• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Won't work for new planes very well. They can now do two pw dds and I think they will.
They've already done them for new planes. Both Speed vs. Cunning and Heroes vs. Monsters.

In the past they used the fall duel deck to build hype (with preview cards) and the spring duel deck to stabilize sales a bit. I guess it ultimately comes down to which is more important.

I am curious to see how the second block release schedule shakes out. Typically the 3rd set isn't around for long before the summer supplemental set hits. It's going to be weird to draft Tears for a few weeks, then draft [Conspiracy 2]* for a few weeks, then draft Fears/Tears.

kirblar

Yeah, but I don't think they're as effective - I suspect the PW decks sell better. We'll see what happens.

Aside on Scars/Battle that I thought of- in Scars, the two sides communicate what they are visually very well. Mirrans are metal, Phyexians are alien good and very organic.

Here in BoE, we don't have that. Yes, colorless is what the eldrazi are and communicates the tribe, but WHAT ARE ELDRAZI to a new player? You need a strong coherent mechanical identity to convey this. The art conveys the "weird and alien" all on its own- you need to explain why they're dangerous via how they play.

Same thing with the Zendikari- in OG Zen ths was obviously D&D adventure world. Without that, they're just a random plane.

There's a presumption that the audience understands what these things are going in that is VERY un-NWO and very bad for the game and being open to new players.

I have learned not to doubt the wisdom of GB's theorycrafting- at least in terms of "is it viable?"

Well the main difference is that I started hyping you guys up this time after playing the deck for a few dozen matches. Then I started legitimately working on it.

My random decklists you can probably still take with a grain of salt :p

I really like the AEther Grid in his decklist though, I need to find a slot for that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that the deck does all the things that got Sensei's Divining Top banned to begin with.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178660685]My deck is based on his. His deck is the one I've been testing this whole time.[/QUOTE]
Oh I know, they just read as win-more to me in the matches where time is a huge concern.

Yeef

Not sure I understand why BBD didn't take all 3 cards from the Jace. Seemed like he had plenty of cards in his library and Zac was a 3 with no way to deal with Keranos.

Oh I know, they just read as win-more to me in the matches where time is a huge concern.

You can basically empty your hand on turn three-four no matter what you keep. The matches where time is a concern it's because you don't have a Bridge or Lantern. And the tutors get you redundant copies of cards when you aren't hellbent anyway. The games you lose are the ones where you're just blindly milling away and your opponent cryptics your only bridge or whatever. The deck basically doesn't function in the majority of matchups when you don't have a bridge and Ancient Stirrings isn't consistent at finding it as I'd like.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178662086]Didn't he have the Spellskite out already? I was wondering about that but I walked away from the game for a minute to put away my dishes.[/QUOTE]I think so, yeah.

It annoyed me at the end there that they were handling the reveal and fetches wrong. If he fetches for a land and just happens to take the one that's on top, the next card isn't revealed until after the shuffle. They were playing reveal both before and after the shuffle.

Firemind

I think so, yeah.

It annoyed me at the end there that they were handling the reveal and fetches wrong. If he fetches for a land and just happens to take the one that's on top, the next card isn't revealed until after the shuffle. They were playing reveal both before and after the shuffle.
I think after a while your brain just shuts down automatically from all the lantering and milling.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178663049]Lantern Control best control deck in modern reconfirmed.[/QUOTE]

The best control deck in Modern is still Twin.

Angry Grimace

I hate twin and blue and how fun it is to play the colour but they are awful

Anyone have Paul Rietzl's Merfolk Decklist. I'm just 2 mutavaults and 2 aether vials short of assembling most of it. I wish Kiora had been mono blue though just for flavour.

11 Island
4 Mutavault
3 Cavern of Souls
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge

4 Cursecatcher
4 Harbinger of the Tides
4 Master of Waves
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Spreading Seas
4 Æther Vial
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner

1 Vapor Snag

Sideboard

2 Vapor Snag
4 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Remand
2 Spellskite
2 Spell Pierce
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Dismember

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178663790]If you say so![/QUOTE]

I mean, Twin has the results to prove it. Zac got super lucky in all three of those games getting Cages, Bells and Lanterns in his opening hand and won game 3 basically off a topdecked Thoughtseize.

I mean, Twin has the results to prove it. Zac got super lucky in all three of those games getting Cages, Bells and Lanterns in his opening hand and won game 3 basically off a topdecked Thoughtseize.

Cages bells and lanterns are what the deck is made out of.

And BBD won game 2 off a topdecked Keranos so I don't know what your point is.
Chalice on 1 seems like it'd be hell for the Lantern deck.

It certainly doesn't make me happy when I see it. Not unbeatable though. Shatterstorm is the one that really gets me.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178664336]Cages bells and lanterns are what the deck is made out of.

And BBD won game 2 off a topdecked Keranos so I don't know what your point is.[/QUOTE]Well, my point is that "Lantern Control is the best control deck in Modern" is legitimately a laughable statement. But my greater point is that you're a bad person for wanting to play a Prison Deck and you should feel bad.

Well, my point is that "Lantern Control is the best control deck in Modern" is legitimately a laughable statement. But my greater point is that you're a bad person for wanting to play a Prison Deck and you should feel bad.

It's not my fault that Modern is made up of a bunch of shitbombing turn 3-4 combo decks.

It really says something when what most people think of as the best "control" deck in modern resembles Delver more closely than Miracles. I hate modern because the answers are so garbage compared to the threats and the games are way less dynamic than other formats. I play Lantern Control because it's the only deck that can actually compete by containing your opponent indefinitely in modern.

Yeef

From a spectator's perspective, decks like Lantern Control probably aren't good for the game in the long run. It's like a basketball team constantly stealing the ball and running out the shot clock without ever scoring themselves until the final few seconds.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178665284]I'm not interested in arguing the semantics. The fact is that Lantern is the most competitive wholly defensive deck in Modern.[/QUOTE]
I do not disagree.

Angry Grimace

From a spectator's perspective, decks like Lantern Control probably aren't good for the game in the long run. It's like a basketball team constantly stealing the ball and running out the shot clock without ever scoring themselves until the final few seconds.

This is, in fact, why the shot clock was invented to begin with.

Angry Grimace

Obviously BBD needed some Disrupting Shoals in his sideboard

sgjackson

niv-mizzet stuff

the primer on mtgsalv does something similar with inner fire+comet storm and i'm really considering dropping the cash on omniscience because it's speaking to me on a spiritual level. do you have a list i can look at?

i'm also brainstorming ways to make the deck less spikey because i imagine comboing off with niv-mizzet would be complete anathema to certain playgroups and it seems like a good idea to have a sideboard to make it less crazy

duxstar

Lantern Control, and Esper Dragon's winning 2 event's in the same day, yet people will still tell me control is dead, and how wizards keep's ignoring it every set.

Coincidentally the 2 decks I hate playing against the absolute most. I just LOVED watching the announcers going "this deck is awesome", because it is literally the most infuriating "un-awesome" thing to play against.

Even worse; Now that everyone has seen it they will become "interested" in it, enough to want to test it all day on cockatrice and mtgo. So prepare for hour long matches wherever you go to play modern.

Lantern Control, and Esper Dragon's winning 2 event's in the same day, yet people will still tell me control is dead, and how wizards keep's ignoring it every set.

Coincidentally the 2 decks I hate playing against the absolute most. I just LOVED watching the announcers going "this deck is awesome", because it is literally the most infuriating "un-awesome" thing to play against.

Even worse; Now that everyone has seen it they will become "interested" in it, enough to want to test it all day on cockatrice and mtgo. So prepare for hour long matches wherever you go to play modern.

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom