• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Actually speaking of Teysa Karlov, the new Ghost Council card seems like a crappy version of Teysa, Orzhov Scion. Why would you run this dude instead of Teysa herself?

Yeef

Actually speaking of Teysa Karlov, the new Ghost Council card seems like a crappy version of Teysa, Orzhov Scion. Why would you run this dude instead of Teysa herself?
They're not really that similar at all.

This new guy gets big whenever you gain life and has the exile ability mainly as an insurance policy. He's more interested in things like Extort and Drana's Emissary than token strategies like Teysa.

Considering what?

lol i did that again

Considering giving red more access to temporary, one-turn resurrection.

Okay I'll bite, am I the only one who sees random TCGplayer links in posts made by charlequin?

I have AutocardAnywhere enabled on NeoGAF so I don't have to constantly google cards that come up in this thread, and I use NeoGAF Quick Quote, Reply and Edit to get a post box at the end of the page... which I guess works by scraping the screen, and therefore picks up the version with the Autocard links already applied when I quote a post? But I didn't notice because... I have AutocardAnywhere on so I expect to see random TCGplayer links everwhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol i did that again

Considering giving red more access to temporary, one-turn resurrection.

I have AutocardAnywhere enabled on NeoGAF so I don't have to constantly google cards that come up in this thread, and I use NeoGAF Quick Quote, Reply and Edit to get a post box at the end of the page... which I guess works by scraping the screen, and therefore picks up the version with the Autocard links already applied when I quote a post? But I didn't notice because... I have AutocardAnywhere on so I expect to see random TCGplayer links everwhere. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Mods and their fancy toys... :)

Maledict

I generally agree with Maro on the colour pie - it does need enforcing strongly, and it is something it's very hard to undo once you cross that line. But I honestly cannot understand how he would be okay with the blue card but not the green card. In my mind the blue card is absolutely the most erroneous of the two - green has far more that plays off and plays into token making than blue does. The blue card really sticks out as something Blue just shouldn't get. Blue is suppossed to stop you before you get a massive attack strike, once you hit that level unsummons and twiddles are generally what it has left.

I guess it's the usual 'blue gets to do stuff because blues power is everything!'...

Ashodin

autocard anywhere is a godsend for this thread

Bloodspore-Thrinax_EN_HRR-215x300.png

Well this is interesting.

After flirting with Sultai for a while, I'm going back to Temur colors. Utilizing converge, with a Radiant Flames for weenie removal and Woodland Wanderer for a beater. Knux is strangely absent, as are Foothills, Atarka and her Command.

Did we ever have a block entirely inspired by Africa? Like southern + central africa.

Basically no white people, nor asian/arab people that for some reason still look somewhat white.

*players can actually remember ;)

But yeah, make another Mirage and get Koth over there and no white people.
Which coincidentally excludes Jace, how unfortunate

Thought Urn (2)
Artifact
You have no maximum hand size.
{T}: Add (1) to your mama pool.

Arjun, the Shifting Flame (4UR)
Legendary Creature - Sphinx
Flying
Whenever you cast a spell, put the cards in your hand on the bottom of your library in any order, then draw that many cards.
5/5

Thanks but I'm quite content with my 1 mama I don't need something to generate more

the last card is an enchantment that becomes a 5/5 flying demon until end of turn when it or an enchantment ETB under your control. Daxos' Pain/Torture/Agony/Torment

- The horror of the Underworld accompanies all those returning to the realm of mortals.

The artifact
Of unlimited possibilities in a reduced space/room (?)

The Sphinx
To express yourself directly in the spirit of ones brown-nosers/bootlickers, your viewpoint emblazons their spirit and ignites their passion
Really hard to make sense of the last one, not sure I completely understand it, my french is rusty af.

y2dvd

In general I like UW more than BW

Passing Drana's Emissary is pretty much ensuring you get cut off the Vamp deck which is the best one.

Then again, Roil Spout is pretty fucking premium and has synergy with Planar Outburst. Probably Roil Spout?

He's getting a card because of Teysa Karlov being an important character in Ravnica lore.

I went with Drana since I haven't done BW allies and in hindsight, it was the wrong pick. It was hard to pick up enough ally creatures as I think it's a popular archetype and I was getting cut off. I didn't see 1 Kalasria Healer go by and that card and cutthroat makes that deck tick.

WU just feels like good stuff thrown together and it works. Kinda hurt that a lot of blue cards eventually opened up the rest of the draft.

Firemind

One mistake players often make is that you're stuck with the colours you draft in the first pack, Good players keep their options open depending on what's being passed.

A recent example is I picked up a Geist-Honored Monk p1p1 in a triple Innistrad draft. Second pack had Murder of Crows, one of the best uncommons in the set, and Bonds of Faith, a good removal spell. I picked the Murder of Crows because of its power level, but after that I didn't see many good blue cards. So I picked up a few more white cards, a late Brimstone Volley and a Dead Weight. Now with the second pack, I can go either blue, black or red as my secondary colour. I ended up W/B and passed on Murder of Crows and Brimstone Volley.
I still lost the first round against burning vengeance. oh well.

I went with Drana since I haven't done BW allies and in hindsight, it was the wrong pick. It was hard to pick up enough ally creatures as I think it's a popular archetype and I was getting cut off. I didn't see 1 Kalasria Healer go by and that card and cutthroat makes that deck tick.

WU just feels like good stuff thrown together and it works. Kinda hurt that a lot of blue cards eventually opened up the rest of the draft.

The problems with allies is that rally is great in pretty much every deck and the cards you need will end up being cut. I played decks with like 3 allies total, 1 with a rally effect I really wanted and the others filler or coincidentally allies.

Drana's emissary is just good on its own though you don't have to go full BW allies just because of it. And even though it's great it shouldn't even lock you in your colours as 2nd pick.

This has to be in the next OT

Not only is there no blue-red artifact general, but the second slot is wasted on some garbage instead. And at this point it's looking like there's no Magus cycle which sucks. Disappointing.

bigkrev

There has got to be a way to break that Sphinx in constructed, right? That has never been an effect that has been repeatable before, and you can use it to basically stack your deck with free spells and cantrips

Firemind

Would it have been too broken if it was just plain Counterspell?

There has got to be a way to break that Sphinx in constructed, right? That has never been an effect that has been repeatable before, and you can use it to basically stack your deck with free spells and cantrips
Image.ashx

The only card in this set with real constructed application (so far) is Yawgmoth's Will 3.0.

The black graveyard dragon looks close, but I doubt it really goes anywhere.

Crocodile

Would it have been too broken if it was just plain Counterspell?

All the Confluences are designed in a manner such that you would be reasonably expected to choose one of the modes more than once in a single casting. Other than vs. Storm or in a counterwar (both very rare in Commander games), I can't imagine very many situations where you'd want to choose straight Counterspell more than once. I'm sure its "only" a leak to encourage you to choose the mode more than once more often.

Which card is Yawg 3.0 again?

Mizzix's Mastery?

Token you posted is New Phyrexia - tokens are for Ezuri's Predation

ultron87

How so?

Counterspells are terrible in EDH and for one mana more, you can have Counterspell + draw cards equal to its mana cost.

I feel like the flexibility on this one is huge. With a straight up counterspell sometimes nothing happens you want to counter and you waste your mana. With this, if nothing happens that you need to counter it is Jace's Ingenuity. So it never rots away in your hand. If you need to counter one big thing they tap out for it is Counter + Draw 2. If there's a meddlesome creature you can Bounce + Draw 2. Or bounce a bunch of stuff. Etc etc. Plenty of decks play Cryptic, and this does a reasonable impression, and is sometimes better since it often does a lot of the stuff you'd do with Cryptic + draw and instead draws 2 for one more mana.

en_KrFJ6WHvCU.png

What card does this belong to? From the weird name, I expected it to be from an older card, but Gatherer isn't showing any card that creates a Lightning Rager token.

OnPoint

Was wondering about Lightning Rager myself.

Also, another point about that "snake". It's got 4 arms. But it's a 1/1? Get the fuck out of here with that. Even a Typhoid Rat is more powerful than this thing.

Firemind

I feel like the flexibility on this one is huge. With a straight up counterspell sometimes nothing happens you want to counter and you waste your mana. With this, if nothing happens that you need to counter it is Jace's Ingenuity. So it never rots away in your hand. If you need to counter one big thing they tap out for it is Counter + Draw 2. If there's a meddlesome creature you can Bounce + Draw 2. Or bounce a bunch of stuff. Etc etc. Plenty of decks play Cryptic, and this does a reasonable impression, and is sometimes better since it often does a lot of the stuff you'd do with Cryptic + draw and instead draws 2 for one more mana.
I don't play cryptic in my blue decks. /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom