• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
CTE2hNAUYAA8Nk2.jpg

I know that it's an Uncommon because it's going to appear in multiple decks, but this just seems really out of place with a silver expansion symbol

That would totally be standard playable.

Ashodin

Readability was fucking terrible on the older border cards.

I'm too used to the new border now, even being an old border player. It's just perfect for reading and also I enjoy the new truncated border that leads into the P/T on the card.

So they opened a sample pack of the upcoming MTGO Legendary Cube on the Command Zone podcast. The full list comes out on Monday, but this gives you a feel for it - and it's weird:

Orim, Samite Healer
Mirri the Cursed
Urabrask the Hidden
Thrun, the Last Troll
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Kaervek the Merciless
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Captain Sisay (windmill slam)
Stomping Ground
Graven Cairns
Dreadship Reef
Chromatic Lantern
Champion's Helm
Honden of Seeing Winds
March of the Machines (WTF?)

red13th

So they opened a sample pack of the upcoming MTGO Legendary Cube on the Command Zone podcast. The full list comes out on Monday, but this gives you a feel for it - and it's weird:

Orim, Samite Healer
Mirri the Cursed
Urabrask the Hidden
Thrun, the Last Troll
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Kaervek the Merciless
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Stomping Ground
Graven Cairns
Dreadship Reef
Chromatic Lantern
Champion's Helm
Honden of Seeing Winds

yuck

Crocodile

Orim, Samite Healer
Mirri the Cursed
Urabrask the Hidden
Thrun, the Last Troll
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Kaervek the Merciless
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Stomping Ground
Graven Cairns
Dreadship Reef
Chromatic Lantern
Champion's Helm
Honden of Seeing Winds

I listened to the Magic the Ameraturing Podcast the other day and they interviewed Adam Prosak about the Legendary Cube. New info:

Great mana fixing and ramp (land & artifact)
Few traditional aggressive strategies (say goodbye to Mono-Red)
Heavy on multicolor cards
Artifact Matters & Spells Matter are supported archetypes
Lots of Modal Spells
Few Clones
Few cheat spells, focus on casting cards

Cards like Daretti, Bosh, Vorinclex, Brothers Yamazaki (two copies), Noyan Dar, Sheoldred, Shizo Death's Storehouse, Fires of Yavimaya, Saffi Ericsdaughter, Tatsumatsu the Dragon Fang, Creul Utimatum, Silumgar's Command, Sword of the Chosen, and Animar Soul of Elements are included.

Prize boosters have sets like Cospiracy, Planechase, Commander Sets in them. 1 Rare or Mythic, 5 uncommons for 6 cards per prize pack.

lupin23rd

Was looking through some old cards and came across Invoke Prejudice, and after reading through it a few times, had a few rules questions I was hoping someone might know the answers to.

1. I have no creatures in play - my understanding is that the effect triggers on any creatures the opponent plays?

2. I have a Red/Black creature in play - will the effect trigger on anything except a Red OR Black creature, or will if trigger on anything that isn't Red/Black.

3. Alternatively, if I have a Red creature in play - will the effect trigger on a Red/Black creature?

4. How does the card work with colourless / artifact creatures?

Was looking through some old cards and came across Invoke Prejudice, and after reading through it a few times, had a few rules questions I was hoping someone might know the answers to.

1. I have no creatures in play - my understanding is that the effect triggers on any creatures the opponent plays?

2. I have a Red/Black creature in play - will the effect trigger on anything except a Red OR Black creature, or will if trigger on anything that isn't Red/Black.

3. Alternatively, if I have a Red creature in play - will the effect trigger on a Red/Black creature?

4. How does the card work with colourless / artifact creatures?

The card in question
Image.ashx

FYI, according to the Gatherer comments, the artist is a nutjob that draws a lot of racist and Nazi-inspired art. This is why they need to bring back comments in Gatherer.

Anyway,
1. Indeed, costs are doubled for your opponents if you have no creatures.
2. No colors can match for it to be triggered. If you have a red/black creature out, red/blue and black/green creatures pass through with no problem.
3. See above.
4. All colorless creatures your opponents cast have their costs doubled.

I wonder when they'll make a "counter" that says "exile target instant or sorcery spell" or "put target instant or sorcery into its owner's graveyard", thereby circumventing "can't be countered' effects.

I assume the former is easier to implement than the latter, but also way better.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm surprised you guys weren't aware of Harold McNeill. Dude is a huge racist and yeah, that card is meant to evoke it.

I wonder when they'll make a "counter" that says "exile target instant or sorcery spell" or "put target instant or sorcery into its owner's graveyard", thereby circumventing "can't be countered' effects.

I assume the former is easier to implement than the latter, but also way too good.

Not only is there Mindbreak Trap, there's several things that just return it to your hand like Brutal Expulsion or Venser.

Oh yeah forgot that one, to be fair though I searched for "target" not "any" beforehand

Why isn't this played in legacy, I'd imagine it'd be decent sideboard tech against a bunch of decks. Worst case could just pitch it to force of will, is flusterstorm just strictly better?

Not only is there Mindbreak Trap, there's several things that just return it to your hand like Brutal Expulsion or Venser.

I know of those but they just delays it.

Genryu

Banned

I assume the former is easier to implement than the latter, but also way too good.

If you consider things that end the turn, then you always have Time Stop as well to exile everything on the stack.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hello friends. Looking to get back into MTG after years away. What's a fun and not obscenely expensive WUBRG deck I can make to annoy and baffle my wife?

There's an interesting story where someone in latin america added retreats to coralhelm to his zoo deck playing knight of the reliquary. He made top 4 in the Grand Prix over there, which had 16 Wild Nacatls.

There's an interesting story where someone in latin america added retreats to coralhelm to his zoo deck playing knight of the reliquary. He made top 4 in the Grand Prix over there, which had 16 Wild Nacatls.

Yeah, we brewed with that card a lot when it got spoiled. A deck like that also top 8d an SCG Legacy Open a couple of weeks ago.

MjFrancis

When we were brewing with Retreat to Coralhelm I maintained that splashing blue for a few copies is all you need. Once you go full-on combo, you have to ask yourself if you're doing anything better that other combo decks can't do already. Coralhelm is a good Plan B for a deck with a mostly successful Plan A to begin with. Big Zoo did pretty well last weekend at the major Modern events.

Matriox

Golgari da best.. Lightning Greaves, eternal Witness,eldrazi Monument, skullclamp, and high market. Lots of reprint goodies, not super impressed with izzet though.

Firemind

Golgari da best.. Lightning Greaves, eternal Witness,eldrazi Monument, skullclamp, and high market. Lots of reprint goodies, not super impressed with izzet though.
I was checking the izzet list and i never heard of etherium horn sorcerer...

Image.ashx

Woah that's nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom