• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I will say that while I don't really have a problem with EDH, I've never been super high on "specifically for Commander" cards. I don't know, it feels like those cards kind of defeat the purpose of the format.
Five colour EDH decks never even play their commanders.

I hate five colour EDH decks.

jph139

I will say that while I don't really have a problem with EDH, I've never been super high on "specifically for Commander" cards. I don't know, it feels like those cards kind of defeat the purpose of the format.

Honestly, I agree. The "stone soup" nature of deck building is probably the most interesting part of the format - I always feel like I'm cheating a bit when I include cards from Commander sets and the like.

OnPoint

Five colour EDH decks never even play their commanders.

I hate five colour EDH decks.

I play Karona when I want the game to end in my 5-color Group Hug deck. That false god brings a real apocalypse with her.

Commander has given them a good opportunity to do that. A bunch of new Commanders and cards from both New Phyrexia and Kamigawa, which they've mostly stayed away from in the past.

They've "mostly stayed away from" everywhere, really. Scars was the first return block they've done in some time, and a New Phyrexia return is supposedly in the works. How do you figure they've actively avoided it? EDIT: Unless you mean Kamigawa? Which I agree with you on.

Toxi

Banned
I play Karona when I want the game to end in my 5-color Group Hug deck.
giphy.gif

kirblar

Maro selectively answers questions, so it really comes off like he's trying to shunt blame for BFZ being pretty bad.
He's been in cover-your-ass mode on this even before the set came out or we had any spoilers. Very, very defensive.

Neoweee

I play Karona when I want the game to end in my 5-color Group Hug deck. That false god brings a real apocalypse with her.

They've "mostly stayed away from" everywhere, really. Scars was the first return block they've done in some time, and a New Phyrexia return is supposedly in the works. How do you figure they've actively avoided it? EDIT: Unless you mean Kamigawa? Which I agree with you on.

Ah, I should have clarified.

I'm mostly referring to the previous Commander sets, and the annual core sets, and Origins. M13 and M14 had scattered callbacks to old blocks, but stayed out of Mirrodin and Kamigawa (as far as I can recall). Likewise, M15 had an increased number of callbacks, but still stayed away from those two settings, outside of Soul of New Phyrexia (likely forgetting 1 or 2 cards). Then Origins has 10 planes, but both Mirrodin and Kamigawa are missing.

This year's commander product is a return to both, and I like it.

kirblar

Maro basically stops paying attention to sets by the end of Development, and feels almost completely divorced from discussions on power level except when he's talking about how the entire team almost got fired for Urza's Block.

With regards to that guy's question or comment that Maro was responding to, Wizards does do a bunch of surveys and market research. Their big problem, or at least my impression of it, is that they don't do a proper job of trying to correct for power level's entanglement with the other aspects they study, like art, flavor, settings, or mechanics. Kamigawa is like bottom of the barrel in everything including art/flavor/setting, which seems nuts to me. People like things that are powerful, and liking them for power level taints how much they like everything else about the card or mechanics.
There were serious, serious issue with westerners not understanding the flavor.

The set was Tom LaPille's Samurai cosplay Otaku wet dream. To everyone else whose knowledge of Japanese mythology was 100% based on Inuyasha, it totally didn't work.

Crocodile

He's been in cover-your-ass mode on this even before the set came out or we had any spoilers. Very, very defensive.

I like Maro quite a bit but it REALLY, REALLY sucks that Maro is like one of a handful, and the most prominent, of voices that write about Magic design analytically at all. His obvious, though understandable, bias often makes him useless in discussions about Magic sets that are still for sale :/

Also the fact that Magic is big enough nowadays that I feel most sets will be strong sellers regardless of card quality as long as it has enough appealing metrics (full art lands, expeditions, etc.)

bigkrev

There were serious, serious issue with westerners not understanding the flavor.

The set was Tom LaPille's Samurai cosplay Otaku wet dream. To everyone else whose knowledge of Japanese mythology was 100% based on Inuyasha, it totally didn't work.

I'm so angry to admit that this was me at the time. Fell asleep to that show every schoolnight

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I like Maro quite a bit but it REALLY, REALLY sucks that Maro is like one of a handful, and the most prominent, of voices that write about Magic design analytically at all. His obvious, though understandable, bias often makes him useless in discussions about Magic sets that are still for sale :/

Also the fact that Magic is big enough nowadays that I feel most sets will be strong sellers regardless of card quality as long as it has enough appealing metrics (full art lands, expeditions, etc.)

This has been a problem for some time now, and I believe it's only getting worse. The true issue is that the people who are really qualified to writing about Magic from a truly analytical interest are ones that are almost always going to have bias. The very people qualified to write about Magic on that level either have the potential to work for Wizards in the future or have worked with Wizards in the past. At the very least, the people in a position to discuss design decisions on a higher level all have a vested interest in the success of Magic as a product. This tarnishes their ability to write without at least some bias in place.

Maro is great when looking back that things that no longer affect Wizards financially, but completely ineffectual when discussing current sets through any critical lens. It's basically impossible for their to be well-informed sources of critical discussion on new Magic set design and development without looking to people who have at least a tangential relationship with that very design or development and that means we get little in the way of actual analysis from that perspective.

OnPoint

Ah, I should have clarified.

I'm mostly referring to the previous Commander sets, and the annual core sets, and Origins. M13 and M14 had scattered callbacks to old blocks, but stayed out of Mirrodin and Kamigawa (as far as I can recall). Likewise, M15 had an increased number of callbacks, but still stayed away from those two settings, outside of Soul of New Phyrexia (likely forgetting 1 or 2 cards). Then Origins has 10 planes, but both Mirrodin and Kamigawa are missing.

This year's commander product is a return to both, and I like it.

I feel like with Kamigawa, they've stayed away due to the lack of popularity. I always hoped that with New Phyrexia, they stayed away to keep a veil of mystery up with it.

ACE 1991

Anyone know what the inventory is like in terms of singles at Star City events? There's an event in Philly this weekend and I'm looking to get the rest of my U/W Tempered Steel Affinity deck. Are prices reasonable usually, or will I save a lot of money by buying online?

Here is what I still need, for what it's worth:
4 Cranial Plating
3 Springleaf Drum
1 Frogmite
4 Memnite
4 Signal Pest
4 Vault Skirge
3 Thoughtcast
4 Tempered Steel
2 Ensoul Artifact
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Rapid Hybridization
3 Negate
3 Spreading Seas
2 Relic of Progenitus

Toxi

Banned
idek man i figured he's well known enough in the community that his final swan dive off the deep end was discussion worthy
I feel like my brain is twisting itself into a knot and slipping out my ear with his bizarro version of history.

"I hate it when the Jews take over."

DUDE FUCKING LISTEN TO YOURSELF

sgjackson

FDSKWKu.jpg

Magus of the Wheel
2R
Creature - Human Wizard
1R, Tap, Sacrifice Magus of the Wheel: Each player discards his or her hand, then draws seven cards.
3/3

Toxi

Banned
FDSKWKu.jpg

Magus of the Wheel
2R
Creature - Human Wizard
1R, Tap, Sacrifice Magus of the Wheel: Each player discards his or her hand, then draws seven cards.
3/3
Oh yes, I like this a lot. Wheel of Fortune is one of my favorite Magic cards and I love the Magus creatures.

New Magus cycle is just the thing to help me forget insane antisemitic rants.

OnPoint

Gaby Vs Kenji was a fun match to watch. It's a shame he made that error for his Jace ultimate -- he could have won. But it was still enjoyable to watch. I love that Eldrazi Ramp deck. If I were playing Standard that's where I'd be.

Toxi

Banned
Some ideas for other entries in the new Magus cycle

• White: Magus of the Balance (Balance)
  • Blue: Magus of the Spiral (Time Spiral)
  • Black: Magus of the Will (Yawgmoth's Will) or Magus of the Pox (Pox)
  • Green: Magus of the Zenith (Green Sun's Zenith)

EDIT: Time Spiral is a bit too similar to Wheel of Fortune. Maybe Tinker?

ACE 1991

Anyone know what the inventory is like in terms of singles at Star City events? There's an event in Philly this weekend and I'm looking to get the rest of my U/W Tempered Steel Affinity deck. Are prices reasonable usually, or will I save a lot of money by buying online?

Here is what I still need, for what it's worth:
4 Cranial Plating
3 Springleaf Drum
1 Frogmite
4 Memnite
4 Signal Pest
4 Vault Skirge
3 Thoughtcast
4 Tempered Steel
2 Ensoul Artifact
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Rapid Hybridization
3 Negate
3 Spreading Seas
2 Relic of Progenitus

Any input? Just curious as to what I can expect.

FDSKWKu.jpg

Magus of the Wheel
2R
Creature - Human Wizard
3/3

Ooh, a sorcery Magus cycle (maybe). I like this one a lot. It looks like the creature cost reflects the original spell, but the sacrifice cost can be anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gaby Vs Kenji was a fun match to watch. It's a shame he made that error for his Jace ultimate -- he could have won. But it was still enjoyable to watch. I love that Eldrazi Ramp deck. If I were playing Standard that's where I'd be.
Don't know what the error was but there usually has to be a good reason to ult Jace even if you can. For me it's - playing against control and I have at least 3 spells in my hand. Otherwise I'll just tick him up to the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom