• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

The templating for that land is pretty easy, no? Couldn't it be something as simple as:

"Colored mana produced by non-basic lands is <> instead"

And yes, a free, colorless Blood Moon is too good.

Ashodin

I think it's an interesting idea and changes the way you play in the match. Sure it could use a bit more changes to make it not aggravating, but the idea is to punish those who play with nonbasic lands like Blood Moon does.

Being that it's a land and uncounterable there should be more stipulations on what it does sure, but the idea is there.

Perhaps instead of just straight up doing it, making it a cost -> effect thing?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think it's an interesting idea and changes the way you play in the match. Sure it could use a bit more changes to make it not aggravating, but the idea is to punish those who play with nonbasic lands like Blood Moon does.

Being that it's a land and uncounterable there should be more stipulations on what it does sure, but the idea is there.

Sure, it's interesting. But as Grimace said, there just isn't any way to make this land even remotely feasible. It's basically "pay nothing, lock down the game unless you're playing affinity or straight mono-red."

The effect would have to be on an enchantment. There is no way that effect can exist on a land and not be entirely broken. Besides, while lands have done enchantmenty things in the past, this is very clearly an enchantment effect. You're trying to not only have your cake and eat it too, but ensure nobody else at the table eating any food besides cake can have a bite to eat, either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I imagine this sequence was not fun for my opponent:

Me: Attack with Ojutai
Opponent: Valorous Stance
Me: Silumgar's Scorn
Opponent: Stasis Snare!
Me Silumgar's Scorn
*Opponent takes dmg*
Me: Pass the turn.
Opponent's turn, passes
Me: Attack with Ojutai!
Opponent: Secure the Wastes, X=7
Me: Scatter to the Winds
Opponent's turn: Stasis Snare on Ojutai
Me: Silumgar's Scorn.

(Game ends, I reveal last card in hand = Scatter to the Winds)

y2dvd

Note to self: In modern, when playing Naya Burn vs Jund and I've already seen Scavenging Ooze games 1 & 2, exile creature cards from my graveyard with Grim Lavamancer over all else.

Ashodin

I'm not "ensuring" anything, but rather just trying to get a neat effect not usually on a land on a land.

I enjoy making cards, and feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Here's attempt #4.

2GIIFHo.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why there are so. many. esper tokens decks. It's not a very good deck as far as I can tell. Seems okay, but it's not that hard to deal with compared to some of the other decks...

Having it on a land is going to be broken. There's nothing you can add to this, short of making the entire thing unplayable that will balance that out. I don't know if you're just not seeing how broken that ability is and then how even more it is on a land. Or are you pulling a Maro and only talking about Standard and Limited, because that's all we design for?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm not "ensuring" anything, but rather just trying to get a neat effect not usually on a land on a land.

I enjoy making cards, and feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Here's attempt #4.

2GIIFHo.png

It's always odd when people put random quotation marks around things. Ensuring is a word and it was properly used. And again, it's an interesting idea, but lands are particularly powerful. There is a reason why effects like this aren't on lands. There is just no getting around the fact that it can come into play turn one and that it can't be countered. You basically made a leyline that can't be destroyed (Ghost Quarter doesn't even hit the other version), can also come into play on turn 2, hoses nearly every single deck and that produces mana. That is a ton of effects for something that doesn't ever have a cost.

Angry Grimace

It's always odd when people put random quotation marks around things. Ensuring is a word and it was properly used. And again, it's an interesting idea, but lands are particularly powerful. There is a reason why effects like this aren't on lands. There is just no getting around the fact that it can come into play turn one and that it can't be countered. You basically made a leyline that can't be destroyed (Ghost Quarter doesn't even hit the other version), can also come into play on turn 2, hoses nearly every single deck and that produces mana. That is a ton of effects for something that doesn't ever have a cost.

You'd have to sacrifice the land itself to make it printable, at which point its a terrible version of Wasteland.

I realize this is literally the opposite of what you were trying to do, but I think it's the kind of card that they could actually print and would be more interesting and less nightmarish.

Sea Gate, Laid to Waste
Legendary Land

All lands have "{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool."

I realize this is literally the opposite of what you were trying to do, but I think it's the kind of card that they could actually print and would be more interesting and less nightmarish.

Sea Gate, Laid to Waste
Legendary Land

All lands have "{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool."

A colorless Urborg is the most likely scenario, it's also the most likely to make MTGO players groan whenever it hits the board.

I'd make it.

Sea Gate, Laid to Waste
Legendary Land
Lands you control have "{C}, {T}, Sacrifice this permanent: Put a Basic Land Token named Wastes onto the battlefield tapped and under your control."
{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool.

Alternatively

Legendary Land
Lands you control have "{C}, {T}: This permanent loses all subtypes, abilities, becomes a Basic Land named Wastes and has "{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool."

More flavourful and irreversible also broken with Landfall, had to make it tapped so you can't just trigger landfall for each of your lands. Do named tokens work like I assume they do if a card exists with that name?

Why would you ever play this? Am I missing something or is it really just to play around land destruction?

Edit: Oh, I see your edit. Didn't think of that.

I made so many edits idk which edit you're referring to xD. I think lands producing the wastes mana in addition to their own would pretty unflavourful when the flavour behind it are changed landscapes and losing their colour.

I also imagine there might be a cycle of waste fetch lands that go something like this.

Wasted Island
Land
Wasted Island comes into play tapped
{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool
{1}, {T}, Sacrifice Wasted Island: Search your library for a Wastes card and put it into play tapped. Shuffle your library.

I'd make it.

Sea Gate, Laid to Waste
Legendary Land
Lands you control have "{C}, {T}: Sacrifice this permanent: Put a Basic Land Token named Wastes onto the battlefield tapped and under your control."

More flavourful and irreversible also broken with Landfall

Why would you ever play this? Am I missing something or is it really just to play around land destruction?

Edit: Oh, I see your edit. Didn't think of that.

ultron87

I'd put it on a creature.

Horizon Flattener 7<>
Creature - Eldrazi
When you cast Horizon Flattener, until the start of your next turn, if a land would produce mana of any color it produces <> instead.

7/9

Edit: On further thought I'd probably make it only affect lands in play when it was cast, so it isn't a total Silence. That makes the templating way worse though.

Maledict

I'm really not sure why you keep trying to put an effect on a land that shouldn't be on a land.

There's no way to make it balance wise without making it utter trash, and there's a reason land cards don't have that sort of effect anymore.

It's got to be an enchantment.

(The enchantment design space is already buffered up thanks to Rosewaters love of artefacts, let's not ruin it even more by putting lands there as well).

OnPoint

I'm really not sure why you keep trying to put an effect on a land that shouldn't be on a land.

There's no way to make it balance wise without making it utter trash, and there's a reason land cards don't have that sort of effect anymore.

It's got to be an enchantment.

(The enchantment design space is already buffered up thanks to Rosewaters love of artefacts, let's not ruin it even more by putting lands there as well).

Because designing broken cards then trying to make them work is a fun mental exercise? I mean, these aren't going anywhere aside from on this page.

Wulfric

The prerelease box design as well as booster arts are available on the mothership now:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/best-2015-and-holiday-treats-2015-12-10

They're too orange, bleh. I don't know if orange is the best color choice if they have a dark green Nissa featured on the booster boxes and fat packs. And every since WotC released the promo images for Oath, I can't help but compare the planeswalkers to the Teen Titans.
Jace = Robin
Gideon = Cyborg
Chandra = Starfire
Nissa = Raven
Ob Nixilis = Beast Boy?? (He looks like a beast, at least.)

Jhriad

So, someone is buying out Gaddock Teeg. Just a head's up. There were only 10 non-foil copies left on TCGPlayer when I looked last.

The prerelease box design as well as booster arts are available on the mothership now:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/best-2015-and-holiday-treats-2015-12-10

They're too orange, bleh. I don't know if orange is the best color choice if they have a dark green Nissa featured on the booster boxes and fat packs. And every since WotC released the promo images for Oath, I can't help but compare the planeswalkers to the Teen Titans.
Jace = Robin
Gideon = Cyborg
Chandra = Starfire
Nissa = Raven

Given that the booster pack art has always been of cards, I'm guessing this means that we'll get a card for each character's oath, likely as an enchantment.

Angry Grimace

Jace = Robin
Gideon = Cyborg
Chandra = Starfire
Nissa = Raven
I wouldn't be surprised if that's placeholder art.

kirblar

So, someone is buying out Gaddock Teeg. Just a head's up. There were only 10 non-foil copies left on TCGPlayer when I looked last.
Where is he even seeing play anymore since Pod left?

I know I have at least 1-2 copies, no idea if I have a full playset, will have to check at home.

Wulfric

Given that the booster pack art has always been of cards, I'm guessing this means that we'll get a card for each character's oath, likely as an enchantment.

Kind of like the Awakening/Spark Igniting cards from Origin, right? This art is a little tame for planeswalker cards (and we've already seen Nissa's), but they look right for an "important story event" cycle.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's placeholder art.

Huh, what's a placeholder? Everything seems pretty finalized packaging wise.

Huh, what's a placeholder? Everything seems pretty finalized packaging wise.

I expect he's referring to the art of the planeswalkers making the Pledge of Allegiance. Typically, if they didn't want to reveal the booster pack art, they'd just, you know, not show the art, so I don't believe it's placeholder art. Plus, it does seem like they'd want to emphasize that the planeswalkers are the ones taking the "oath" in question.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yo, so if I have a Starfield of Nyx out and activated with 5 enchantments and activate the ability of Myth Realized that turns it into a creature with P/T equal to the number of lore counters on it, it should have P/T equal to the number of lore counters on it, right? Like that should override Starfield setting its P/T equal to its CMC, shouldn't it?

Yo, so if I have a Starfield of Nyx out and activated with 5 enchantments and activate the ability of Myth Realized that turns it into a creature with P/T equal to the number of lore counters on it, it should have P/T equal to the number of lore counters on it, right? Like that should override Starfield setting its P/T equal to its CMC, shouldn't it?

Yes, a newer power/toughness setting ability will override an older one.

Jhriad

I know I have at least 1-2 copies, no idea if I have a full playset, will have to check at home.

According to MTGGoldfish he sees occasional use in the sideboard of Bogles, a lot of use in the sideboard of certain Zoo decks, GW decks, and infrequent use in Elves sideboard. I'm guessing it's a combination of there only being a single printing from before the relatively recent boom period of the game and that whoever is buying it up is expecting Zoo to be a big gainer this Modern season, probably rightly so. Add in the potential, if unlikely, upside of a potential unbanning of SFM and whatever hijinks could ensue it seems like a pretty solid spec move.

Angry Grimace

I expect he's referring to the art of the planeswalkers making the Pledge of Allegiance. Typically, if they didn't want to reveal the booster pack art, they'd just, you know, not show the art, so I don't believe it's placeholder art. Plus, it does seem like they'd want to emphasize that the planeswalkers are the ones taking the "oath" in question.

IDK, I think they'd probably want something a little more representative of what's actually in the packs.

I still don't get why Pod was really banned. It feels like it got hit due to being the best response to Delver, which was broken due to Treasure Cruise

all I'm saying is I miss Birthing Pod shenanigans.

OnPoint

Grimace, I also miss Pod. A lot

I think it's interesting that there are 4 pieces of key PW art on those packs, but only 2 PW slots in this set...

... maybe we're getting two dual walkers after all.

OnPoint

Pod got hit because Siege Rhino turned Abzan and Pod into the same deck. It homogenized archetypes in a really unhealthy way.

That, and I can see the argument that the better the creatures got, the better Pod would get, so instead of having to limit creature design, they just axed the point at which they intersect.

Angry Grimace

That, and I can see the argument that the better the creatures got, the better Pod would get, so instead of having to limit creature design, they just axed the point at which they intersect.

Toolbox design is kind of dicey since I could beat storm by just having one Eidolon of Rhetoric in the board. But it was pretty fun and relatively easy to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom