• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Is that because Ugin is particularly strong in the meta right now?
Nah, it's that he's high-priced (DD reprint would crash him) and it's very difficult to make a colorless themed duel deck. It could happen, but I would bet against it. Sarkhan v Narset or Sarkhan v Sorin makes more sense.

Draxal

Nah, it's that he's high-priced (DD reprint would crash him) and it's very difficult to make a colorless themed duel deck. It could happen, but I would bet against it. Sarkhan v Narset or Sarkhan v Sorin makes more sense.

Sarkhan vs Sarkhan imho.

Ooccoo

I'm afraid RDW will suck unless something big happens this week with the spoilers. We haven't seen a lot of red cards and I still hope for a Goblin Guide reprint. There were 7 goblins in the original Zendikar set. Zada, Hedron Grinder is cool but we need something more aggressive. Goblin Chieftain would be amazing. Lightning Bolt...I'd be so happy. Just give us something!

I looked up a couple Vendilion Clique EDH decks and it seems like people like to use Tunnel Vision as a finisher. It's a pretty good interaction with Clique, but there's so many ways to shuffle and manipulate your library that I don't think it's reliable enough. Instead, I went with a sweet alternate 6-drop in Stolen Identity.

Grabs all kinds of cool shit or copies your Snapcaster, and at worst it gets you an extra Clique trigger every turn. Really fun way to close out the end of a game. I might be a little too obsessed with clone effects though.

134559kyoa.jpg
image7uxjo.jpg

An-Det

Apparently the Abzan player on camera in round 15 played 2 lands in a turn. I didn't see it myself, but I guess the judges went back to see what happened.

Sarkhan vs. Sarkhan.

EDIT: Oops, beaten.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is that because Ugin is particularly strong in the meta right now?
It's because WOTC doesn't outwardly care about card prices, but it drives sales. There's no reason to reprint Ugin outside of a more expensive set like MMA.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sarkhan Unbroken really should have been just RG....

Daedardus

They've previously put similarly high priced cards in Duel Decks, that's not a reason why they don't choose a card. A reprint wouldn't be that bad, unless you speculate on the card and don't expect a $5 drop.

They usually keep the value down because otherwise the price and availabilty of the decks would be high and low respectively. But there's no rule that they can't do higher value cards.

If Duel Decks only cover planeswalker conflicts that could have happened during the previous block, then the only one that's actually possible is Ugin vs. Bolas.

kirblar

If Duel Decks only cover planeswalker conflicts that could have happened during the previous block, then the only one that's actually possible is Ugin vs. Bolas.
The PWs always both come from the most recent block (as of the original 1-year block cycle.)

It'd definitely be the cool one to do, but we've also already had Bolas in a DD.

sgjackson

thought about what i wanted from nekusar and decided to go for something that seems slightly less linear - niv mizzet. i slapped together something quick here based on a primer i found at mtgsalv, does anyone have any input/advice?
i assume this is up firemind's alley

The Planeswalker cards are great; but why is storyline Sarkhan so popular?

As far as I'm concerned, he's damnable for turning Tarkir from an exciting clan world to a boring dragon world. Khans > Dragons.

kirblar

As far as I'm concerned, he's damnable for turning Tarkir from an exciting clan world to a boring dragon world. Khans > Dragons.
He needs to be the villain in Tarkir II, and I think you kill him off.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

He also saved Ugin though, and therefore made it possible to stop the Eldrazi. So, you know, greater good or something. Not that these were his intentions at all.

But I agree that he should be the villain of the second Tarkir set.

hort

Neo Member
This is the current temur list I'm running at the moment:

3 elvish mystic
3 rattleclaw mystic
4 savage knuckleblade
4 thunderbreak regent
2 mistcutter hydra
2 managorger hydra
2 surrak, the hunt caller

4 wild slash
3 lightning strike
3 stubborn denial
2 arc lightning
2 exquisite firecraft
2 crater's claws

4 frontier bivouc
2 yavimaya coast
7 forest
9 mountain
1 island

Obviously the manabase could use some improving, but other than that I was wondering what could be improved here? I know stuff like den protector and deathmist would be good, but that is a little out of my price range at the moment.

I want to add 2 sarkahn the unbrokens and possibly 2 nissas I think, and maybe a couple atarka's commands. Atarka herself would of course be good too.

I have one Jace, vyrn's prodigy and was wondering what everyone thought of adding him to the list for flashbacking all the burn spells I have? Is it worth it? Should I get another one of him?

This is the current temur list I'm running at the moment:

3 elvish mystic
3 rattleclaw mystic
4 savage knuckleblade
4 thunderbreak regent
2 mistcutter hydra
2 managorger hydra
2 surrak, the hunt caller

4 wild slash
3 lightning strike
3 stubborn denial
2 arc lightning
2 exquisite firecraft
2 crater's claws

4 frontier bivouc
2 yavimaya coast
7 forest
9 mountain
1 island

Obviously the manabase could use some improving, but other than that I was wondering what could be improved here? I know stuff like den protector and deathmist would be good, but that is a little out of my price range at the moment.

I want to add 2 sarkahn the unbrokens and possibly 2 nissas I think, and maybe a couple atarka's commands. Atarka herself would of course be good too.

I have one Jace, vyrn's prodigy and was wondering what everyone thought of adding him to the list for flashbacking all the burn spells I have? Is it worth it? Should I get another one of him?
what is this i dont even

+2 Yavimaya Coast
+2 Shivan Reef

-2 Mistcutter (sideboard)
+4 Frost Walker
-2 Lightning Strike
+2 Atarka's Command

Sarkhan the Unbroken is only good with a playset of both Mystics (Elvish and Rattleclaw). You want him out by turn 3 or turn 4. After that, you need a serious tempo/control deck to let him work, in my experience.

When Elvish Mystic rotates out, I'm selling off my Sarkhans for high as I can. Temur is getting SLOW after rotation, it's going to switch from ramp to beef.

Dragonlord Atarka is hard without ramp, but she's an absolutely amazing soul-crushing late win condition.

A playset of Frost Walkers is a must. You'd think it's fragile; but you can absolutely steamroll an opponent with them sometimes.

Maybe switch out Arc Lightning for a Feed the Clan.

Flamewake Phoenix is underrated.

Have you seen my deck list?

hort

Neo Member
what is this i dont even

+2 Yavimaya Coast
+2 Shivan Reef

-2 Mistcutter (sideboard)
+4 Frost Walker
-2 Lightning Strike
+2 Atarka's Command

Sarkhan the Unbroken is only good with a playset of both Mystics (Elvish and Rattleclaw). You want him out by turn 3 or turn 4. After that, you need a serious tempo/control deck to let him work, in my experience.

When Elvish Mystic rotates out, I'm selling off my Sarkhans for high as I can. Temur is getting SLOW after rotation, it's going to switch from ramp to beef.

Dragonlord Atarka is hard without ramp, but she's an absolutely amazing soul-crushing late win condition.

A playset of Frost Walkers is a must. You'd think it's fragile; but you can absolutely steamroll an opponent with them sometimes.

Maybe switch out Arc Lightning for a Feed the Clan.

Flamewake Phoenix is underrated.

Have you seen my deck list?

Yea, I've seen it. I've only recently gotten back in the game and been trying to build what I can with the little that I have at the moment. I know a lot of this isn't ideal but thats why I'm asking what would make it better.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try out some frost walkers and look into some of the others.

Honestly, I'm personally restricting myself to Tarkir block and Origins cards, to stop relying on Theros and M15 cards.

Although for your situation, fuck it. The Scrylands from Theros would be a good, cheap alternative to Yavimaya and Shivan, so maybe look into those.

I'd say, more than anything it boils down to this: Do you want a Temur deck that will pulverize the foe, or a Temur deck that will dismantle whatever they throw at you?

hort

Neo Member
Honestly, I'm personally restricting myself to Tarkir block and Origins cards, to stop relying on Theros and M15 cards.

Although for your situation, fuck it. The Scrylands from Theros would be a good, cheap alternative to Yavimaya and Shivan, so maybe look into those.

I'd say, more than anything it boils down to this: Do you want a Temur deck that will pulverize the foe, or a Temur deck that will dismantle whatever they throw at you?

I had a couple of scrylands in there but recently took them out to get a feel for the deck without them. I would do the same for the other theros/m15 cards but don't have great replacements for them at the moment.

I like a slightly aggroish deck but want to be able to still compete in the late game if it gets that far.

Edit: That was my first time seeing lantern control. That deck seems ridiculous to play against

Angry Grimace

God's Beard tune in to watch your beloved Lantern deck one last time before it gets banned.

Firemind

thought about what i wanted from nekusar and decided to go for something that seems slightly less linear - niv mizzet. i slapped together something quick here based on a primer i found at mtgsalv, does anyone have any input/advice?
i assume this is up firemind's alley
It depends whether you want to do some of the things or all the things. Yes, you can build Niv-Mizzet as a combo deck. No, you don't need Curiosity or Ophidian's Eye to go off. The problem with Niv-Mizzet is that people associate him with that linear combo. They will be prepared and ready to deal with it at any time. You can try to play him as a control deck, hope they ignore you, slap some auras onto him and go off with enough counterspells in hand. But that's daft. Dream bigger. What are dreams made off? The answer lies in Omniscience.

See, I associate Niv-Mizzet as the kind of dragon wizard who's brilliant, impatient and absolutely mad. He's the typical mad scientist. And what better discovery than to defy the laws of magic and cast spells without paying mana. Omniscience is the gateway. The destination? Enter the Infinite. It lets you pick up all your cards and essentially win. X spells unfortunately don't work very well with Omniscience, but Enter the Infinite does not belong in that group. One of the issues with Niv-Mizzet is that even with Curiosity attached, the damage isn't infinite. In a group of 4+ players, you'd have to deal up to 120 damage, which is more than your deck allows. There's Elixer of Immortality to work around that, but Conflagrate essentially does the same thing, only better. You can draw your deck, play Niv-Mizzet, kill the first players, bounce everything else with Capsize, play a Timetwister effect and do it all over again.

Dream Halls is Omniscience's little brother, but it's far more riskier, since opponents can also cast spells for free. But Omniscience is a $25 dollar card while Dream Halls is not. Enter the Infinite is peanuts in comparison and really what you'd want to cast. For a budget deck, I think Dream Halls is acceptable.

Yeef

I don't think they'll do another Planeswalker throwback Duel Deck. With the 2 block model, I think the next duel deck will be another preview one, but for the spring set.

kirblar

I don't think they'll do another Planeswalker throwback Duel Deck. With the 2 block model, I think the next duel deck will be another preview one, but for the spring set.
Won't work for new planes very well. They can now do two pw dds and I think they will.

Angry Grimace

BBD misses the line of play to CC his Twin off Snapcaster Mage and instead put it on Deceiver Exarch, but wins by casting 5 Lightning Bolt in one turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom