• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legends is like 18 years old and Kamigawa got screwed on multiple levels due to its Legendary theme. Look at how Teysa's stats changed between Ravnica and Return, or the numbers on like all of the Weatherlight crew

I just searched for power 4 or greater on legendaries and got a pic from the last page sorted by editions and somewhere in the last 3rd there were plenty more

and in regards to merfolk, stands to argue that they are a crew though

101.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178752395]Most people would have. It's objectively the most popular Zendikar Island.

I mean, look at their picks for the reprint cycle, it's like 1/5 for good choices:

drafttzy1c.png
[/QUOTE]
Swamp, Mountain and Plains are all either ny first or second pick. Forest us the only real one I wish was different

Crocodile

So basically the swap to the new block size and rotation system damaged development of this set? Fantastic :/

I actually think it's kind of a cool design for EDH, although not very good.

Also I don't understand why it's white either.

To kirblar's point: I wonder how much smoke Maro is blowing right now. However, I could definitely see how moving from a three-set model to a two-set model in the middle of doing set design would be disruptive. However, I don't see why you would let it be disruptive and not just put it off for another year while you finished up what you were currently working on.

I've never seen WOTC miss a deadline for ANYTHING. Not a lot of businesses can claim the same. What likely happened was that they just couldn't justify moving the BFZ block (since that would impact the design of other nearby blocks) or redoing whole swathes of the design and still make their deadlines with confidence :/

I'm also against big and beefy merfolk. I know they have lords and stuff, but that can be explained by strength in numbers. This merfolk isn't a lord and it's 4/4. Same size as Savage Knuckleblade and Stormbreath Dragon! I'm the kind of person who thinks it's weird to have Tasigur be 4/5. Look at his size compared to Silumgar in Dragonlord's art! Are you saying Tasigur can fight with non-elder Silumgar and survive? I'm aware power and toughness doesn't necessarily translate into physicality, but that's just wack, son.

This bugs me too, but its been a pretty clear shift in the last five years or so, almost always on Legendary creatures

Also put me in camp pro-cups

Gameplay > Flavor. You can't have humans that cost 5+ mana all be 2/2s.

Adaren

Swamp, Mountain and Plains are all either ny first or second pick. Forest us the only real one I wish was different

New Magic player who wasn't around during the original Zendikar, but I think all of the reprint lands look fantastic with the possible exception of Forest. Forest got a little better when I noticed the cool pyramid near the bottom, but it isn't quit as awe-inspiring as the others.

The issue might really be that pretty much all of the lands from the old Zendikar are great, so there's little consensus on which one is the best.

kirblar

I actually think it's kind of a cool design for EDH, although not very good.

Also I don't understand why it's white either.

To kirblar's point: I wonder how much smoke Maro is blowing right now. However, I could definitely see how moving from a three-set model to a two-set model in the middle of doing set design would be disruptive. However, I don't see why you would let it be disruptive and not just put it off for another year while you finished up what you were currently working on.
You can't move it.

The problem with the Eldrazi go beyond basic mechanical issues and go to a core misunderstanding of what they should evoke.

You can't move it.

The problem with the Eldrazi go beyond basic mechanical issues and go to a core misunderstanding of what they should evoke.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding Maro's article, but it sounds like they were partially through design for this set when they decided to change to a 2-set model. Why wouldn't you put that transition off until before you were starting the next fall set?

kirblar

Unless Rosewater isn't bullshitting and he actually thinks vanilla 10/10s inspire dread
Oh, there's enough defensiveness in his answers regarding them that I think this is absolutely the case.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding Maro's article, but it sounds like they were partially through design for this set when they decided to change to a 2-set model. Why wouldn't you put that transition off until before you were starting the next fall set?
Because the core sets have not been selling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

They may also have been running into pre-planning issues with making BFZ work as a three set block, plus who knows what pressure there was from on high

Firemind

Gameplay > Flavor. You can't have humans that cost 5+ mana all be 2/2s.
I'm not advocating humans or similar humanoid species be small all the time. Look at Kamahl, Pit Fighter. He's 6/1 which is awesome and flavourful because he's a barbarian with a big ass sword.

This merfolk though is just a scrawny wizard slash terraformer. Same with Tasigur, basically. I mean, what did he exactly do that can be considered as impressive? At least someone like Arcanis is badass because he's omnipotent and a pit fighter.

Combining both Zendikar sets these are my favorite full-arts:

draftm3uzg.png

I can't stand the desaturated Jung Park lands. Full arts should be bright and easily visible.

Also, I just realized how much better the new frame is for the basics. Very Medieval, nice classic feel.

66082023218875304217qsrc.jpg

It's almost shocking how poor a choice pinching the bottom is in retrospect. Makes the land feel less weighty.

The Noah Bradley Swamp might be my new favorite full art of all time. It's composed for the frame so well.

Socat

I'm not advocating humans or similar humanoid species be small all the time. Look at Kamahl, Pit Fighter. He's 6/1 which is awesome and flavourful because he's a barbarian with a big ass sword.

This merfolk though is just a scrawny wizard slash terraformer. Same with Tasigur, basically. I mean, what did he exactly do that can be considered as impressive? At least someone like Arcanis is badass because he's omnipotent and a pit fighter.

Tasigur was powerful in a more political sense

Violet_0

Banned
Ooooh those by Sam Burley look pretty damn good.
agreed, the forest and mountain look pretty interchangable though (but still the best of the bunch)
About a year and a half ago, he posted this to Reddit. It's currently the third highest upvoted post of all time over there, and was number one for a while.

He was banned by WotC for 18 months for reasons.
dayum, this is embarrassing pull up your pants people

Reishiki

Banned
He went around a game store and took pictures of everyone who had exposed buttcrack while they were sitting, and proceeded to put them on Reddit. This was considered bullying, so he was banned for a while.

About a year and a half ago, he posted this to Reddit. It's currently the third highest upvoted post of all time over there, and was number one for a while.

He was banned by WotC for 18 months for reasons.

Oh, that guy.

DrArchon

Sanctum looks fine for EDH, but isn't it a bit weird that it's clearly built to work with Eldrazi? Shouldn't it work against them? Like fetching creatures in response to an opponent playing a 7 mana spell, or get colored creatures?

I'll put it in Animar to fetch various colossi, but I'm not happy about it.

jph139

Ugin has always been positioned as having a "we should study them, not destroy them!" approach to the Eldrazi, so it makes a decent amount of sense.

sgjackson

i don't really remember people being this down on a set before it came out (played since new phyrexia on and off, might have missed something). has any other set previewed this poorly?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The entire concept of BFZ seems like it would be cool in an open world video game.

And not particularly cool as a set of cards

duxstar

i don't really remember people being this down on a set before it came out (played since new phyrexia on and off, might have missed something). has any other set previewed this poorly?

In my time not really, can't remember how M15 previewed but that's kind of expected out of a core set, and even then we had Nissa.

I've only been around since Theros, and had no idea how that previewed; Born of the God's for a small set had some really strong/constructed staple cards; Courser of Kruphix, and Brimaz off of the top of my head, but I thought there were a few more, and Journey brought with it a G/W planeswalker and the new gods.

I remember being pretty pumped for Khans, and the fetchlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom