• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Oooh this is bad:

Literally everyone who plays this game understands that they just settled a lawsuit with WotC, no one's gonna be confused why these have happened.

I'd argue they got off easily the game is quite literally MtG

The fact that they got off with such minimal changes confirms to me what I had said when we first heard about this: that Hasbro had basically no real case and were suing to make a show of protecting their IP more than with any serious expectations of winning.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Literally everyone who plays this game understands that they just settled a lawsuit with WotC, no one's gonna be confused why these have happened.

The fact that they got off with such minimal changes confirms to me what I had said when we first heard about this: that Hasbro had basically no real case and were suing to make a show of protecting their IP more than with any serious expectations of winning.

I have it on good authority that the attorneys for both sides made lots and lots of money and that the actual benefit inured to Hasbro was probably minimal.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Worth addressing an upcoming fix for a bug on MTGO:

we are aware on this one, part of a large mana system rewrite we have coming, should also address Cavern/workshop etc

That large mana system rewrite couldn't possibly have anything to do with leaked <> mana, now could it?

Hey guys, has anyone tried MTGO on a Surface 3 (not Pro)? How does it run?

I don't know about the 3; I have a Pro 2 and it plays fine. It can be a pain when I don't have a keyboard connected though; I never timeout on my desktop, but I've come close on the Surface a few times thanks to how much slower it is to interface with the client.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know about the 3; I have a Pro 2 and it plays fine. It can be a pain when I don't have a keyboard connected though; I never timeout on my desktop, but I've come close on the Surface a few times thanks to how much slower it is to interface with the client.

Ah okay, makes sense. Thanks for the input.

MrMatt555

Tips for the latest commander set? I have Swell the Host and I really, really like facing the homies who each have their own. I will say that I do hate my friend's seize control deck. Its really annoying starting the match and by turn 4 he takes my commander away from me and uses it the rest of the game (as well as it's ability). But go figure. Tips for Noobs? What do I need to know?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Worth addressing an upcoming fix for a bug on MTGO:

That large mana system rewrite couldn't possibly have anything to do with leaked <> mana, now could it?

He's talking about an issue with the way certain "you must spend this mana on _____" things work.

Firemind

This is kind of the general Izzet problem -- they're supposed to be mad scientists and it's really hard to do mad science effectively in MTG (or at least they haven't cracked it yet.) They made his first ability fiddly instead since that's a half-decent approximation.
They've gotten pretty close with Mizzix's Mastery. If I'm not mistaken, it's the first red card that lets you play cards from your graveyard without paying their mana costs. Shame it wasn't printed in RTR. You could have theoretically discard Enter the Infinite and cast Mizzix's Mastery without overload. Now that's an Epic Experiment!

Bandini

Tips for the latest commander set? I have Swell the Host and I really, really like facing the homies who each have their own. I will say that I do hate my friend's seize control deck. Its really annoying starting the match and by turn 4 he takes my commander away from me and uses it the rest of the game (as well as it's ability). But go figure. Tips for Noobs? What do I need to know?

Add some counterspells and removal to protect your commander. There isn't a ton of removal in Simic colors but there are some cards like Pongify, Curse of the Swine, Control Magic, and Confiscate that will help you get your commander back if it's been stolen.

As far as creatures, Prophet of Kruphix is really good in any Commander deck running UG, and Kalonian Hydra is just ridiculous with Ezuri pumping it.

Bandini

This might be the strangest thing I've ever seen come out of the Magic community. Someone is looking to hire a PT qualifier to play a deck built around a specific card:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/3w1nfw/modern_im_hiring_a_pro_tour_participant_to_pilot/

Reading the comments, this is the same guy who 8 months ago, paid out $1000 to people to buy up this card and burn them on video. I'm pretty sure this dude has more money than sense. He must just have a shit load of them stashed away and is hoping some kind of viable deck is possible. Personally, I don't see it, but you never know.

I really don't understand why people are so in love with that card. I mean, it's really cool, but it's kind of obviously not excessively good. It's the perfect example of the card that's almost good enough, but just isn't because it's too expensive. And doesn't give haste. If it gave haste, that'd be something else entirely.

Bandini

Yeah, the card just seems so slow. And the tokens don't get haste, so to get any value you need something else that gives them haste, or ETB effects. And then you have to be able to get all that stuff into the graveyard...

If it gets really slow at work today I'll try to brew up a deck... anyone else up for this?

OnPoint

Image.ashx

I'd love if someone actually broke it. But a white 4-cmc enchantment that requires things to be in your graveyard seems... ambitious as a target.

Also the Gatherer listing points out that the token doesn't even get haste.

I believe the combo people were using when this card was in Standard was to get your one-of Mirror-Mad Phantasm into the yard. The Seance got back the Phantasm, which would then mill your entire library into the yard. From there you win by using Seance to get Laboratory Maniac back on your next upkeep and win on your draw step.

OnPoint

A friend sent it to me. Makes me regret trading my Blood Moons now haha Hopefully the person who got them (a fellow member here) considers this list :)

Uncharted Realms - Rise of Kozilek
* There is a bit of "Japanese DBZ / One Piece episode title" effect going on here, as Kozilek doesn't pop up until the end.
* Kiora musters her band of tricksters and tells them that they are going to kill Ulamog when he gets captured.
* Kiora is able to summon Lorthos, the Tidemaker, and they go charging toward Ulamog.
* As Ulamog is freed, Kozilek pops out of the ground. The two titans walk toward each other, and for a moment Kiora thinks they might fight, but they just kind of brush against each other as they pass and Ulamog wanders away.
* Kozilek attacks the Sea Gate, taking it out immediately with reality-distorting attacks.
* One of Kiora's friends, Shen, gets Turn Against'd and attacks her, forcing Kiora to kill her.
* Kiora at first perceives this as Kozilek tricking her, but then she realizes that Kozilek doesn't even notice her.
* Kozilek easily kills Lorthos, knocking Kiora into the water where she falls unconscious.

kirblar

Of note- Kiora thinks she can use the Bident to do to Kozilek what Elspeth did with Godsend to Xenagos.

I like that detail.

An-Det

This deck looks like a ton of fun to play. I've toyed with the idea before (focusing more on blood moon since everything in modern is greedy as fuck, but going BR for discard and things like Sudden Death (which I've long felt to be underplayed, especially with twin so good)). Going full red with planeswalkers and ensnaring bridge is an awesome way to go.

Angry Grimace

Nobody's gonna take it on because WOTC can and does do discretionary bans for no reason whatsoever.

OnPoint

Kinda dislike the characterization they've given Kiora (she actually feels red to me). But all in all, I'm pleased with the story. Kozilek is bad ass. Also, I feel like Zendikar is doomed. But we'll see.

ultron87

Man, I really want to buy into tier 1 affinity. $600+ is a lot of money on pieces of cardboard...

One benefit to "completing" a Modern deck is you know you can (with reasonable certainty) play that deck in a tournament tomorrow or two years from now. Not having the pressure of "I spent X00 dollars on this Standard deck, I need to play it AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE before it is gone" is nice.

Angry Grimace

Kinda dislike the characterization they've given Kiora (she actually feels red to me). But all in all, I'm pleased with the story. Kozilek is bad ass. Also, I feel like Zendikar is doomed. But we'll see.

I don't think being a reckless idiot is exclusive to red.

Yeah, I've had enough ROE flashback drafts. Bring back Time Spiral for Goyf's sake.

As far as I can tell they only do Triple Time Spiral and not full block.

OnPoint

I don't think being a reckless idiot is exclusive to red.

Sure, but the specific brand of stubbornness and lack of forethought they've instilled her with (her entire characterization in this story so far) feels pretty dang red to me. I'm not seeing any green in her whatsoever except her ability to commune with sea creatures, or blue except her being a merfolk and having the ability to commune with sea creatures.

MjFrancis

Man, I really want to buy into tier 1 affinity. $600+ is a lot of money on pieces of cardboard...
If you are just going to play with that cardboard at home, make proxies and have at it. I have a Modern Jund list to play against. I have no qualms playing with proxies at home, I have other Modern decks already, no need to drop more cash on cardboard.

Angry Grimace

Sure, but the specific brand of stubbornness and lack of forethought they've instilled her with (her entire characterization in this story so far) feels pretty dang red to me. I'm not seeing any green in her whatsoever except her ability to commune with sea creatures, or blue except her being a merfolk and having the ability to commune with sea creatures.

Honestly think the color pie mostly just extends to the magic they do and not their entire characterization. That's mostly just Maro's thing and they don't care what Maro thinks about anything.

ACE 1991

One benefit to "completing" a Modern deck is you know you can (with reasonable certainty) play that deck in a tournament tomorrow or two years from now. Not having the pressure of "I spent X00 dollars on this Standard deck, I need to play it AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE before it is gone" is nice.

I don't fuck with standard for this very reason.

OnPoint

Honestly think the color pie mostly just extends to the magic they do and not their entire characterization. That's mostly just Maro's thing and they don't care what Maro thinks about anything.

Maybe. I think personality and color pie tie greatly into who these characters are supposed to be. I don't think they're beholden to it when writing them -- like, green is supposed to be accepting but I wouldn't expect a green character to never argue, for example -- but she, specifically, feels pretty off base to me.

Everybody gets pissed off.

Absolutely. But this is not being "pissed off". Kiora's actions in the meeting before leaping out the window are impulsive and brash, while her plan is a stubborn rejection of reason rushed into due to strong emotion. I just don't think it gets more red than that. The only blue thing about her is she's a merfolk who plays with sea creatures. She should probably be red blue honestly haha

Angry Grimace

I don't fuck with standard for this very reason.

Standard is a self-sustaining monster - part of the reason I think they liked the idea of three-block Standard is due to the fact that once you're bought in to Standard, you're 2/3 bought into the next block, so its easy to self-justify buying into ANOTHER Standard and then this just goes and goes.

In other news, SaffronOlive's new deck looks kind of hilarious, but it also demonstrates why I think Ensnaring Bridge is a ban-target: because there are simply too many decks that can literally never beat Ensnaring Bridge.

OnPoint

Colour pie only works with types that don't have colour associated with them.

Kiora being blue because she's a merfolk is all that's necessary.

See I don't agree with this line of thought from a fiction standpoint. Personality is just as important in determining color identity as race is. For the same reason humans as a tribe can be any color, I don't think a merfolk should be definitely tied to blue because "water". From a mechanic standpoint, I guess a merfolk has to be blue? But putting green on her then having her act red just feels wrong. It's the same reason why dwarves don't work as mono-red, and will likely now be red-white. They're definitely white in characteristic, but will be red because "mountain".

I guess what I'm saying, is that I wish there wasn't such a disconnect between creative and design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom