• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Angels have the sickest art.

Ezuri's Predation is wholly green. It makes big creatures, fights and is best paired with ramp. Short of the creatures having trample and reach, it's about as green as you can get. Not seeing the color pie stretching here. At least not since fight was introduced as green's creature removal mechanic.

Unban Jace in Modern. Because Modern is too expensive and that'll help.

Toxi

Banned
Barely any ass for those.
It's more a question of concentration rather than quantity. A lot of Dryad art, especially Dryad art made after Magic's early days, is T&A-focused. Not just in the creature cards, but also in Dryad-related art like Dryad's Caress. There are a lot more angels and they tend to be more balanced with the fanservice, but Dryads after a certain point in Magic's history were almost all fanservice.

On a side note, Chorus of the Conclave might have the most laughable art in Ravnica. The great leaders of the Selesnya are a bunch of Victoria's Secret models.

Chorus-of-the-Conclave.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chorus of the Conclave was a card I loved in one of my early, casual GW token decks. Which tells you everything you need to know about what I miss about casual Magic

Ashodin

Get me some goddamn male angels

I hate that angels are only female

edit: the only way you get wings on a dude is if they're enchanted

angelic_gift_by_robotdelespacio-d9aegpw.jpg

It's more a question of concentration rather than quantity. A lot of Dryad art, especially Dryad art made after Magic's early days, is T&A-focused. Not just in the creature cards, but also in Dryad-related art like Dryad's Caress. There are a lot more angels and they tend to be more balanced with the fanservice, but Dryads after a certain point in Magic's history were almost all fanservice.

On a side note, Chorus of the Conclave might have the most laughable art in Ravnica. The great leaders of the Selesnya are a bunch of Victoria's Secret models.

Chorus-of-the-Conclave.jpg

Yeah that art is awful. Iirc it puts +1/+1 counters the amount of their cmc onto creatures when they ETB.

Dryads aren't supposed to go into massive battles while wearing armor that's little more than bikinis though. And they pose much more naturally than most angels.

Both subtypes have truly awful fanservice art.

Another subtype qualm have is prophets. If you search for prophet you find clerics, wizards and shamans. What is it now, shaman and clerics make sense since both are spiritual but not wizards. Wizards aren't prophets, they are the opposite to faith.

what i got out of this is ivy dancer has incredible art

mm3D02S.jpg

it's feminine, but powerful (i love the musculature in the back). your eye travels over the dryad then lands on the dead people at her feet. this shit is so fucking awesome.
Terese is awesome.

On this dryad talk, I wish WotC had gone crazy and printed Dryad Arbor in this standard.

The wording does have a strange flow to it, but it's worded like that so you can't do the Fiend Hunter permanent exile trick.

Yeah but I always liked that interaction and it needed an enabler too so it was fine imo. The new wording makes all of them effectively worse since the targeted cards have never been exiled if the source is removed before the trigger resolves.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Yeah but I always liked that interaction and it needed an enable too so it was fine imo. The new wording makes all of them effectively worse since the targeted cards have never been exiled if the source is removed before the trigger resolves.

I agree with you 100% on that, I run Fiend Hunter and Whitemane Lion in my commander deck and its always a joy to see that combo resolve. Then I sometimes get that, wait, what just happened from my opponent.

It prevents LSV from breaking MTGO "for value"
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

Oh LSV, never change. MODO looked way worse but also kinda better

This card is actually pretty cool. Makes people think about how much they want their permanent back versus how much they don't want their opponents getting theirs back.

It's nice that they're printing new cards that are somewhat political, they should have reprinted some of the conspiracy keywords.

4 damage to each of x target creatures and/or players

Firemind

Even tho I don't play white in EDH, that's a great card design for the format.
That is sure to piss off everyone else at the table.

also that red yawgmoth's will lol what dumb art. i was expecting some sort of bankai or equal badassness.

edit: also what a weird template. why doesn't it just say 'target instant or sorcery card'?

I will say that while I don't really have a problem with EDH, I've never been super high on "specifically for Commander" cards. I don't know, it feels like those cards kind of defeat the purpose of the format.

As much as I hate that stuff as well, if I ever make another Commander deck after I finish my Teysa, Orzhov Scion and Vendilion Clique ones it'd have to be Jeleva. She's the only Legendary Grixis creature with a thief theme. I guess I could just rebuild Lord of Tresserhorn and use my opponents' creatures to sac to his ETB trigger but that's pretty medium.

Grixis Thieves EDH seems fun. Dack Fayden, Olivia Voldaren, Nicol Bolas Planeswalker.

bigkrev

Magus+of+the+Wheel_C15_ja.jpg

Magus of the Wheel 2R
creature-Human wizard
1R, Tap, sacrifice Magus of the wheel: each player discards his or her hand, then draws seven cards.
3/3

Always down for another playable wheel effect!

ACE 1991

IRL = Online. They're nice and consistent like that. Just buy what you need (SCG/FB LP = really close to NM btw) and order for pickup.

Thanks! I ordered the rest of my deck for pickup at the Philly SCG event. All told, the deck cost me $70. Not too bad for my first foray into Modern and what seems like a (somewhat) competitive deck for local stuff. I'll definitely build it up with better and more expensive cards as I go on. Link to what I bought if anyone cares: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel

Bandini

Can't decide if I want the BW or the BG Commander deck, they both look pretty cool so far. This better not be some shit where I can't get the deck I want because it has a card that's good for Legacy or Modern and a bunch of jabronis are buying everything up to resell.

GB, did Cockatrice go down for you last night? I tried getting back on for 10 or 15 min then finally said screw it and went to bed

Crocodile

Meren looks sweet. I like that you can get value even if you never get any experience counters. Also 4 toughness is very valuable.

Bandini

Thanks! I ordered the rest of my deck for pickup at the Philly SCG event. All told, the deck cost me $70. Not too bad for my first foray into Modern and what seems like a (somewhat) competitive deck for local stuff. I'll definitely build it up with better and more expensive cards as I go on. Link to what I bought if anyone cares: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel

Looks good, Affinity is always a solid choice even with the insane amount of sideboard hate it faces. Now might be a good time to pick up or trade for the Mox Opals if you can, it was recently reprinted in MM 15 and I'd expect it starts going up in price again soon.

ACE 1991

Looks good, Affinity is always a solid choice even with the insane amount of sideboard hate it faces. Now might be a good time to pick up or trade for the Mox Opals if you can, it was recently reprinted in MM 15 and I'd expect it starts going up in price again soon.

Yeah, I read that... Really don't want to spend anymore money on MtG until after the holidays, though. Someday! I really wonder how well this deck is going to perform at Modern night at the LGS's in Philly. There is a pretty big community in my city so I assume I'll get crushed buy more expensive decks, but oh well.

Uncharted Realms - All the Cairns of Jund

The story of Meren. She went through a ritual to become a shaman, but used death magic during the trial, which was unknown to the residents of Jund at the time, and was thus left to die by her clan. She managed to survive and traveled to Grixis to practice her skills. Now she's back to kill not just her clan, but everyone on Jund.

This story makes it clear to me that Alara had terrible, terrible art. Also, everyone in the story being a dick aside, I thought it was pretty decent.

EDIT: The flavor text for Meteor Volley is pretty good.
0028_MTGC15_FR_HRR.png

"Behold the impact of astronomy on war." - Fennor Rhyr, astronomer

Firemind

Uncharted Realms - All the Cairns of Jund

The story of Meren. She went through a ritual to become a shaman, but used death magic during the trial, which was unknown to the residents of Jund at the time, and was thus left to die by her clan. She managed to survive and traveled to Grixis to practice her skills. Now she's back to kill not just her clan, but everyone on Jund.

This story makes it clear to me that Alara had terrible, terrible art. Also, everyone in the story being a dick aside, I thought it was pretty decent.

EDIT: The flavor text for Meteor Volley is pretty good.
0028_MTGC15_FR_HRR.png

"Behold the impact of astronomy on war." - Fennor Rhyr, astronomer
what are you talking about

meren has top tier art. i love how she has a pet zombie dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom