• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently it was presented in hypotheticals, but twoo is nuts so I can't really say what I think he actually believes.

In other news, I am not having fun playing Jund in modern, so I'll be playing Taking Turns at GP Pittsburgh for the laughs. Might as well have fun if I know I won't do well.

Interesting...why don't you like Jund? It's definitely a good stuff-ish deck, but I certainly had a lot of fun with it while I had it together.

And comment of the day goes to....

9snuXoQ.png

Not really making a comment on the situation, but it should be said that TSG has noted beef with ChannelFireball.

Toxi

Banned
I agree that it's exceedingly important to maintain a level of self-awareness about what you're being exposed to (having a diverse circle of friends is key here). However, I very much disagree with the assertion that you should refuse to expose yourself to certain ideas just because someone else told you they're toxic.
The problem is that generally, we're a lot less self-aware than we think we are.

Hence what happened with Travis Woo deciding to read Mein Kampf and other Nazi propaganda despite having very little knowledge about the actual history of that time. He thought he was well-informed, but he wasn't.

There's no easy solution; you have to expose yourself to new ideas, but you also have to make sure you don't assimilate the bad ones. And when it comes to ideology like Nazism that embodies the worst of humanity, you need a hell of a lot of knowledge to protect you before you go skinny-dipping in that pool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not really making a comment on the situation, but it should be said that TSG has noted beef with ChannelFireball.

wasn't he the dude who was stealing a bunch of inventory and then listing on ebay (on his own fucking account)

G.ZZZ

Brilliant what? A minority group of jews being in control of much of the world economic and politic power is nothing new, just see how america is basically all the time behind a country that is perpetrating constant genocide in the middle east.

The notion that we don't have to read or try things is stupid, ideas are not like heroin, and drugs aren't "bad" in themselves, their abuse is bad, like everything.

This whole left winged shtick of "we refuse discussion because there's nothing more to be said" is one of the worst shit that ever came out in the last years. I realize why it came to light, the internet is making actual debate impossible, but if our answer is just to isolate ourselves this world is going to shit.

To be calling something "evil" and feeling there's no merit in analyzing an idea or a concept leave you exposed to the same mistake many people do: that evil actually exist, and that you can use "figthing Evil" as a pretext to do almost anything. Doing bad things is always motivated in a belief of a "evil" for figthing which anything is justified. So no thank you, i'll read everything and revel in the fact that people are stupid, see things in dichotomy, and reality is just shades of gray.

And no, i'm not saying that there's merit in the Nazi ideology, i'm saying that the concept the book is founded off is easily dismantled (in general all those ideologies are based on shit premises because they conflate the few with the majority or even the totality, or accept the faulty assumption that humanity can be "grouped" as they were mathematical objects) and just saying "wow heroin u read forbidden book u're now corrupted" is a disservice toward the capabilities of the human mind and offend me even more than an idiot reading mein kampf and saying "wow so maybe nazi were not evil", because the latter at least read and can still be educated, the first just refuse at priori.

Toxi

Banned
Brilliant what? A minority group of jews being in control of much of the world economic and politic power is nothing new, just see how america is basically all the time behind a country that is perpetrating constant genocide in the middle east.

...Well, this thread went places.

Matriox

Interesting...why don't you like Jund? It's definitely a good stuff-ish deck, but I certainly had a lot of fun with it while I had it together.

Probably being unfamiliar with the format is a giant contributor, but not sure otherwise, I just wasn't having fun. It seemed like every game I was playing we would both go into topdeck mode and I would end up losing. I lost several games last fnm from Thoughtseize/IoK away some cards and Liliana to finish off the hand, and somehow wasn't anywhere in board state or better hands even though I dropped Tarmogoyfs and manland left and right. I probably got unlucky as hell, but being inexperienced with the deck and format it was really disheartening to be beat by topdecks all night.

This in combination that the players I was playing against weren't even playing tier 1 decks. I lost to some elf ramp deck that tries to power out crater hoof, Lost to a top deck genesis wave twice that round. round 2 I lost to some 4c deck that was better than me at taking hands apart with snapcaster and proceeded to dump on me with Spirit tokens and tasigur. Round 3 I actually won against burn, but it wasn't a stock burn list. Round 4 I lost to American control, top deckd a supreme verdict against me with Keranos in play, board wiped me and shot my Liliana with keranos trigger leaving me with an empty hand and no man lands. All in all I just think I probably just played poorly, but I know I got shit on by luck a bit too. Just wasn't a very good experience considering I've only played the deck for 2 fnm and didn't do super well at either.

There's something about modern I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not price either. So here's the deck I'd rather play because I seem to do better with jank than tier 1 decks: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/127413. It isn't quite where I want it yet, but this is the outline Ive drawn.

Lucario

I agree that it's exceedingly important to maintain a level of self-awareness about what you're being exposed to (having a diverse circle of friends is key here). However, I very much disagree with the assertion that you should refuse to expose yourself to certain ideas just because someone else told you they're toxic.

I think we got different messages from the post. Shutting yourself off to ideas because others think they're "too dangerous" is absolutely not productive, and if that's what Spruke intended, I disagree with him as well.

What I took away from the "dangerous ideas" bit at the end was that exploring controversial topics (really, any topic) requires diligence and research. TWoo attempted to have an objective discussion of WW2 with no sources other than Mein Kampf, twitch chat, and a few factoids from fringe websites. Instead of admitting that he didn't know why the US became involved in World War 2, he regurgitated the party line of holocaust deniers.

...It's possible that I'm way off-base here, and simply read what I wanted to hear.

On another note, I realized that Shadows over Innistrad could actually use unearth instead of flashback. It would work sort of as a callback to both flashback and undying. Plus, the red Snapcaster equivalent wouldn't be directly comparable.

Unearther Mage - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
When Unearther Mage enters the battlefield, target creature card in your graveyard gains unearth until end of turn. The unearth cost is equal to its mana cost. (Return the card to the battlefield for its unearth cost. The creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
Unearth 2RR
2/1

Lucario

On another note, I realized that Shadows over Innistrad could actually use unearth instead of flashback. It would work sort of as a callback to both flashback and undying. Plus, the red Snapcaster equivalent wouldn't be directly comparable.

Unearther Mage - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
When Unearther Mage enters the battlefield, target creature card in your graveyard gains unearth until end of turn. The unearth cost is equal to its mana cost. (Return the card to the battlefield for its unearth cost. The creature gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield. Unearth only as a sorcery.)
Unearth 2RR
2/1
That's smart. I'd really like to see unearth come back next Standard, seems like there's a lot of unexplored design space for it. Hopefully innistrad has a strong graveyard focus again.

Angry Grimace

Probably being unfamiliar with the format is a giant contributor, but not sure otherwise, I just wasn't having fun. It seemed like every game I was playing we would both go into topdeck mode and I would end up losing. I lost several games last fnm from Thoughtseize/IoK away some cards and Liliana to finish off the hand, and somehow wasn't anywhere in board state or better hands even though I dropped Tarmogoyfs and manland left and right. I probably got unlucky as hell, but being inexperienced with the deck and format it was really disheartening to be beat by topdecks all night.

This in combination that the players I was playing against weren't even playing tier 1 decks. I lost to some elf ramp deck that tries to power out crater hoof, Lost to a top deck genesis wave twice that round. round 2 I lost to some 4c deck that was better than me at taking hands apart with snapcaster and proceeded to dump on me with Spirit tokens and tasigur. Round 3 I actually won against burn, but it wasn't a stock burn list. Round 4 I lost to American control, top deckd a supreme verdict against me with Keranos in play, board wiped me and shot my Liliana with keranos trigger leaving me with an empty hand and no man lands. All in all I just think I probably just played poorly, but I know I got shit on by luck a bit too. Just wasn't a very good experience considering I've only played the deck for 2 fnm and didn't do super well at either.

There's something about modern I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. It's not price either. So here's the deck I'd rather play because I seem to do better with jank than tier 1 decks: http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/127413. It isn't quite where I want it yet, but this is the outline Ive drawn.

I'd chalk it up to some unfamiliarity because Jund is THE topdeck machine because the card quality is so high.

Angry Grimace

Speaking of Modern, I just lost a match with GR Tron due to some kind of insane number of comical misplays on my part.

Toxi

Banned

Unearther Mage - 1R
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
Unearth 2RR
2/1
That seems like it should be Black.

But seeming like it should be another color is fitting for Snapcaster Mage v2.

Set returns usually won't happen as quickly as with Innistrad, they had a special reason for doing so
klouthluz asked: Maro, I loved original Innistrad and liked a lot that we are going back next year. What I think is the problem is that it still seems so fresh. Perhaps many players are like this too, thus all the complaining... Maybe we could leave a bigger gap between meeting and returning to a plane... Anyway, I trust you, you've been doing this for almost as long as I've been alive. =)

Originally, we weren’t going to visit Innistrad until next fall, which while fast was not quite as fast. The Two-Block Paradigm sped that up.

As a general rule, we’re not going to be returning this quickly to worlds, but I don’t want to talk about the reasons just yet as to why we did it this.Trust me, there are reasons.

Also, there are a bunch of people arguing that if Ezuri's Predation is a color pie break, then so is Mirror Match. MaRo's response is that blue is able to make instant clones and has large flash creatures, while Ezuri's Predation could conceivably allow a monogreen player to play no creatures but then destroy all of their opponent's creatures.

That seems like it should be Black.

Unearth was black-red-blue in its original incarnation, and Rosewater's said they're considering

I have to assume this relates to whatever block was originally in this slot in the 7-Year Plan that it had to replace.

Also, there are a bunch of people arguing that if Ezuri's Predation is a color pie break, then so is Mirror Match. MaRo's response is that blue is able to make instant clones and has large flash creatures, while Ezuri's Predation could conceivably allow a monogreen player to play no creatures but then destroy all of their opponent's creatures.

This is the exact same as the arguments about polymorphing, etc. where blue is allowed to combine its in-pie mechanics to create seriously out-of-pie effects while every other color has to be scrupulously watched to avoid any scenario where it combines its own mechanics into something bigger.

El Topo

I don't get why people complain so much about the color pie. It was inherently unbalanced and they have been taking steps to make the game more fun, even if it means tweaking things.

OnPoint

I don't get why people complain so much about the color pie. It was inherently unbalanced and they have been taking steps to make the game more fun, even if it means tweaking things.

It's for a few reasons. One of which is blue has in the past been historically favored and the most out of color, though they've taken steps to fix that in modern Magic. One of the other reasons is that some people want their favorite color to have more cool stuff.

Angry Grimace

Okay I'll bite, am I the only one who sees random TCGplayer links in posts made by charlequin?

Sorceries/instants that make creature tokens are functionally creature spells; it's absurd for him to say that Ezuri's Predation doesn't count as "playing a creature."

Okay I'll bite, am I the only one who sees random TCGplayer links in posts made by charlequin?

Not in his posts themselves, but when he quoted me, I see links to OG Ezuri's card in the quoted part of my post.

Sorceries/instants that make creature tokens are functionally creature spells; it's absurd for him to say that Ezuri's Predation doesn't count as "playing a creature."

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like it if it was a creature with that ETB ability, either.

pathbreakeribex.jpg

Why a goat?

Why not? And I'm surprised we're getting a repeatable Craterhoof Behemoth effect. I guess the lack of haste makes it a lot weaker.

Considering what?
MaRo has said in the past that they've considered giving red "temporary reanimation" more regularly, and red already had it in Alara anyway.

I lost to a goat deck in a 5 player MP casual game once. We underestimated the goats and she just took over, eventually.

Mountain Goat is also one of my fave cards, art-wise... And I love landwalk.

Hero

Mirror Match is a dumb card. At the very least the tokens shouldn't trigger ETB effects.

Love how even in Commander sets the hard on for blue is so strong while every other color gets shit.

Mirror Match is a dumb card. At the very least the tokens shouldn't trigger ETB effects.

Love how even in Commander sets the hard on for blue is so strong while every other color gets shit.

mizzixsmastery.jpg

?

It's not like any of the blue cards are good enough to see Legacy play, but this card might.

This ran through my head earlier as well. Hopefully he has people watching his back right now.

Travis Woo always kind of reminded me of this guy(trust me, it's good entertainment). The way he acts is funny and fascinating, but you realize that it's coming from a place influenced by illness and the picture becomes more clear.

red13th

this reasoning is pathetic, but then again it's blue.

Just played agaisnt a Restore Balance and it's a weird deck, the combo seems weak, but my lack of knowledge of the card made me lost, should have known better.

pigeon

Banned

the MIRROR UNIVERSE said:
Also, there are a bunch of people arguing that if Mirror Match is a color pie break, then so is Ezuri's Predation. MaRo's response is that green is able to create lots of token creatures and fight effects, while Mirror Match could conceivably allow a monoblue player to play no creatures but then destroy all of their opponent's creatures.

I mean, it's really not that hard to make semi-functional reprints of classic cards in other colors using entirely in-color effects:

gaNB6N3.png
UXX22Qq.png
wDwG5ug.png

I do think it's important to keep this sort of silly thing from happening, but when you can print a card that does a really cool thing, it's important not to always get too hung up in what it functionally behaves like. I do appreciate that Maro fights as hard as he does for preserving the color pie (even when I disagree with a stance he takes) because it's probably good for the game to have that kind of strong voice in R&D.

This guy can get real big real fast, but note that he gets two counters no matter how much life you gain each time you gain life. Still weird that just one member of the Ghost Council gets his own card.

EDIT:
635822666661966882.png

Corpse Augur 3B
Creature - Zombie Wizard
When ~ dies, you draw X cards and lose X life, where X is equal to the number of creature cards in target player's graveyard.
"Though the flesh is getting cold, the knowledge are still storing in the bones and waiting for dig."
4/2

Angry Grimace

p1p1 - Planar Outburst
p1p2 - Roil Spout or Drana's Emissary?

Passing Drana's Emissary is pretty much ensuring you get cut off the Vamp deck which is the best one.

Then again, Roil Spout is pretty fucking premium and has synergy with Planar Outburst. Probably Roil Spout?

This guy can get real big real fast, but note that he gets two counters no matter how much life you gain each time you gain life. Still weird that just one member of the Ghost Council gets his own card.

He's getting a card because of Teysa Karlov being an important character in Ravnica lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom