• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

This game between Cheon and Saito, so good.

Saito first keeping the mana for envelop predicting the cabal therapy, then dazing the ponder to counter the carpet of flowers sideboard tech from Cheon, jeez.

Crocodile

Almost everything is blue and the metagame is force of will.

Even if there is too much Blue, lots of the decks still play different enough from each other to be distinct archetypes. I think there is a midpoint between "3123535123 different viable decks" and "ALL BLUE ALL THE TIME".

BfZ is so terrible that we're dominated by EDH talk. MaRo should be fucking ashamed of himself.

I didn't even bother going to draft today. I need more cards from the set so I'm sure I'm not done drafting it but overall the set is just too big a downgrade from Khans block. Feels worse than Origins too.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, making a legal play can never be USC.

Sure it can. Those two things have nothing to do with one another- legal play is just a matter of rules compliance; unsportsmanlike conduct can come from tone, spoken words outside the game, general mannerisms, a whole host of things unrelated to game legality.

A friend of mine built a Worship deck, how do I beat it with an aggro deck?
Maybe I simply start sideboarding enchantment removal or something like that.

ultron87

Having only done draft once or twice a week I'm still enjoying the format. Watching the synergy decks tick is entertaining to me more than the limited formats where you usually just have a pile of good cards.

To that note I'm interested to see where the format goes with Oath of the Gatewatch. It'll be Oath Oath Battle so obviously the archetypes will be more based in Oath. I wonder if something like the life gain deck will even be supported enough to still be effective. Or maybe some of the other less successful archetypes/color pairs will be more supported and the next format will be the time to play Landfall or Ramp.

Yeef

I don't think you have to name a card legal in the format

On MTGO, I have played many a Phyrexian Revoker in Standard, and accidentally name many a Sapardian Empires, Vol VII because I hit enter too quickly and it's the top name in the list of legal cards
You do. Sounds like that's just an issue with MTGO.

201.3. If an effect instructs a player to name a card, the player must choose the name of a card that exists in the Oracle card reference (see rule 108.1) and is legal in the format of the game the player is playing. (See rule 100.6.) If the player wants to name a split card, the player must choose the name of one of its halves, but not both. (See rule 708.) If the player wants to name a flip card’s alternative name, the player may do so. (See rule 709.) If the player wants to name the back face of a double-faced card, the player may do so. (See rule 711.) A player may not choose the name of a token unless it’s also the name of a card.

traveler

Not Wario
Wondering if their approach to Oath would have been noticeably different, since they presumably had a bit more knowledge and a feel for the format overhaul at that point.

Also wondering if they consciously powered down the format with BfZ and if that will continue in Oath. If so, I fear the block will continue to be overshadowed by Khans until rotation.

Joe Molotov

Well, I went to the Mox Sapphire PPTQ that I mentioned a few pages back in this thread. I made it into the Top 8 by the skin of my tiebreakers, but I lost in the first round, so no Mox Sapphire for me. Only the FtV: Angels boobie prize (ha, get it, that was a joke about tits).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Switched to Bant Megamorph for the Open in Philly. Started 2-0, fell to 2-3 against Abzan, Marshmallow Control, and Abzan. Rallied all the way to 5-3, with one game to go. x-3 made day 2. Played my worst matchup in 4-color Rally and got destroyed.

Everyone next to me was either R/G landfall or Green eldrazi which were fine match-up's. Boo. 5-4.

Edit: also kind of insane, top 64 is actually like 127 people, since day 2 is 64th and everyone who is tied for 64th.

Listening to the latest ep of the Money Draught podcast- they're claiming that BfZ is mappable for expiditions (and that this other group has done it). Kinda interesting. I only learned about the idea of mapping a few months ago (in this thread) but I thought Wizards too steps to prevent a box's 'mappability'.

PS: I love Money Draught, btw, lol

Since I felt like rubbing salt into my own wounds, I showed up to buy singles lol

draft28grfh.png

Lucario

Listening to the latest ep of the Money Draught podcast- they're claiming that BfZ is mappable for expiditions (and that this other group has done it). Kinda interesting. I only learned about the idea of mapping a few months ago (in this thread) but I thought Wizards too steps to prevent a box's 'mappability'.

PS: I love Money Draught, btw, lol
Wait, what? Aren't expeditions on their own sheet? Really hope those aren't actually mappable.

Firemind

I still can't get used to the monikers Jeskai Miracles, Shardless Sultai and Temur Delver. I'm not sure why since Esper, Jund et al are fine with me.

Today, in Round 3 of the Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma main event, a player was disqualified from the main event for intentionally playing with counterfeit Magic cards.

"We had received a lead that a player was playing in today's event with cards in his deck that they knew were counterfeit," said Chris Richter, Level 4 judge for four years, and head judge of the Grand Prix Seattle-Tacoma main event. "As a result of this tip, we had this player deck checked in Round 3. Upon inspecting that player's deck, it was determined that a number of the cards that were in the deck were indeed counterfeit. Investigations and discussion with the player made it clear that he was aware of the counterfeits."

"Intentionally playing with counterfeit cards in a sanctioned Magic tournament is tournament fraud as per the Magic tournament rules, and as a result of this discovery and following investigations, the player in question was disqualified from the tournament."

Players are reminded that knowingly playing with counterfeit cards in a sanctioned Magic event is tournament fraud, and will be subject to disqualification and review from the investigation committee for further action when caught.

Interesting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The guy got caught because he was running around bragging about his sweet counterfeits. Just for that the guy should get a lifetime ban. It wouldn't surprise me if that actually happens. WotC is going to want to come down like the hammer of Grabthar on the first public counterfeit player.

OnPoint

RUG and BUG just roll of the tongue, more so than the colour combinations speeled out for jund and esper, bant, etc.

RUG, BUG, Bant, Jund, those are all one syllable and feel great.

Naya, Esper, Jeskai, they're all two syllables and don't feel quite as good.

I dislike all the shard/clan names honestly. BUG/RUG sound cooler to me. Stuff like Junk is unfortunate because "What does it even mean", but it's still better sounding and feeling to say than Abzan.

Firemind

You make a good point. We don't use Selesnya, Golgari and Azorius either and yet we're supposed to use shitty names that only mean something in that given plane.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";184660880]Had to stick the retreat in there to give your opponents a chance, huh?[/QUOTE]

It actually did some work with Nettle Sentinel >.>

BfZ is so terrible that we're dominated by EDH talk. MaRo should be fucking ashamed of himself.

God damn, you sure are bitter about a format you don't even play.

Edit : Oh he's banned lol

Just downloaded Cockatrice to try and play some edh games, is there a way to upload my entire deck at once instead of going for singles? I just can't see it.

Aluren combo is sweet lol

God damn, you sure are bitter about a format you don't even play.

Edit : Oh he's banned lol

Just downloaded Cockatrice to try and play some edh games, is there a way to upload my entire deck at once instead of going for singles? I just can't see it.

Just copy a decklist then go to Deck Editor -> Load Deck From Clipboard.

Should paste right in.

bigkrev

I love that Huey pulls zero punches on commentary, lol

Also, this guy has Exbidition fetches with revised duals, missing the entire point.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";184679267]Aluren combo is sweet lol

Just copy a decklist then go to Deck Editor -> Load Deck From Clipboard.

Should paste right in.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm dumb. Thanks.

pelicansurf

An all Abzan Top 4 in the Philly open. The #1 seed gave me my first loss of the tournament. Lol. It's Abzan time once again.

Wait, what? Aren't expeditions on their own sheet? Really hope those aren't actually mappable.

Not sure... I thought there was an additional randomization step when packs went into boxes or something, either way. They don't go into detail, but this group claimed to do it after cracking 10 cases. Basic takeaway was don't buy loose packs.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, with Abzan so consistently putting up top results, I don't think I can justify running Megamorph for the PPTQ next week. Debating between Esper and token variants now. Think I want a list with at least 1 or 2 exert influences.

duxstar

Abzan being the best deck in the format for its entire run is just boring as shit. I don't care that its good, it's still Boring as hell to play. I stopped playing it fnm because I just rolled people over.

The fact is its not hard to win matches when you draw 2 siege rhinos and they don't counter them. The esper /control decks are the only challenge.

pelicansurf

Well, with Abzan so consistently putting up top results, I don't think I can justify running Megamorph for the PPTQ next week. Debating between Esper and token variants now. Think I want a list with at least 1 or 2 exert influences.
Yeah, G/W and Bant Megamorph variants just get rolled by Abzan. My buddy made it to the top 8 for the open in philly (Jamie) with bant, but he almost completely dodged Abzan and rally decks. He got 2-0'd vs Abzan Blue and it wasn't even close. Having the basic G/W build, but adding siege rhino, anafenza, Abzan charm, and a ton of real removal makes it an impossible matchup if you both curve out perfectly. You also get blown out by dromoka's command and your commands are way worse.

OnPoint

Bored with Abzan. Seriously yawn inducing finals.

Lands winning the Legacy GP was sweet though.

Drafted a cheap box of Conspiracy I picked up with some friends tonight. That was surprisingly super fun. I pulled some nice stuff and have over half a box left -- Dack + Emblem, Exploration, Stifle, Reflecting Pool... not upset so far. Best box I've cracked in ages.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Monastery Mentor makes me laugh because its one of the most obviously powerful cards to be kind of shitty in its own standard, and there are a ton of cards that were shitty in Standard and great in eternal formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom