• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am irrationally upset they're making a core mechanic revolve around 2HG and EDH. I know I shouldn't be, but I do not like it. Nerp. I do not like it one bit. The spike in me is having some rustling jimmie issues at the moment.
No I agree it's a waste of time and design space to give a shit about the gimmick format that exists so people can open twice as many packs at prerelease.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, it doesn't really. It's just a regular spell mechanic (cheaper cost with bigger effect if it's your second spell of the turn) that's worded in a way to make it work well in team games. You can just elide the "or a teammate" part of the text and judge the mechanic that way.

It totally does. It's costed to work with another player and it specifically mentions a teammate. No real way around that. Yes, it's also worded so that you can get around it with shenanigans, but that doesn't change its design. I'm not against the card per se. While boring and not really playable in constructed, it's not offensive. It's the designing for made up formats within an already limited framework I worry about. But, I do recognize that it's irrational and based wholly on my lack of fucks to give to non-competitive formats.

Kinda disappointing the teammate mechanics will be restricted to a small set if they pushed it a little maybe conspiracy style I could imagine building decks with friends, could even make teammate set restricted.

I've been dabbling in the Puzzle Quest game it's a bit rough UI wise but fun, I don't understand what I'm supposed to be paying for the PWs all regenerate health and potions separately

It totally does. It's costed to work with another player

Is it really? 3UU is the "standard" price for "return all nonland permanents," and it's pretty undercosted for bounce-everything plus an 8/8. The condition of casting any one other spell is easy to achieve but not going to happen by default, so it's an easy-to-middling hoop; this card is costed in a pretty standard way for a modern "get a cheaper/better spell if you met a condition" mechanic.

I think they're pretty clearly going to regret this mechanic given some of the reception, but I think the problem is a cognitive error of overvaluing something irrelevant just because it's mentioned, not any real problem with adding "or teammate" to rules text.

WanderingWind

Is it really? 3UU is the "standard" price for "return all nonland permanents," and it's pretty undercosted for bounce-everything plus an 8/8. The condition of casting any one other spell is easy to achieve but not going to happen by default, so it's an easy-to-middling hoop; this card is costed in a pretty standard way for a modern "get a cheaper/better spell if you met a condition" mechanic.

I think they're pretty clearly going to regret this mechanic given some of the reception, but I think the problem is a cognitive error of overvaluing something irrelevant just because it's mentioned, not any real problem with adding "or teammate" to rules text.

That's exactly right. The "real" cost is dependent on either throwing away a card like Walker (wholly a Timmy kitchen table fantasy play), or having EDH/2HG levels of mana available. Otherwise it's a bog standard constructed sleepytime card. The effect is really good for 5 (assuming no bounce in the set) and meh for 6. It's costed to appeal strictly to non-competitive formats.

What this signals is the new age of design is going to start caring about outside formats officially within the confines of standard. The old rules "they don't develop for X" are now obsolete. If they're actively developing core set cards to fit even super fringe formats like 2HG, they could feasible design for any format, officially.

Sure, that's been the case unofficially for some time, but the company line was that those things were supplemental. Sort of like Abrupt Decay showed that they would directly design for modern.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I am irrationally upset they're making a core mechanic revolve around 2HG and EDH. I know I shouldn't be, but I do not like it. Nerp. I do not like it one bit. The spike in me is having some rustling jimmie issues at the moment.

No I agree it's a waste of time and design space to give a shit about the gimmick format that exists so people can open twice as many packs at prerelease.

I agree also, waste of design space for a standard set save this for special releases

WanderingWind

Well, at least it came during a strong block with well thought out mechanics that can cover for a singular misstep. Nothing is perfect, not even BFZ.

noquarter

I kind of agree, but 2HG is pretty good to get new people into Magic. I never really played it before but the shop I've been playing at had 2HG first Friday every month and it is nice to see dad's bringing kids in. Plus it gives people who have never played away from the kitchen table a chance to go with someone they know and try limited in an even less stress filled environment the chance to try. I kind of an on the fence about 2HG myself but se the benefits.

Waste of design space? If they had made this mechanic and left out the words "or a teammate", I am pretty sure there would be no complaints about it.

Kind of silly to say "fuck this set" when we only know four cards from it so far

WanderingWind

Waste of design space? If they had made this mechanic and left out the words "or a teammate", I am pretty sure there would be no complaints about it.

Kind of silly to say "fuck this set" when we only know four cards from it so far

Well, sure, if you change something it becomes something else. If devoid wasn't useless it wouldn't suck. If cipher hadn't costed 83 mana to do anything, it could've been cool. Etc. We got to deal with the cards (GET IT HUH HERR I FUNNY) we're dealt. Surge is not impressing out the gate.

Firemind

We like to complain about the lack of design space for red when there is space if you follow its history. They just choose to ignore them. Rituals are one example that would benefit red archetypes that aren't aggro. Yes, it is dangerous to print them given that Modern already banned Rite of Flame and Seething Song, but that's more of a problem how they want to shape Modern. Modern is actually holding back red's design space. Rituals would be totally fine in Standard. I'd even venture a guess a red Dark Ritual wouldn't be broken in Standard (after Ugin rotates out.)

It's not like they're giving red aggro anything at this point. (see: BFZ)

It's costed to appeal strictly to non-competitive formats.

I mean, it's the blue spell mythic, this slot is for shit like Enter the Infinite. There's nothing that says other cards can't be costed more competitively, it's not like making one a top-tier Standard card is going to break it in 2HG.

Fuck this set. Why do they keep putting edh cards in limited formats?

If you don't know enough about EDH to understand that it has no teammates and this mechanic has no relevance to it, you should probably be barred permanently from whining about "EDH cards" in regular sets, really.

Yeah, the fact that the words are there put people in a mindset to consider it in that context ("don't think about green elephants," etc.) and so that element is given primacy even though it's irrelevant to 95% of the contexts the mechanic will ever be used in. In fact, if you look at the stuff R&D have been saying about multiplayer design, they've specifically mentioned wanting to find more places where they can add a multiplayer-friendly element without making cards that don't function in duels; this kind of added text does exactly that.

What's most surprising to me is that this is using a mythic slot. I can understand it from a Limited perspective in that they don't want this to show up in games that often, but that's a serious feel-bad of a pull.

ultron87

That doesn't seem miscosted at all. Like it is really really good if your teammate is casting some non-permanent spell and you do this on turn 5. But doing something like casting an Anticipate first then doing a five mana Devastation Tide + an 8/8 seems pretty fair as well.

traveler

Not Wario
Certainly feels like a more interesting mechanic than devoid or converge; teammate focus doesn't mean the mechanic can't have standard relevance either. I'm tentatively ok with this one. Kind of a friendlier, more fair take on storm. Plays well with dash for a few months, dark petition, monastery mentor, and jeskai ascendency "combo". (as well as prowess in general)

Edit: What does this have to do with EDH? Teammates aren't the norm in that format either....

This deck sucks

jeskaiblackmtofo.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What's most surprising to me is that this is using a mythic slot. I can understand it from a Limited perspective in that they don't want this to show up in games that often, but that's a serious feel-bad of a pull.

I'm okay grabbing that in Limited honestly. Like, I don't know if it feels "mythic" but reasonably if I have something I can flick out for 2, a total 7 mana investment for something that clears the board and gives me an 8/8 feels fine.

Ashodin

Yeah you guys are freaking out over nothing. I absolutely LOVE this mechanic and think it will be great fun in 2HG or team EDH.

The card itself is a great card for EDH in general without the teammate clause, and Surge fits well into the new Mizzix commander.

traveler

Not Wario
Lightning Berserker can enable this repeatedly for 1 mana.

I'm okay grabbing that in Limited honestly. Like, I don't know if it feels "mythic" but reasonably if I have something I can flick out for 2, a total 7 mana investment for something that clears the board and gives me an 8/8 feels fine.

That's the point of that post- they're saying they see the point of making it mythic so it doesn't show up in limited that often, but still don't like it as getting that as your mythic when cracking packs for constructed playables (which is a bad idea in general anyways...) feels bad. It's super solid if not great in limited.

G.ZZZ

This mechanic is great. I can't wait for

This time we got it right! 1UUU
Sorcery
Surge 1U
Draw 3 cards.

And

Why do i exist? 1R
Sorcery
Surge R
Deal 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If you surged this spell, that damage can't be prevented.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";188965097]This deck sucks

jeskaiblackmtofo.png
[/QUOTE]

I've taken quite a few beats from that, mainboarding monastery Siege and drop painfull truths, they can hurt quite a bit.
Dark deal also helps to close out a few games.

WanderingWind

Yeah you guys are freaking out over nothing. I absolutely LOVE this mechanic and think it will be great fun in 2HG or team EDH.

The card itself is a great card for EDH in general without the teammate clause, and Surge fits well into the new Mizzix commander.

That's sort of exactly what rustles my jimmies. This post is maximum jimmy rustling inducing.

I'm tentatively ok with this one. Kind of a friendlier, more fair take on storm.

Ethan Fleischer mentioned on Twitter that he created it specifically to be a mechanic that felt like storm (and also that they were a little worried that people would take the wrong message from the teammate text but figured once people played with it they'd get that it's not an MP mechanic.)

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";188969108]I tried out my Bloodchief Ascension brew against Bandini.

...I don't think I'll pull it out again. <_<[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's just a little slow against my deck where I've pretty much discarded or played my hand by the time you get it online. And you did get your win back with infect!

Kind of sad I didn't get to do any shenanigans with Evolutionary Leap, seems like I hardly draw it even though I'm playing 3. Maybe I should just go down to 2 and back up to 4 Dark Confidants? I dunno.

I do wonder if they'll all be "better with Surge" or if some will just be casting it for cheaper.

I expect the common versions will just have cost reduction.

Surge Bolt - 2R
Instant
Surge R
Surge Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Though I'm kind of hoping for something spicy like this.

Surge Shock - 1R
Instant
Surge 0
Surge Shock deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
You may cast this for its surge cost only if you or a teammate control a Mountain.

Toxi

Banned
...How does Surge revolve around EDH?

Ashodin

I think the entire point of Surge is that it's easier to cast after another spell has been cast.

The ones to watch out for will be any Instants or Creatures with flash imo. Those are where the power surge costs will be.

hee hee power surge

Mechanic That Works in Duels but Has Added Benefits with Other Players - 2C
Surge C
Rustle the jimmies of target player and each of his or her teammates.

Dragonmaster Outcast is the most fun card in BFZ. It's the only reason why I don't outright hate the format lol. That and Ojutai's Command being the best reanimation spell in Standard is pretty funny.

Yeah it's just a little slow against my deck where I've pretty much discarded or played my hand by the time you get it online. .

The main problems with the deck are that I don't have a consistent way to get bloodchief ascension online or get cards in your graveyard once I do :p

So... <_<

ElyrionX

Fuck this set. Why do they keep putting edh cards in limited formats?

Because otherwise there'd be only one EDH release per year and EDH is easily the second most popular format behind Standard?

EDH is almost like the safety net of Magic. People who get burned out on competitive formats and metas almost inevitably turn to that format. It's great way to keep players in the game until something in the other format catches their eye again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom