• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Lantern Control, and Esper Dragon's winning 2 event's in the same day, yet people will still tell me control is dead, and how wizards keep's ignoring it every set.
Well that's a constant. Control is always dead, and when a control deck does well it's not control or it's an outlier.

Other constants of Magic complaints

• "Red sucks, Blue's too good"
  • "Magic is way too expensive"
  • "<Insert Mythic> sucks, it shouldn't be mythic"
  • "<Insert Mythic> is just a pushed standard card, it shouldn't be mythic"
  • "The new set getting previewed is terrible compared to the last block"
  • "Abolish the Reserve List for fuck's sake"
  • "<Insert deck> is unfair and unfun and anyone who plays it is a poopyhead"
  • "<Insert card> should be banned in modern"
  • "Modern is too ban-happy"
  • "I wish Wizards would stop making cards for <Insert format> already"
  • "Enough with multicolor!"
  • "Give us more mana fixing!"
  • "Fire MaRo"

Some of these complaints are valid, some aren't, but expect to keep hearing them year after year after year. Magic has lots of players with lots of different opinions on the game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Slow play by modo players is another one that sucks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well that's a constant. Control is always dead, and when a control deck does well it's not control or it's an outlier.

• "Fire MaRo"

Some of these complaints are valid, some aren't, but expect to keep hearing them year after year after year. Magic has lots of players with lots of different opinions on the game.

This is just every conceivable complaint, though.

Angry Grimace

Also, Lantern Control can't beat Noble Hierarch attacking sometimes. Watching LSV's series where he played the deck he lost to a Birds of Paradise with 3 Exalted Triggers just attacking him over and over.

Angry Grimace

Nah, it doesn't contain "why didn't Theros have any winged unicorns?!"
(Take a wild guess whose complaint that is.)

No idea, actually.
KuGsj.gif

The only thing I know is that GB likes weirdo decks that attack from a strange axis and likes to claim they're the best deck in the format, kirblar hates Dissolve with a burning passion and bigkrev (I think its him?) hates hexproof more than anything in the universe. And if I go to the last page on mobile and scroll up and see a post that's 10 times longer than every other post, its charlequin responding to 5 people in one post.

Even worse; Now that everyone has seen it they will become "interested" in it, enough to want to test it all day on cockatrice and mtgo. So prepare for hour long matches wherever you go to play modern.

It's been hilarious seeing everyone get dramatic about the prospect of playing against Lantern. It's not a super complicated deck. Not like Eggs was. Eggs went to time every match because there was a statistically significant chance of the combo fizzling without any interaction, so letting it play out was a thing to do. That's not the case with Lantern. There's a very clear 'I have no outs' threshold, and even beyond that its only like 5 minutes of milling.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

• "Fire MaRo"

The game isn't perfect and people rightfully talk about the flaws. Blue is factually too good, by their own admission. They have had trouble expanding red's design space, by their own admission. Nobody, even WotC employees like the reserve list. Obviously, they'd love the freedom to print what they want, when they want. Magic does continue to increase in price and they've done a poor job keeping up with the new demand on hot products (if the sellouts of BFZ's fatpacks at stores thing is a real issue and not internet BS, it's starting to leak into mainline products too.

....I dunno. I'm pretty stoked for BFZ though, even if it does seem like the least focused set in recent memory. Eldrazi and full art lands cover a lot of flaws. Not sure why sunburst is back, but maybe it'll mean something in constructed come Oath.

And people who want MaRo fired are, frankly, idiots.

Nah, it doesn't contain "why didn't Theros have any winged unicorns?!"
(Take a wild guess whose complaint that is.)

Why are sirens not faeries??? Is my Theros complaint.

I've been looking for a 1 CMC slot for my tribal deck for ages now and Hypnotic Siren would have been perfect. I had to settle for Faerie Miscreant and Faerie Impostor, which has anti synergy with Onna's Scion.

Blue is factually too good, by their own admission.

Still think it's hilarious they actually printed Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time. Blue decks never have a stacked graveyard after all and having the mana to Dig, find a counter and another Dig in response to a threat is ridiculous.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

• "Fire MaRo"

Youll hear similar things about any long running game in any gaming medium. Doesnt matter whether its board, card, pen and paper, or video.

German flavor text is painful to read.

why do we hate our mother tongue? If you're german speaking that is, everything sounds so dumb translated to german.

I'd rather play read the bones, even in a 3 coloured deck. You get to scour the top 4 cards if necessary compared to the top 3 of this card. Not to mention that you might only have a single source of your 3rd colour and subsequently unable to cast the cards you drew.

Either they were just hurting for more dumb cards to put Devoid on, or they wanted to make the card work on manlands even through a protection spell. Otherwise why not just reprint Sowing Salt?

Wichu

Either they were just hurting for more dumb cards to put Devoid on, or they wanted to make the card work on manlands even through a protection spell. Otherwise why not just reprint Sowing Salt?

You could sow some serious salt via Pyromancer's Goggles.

I'm pretty sure it's just for the Eldrazi flavour.

Wasn't Sowing Salt played the last time it was in Standard?

Wichu

So wait for that red card, long as it's on the field the player will always get a 5/5 flying dragon each turn?

If you control six or more lands, yes.

Also I kinda regret trading my Archangel of Tithes for one at the ORI prerelease now.

So wait for that red card, long as it's on the field the player will always get a 5/5 flying dragon each turn?

so long as you have the lands, yeah. But it's a 1/1 for one that does nothing until turn 6

I wanted it for my dragon deck originally in Worldwake but playing mana dorks gets me to 5 faster and thundermaws and stormbreaths can attack right away.

Well you don't have to summon it right away, save it for an end turn then the next turn, boom, flying dragon :p

Who controls the tokens? The opponents or you?

You do. They get the horse, you get the troops that spill out from inside it. I tried to make this card work with Evolutionary Leap once but it was too stupid.

LProtag

Reading more into how to get into Magic again has been pretty fun.

I kinda wish that some store around me had a sealed league or deckbuilder's toolkit league, but I don't think they do.

If I wanted to start a league with a few friends, how many would I need to make it fun, and how much bookkeeping would I have to do?

Ideally I want to just play draft and sealed so I don't spend a ton of money.

Firemind

Reading more into how to get into Magic again has been pretty fun.

I kinda wish that some store around me had a sealed league or deckbuilder's toolkit league, but I don't think they do.

If I wanted to start a league with a few friends, how many would I need to make it fun, and how much bookkeeping would I have to do?

Ideally I want to just play draft and sealed so I don't spend a ton of money.
Collect a cash pool, buy a box, draft (minimum 6 players), have fun! The cards you get out of the packs are then sold and used to buy another box. Repeat until the set is no longer fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom