• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I just realized it's now CWUBRG or WUBRGC. Take your pick.

Even more interesting:

movezig5 asked: So if a card requires colored mana and colorless ({C}) mana, what order will they be listed in the mana cost? I'm guessing colorless mana would go after generic, but before colored.

We’ll solve that problem when we get to it.

Potentially means there's no cards in OGW that cast for (COLOR)(COLORLESS) in their cost. Meaning, all cards that have (C) in their cost are colorless with generic mana costs attached.

traveler

Not Wario
Unrelated to current discussion, but Isn't parasitic kind of a dumb label in Magic given what the word actually means? The whole point of a parasite is that it depends on a different creature- a host- to sustain itself, which is the exact opposite of what parasitic mechanics are- cards/mechanics that can only sustain themselves through themselves.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, I assume team EDH exists in the same way that I assume kitchen tables have probably seen team standard, team modern, whatever, but it's not some established format and it's certainly not something I think of when I look at a card and go "oh, another EDH plant".

To address the bigger concern, Rosewater has talked about making sure each set features something for every player and every format- WotC printing cards for other formats has been around for a long time. 2HG has always gotten the shaft, so it getting anything looks weird these days. If all their 2HG oriented design is like this- finding a mechanic with solid design space in a standard 1v1 environment that also naturally works well with 2HG- it's even less of a problem since these aren't even dedicated 2HG/EDH cards. Yeah, surge is just fine.

Ashodin

2HG is a great format because STOP! collaborate and listen, with your partner is a great feeling in the game.

I'm not sorry

Santiako

Holy shit a guy just killed himself (in the game) on camera in SCG Invitational. He played the summoning pact before playing bloom with just 1 karoo on the table, so he didn't have any more land drops or mana. LOL

ironmang

Finally took reanimator out for a spin today at a small legacy tournament. Went 2-2-1 on the day with my draw being to a buddy when there was a clear T8 cut with us on the out. Beat tezz and grixis delver. Lost to burn twice. Definitely made a lot of play mistakes and sideboard mistakes but that's expected being completely new to a deck.

Was on the fence about playing Jace, Vryn's Prodigy but I'm definitely sold on it after today. It was pretty amazing every time I played it and even if I lost that game Jace still kept me in it.

Also I played against that Alex guy who won an invitational recently. He was the delver player and was a pretty big asshole the whole time. I'd expect someone who won a massive tournament to just be there for fun but he basically called me a horrible player making the worst plays possible. Also acted the same way when my buddy beat him in the previous round.

EDH is almost like the safety net of Magic. People who get burned out on competitive formats and metas almost inevitably turn to that format. It's great way to keep players in the game until something in the other format catches their eye again.

Exactly. I feel like I have to explain this over and over to people who make weird claims about how WotC doesn't want anyone to play Eternal formats since then they don't have to buy as many cards. WotC wants everyone to play eternal formats sometimes because it makes it much more likely that someone who hates the current set will just fall back on Legacy/EDH/whatevs instead of quitting altogether.

If all their 2HG oriented design is like this- finding a mechanic with solid design space in a standard 1v1 environment that also naturally works well with 2HG- it's even less of a problem since these aren't even dedicated 2HG/EDH cards. Yeah, surge is just fine.

I also want to note that R&D created Extort so they obviously (and correctly) don't give a shit if one of their mechanics is correctly priced for duels but ludicrously powerful in 2HG.

Here you go Duxstar

jeskaiblacktxsoj.png

Force of Rustled Jimmies 1U
Instant
You may discard an article of clothing rather then pay Force of Rustled Jimmies' Mana cost

Counter Target spell. If the spell is sucessfully countered this way, put a rustle counter on piece of clothing target opponent is wearing(If a player has a rustle counter on 5 or more pieces of clothing, they lose the game)

traveler

Not Wario
Is there a Rosewater post/tweet/blogatog on what exactly colorless's part of the color pie, now that it is a defined color in its own right effectively, is? (Outside artifact synergy) This is basically purple, so I'm curious how they've found the room to give it stuff.

Is there a Rosewater post/tweet/blogatog on what exactly colorless's part of the color pie, now that it is a defined color in its own right effectively, is? (Outside artifact synergy) This is basically purple, so I'm curious how they've found the room to give it stuff.

Multiple Blogatog posts have given the following information:
1. C in costs is not going to be used often. It can return, but it will be used much less than even hybrid mana costs.
2. C will not be given the same focus in terms of mechanics and flavor as the colors.

From this, we can assume that C in costs will just be a cost reducer for what's already available to colorless.

There's some stuff from around BFZ. The biggest thing they've mentioned explicitly is caring about exile.

since the time I designed a set to introduce a sixth color, I had its biggest gimmick being "care about exile" this strikes me as entirely proper and correct

Son1x

So I guess we won't be having the whole Manland + filter land cycle expeditions with Ancient Tomb and Forbidden Orchard spoiled.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had a dream I was in the feature match of some SCG event but I couldn't read any of my cards because they were too blurry. Eventually I could read them but they were all random commons from like Return to Ravnica and I got DQ'd because they weren't on my deck list.

So it's probably filter lands + 10 random good lands.

If wasteland is one of them, the price will be insane.
There's no way one of them isn't Wasteland.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I predict everyone will be salty at the guy with Ancient Tomb in his pool.

But yeah Wasteland makes more sense than most other lands because most lands arent nearly as generic.

Firemind

wasteland
rishadan port
karakas
dark depths
inkmoth nexus
cavern of souls
mutavault
ancient tomb
forbidden orchard
academy ruins

too bad mishra's workshop, tabernacle, city of traitors and gaea's cradle are on the reserve list.

they're probably going to be city of brass, gemstone mine, mishra's factory, strip mine, valakut or some other nonsense.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, maybe someone has played this, but I've never ever seen it.

When I was still frequenting game shops 2 years ago (damn you, Germany) it was the only version heavily played. For a while, I didn't even know "normal' EDH was played. Yes, I understand it was a vagrancy of that particular area and yes, I am aware this comes across as contrarian, but I also mentioned 2HG first and foremost for a reason.

On topic: If they do an expedition Inkmoth, I may actually buy into them. They'd be super sweet for my totally never getting banhammered modern deck.

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";189045236]I wanna see someone win their pod at the PT with Ancient Tomb.[/QUOTE]

I want to see an Ancient Tomb get Wastelanded at a sealed GP.

Angry Grimace

wasteland
rishadan port
karakas
dark depths
inkmoth nexus
cavern of souls
mutavault
ancient tomb
forbidden orchard
academy ruins

too bad mishra's workshop, tabernacle, city of traitors and gaea's cradle are on the reserve list.

they're probably going to be city of brass, gemstone mine, mishra's factory, strip mine, valakut or some other nonsense.
Valakut is an interesting idea. I don't know that Mishra can have a factory on Zendikar though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom