• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wheel of Fortune isn't illegal right? Because I have it in my deck...

OnPoint

Don't know what the error was but there usually has to be a good reason to ult Jace even if you can. For me it's - playing against control and I have at least 3 spells in my hand. Otherwise I'll just tick him up to the moon.

He should have cracked his fetch on her end step before activating him so he'd flip. He was one turn away from the ultimate before it got removed by Ulamog. If he had done it that turn, he would have had an emblem on time and likely won. He even mentioned it in the post-game conversation.

Some ideas for other entries in the new Magus cycle
My guesses.

• White: Magus of the Sunrise (Second Sunrise)
  • Blue: Magus of the Tide (High Tide)
  • Black: Magus of the Dead (Living Death) or Magus of the Damned (Damnation)
  • Green: Magus of the Order (Natural Order)

Toxi

Banned
My guesses.

• White: Magus of the Sunrise (Second Sunrise)
  • Blue: Magus of the Tide (High Tide)
  • Black: Magus of the Dead (Living Death) or Magus of the Damned (Damnation)
  • Green: Magus of the Order (Natural Order)
Second Sunrise and High Tide are Instants, so I don't think they'd be used for the cycle since Wheel of Fortune is a Sorcery.

But Living Death and Natural Order would be awesome.

Crocodile

A) Before Woo was just weird and eccentric. This take it up to lunatic tier if this is all true (I haven't watched the Twitch archive) O_O

B) These two red cards have been the best ones spoiled today. Pretty cool. Didn't expect a new Magus (though I'm not sure I want to assume its a cycle just yet).

I like Maro quite a bit but it REALLY, REALLY sucks that Maro is like one of a handful, and the most prominent, of voices that write about Magic design analytically at all. His obvious, though understandable, bias often makes him useless in discussions about Magic sets that are still for sale :/

so basically we need, like, a less hypermanic and relentlessly cynical version of killing a goldfish

(Really the people best situated to do this kind of analysis are former Wizards but so far no one in that slot has really seemed interested in doing so.)

Magus of the Wheel

Oh man, this guy rules.

B) These two red cards have been the best ones spoiled today. Pretty cool. Didn't expect a new Magus (though I'm not sure I want to assume its a cycle just yet).

It might not be, but I really hope it is. The Magus cycles were awesome in TSP block and there's obvious room for another full cycle of ones that work like this and cast powerful sorceries.

OnPoint

Second Sunrise and High Tide are Instants, so I don't think they'd be used for the cycle since Wheel of Fortune is a Sorcery.

But Living Death and Natural Order would be awesome.

I'd be surprised if the cycle required all the inspirations to be sorceries, but hey, you never know.

Toxi

Banned
Fun fact: Magus of the Wheel is FUCKING INSANE with Feldon of the Third Path.

Image.ashx

I'd be surprised if the cycle required all the inspirations to be sorceries, but hey, you never know.
Letting Instants be in the cycle would give Wizards some more freedom, but I kinda want to see it just be sorceries now so we can get another cycle based on instants, lol.

Jhriad

did travis woo seriously come out as a holocaust denier tonight

Listening to it now but at around 1:09 he specifically states that the holocaust did in fact happen in response to someone in chat. He makes sure to state multiple times that, "a million people died." Once he says "a million or ten million" since his grasp of the facts is pretty loose. Also, the haze of pot smoke that must blanket the room he's in probably makes concentration a little difficult.

It's a lot of gobbledygook and so far he has meandered into some really fucking dumb shit "trying to understand why the Germans did what they did" by reading Mein Kampf and, from the sounds of things, little else on the subject. Oh, wait. He said his other source for information was, "A YouTube video... if you look up Zionist Jew converts to Catholicism and exposes Jewish Conspiracy(link included here) you'll find it." Seriously? A YouTube video of a speech given in 1961 is his other piece of source material?

Toxi

Banned
Listening to it now but at around 1:09 he specifically states that the holocaust did in fact happen in response to someone in chat. He makes sure to state multiple times that, "a million people died." Once he says "a million or ten million" since his grasp of the facts is pretty loose. Also, the haze of pot smoke that must blanket the room he's in probably makes concentration a little difficult.

It's a lot of gobbledygook and so far he has meandered into some really fucking dumb shit "trying to understand why the Germans did what they did" by reading Mein Kampf and, from the sounds of things, little else on the subject. Oh, wait. He said his other source for information was, "A YouTube video... if you look up Zionist Jew converts to Catholicism and exposes Jewish Conspiracy(link included here) you'll find it." Seriously? A YouTube video of a speech given in 1961 is his other piece of source material?
He also thinks the US entered World War 2 to help save the Jewish people from the Holocaust.

I'm not sure how much of his rambling is delusion and how much is just plain ignorance of history.

sgjackson

i went from "wait i just heard about this wtf" to seeking it out myself and hearing him couch his insanity with a lot of "yeah this shit was bad man"

Jhriad

I'm not sure how much of his rambling is delusion and how much is just plain ignorance of history.

A lot of the latter from the 45 minutes I listened to. After several minutes asking why we were still in Iraq and wondering aloud if we've ever gotten a statement as to why we're still there I decided to turn it off. It was mildly entertaining for a bit but I had my fill.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some ideas for other entries in the new Magus cycle

• White: Magus of the Balance (Balance)
  • Blue: Magus of the Spiral (Time Spiral)
  • Black: Magus of the Will (Yawgmoth's Will) or Magus of the Pox (Pox)
  • Green: Magus of the Zenith (Green Sun's Zenith)

EDIT: Time Spiral is a bit too similar to Wheel of Fortune. Maybe Tinker?
Timetwister is probably less busted than Time Spiral

Toxi

Banned
Interesting how Anya encourages you not to focus on killing one opponent at a time, since an opponent who loses is out of the game.

I sense there will be many obnoxious concessions in response to attacks with her though.

Lucario

Arachnogenesis {2}{G}
Instant
Put X 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield where X is the number of creatures attacking you. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn by non-Spider creatures.

That's one hell of a fog.

ElyrionX

Arachnogenesis {2}{G}
Instant
Put X 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield where X is the number of creatures attacking you. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn by non-Spider creatures.

Wouldn't this be a huge blowout against tokens?

Toxi

Banned
Arachnogenesis {2}{G}
Instant

The world could always use more spiders.

blogatog said:

iod256 asked: You often use the example of the "G 1/1 Snake with Flash, Deathtouch and ETB fight ability" as an example of breaking the color pie without going outside of what the color can do. Isn't that the same case with Ezuri's Predation? It's essentially a one-sided Languish. Is this another case of Commander oversight or what?

I believe it is out of color pie for the same reasons.

God please never let this man anywhere near these supplemental products, his ridiculous pie-nazi attitude is going to ruin them.

God please never let this man anywhere near these supplemental products, his ridiculous pie-nazi attitude is going to ruin them.

To be fair, Ezuri's Predation really is basically "deal 4 damage to each creature an opponent controls" with an upside.

Compare it to Flame Wave.
Image.ashx

Toxi

Banned
To be fair, Ezuri's Predation really is basically "deal 4 damage to each creature an opponent controls" with an upside.

Compare it to Flame Wave.
Image.ashx
Mirror Match, the card he spoiled on his own blog, is often "Destroy each creature attacking you".

mirrormatch.jpg

If that's okay, I think Ezuri's Predation is okay.

pigeon

Banned

I don't necessarily see a problem with feeling strongly about color pie if it's done well. But even now there are pretty big weaknesses, such as with red's portion of the pie.

Notice that development was happy to write a column saying that there's a problem with red's pie slice and they need to fix it. Guess who hasn't mentioned anything about that in his column?

Which is so much less than any actual type of problem whatsoever for Commander. There are so many existing color pie breaks in the legacy cardpool, and so much weird insane nonsense that can go on, that a card like this (which, although it does nuke a bunch of opposing creatures, does do it entirely with mechanisms that are supposed to be available to green) threatens absolutely nothing.

I honestly think this is the single thing that Rosewater is the most absurdly, patently wrong about. The idea that new card design that's exclusive to eternal formats should follow the same color pie as new sets is insulting. Those formats already have a permanently bent, screwed-up color pie (that heavily favors blue, of course) because of old cards that nobody can do anything about. The only way to actually design cards for those formats if you actually care more about gameplay than abstract design principles is to let other colors bend what they can do as well. In four iterations of these Commander decks, we've seen a bunch of these cards -- usually in green or red, the worst eternal colors -- that play well, that make for interesting gameplay and expand the set of possible color options in Commander games, and which have no impact whatsoever on Standard unless someone actively chooses to reprint them there.

The reason this really galls me is that, moreso than anything else, it really makes it obvious how narrow Rosewater's actual view of formats is, because no one who actually plays and cares about Vintage or Legacy or Commander would ever hold this position (as should be obvious from the design teams for the Commander decks who keep creating these cards.)

Commander designers are completely separate from the rest?

It's the same designers that you'd get on Standard sets, but they are typically used as proving grounds for newer designers, and MaRo isn't there to enforce the color pie.

And unrelated,
146.jpg

I feel 12 again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I swear angels have their lower legs locked into that pose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom