• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The remaining Blighted lands appear to have been spoiled (leaked?).

Blighted Gorge: 4R, T, sac: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Blighted Steppe: 3W, T, sac: Gain 2 life for each creature you control.
Blighted Woodland: 3G, T, sac: Search your library for two basic lands and put them on the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.

Looks like I still don't have a great white utility land for my cube, but if the spoilers hold true, I have a really good black one.

Lucario

One of the admins from MTGS apparently got the rest of the uncommon land cycle leaked to them.

Blighted Fen
Land - U
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
4B, T, Sacrifice {card name}: Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
230/274

Blighted Steppe
T: 1 colourless
3W,T: Sac gain 2 life for each creature you control.

Blighted Gorge
T: 1 Colourless
4R,T: sac Deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Blighted Woodland
T: 1 Colourless
3G,T: Sac Search library for up to two basics and put them into play tapped.

Black one seems great. Rest seem bad.

edit: damn it firemined

El Topo

It looks like the kind of thing I want to make work in Limited as a Landfall archtype

That's about all I can think of. It's good for that, I guess, although Myriad Landscape would've been nicer. Probably still more useful than the white one anyway.
Then again, it is nice for triggering Landfall, so I can't complain too much. Calling it garbage was unfair.

Of course the white one would simply be a life gain trap card instead of anything even vaguely interesting or useful. I mean, the red and green ones are bad too, but at least they do something.

ultron87

Of course the white one would simply be a life gain trap card instead of anything even vaguely interesting or useful. I mean, the red and green ones are bad too, but at least they do something.

It isn't a trap though. A life gain card is totally playable when all you are giving up is a colorless mana instead of a white mana.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, being able to make an opponent sac a guy at instant speed without losing a card is pretty good in limited. I'm cool with those lands. Nice, clean effects.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The white one looks priced just right to be playable. 4W would be unplayable even in limited I think, but at 3W on that ability getting 6 life in a tight game seems worth it

Wait is there not a blue one?

Yup. Incidental lifegain is fine.
Man, I can't decide if I want the lifegain land or Foundry of the Consuls in my Mardu tokens build. I don't think I can run that many colorless lands in a 3 color aggro deck. Probably Foundry.
Also remember what I said , keep an eye out on the creatures that can block and trade with the new eldrazi to see which cards might be playable in standard.

5/7 blocks and trades with most of the rare eldrazi, its part of the reason I think Siege Rhino will see less play. In a world of 4/4s a 4/5 was king, in a world of 5/5s oblivion Sower, this guy , ulamog etc are the top dogs now

Rhino only costs 4 mana though...

It isn't a trap though. A life gain card is totally playable when all you are giving up is a colorless mana instead of a white mana.

I admit that I'm overstating things a bit, given that you'd activate it when you have the spare mana later in the game and don't need the colourless it produces anymore, but it's just so unexciting and I'd argue it's easily the worst of the bunch. Blue and black are high interest in Limited, green might be, red is kinda eh but still quite workable, and this is "Well, there are no better options".

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
c8rbcD2.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Imagine how much an uncut sheet of that would go for.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This deck (Naya Zoo) is the most vanilla Modern deck ever, but I've been winning quite a bit with it.

4 Wild Nacatl
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Birds of Paradise
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Qasali Pridemage
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Loxodon Smiter

4 Path to Exile
3 Collected Company
4 Lightning Bolt

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
2 Temple Garden
2 Stomping Ground
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Plains
1 Mountain
2 Forest
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Flooded Strand

SB:

1 Blood Moon
3 Kor Firewalker
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Stony Silence
2 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Choke
2 Hallowed Moonlight (lol I'm not buying more Blood Moons)

I really want to just stick an Ajani Vengeant in, but I already know its a terrible idea.

Socat

This deck (Naya Zoo) is the most vanilla Modern deck ever, but I've been winning quite a bit with it.

I really want to just stick an Ajani Vengeant in, but I already know its a terrible idea.

Im running something quite similar, but with 3 Voice of Resurgence, taking out one Pridemage, Knight, and Smiter from your posted list. I might sub out a Ooze for the last Knight since they are a bigger beatdown.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You would think that Voice of Resurgence is obviously better than Qasali Pridemage and even Loxodon Smiter, but somehow they just work better, I don't know why other than there's usually a good target for Pridemage's sac ability in Game 1.

Socat

You would think that Voice of Resurgence is obviously better than Qasali Pridemage and even Loxodon Smiter, but somehow they just work better, I don't know why other than there's usually a good target for Pridemage's sac ability in Game 1.

It's only better in a removal heavy environment like my local meta is, and since we dont have any affinity or tron players regularly, 2 PM's usually are adequate

Angry Grimace

I keep trying to make a Sultai deck, but its pretty awkward without something like Mulch, Grisly Salvage, etc.

4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Den Protector
4 Deathmist Raptor
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Hangarback Walker

3 Kiora, Master of the Depths

2 Sultai Charm
3 Dig Through Time
3 Ruinous Path
2 Languish
2 Ultimate Price

4 Opulent Palace
3 Lumbering Falls
3 Llanowar Wastes
4 Polluted Delta
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Blighted Fen
1 Mortuary Mire
3 Sunken Hollow
2 Forest
1 Yavimaya Coast

Is it that surprising? Pridemage deals more damage and has utility against non-blue decks.

Well, Voice's trigger and dies trigger are just really powerful so I think in a vacuum it seems a lot more powerful.

duxstar

So tomorrow after the set gets fully released I'll probably be on trice all day brewing and playing drafts if anyone else wants to leave their trice name here

Results of new world poll on Blogatog
Thanks to Brian Ross, we have a tabulation of what new worlds players would like to see. Here are the top 30 results: (Note: a number of these obviously overlap so there is plenty of argument about what exactly was the top response.)

1. Egypt
2. Pirate
3. Norse
4. Kaladesh
5. Dinosaur
6. Viking
7. Muraganda
8. Steampunk
9. Vryn
10. Wild West

11. Mesoamerica
12. Prehistoric
13. Water
14. Native America
15. Subterranean
16. Africa
17. Arthurian
18. High Fantasy
19. Fairy Tale
20. Winter

21. Pyrulea
22. Noir
23. Multi-plane
24. Japan
25. Rome
26. Dream
27. Sky
28. Prison
29. India
30. Celtic

I didn't know about Pyrulea. That place is neat.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fairy tale world being down so low isn't surprising - people like their grimdark bad things war time, after all - but it is sad.

Firemind

I mean

This doesn't really help its chances does it?

Kamigawa has ninjas, samurais and spirits.

What else are you going to have in mythical Japan?

Angry Grimace

Dinosaurs should be No. 1 on that list because they are rad as fuck. It would be criminal to not have Evolve in that set also.

duxstar

No idea how Egypt was #1 , have no clue how to do a pirate world.

My choices are near the bottom on the list

Winter World
Fairy Tale
And Norse in that order with maybe Dinosaurs sounding cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom