• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the deck if you're ramping you usually don't reserve many slots for cards to get rid of your opponent's threats in play, two vindicates go a long way to put you back into the game.

One thing I realized about the colorless symbol is that it gives them a very elegant way to insert a small amount of eldrazi flavor into a set without having to make a whole big mechanic about it. If they want to make a point of things being corrupted by Emrakul in SOI, for example, they could have effects that cost <> to indicate that, just using a symbol that's already on cards in the set.

Also: confirmation that there will be a preview every day of the WMC, so two more coming.

EDIT: They just officially revealed Kozilek. Guess they are proceeding as if no leaks occurred. How many weeks ago was the Kozilek leak?

In 22 years of Magic I don't think WotC has ever acknowledged one of these leaks in advance except when it's the entire set weeks early (which happened twice, with Judgment and with New Phyrexia.) They still get a bunch of attention for it as they explain stuff about it officially so I'm not sure there's really any downside to them.

kirblar

The word "officially" was used in previews, so they were tacitly acknowledging this one given just how far in advance it was.

I kinda don't think they minded this specific one because a) it was limited and b) holy shit did it reduce the legwork they needed to do explaining Colorless Mana Symbols.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kozilek is a lot better that Ulamog as long as there's sufficient ways to produce colorless mana. Refilling your hand and countering spells is a lot better than getting two vindicates.

I think the reason Ulamog is better is because ramping to 10 mana almost always means you're behind on board to begin with and Kozilek doesn't really help you there.

Lucario

I think the reason Ulamog is better is because ramping to 10 mana almost always means you're behind on board to begin with and Kozilek doesn't really help you there.

This. Kozilek doesn't do shit if you're facing down a pair of Mantis Riders, or a board full of Abzan threats that can attack you for lethal next turn through your one measly blocker. Ugin and Ulamog are both easier to cast and help manage the pressure on the board.

Koz might be a bit of a stretch for Standard ramp decks. I'm definitely jamming him in my mono-U tron deck in Modern, though.

I kinda don't think they minded this specific one because a) it was limited and b) holy shit did it reduce the legwork they needed to do explaining Colorless Mana Symbols.

It's also something weird so when it leaks early people keep talking about it and speculating, as opposed to J. Random Planeswalker where people usually go "cool" and then that's the end of it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Tabak confirmed the Oracle text for Wastes:

For the curious, Wastes has Oracle text of "{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool." Wastes is not a land type nor a type of mana. Just a card name.

So, theoretically, colorless basic lands would/could have different names in future blocks? SOI could have "Crypts," for instance.

azLiHk6.png

Since Wastes is now confirmed to just be "Add (1)", and we know that there will be nonbasics that generate <>, it makes sense that there would only be two Wastes arts.

jph139

I like that they have one Kozilek style and one Ulamog style. Good stuff.

Really excited for future colorless basic possibilities as well.

ultron87

Tabak confirmed the Oracle text for Wastes:

So, theoretically, colorless basic lands would/could have different names in future blocks? SOI could have "Crypts," for instance.

It is real weird that the first printed versions of these won't say what they do. Like, they're lands so you can figure it out, but it's still a weird enough thing that it'll probably perplex someone opening up their first pack. I wonder if there will be reminder text for the <> mana costs or if it is just obvious enough that it works. Or if there's even a good way to write it. Because with the Oracle errata you'd say {<> costs can be paid only with <> mana.} but that doesn't help much because it is self referential. I guess just {<> costs can be paid only with colorless mana} would probably get you there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would have assumed that a basic land without a type would produce C by default.

ultron87

Like I feel like text somewhere on a card should explain that a Hedron Archive or various Eldrazi Scions can cast a Kozilek that you drafted in the same draft, but there's actually nowhere for that to happen.

sgjackson

Like I feel like text somewhere on a card should explain that a Hedron Archive or various Eldrazi Scions can cast a Kozilek that you drafted in the same draft, but there's actually nowhere for that to happen.

rosewater got asked about this on tumblr - he said this was a divisive issue in r&d and he was on the side of including <> symbols on bfz cards, but r&d decided it would be even more confusing in limited to do it that way.

that said, making colorless act like a sixth color is such a splashy idea i think it could have carried two sets, and it makes me wonder why wotc even fucked around with devoid in the first place.

i've been too broke to play much magic past the occasional pre-release or draft recently and bfz did absolutely nothing for me during spoiler season so i didn't play any of it. even considering that, i'm so curious about how <> mana is going to work in a limited format i'm probably down for at least a prerelease and a few drafts. i guess bravo wizards on that front.

So Rosewater confirms that a) there was a big debate about whether to introduce <> in BFZ or OGW and b) he was on the BFZ side. Unsurprisingly, OGW won out for marketing reasons -- if you introduce it in BFZ then it isn't splashy the same way.

There's also the two legends that were leaked but those weren't digital but actual cards photographed so could be other cards.

Those were both pre-release stamped so at least the source of the leaks wasn't from preview material.

I wonder if there will be reminder text for the <> mana costs or if it is just obvious enough that it works.

Sam Stoddard says that most of the cards have the reminder text, Kozilek just doesn't because he's a mythic and they knew they could explain when they previewed him.

I would have assumed that a basic land without a type would produce C by default.

That has weird effects in corner cases, like Urborg TOY causing Wastes to stop producing colorless.

Does anyone else think wizards subtly spoiled OATH cards in the BFZ expansion for duels? Gideon deck has a few new allies with rally. I don't think they've ever had a duels exclusive card.

Yeef

Does anyone else think wizards subtly spoiled OATH cards in the BFZ expansion for duels? Gideon deck has a few new allies with rally. I don't think they've ever had a duels exclusive card.
I don't know which cards you're thinking of, but they're probably just old allies from the first Zendikar block.

ultron87

I played through yesterday and didn't notice any new ones. I think the Allies in that deck are either from BFZ or from original Zendikar block (like Hada Freeblade).

Ashodin

You got a link to the Maro confirm? Also fuck yeah on colorless mana, this is a new age my friends

and yeah the allies in Gideon's deck are from Zendikar original block.

OnPoint

I thought this was interesting

fattestfatty asked: Will colorless mana in the casting cost be used outside Zendikar?

Maro: It will not be something we use often, but it could show up again somewhere else if appropriate.​

Won't be seeing 'Crypts' in SoI then, I take it.

Ashodin

Colorless mana in the cost probably only relating to Eldrazi at the moment, when applicable (and even then, probably only the titans).

HOWEVER, this gives the idea of an Eldrazi-blasted apocalyptic on-the-brink world a good go. Imagine where the mana cost is 2<>/W hybrid mana.

rosewater got asked about this on tumblr - he said this was a divisive issue in r&d and he was on the side of including <> symbols on bfz cards, but r&d decided it would be even more confusing in limited to do it that way.

that said, making colorless act like a sixth color is such a splashy idea i think it could have carried two sets, and it makes me wonder why wotc even fucked around with devoid in the first place.

i've been too broke to play much magic past the occasional pre-release or draft recently and bfz did absolutely nothing for me during spoiler season so i didn't play any of it. even considering that, i'm so curious about how <> mana is going to work in a limited format i'm probably down for at least a prerelease and a few drafts. i guess bravo wizards on that front.
This whole block is a mess. <> would have been a huge announcement to kick off the block and would have been way better than devoid nonsense.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";188862443]This whole block is a mess. <> would have been a huge announcement to kick off the block and would have been way better than devoid nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Seems to me that it would have been a much better way to tie Eldrazi together in the large set, then, maaaaaaaaaaybe, introduce a scattering of devoid creatures in the second set, to signify the way even the native fauna on Zendikar is being corrupted.

kirblar

Seems to me that it would have been a much better way to tie Eldrazi together in the large set, then, maaaaaaaaaaybe, introduce a scattering of devoid creatures in the second set, to signify the way even the native fauna on Zendikar is being corrupted.
Agreed, it works better that way.

Ashodin

INteresting

It’s a Kozilek thing. Ingest and Processors were an Ulamog thing. Different Eldrazi work a bit differently.

I like that each Eldrazi works differently. Ulamog (and its brood) process things from exile to work. Kozilek needs to transform things into Wastes (for colorless mana) to be able to operate.

So we can assume there's more Kozilek's brood that need <> to be cast. I also like the idea that Kozilek, The Great Distortion, is so powerful that it has warped our thoughts about what (1) is and turned it into <>.

Angry Grimace

After a year they won't have to explain this. It will be common place.

My guess is that they decided to just eat it with regard to people moaning and groaning about it during the overlap of BFZ and OGW.

By far my biggest wish for OGW is that &#9830; cards are actually good instead of garbage like snow mana cards were. Please make it worthwhile to draft Wastes.

Angry Grimace

Awww yas. Eldrazi ramp decks gonna look interesting.

Why play Kozilek over Ulamog? Ulamog protects itself for free, immediately affects the board and can't be chumped by two squirrels.

Kozilek conditionally protects itself, sure, but the deck running it has basically nothing but ramp spells which are sort of useless once you've put Kozilek or Ulamog on the battlefield.

OnPoint

My guess is that they decided to just eat it with regard to people moaning and groaning about it during the overlap of BFZ and OGW.

By far my biggest wish for OGW is that &#9830; cards are actually good instead of garbage like snow mana cards were. Please make it worthwhile to draft Wastes.

I, too, am hoping they made good cards for this set.

Lately, though, I have little faith in that.

Ashodin

But why does Ulamog create wastes producing it then?

Side effect of the processing. Interestingly enough, Kozilek can use those wastes as well (though is probably not as preferred as beautiful bismuth). I like the idea of the Eldrazi inadvertently helping each other with their mechanics. I'll be shocked if some of Kozilek's brood in this set don't exile (note, they don't have to have processors, just cards with exile on them).

Angry Grimace

I, too, am hoping they made good cards for this set.

Lately, though, I have little faith in that.

We can only hope that being designed by someone who didn't their entire design file pitched into a garbage can will help it be coherent.

OnPoint

We can only hope that being designed by someone who didn't their entire design file pitched into a garbage can will help it be coherent.

After BFZ, I have serious doubts. I get that this is looking like the shakey-transition block between 3-set-blocks and 2-set-blocks, but they almost couldn't have done worse so far if they tried. If OGW is boring, this will go down as a low-point for the game, at least in my opinion.

Side effect of the processing. Interestingly enough, Kozilek can use those wastes as well (though is probably not as preferred as beautiful bismuth). I like the idea of the Eldrazi inadvertently helping each other with their mechanics. I'll be shocked if some of Kozilek's brood in this set don't exile (note, they don't have to have processors, just cards with exile on them).

Kinda shame Ulamog and Kozilek didn't do a high five in the Uncharted Realms when passing each other.

Following that comes a huge message on the sky "a new warrior has entered the ring"

After BFZ, I have serious doubts. I get that this is looking like the shakey-transition block between 3-set-blocks and 2-set-blocks, but they almost couldn't have done worse so far if they tried. If OGW is boring, this will go down as a low-point for the game, at least in my opinion.

come on it isn't that bad. It's not a Kamigawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom