• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am very, very curious how much of this answer is showman Mark.

Converge needing to be added points to the design issues- "Colorlessness" is only a defintion of the Eldrazi, it doesn't define WHAT they are.

Yup it definitely feels like they were undercooked. The colorlessness just acts as a "build around" identity, its actually shockingly regressive so far, its basically just the old "X matters" school of design

The word haste on a white/blue creature doesn't sit well with me. Why does it need haste anyway? You have multiple lands. You're not going to animate the land you just played (though I have done this before online).
Well it's basically awaken on an ally, they just copy pasted the effect on an ally triggered effect is all

The Technomancer

The word haste on a white/blue creature doesn't sit well with me. Why does it need haste anyway? You have multiple lands. You're not going to animate the land you just played (though I have done this before online).

Does this have a place somewhere actually? Stapling a 3/3 body to all of your spells seems pretty good

It's to make it the same as Awaken.

And it has Haste for exactly the reason you pointed out: so you don't accidentally grab the wrong land and awaken a summoning sick land. It just makes it play out the way it "should" all the time.

DrArchon

Also cards are up
en_aQONwNwJYW.png

OK, I've been lurking this thread since the start of set spoiler, but why the hell is this card White? Nothing about it screams White to me. Activating off of instant and sorceries is Blue, but animating lands is Green and haste is Red. And does nearly every non-Eldrazi have to be an Ally now?

OnPoint

OK, I've been lurking this thread since the start of set spoiler, but why the hell is this card White? Nothing about it screams White to me. Activating off of instant and sorceries is Blue, but animating lands is Green and haste is Red. And does nearly every non-Eldrazi have to be an Ally now?

This card is a disaster of the worst kind. It doesn't fit the colors it has and it's actually not really that great in my opinion. I wouldn't even want it in Commander. It's like one of those card auto-generator programs made it.

This card is a disaster of the worst kind. It doesn't fit the colors it has and it's actually not really that great in my opinion. I wouldn't even want it in Commander. It's like one of those card auto-generator programs made it.

I actually think it's kind of a cool design for EDH, although not very good.

Also I don't understand why it's white either.

To kirblar's point: I wonder how much smoke Maro is blowing right now. However, I could definitely see how moving from a three-set model to a two-set model in the middle of doing set design would be disruptive. However, I don't see why you would let it be disruptive and not just put it off for another year while you finished up what you were currently working on.

traveler

Not Wario
0228_MTGBFZ_EN_HRR.png

Inevitable but solid. Best ally card for allies in the set.

Now wheres the 5 color legend? I wouldn't even run most of the ally legends revealed thus far in my allies edh deck.

I actually think it's kind of a cool design for EDH, although not very good.

Also I don't understand why it's white either.

To kirblar's point: I wonder how much smoke Maro is blowing right now. However, I could definitely see how moving from a three-set model to a two-set model in the middle of doing set design would be disruptive. However, I don't see why you would let it be disruptive and not just put it off for another year while you finished up what you were currently working on.

But with the amount of boardwipe you're just gonna end up thinning your landbase in commander and you can't even play the BW god

0228_MTGBFZ_EN_HRR.png

Inevitable but solid. Best ally card for allies in the set.

Now wheres the 5 color legend? I wouldn't even run most of the ally legends revealed thus far in my allies edh deck.
That looks pretty good. There's tons of allies. Won't work for converge though I guess <_<

alternade

I want to say its a control finisher? Throw it down, counter some stuff, draw some cards and boom, you have 3-4 3/3s. Only problem is that you can never wrath the board if things go astray.

White interacts with land as secondary trait(land tax, knight of the white orchid) Haste being on it is probably just a reminder for players that it can attack once "awoke"

Firemind

I want to say its a control finisher? Throw it down, counter some stuff, draw some cards and boom, you have 3-4 3/3s. Only problem is that you can never wrath the board if things go astray.

White interacts with land as secondary trait(land tax, knight of the white orchid) Haste being on it is probably just a reminder for players that it can attack once "awoke"
Why not just play Talrand in that case? It's not like white has decent cantrips and 2/2 drakes > 3/3 hill giants that tie up your mana.

As for Standard purposes, lolno. It has the same mana cost as Ojutai and it doesn't even attack through Siege Rhino.

DrArchon

I can't see this dude being great in Commander. If you want a man-land army you go Green to shit out as many lands as you can. If you want WU Merfolk, Sygg, River Guide exists and is way better. And you want Allies, then you need a 5-color one to get the most out of them (which they really need to make so Allies in Commander is an actual thing).

He'll be fine in limited as long as there are enough good cheap spells for him to use.

Image.ashx

Jhriad

http://media.wizards.com/2015/bfz_8asdifk2Sk2cs/en_SUAJo8p10K.png
http://magicblogs.de/news/files/2015/09/Schmerzhafte-Wahrheit.png

Painful Truth 2B
Sorcery
Converge - Draw X cards and lose X life, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast Painful Truths.

I was hoping the last they were holding some big drops for the last few rares and mythics. Those are some bulk rares if ever I've seen one. This set...

This set is unsaveable, I think. Looks like garbage.

FULL ART LANDS!!!!11

Theros had Thoughtseize. BFZ has ???

Lottery tickets

alternade

Why not just play Talrand in that case? It's not like white has decent cantrips and 2/2 drakes > 3/3 hill giants that tie up your mana.

As for Standard purposes, lolno. It has the same mana cost as Ojutai and it doesn't even attack through Siege Rhino.

I thought we were discussing Standard otherwise DUH of course you play Talrand if you want this effect

Weird, I thought this would get more attention
Before I wrap up for today, I do want to answer one pressing question. A recurring theme you'll see through this and last week's articles is how often things were changed in development. Spawn turned into Scions. Ingest and Processors were made. Awaken became variable. Converge was added. Why such an excess of changes in development?

The answer is that we decided to swap from the three-set block model to a two-set block model in the middle of the design of Battle for Zendikar. During most of that time, Standard rotation hadn't changed&#8212;so we were trying to figure out how to keep Standard from increasing in complexity, and the only answer at the time seemed to be bringing down the complexity of each individual set. That meant I was trying to solve a very complex problem while keeping one hand tied behind my back, and the result is that the set didn't get handed over as complete as I would have liked.

Erik and his development team stepped up though, and did amazing work finishing off the design and turning it into the exciting set you all are going to get to play very soon. Also, with the rotation changing in Standard from two years to eighteen months, that meant that not only did we not have to go down in complexity per set, but we could even go up a little.

When the two-set block model was presented to us, I imagine a lot of us assumed that there was little time between the decision to go with it and the decision to shorten Standard, but in fact, it seems like there was a great deal of time between the two, enough for the set to go through design with the goal of keeping Standard simple. MaRo's statement doesn't specify how much time the set spent in development before Standard was shortened, but if most of BFZ's time in development still had the goal of keeping Standard simple, then that would do a great deal in explaining why the rares are the way they are. The goal was literally not to have a big influence on Constructed.

This does also mean that this set doesn't necessarily reflect anything about the game's future. In fact, Oath of the Gatewatch likely could have more Constructed cards.

Urgh on the one hand I want to buy as much as my budget allows for a chance at expeditions but on the other hand there's like 3 cards I actually want so far.

2 fat packs minimum though for the lands.

By the way, I will say I absolutely love how Crumble to Dust looks, with the name even relating to how all the color fades away as you go down.
0128_MTGBFZ_EN_HRR.png

I'm surprised by so many people asking why it has devoid. It's meant to signify that it's flavorfully an Eldrazi related spell.

Concerning why Noyan Dar is white, turning a land into a dude is similar to getting a dude token, and while it's a bit of a stretch, I think it's perfectly fine when you don't want green to be the only color animating lands, just like how red got more graveyard stuff in Innistrad, or white getting manifest in Fate Reforged for that matter. Anyway, I think his card is pretty neat. You can cast a counterspell and still either get a dude or boost one.
en_aQONwNwJYW.png

Firemind

I'm also against big and beefy merfolk. I know they have lords and stuff, but that can be explained by strength in numbers. This merfolk isn't a lord and it's 4/4. Same size as Savage Knuckleblade and Stormbreath Dragon! I'm the kind of person who thinks it's weird to have Tasigur be 4/5. Look at his size compared to Silumgar in Dragonlord's art! Are you saying Tasigur can fight with non-elder Silumgar and survive? I'm aware power and toughness doesn't necessarily translate into physicality, but that's just wack, son.

The Technomancer

I'm also against big and beefy merfolk. I know they have lords and stuff, but that can be explained by strength in numbers. This merfolk isn't a lord and it's 4/4. Same size as Savage Knuckleblade and Stormbreath Dragon! I'm the kind of person who thinks it's weird to have Tasigur be 4/5. Look at his size compared to Silumgar in Dragonlord's art! Are you saying Tasigur can fight with non-elder Silumgar and survive? I'm aware power and toughness doesn't necessarily translate into physicality, but that's just wack, son.

This bugs me too, but its been a pretty clear shift in the last five years or so, almost always on Legendary creatures

Also put me in camp pro-cups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom