• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

Egypt huh? I'd rather see fairy world. It would be nice to see some lighter side of fantasy every once in awhile. Also didn't know that about Pyrulea.
It will probably lean more towards the original tone of fairy tales

I guess you think you know this story.
You don’t. The real one’s much more gory.
The phony one, the one you know,
Was cooked up years and years ago,
And made to sound all soft and sappy
Just to keep the children happy

Matriox

rip kamigawa

Not sure how conclusive it was, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Maro polled returning worlds and Kamigawa was in the top 5.

It will probably lean more towards the original tone of fairy tales

I guess you think you know this story.
You don’t. The real one’s much more gory.
The phony one, the one you know,
Was cooked up years and years ago,
And made to sound all soft and sappy
Just to keep the children happy

images.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pirate world is wicked easy. Each color is a pirate band that hails from a corner of the land.

White = Royal navy type sailing outfit
Black= Selfish, greedy pirates in it for the loot
Red = Band of roving marauders wreaking havoc along the coastlines after being forced from their homes.
Green = Sailors whose primary mission is the colonization of the world, bringing animals and plantlife to new areas
Blue = the greatest explorers. They sail the high seas to see what is out there.

They're hunting down a mythical treasure that is said to hold the key to new worlds. Turns out it's a planeswalker that warped in (Nahiri?) in search of something by ended up trapped/captured/put to sleep by a massive underwater leviathan . The battle in the final set is the pirate crews banding together (somewhat, but each with their own agenda) to prevent the leviathan from ripping out the planeswalker's spark. Early set PW would be X the Shackled, last set would be X, Unfettered.

Matriox

Pirate world is wicked easy. Each color is a pirate band that hails from a corner of the land.

Red = Band of roving marauders wreaking havoc along the coastlines after being forced from their homes.
Green = Sailors whose primary mission is the colonization of the world, bringing animals and plantlife to new areas
Blue = the greatest explorers. They sail the high seas to see what is out there.

They're hunting down a mythical treasure that is said to hold the key to new worlds. Turns out it's a planeswalker that warped in (Nahiri?) in search of something by ended up trapped/captured/put to sleep by a massive underwater leviathan . The battle in the final set is the pirate crews banding together (somewhat, but each with their own agenda) to prevent the leviathan from ripping out the planeswalker's spark. Early set PW would be X the Shackled, last set would be X, Unfettered.

Monkey D. Luffy better be a planeswalker.

Red = Band of roving marauders wreaking havoc in search of One Piece

They're hunting down a mythical treasure that is said to hold the key to the New World. Turns out it's a planeswalker that warped in (Nahiri?) in search of something by ended up trapped/captured/put to sleep by a massive underwater leviathan . The battle in the final set is the pirate crews banding together (somewhat, but each with their own agenda) under Luffy to prevent the leviathan from ripping out the planeswalker's spark. Early set PW would be X the Shackled, last set would be X D. Unfettered.

Fixed.

I can't wait for BfZ to come out just so that there are more draft videos to watch. It's a wasteland out there. I don't like everyone, but I do like the usual suspects (LSV, Cheon, Kenji, Marshall, etc.) and they're doing almost zero lately. I don't really care for the constructed vids, but I'll watch 'em. It's all Modern, though, which I double don't care for.

hort

Neo Member

Introducing banding as the new evergreen keyword.

DrArchon

Egypt block sounds cool. It's about time we have another African themed block and there's always been a disturbing shortage of mummies in MTG.

ultron87

Not sure how conclusive it was, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Maro polled returning worlds and Kamigawa was in the top 5.

There really aren't a ton more viable returning planes they could use than 5. Like, if you cut the recent blocks all that is left is Mirrodin, Kamigawa, Dominaria, Alara, Lorywn and Innistrad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are three cards already from Muraganda, actually

338445.full.jpg

Image.ashx

Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
fairy tale block entirely designed by rebecca guay or bust

She moved on to gallery art. Luckily, the new art reprint policy means they're going to keep reusing her art from now until we all die.

I can't wait for BfZ to come out just so that there are more draft videos to watch. It's a wasteland out there. I don't like everyone, but I do like the usual suspects (LSV, Cheon, Kenji, Marshall, etc.) and they're doing almost zero lately. I don't really care for the constructed vids, but I'll watch 'em. It's all Modern, though, which I double don't care for.

That's because Magic Origins is a sucky draft format.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get a card like this:

Wish from Beyond - (3)
Sorcery
You may choose a card you own from outside the game with banding, cumulative upkeep, fading, phasing, or rampage. Reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Exile Wish from Beyond.

(earlier name: Ancient Wish)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't wait for MTG's take on egyptian god cards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Best selling manga, yah. Lol I don't watch anime/read manga, but for whatever reason "Pirate" always makes me think One Piece.

Anime is just beyond me. Like a good nerd, I've attempted several times, but it's not for me. This is a prime example. I think "pirate" I think goons pillaging a village, burying treasure, healing wounds with gunpowder and uncorking bottles of rum with blackened teeth. Not Plastic Man with a funny hat.

No offense to any One Piece (Luffians?) fans.

Anime is just beyond me. Like a good nerd, I've attempted several times, but it's not for me. This is a prime example. I think "pirate" I think goons pillaging a village, burying treasure, healing wounds with gunpowder and uncorking bottles of rum with blackened teeth. Not Plastic Man with a funny hat.

mp8sCk8.png

Matriox

Same page as me. I liked DBZ growing up, and I saw some random anime's on adult swim/toonami, but it never really stuck with me.

WTF am I looking at...

Crocodile

You basically run them all in an on-color Limited deck. Any of those effects for not costing a card are wonderful.

Yep. Unless you are all in on the Converge archetype and need all your lands to fix mana (though the Blighted Green land helps in this regard) these are all super playable.

I had to google what the fuck a Luffy is. Is that a popular animu or something?

One of the most popular anime in Japan and the World (except America ironically enough). Get read scrub :p

They should make the pirate plane based on The Pirates of Black Water.

Such a shame how that show went out :(

kirblar

Try Attack on Titan.

It does a lot of what this set should have been doing. (And should have been an insanely obvious reference point.)

Anime like DBZ/One Piece are defintely not for everyone. (I'm not into them either.)

Crocodile

Try Attack on Titan.

It does a lot of what this set should have been doing. (And should have been an insanely obvious reference point.)

Anime like DBZ/One Piece are definitely not for everyone. (I'm not into them either.)

Considering how popular DBZ and One Piece are worldwide (and DBZ in the states) those properties are way more for "everybody" than most anime/manga or even many western cartoons/comics. Like I'm not sure you understand how big those properties are even if they aren't your personal taste.

kirblar

Considering how popular DBZ and One Piece are worldwide (and DBZ in the states) those properties are way more for "everybody" than most anime/manga or even many western cartoons/comics. Like I'm not sure you understand how big those properties are even if they aren't your personal taste.
A) DBZ is huge, but it's also not as relevant to kids today as it was to us growing up with the '90s.

B) One Piece is huge, but my experience is that it's huge among manga/anime fans, but not to the mainstream extent that DBZ got

I don't understand how you read my statement that way though- I was just recommending AoT (which has gotten pretty mainstream due to Netflix) to WW, who doesn't like a few series that I also don't like.

y2dvd

Also remember what I said , keep an eye out on the creatures that can block and trade with the new eldrazi to see which cards might be playable in standard.

5/7 blocks and trades with most of the rare eldrazi, its part of the reason I think Siege Rhino will see less play. In a world of 4/4s a 4/5 was king, in a world of 5/5s oblivion Sower, this guy , ulamog etc are the top dogs now

That's not a good assessment to make towards Siege Rhino. SR is huge at 4cmc and has an immediate impact on etb. There are a plenty of current bigger creatures in rotation at 6cmc but it didn't stop SR from being played. SR ain't going anywhere.

Angry Grimace

None of the Eldrazi in this set are even vaguely comparable to Siege Rhino.

That probably extends to Rise of the Eldrazi, really.

OnPoint

I didn't realize how much I would like a pirate set until Wandering Wind laid it all out. It would be such a good fit.

This is off topic but since I don't know how many of you venture into the Gaming side: I'm a dev and we have a giveaway going on over there for my game. If any of you were interested in playing it, I'm handing codes out. Y'all have kind of become my first family on GAF, so I'd definitely like to include you guys.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113704

Has there been a set that had over 100 cards to be revealed by the end of spoiler week?

Number crunch: 23/101C 31/80U 51/53R 14/15M

Anyway, for a new Japan world, I imagine it would basically be Naruto. People already say the ninjas in it are wizards anyway. I still feel like they could easily get away with calling that "Return to Kamigawa", though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom