• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gaf,

Recently after years of not playing Magic I decided to install the App on my phone but I could not sign in with my account which I have allot of cards in my collection, instead it used my phone account and started a new user.

Anyway to fix it?

Thanks

The phone app is a separate game from MTGO, there's no client for mobile phones.

duxstar

Was there a foil Gideon in that second pack, why would someone not first pick a Lantern Scout? Maybe Tunneling Geopede was just too juicy pass up?

Lantern scout is not a great card and there are lots of commons and uncommons I would take over lantern scout.

Vile aggregate
Touch of the void
Gideons Reproach
Complete Disregard
Tajura Warcaller
Rolling Thunder
Eldrazi skyspawner
Clutch of currents

A 3/2 that gains life and is dependent on you having lots of allies in your deck and creatures on the board is not particularly great.

Disagree, most rally effects are more than worth it the single time they trigger and life can be pretty valuable in BfZ limited.
Not to mention that game 1 rally can scare the shit out of your opponent.

Would pick most of the cards you mentioned over it though, definitely not a warcaller though.

The only card I'd pick over the scout from those is rolling thunder. If I got passed the scout there's probably nothing better in the pack anyway. Touch of the void is really good though.

traveler

Not Wario
Having trouble working out a build for Daxos that doesn't feel clunky even in goldfishing. I know a certain amount of durdling is pretty common in casual commander, but the deck is super mana hungry, and, unless you get a serra's sanctum out, wb doesn't exactly generate tons of mana. The fact that I need to get Daxos down before I even start to cast enchantments feels rough too.

Thinking cheap anthems + black card draw (dark tutelage, arena, greed, erebos, necropotence) + cheap removal (journey to nowhere, oblivion ring, etc.) is going to be the way to go. Skybind isn't worth it in that deck, though, which was kinda the main reason I wanted to play Daxos in the first place. :/

traveler

Not Wario
I'd actually like to play a more friendly version of Zur, but I feel like he has such a huge target on his head- no one expects a fair Zur.

My FNM does Standard/Modern/Commander games. So that's a lot more fun than just standard.

Every FNM? How many people show up? That sounds pretty insane for my local meta.

We used to have one store for years that did FNM. Then another came along, then another. It split up the player base.

Now we have, I think six different stores to do FNM and I bet some of them have trouble getting enough to show up to fire off the tournament.

One store does Modern Thursdays and I've thought about trying that out.

I don't think any of them do any official Commander games.

One store does a lot of drafts for FNM because they make revenue that way because whenever they do standard constructed for FNM it is free with the only prize support being whatever the monthly promo card is.

Having trouble working out a build for Daxos that doesn't feel clunky even in goldfishing. I know a certain amount of durdling is pretty common in casual commander, but the deck is super mana hungry, and, unless you get a serra's sanctum out, wb doesn't exactly generate tons of mana. The fact that I need to get Daxos down before I even start to cast enchantments feels rough too.

Thinking cheap anthems + black card draw (dark tutelage, arena, greed, erebos, necropotence) + cheap removal (journey to nowhere, oblivion ring, etc.) is going to be the way to go. Skybind isn't worth it in that deck, though, which was kinda the main reason I wanted to play Daxos in the first place. :/

Outside of green, black is the best at making mana in EDH. Cabal Coffers + Urborg, plus loads of mana doublers (Crypt Ghast and the like). Making loads of black mana shouldn't be a problem; it's making white that will be a problem.

y2dvd

Time to put my land destruction standard deck to rest. That shit sucks lol. Fnm was dominated by GW Harden Scales for some reason. Creatures can get big really fast.

I have to agree about all the shuffling that happens in standard, or in general really.

Lgs is being pretty lame with the new commander set. You can only get them by the entire set. Gotta find another one that sells them individually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lantern scout is not a great card and there are lots of commons and uncommons I would take over lantern scout.

Vile aggregate
Touch of the void
Gideons Reproach
Complete Disregard
Tajura Warcaller
Rolling Thunder
Eldrazi skyspawner
Clutch of currents

A 3/2 that gains life and is dependent on you having lots of allies in your deck and creatures on the board is not particularly great.

The only one of those cards that's better than Lantern Scout if you're not in any color is Rolling Thunder, and white has so much removal at common that it's not a big deal. To wit: I had 3 Gideon's Reproch pass me (took 2) and saw several more. Because its a common, so there are a lot of them.

Time to put my land destruction standard deck to rest. That shit sucks lol. Fnm was dominated by GW Harden Scales for some reason. Creatures can get big really fast.
That's why Self-Inflicted Wound is so important in today's standard. It's the only reason I don't like running Temur, you lose out on black. 4c is for goobers and if you go Jund you lose so many great blue-mana cards like Frost Walker, Denial or Ascendancy.

Maybe I'll play around with Jund converge. Hmm.

blackflag

MTGO league is like 95% atarka. Makes it pretty profitable to just play abzan but sucks when I try to play anything else since I'll lose at least half the time.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Watching the Legacy GP, and damn if that format isn't the most varied and interesting one to spectate. Even Modern has become pretty dull to watch these days, but in Legacy, even the most common deck in the format (Miracles) only represents 8% of the field. So why are Wizards and StarCity trying to kill it off? Not quite sure I understand the motivation for the changes they have both announced for next year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Watching the Legacy GP, and damn if that format isn't the most varied and interesting one to spectate. Even Modern has become pretty dull to watch these days, but in Legacy, even the most common deck in the format (Miracles) only represents 8% of the field. So why are Wizards and StarCity trying to kill it off? Not quite sure I understand the motivation for the changes they have both announced for next year.

Barrier to entry is even more ridiculous basically. Even without the manabase cost the reserved list means that the pool of cards is always shrinking

Crocodile

Vile aggregate
Touch of the void
Gideons Reproach
Complete Disregard
Tajura Warcaller
Rolling Thunder
Eldrazi skyspawner
Clutch of currents

da fuck?

Lantern Scout is one of the best allies in the format and is exactly the sort of card you want to first pick if you want to or think you might draft an ally deck. LOL at those commons being anywhere in the same realm (they are all still good cards though) and I still like it over most of those uncommons.

Because the Reserve List is one of the stupidest things WOTC has ever done and will permanently damage the game even is it made a tiny bit of sense back when it was first made 15+ years ago.

Yeef

From a spectator perspective, I'm not a big fan of Legacy. There's way too much shuffling a deck manipulation. The interesting things that happen tend to be very interesting, but they're sandwiched in by brainstorm, figure for 2 minutes, fetch, shufle, pass, end step, brainstorm, figure for 2 minutes, fetch, shuffle, etc. For that reason, I feel like MTGO suits legacy a bit better for spectators.

As for trying to 'kill' Legacy; my understanding is that Legacy was losing SCG money on the bottom line vs. other formats. Wizards just doesn't support it because of card availability. The reserve list means that lots of cards are expensive and also harder to find, especially in countries where the sets they've been in were never released.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zac Elsik cheating to win (and yes, he's playing a Prison deck)

traveler

Not Wario
Outside of green, black is the best at making mana in EDH. Cabal Coffers + Urborg, plus loads of mana doublers (Crypt Ghast and the like). Making loads of black mana shouldn't be a problem; it's making white that will be a problem.

I agree, when you're dealing with mono black. Once you really dilute the manabase with non-basics and white sources, it's takes a huge hit. I don't think you can run Cabal Coffers, Crypt Ghast, Nirkana, Nykthos, etc. when you basically have to bank on having urborg for most of them to do anything.

Angry Grimace

That's before the DTT ban. You can get Infect for less than two grand. Elves, Storm and D&T are also less than two grand.

I think he calculated it including the sheer number of BUG and Miracles decks though.

kirblar

From a spectator perspective, I'm not a big fan of Legacy. There's way too much shuffling a deck manipulation. The interesting things that happen tend to be very interesting, but they're sandwiched in by brainstorm, figure for 2 minutes, fetch, shufle, pass, end step, brainstorm, figure for 2 minutes, fetch, shuffle, etc. For that reason, I feel like MTGO suits legacy a bit better for spectators.

As for trying to 'kill' Legacy; my understanding is that Legacy was losing SCG money on the bottom line vs. other formats. Wizards just doesn't support it because of card availability. The reserve list means that lots of cards are expensive and also harder to find, especially in countries where the sets they've been in were never released.
Moving to a 2-day format was making the Legacy events liabilities because of the barrier to entry.

Angry Grimace

Ban all cards printed before 8th Edition in Legacy.

kirblar

Because approximately no one can afford to play it and most of its diversity is an illusion created by an inaccessible and non-competitive format? I mean, this seems pretty obvious to me.
The bolded is something a lot of people don't understand.

Also, the pool of potential standard/modern players is gigantically larger than the pool of Legacy ones.

kirblar

Painful truths in legacy, now I've seen everything
Nah, this one was actually expected by a lot of people who knew Legacy. Had people bringing it up when the BFZ spoiler was out and then this nugget a few days ago.
Owen Turtenwald ‏@OwenTweetenwald Nov 5

Why would you put Shardless Agent in your deck and hope for incredible luck to hit Ancestral Visions when you can just play Painful Truths?

If what you guys say about Legacy's diversity is true, then would it actually be the case that a major resupply of Force of Will and such would actually damage the format?

Anyway, people at MTG Salvation have started getting the new Holiday Gift Box, and apparently they're back to actually being sturdy, so I'm adding that to the Getting Started part of the OP.

kirblar

If what you guys say about Legacy's diversity is true, then would it actually be the case that a major resupply of Force of Will and such would actually damage the format?

Anyway, people at MTG Salvation have started getting the new Holiday Gift Box, and apparently they're back to actually being sturdy, so I'm adding that to the Getting Started part of the OP.
Yeah, I'll probably be asking for some for the Holidays.. I grabbed some Khans boxes for my move, but long-term they're not good.

bigkrev

It's technically a Game Rule Violation since the card isn't legal in Modern.

I don't think you have to name a card legal in the format

On MTGO, I have played many a Phyrexian Revoker in Standard, and accidentally name many a Sapardian Empires, Vol VII because I hit enter too quickly and it's the top name in the list of legal cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom