• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Collect a cash pool, buy a box, draft (minimum 6 players), have fun! The cards you get out of the packs are then sold and used to buy another box. Repeat until the set is no longer fun.

So it's possible to make enough off a box selling cards individually to continue buying boxes without spending money?

I guess I'd have to figure out how to deal with if someone really wanted a particular rare card or something though.

Yeef

Ancient Craving is also rare. Never understood why. I guess they just don't want black to have too much card advantage.

Firemind

So it's possible to make enough off a box selling cards individually to continue buying boxes without spending money?

I guess I'd have to figure out how to deal with if someone really wanted a particular rare card or something though.
Well, it's certainly possible. Khans for example had a lot of value in the fetchlands. What usually happens though is that the value is less than what you payed for it, so everyone has to chip in again. But who knows!? You might get one of those special expedition lands!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, it's certainly possible. Khans for example had a lot of value in the fetchlands. What usually happens though is that the value is less than what you payed for it, so everyone has to chip in again. But who knows!? You might get one of those special expedition lands!

might even be a boat!

my bad good removal

Cheap instant speed removal that fits into any deck running creatures? This card will never survive past pick 2 in draft, that's a guarantee. It's an A+ limited card and it could also see play in constructed since it fits into colors that normally don't get straight up removal. I could see U/B control decks designed to survive until they can drop the new Ulamog or something run two of these, especially since the replacement for Hero's Downfall is sorcery speed.

Cheap instant speed removal that fits into any deck running creatures? This card will never survive past pick 2 in draft, that's a guarantee. It's an A+ limited card and it could also see play in constructed since it fits into colors that normally don't get straight up removal. I could see U/B control decks designed to survive until they can drop the new Ulamog or something run two of these, especially since the replacement for Hero's Downfall is sorcery speed.

you need to reveal a colourless creature, I'd take guaranteed removal at sorcery speed that can also destroy a PW over an instant that can remove a creature if I have a colourless creature in my hand that's also more powerful. In a mirror matchup this also can't get rid of Ulamog.

For limited when you run a lot of Eldrazi sure but the requirements will just have it be a dead or subpar card in your hand more often than not.

In standard the only colourless creature currently played is hangarback walker so 0/0.

In modern Tron could play it and what else? Affinity doesn't run a single artifact creature stronger than 2.

f0rk

It's not necessarily that good in limited. It does nothing if you play all your creatures or have no other cards in hand.

Siegcram

It's pretty much Induce Despair for all intents and purposes.
Well, Induce didn't have a color (or lack thereof)-requirement. Now, with Devoid this shouldn't be as much of an issue, but I wouldn't call it an A+ limited card, and especially not "premium removal".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
en_SUAJo8p10K.png

http://mythicspoiler.com/bfz/cards/noyandarroilshaper.html

Pretty neat , lots of deck ideas coming from this guy

3 counters puts it in the danger of just getting bolted by whatever card we get this set though.

WoTC stop it with the multicolored merfolk please.

now this is a good card for limited it is whatever you need it to be, a bear, a hill giant,... Also doesn't lock you into any colour when drafting just shouldn't be a rare.

Angry Grimace

This set is unsaveable, I think. Looks like garbage.

It's not an Eldrazi. It's an Artifact Creature - Construct that they relabeled because they were completely creatively bankrupt when it came to Eldrazi in this set.

I'm already good to leave Zendikar, thx.

Standard is still gonna be Tarkir dominated, with some cute Origins decks and whatever small utility we can salvage from BfZ.

Yeah, I'm just going to focus on making my Kiora deck and forget Eldrazi are even a thing. I hate most of their art and they're all super bland.

Kiora is gonna go straight into my bant deck

Yeah I'm getting more interested in Limited, but what the fuck is this set going to do for Standard?

exchange their current theros cards with BfZ equivalents and call it a day the Khans block is so strong, I'm so sad I bought so little of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't get the folks crying about power level and what standard is going to look like when not even close to half the set is revealed. It takes just a handful of cards to shape and alter what a meta looks like.

Angry Grimace

I really don't get the folks crying about power level and what standard is going to look like when not even close to half the set is revealed. It takes just a handful of cards to shape and alter what a meta looks like.

There's only like 15 rares unspoiled and like 3 Mythics. It isn't going to magically get better.

The problem isn't power, its that the design is all over the map. Theros, power-level aside, had an interesting design going on. This doesn't.

kirblar

Most of the rares are revealed, and people have not been "crying" over power level- they've been calling out a shit set design (this has 0 to do with power level.)

Stealing that Endless One.

Stasis Snare is probably my favourite card of the set so far.

There's still a planeswalker left and Ob Nixilis looks pretty strong.

Thing is what is esper dragons gonna do to replace Ashiok? He was their best answer to Abzan Aggro after all.

kirblar

Before I wrap up for today, I do want to answer one pressing question. A recurring theme you'll see through this and last week's articles is how often things were changed in development. Spawn turned into Scions. Ingest and Processors were made. Awaken became variable. Converge was added. Why such an excess of changes in development?

The answer is that we decided to swap from the three-set block model to a two-set block model in the middle of the design of Battle for Zendikar. During most of that time, Standard rotation hadn't changed—so we were trying to figure out how to keep Standard from increasing in complexity, and the only answer at the time seemed to be bringing down the complexity of each individual set. That meant I was trying to solve a very complex problem while keeping one hand tied behind my back, and the result is that the set didn't get handed over as complete as I would have liked.

Erik and his development team stepped up though, and did amazing work finishing off the design and turning it into the exciting set you all are going to get to play very soon. Also, with the rotation changing in Standard from two years to eighteen months, that meant that not only did we not have to go down in complexity per set, but we could even go up a little.
I am very, very curious how much of this answer is showman Mark.

Converge needing to be added points to the design issues- "Colorlessness" is only a defintion of the Eldrazi, it doesn't define WHAT they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom