• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

I didn't realize how much I would like a pirate set until Wandering Wind laid it all out. It would be such a good fit.

This is off topic but since I don't know how many of you venture into the Gaming side: I'm a dev and we have a giveaway going on over there for my game. If any of you were interested in playing it, I'm handing codes out. Y'all have kind of become my first family on GAF, so I'd definitely like to include you guys.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113704

Very cool man, color me interested!

the commons and uncommons in this set must be AMAZING

The lands are at least :p

None of the Eldrazi in this set are even vaguely comparable to Siege Rhino.

That probably extends to Rise of the Eldrazi, really.

I don't think Siege Rhino even caught on at first. I heard a lot of people saying "Why bother with this when Polukranos trumps it and is only one color?"

My point is that we don't know how anything in this set is going to stack up in Standard.

I will say that Parting the Waterveil seems like a possible lynchpin. I've also heard that Ulamog is insane. Oblivion Sower has a lot of potential too. Drana seems really good.

If you're specifically talking about the 4cc creature slot, the Converge elephant that can be a 6/6 vigiliance trample for 4 mana could get there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Siege Rhino even caught on at first. I heard a lot of people saying "Why bother with this when Polukranos trumps it and is only one color?"

My point is that we don't know how anything in this set is going to stack up in Standard.

I will say that Parting the Waterveil seems like a possible lynchpin. I've also heard that Ulamog is insane. Oblivion Sower has a lot of potential too. Drana seems really good.

If you're specifically talking about the 4cc creature slot, the Converge elephant that can be a 6/6 vigiliance trample for 4 mana could get there.
I don't know that I agree.
I remember pre-release being on MTGS in a thread that was centered around building a deck around Siege Rhino (it was called"Junk Midrange.") I think the deck at that point was something like:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
3 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Siege Rhino
2 Wingmate Roc

2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

(Land)

I played the deck at the first FNM after I got the cards and went like 4-1. Ari Lax won a PT with a really similar deck a couple weeks later.

I think I even posted this version in OT3 pre-KTK release.

Hell, even I was playing junk midrange with rhinos elspeths and ajani right around when the full spoiler dropped. A week or so into release I swapped to abzan whip.

There were some sticklers for polyk for sure, but they changed their minds pretty quick.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179174378]Hell, even I was playing junk midrange with rhinos elspeths and ajani right around when the full spoiler dropped. A week or so into release I swapped to abzan whip.

There were some sticklers for polyk for sure, but they changed their minds pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we had a big multi-page debate about whether Elvish Mystic is good in Junk midrange (I was advocating hard for the only 1 drop to be Thoughtseize). I don't think Siege Rhino being dumb good flew under the radar because at the time WBG just had the best cards in general with Rhino, Anafenza, Courser, Elspeth.

I'm probably just gonna run Dranathopter unless and until it proves to be too shitty to win matches.

Crocodile

A) DBZ is huge, but it's also not as relevant to kids today as it was to us growing up with the '90s.

B) One Piece is huge, but my experience is that it's huge among manga/anime fans, but not to the mainstream extent that DBZ got

I don't understand how you read my statement that way though- I was just recommending AoT (which has gotten pretty mainstream due to Netflix) to WW, who doesn't like a few series that I also don't like.

Yeah as a recommendation I think what you said makes sense (I think AoT is super overrated but doesn't change the fact that its appealing to a lot of people who don't tend to watch a lot of anime). I think I may have misread your initial proclamation of "not for everybody" as "niche" (when both shows are still more popular and well known than AoT) when you're just stating a fact - "not everything appeals to everybody".

As an aside, I'd argue Dragon Ball is undergoing a renaissance right now though I'd agree it doesn't have the ironclad grip on children now as it did in the past solely due to the delivery method and how the TV landscape has changed.

Angry Grimace

Cycle of 5 Legendary creature DFCs: Sailor Dominaria, Sailor Kamigawa, Sailor Ravnica, Sailor Zendikar, Sailor Mirrodin

Bandini

Sire of Stagnation reminds me of Consecrated Sphinx. Will definitely be working on some control builds in the next couple days.

Sire of Stagnation reminds me of Consecrated Sphinx. Will definitely be working on some control builds in the next couple days.

The issue in 1v1 is that your opponent can just choose to hold off playing lands, which won't be too terrible for him or her if that player has five or six lands out, and if he or she needs another land to cast a spell before he or she can destroy the Sire, then that player can risk you drawing two cards once.

With Consecrated Sphinx, your opponent can't choose not to draw a card, so you benefit no matter what.

Mind, Sire is still great in Commander, and not quite as obnoxious as the Sphinx.

Has there been a set that had over 100 cards to be revealed by the end of spoiler week?

Number crunch: 23/101C 31/80U 51/53R 14/15M

Anyway, for a new Japan world, I imagine it would basically be Naruto. People already say the ninjas in it are wizards anyway. I still feel like they could easily get away with calling that "Return to Kamigawa", though.

This is something me and mine have noticed. I distinctly remember Boros Reckoner being among less than 10 cards that were spoiled by the time Gatecrash was done spoiler week. Or something like that.

Really, the whole process has been strangely bungled, imo. Not doing any spoilers at SDCC seems like a huge advertising misstep to me, regardless of launches that were occurring that weekend. It's created this weird backup where A) we don't know half the set and people are kind of eh about it and B) people don't even know commander 2015 is coming. Seriously, 2 months till that! I mentioned it in my group and they had completely forgotten about it or assumed it wasn't happening this year. I find it baffling that we only got acknowledgment about commander after product info had leaked out from vendors.

Firemind

Has there been a set that had over 100 cards to be revealed by the end of spoiler week?

Number crunch: 23/101C 31/80U 51/53R 14/15M

Anyway, for a new Japan world, I imagine it would basically be Naruto. People already say the ninjas in it are wizards anyway. I still feel like they could easily get away with calling that "Return to Kamigawa", though.
giphy.gif

RE: Goblin Guide

So I rebuild my kitchen table artifact ramp deck, which was pretty pointless, into a version more akin to affinity but there are zero restrictions for that table

So not only did I get to use tinker but I could also play all artifact lands. The third match I played Seat of the Synod, ornithopter, 2 mox opals, floated a mana tinkered my thopter and got Darksteel Colossus.

Next turn I drew another tinker and got Cranial plating.

I had a Brainstorm in hand which I never even got to use.

I should take out tinker.

duxstar

Kitchen table magic is just EDH now , I realized the other day I have enough excess cards from just playing since theros to make a 3rd halfway decent edh deck. The problem with edh is I hate losing and know that the deck would be better with x card that is 25 bux and don't want to do it

Went ahead and pulled the plug on finishing my set of Piledrivers at ~$4.50. While I doubt Guide is getting a reprinted, on the slight chance it is, or something similar is spoiled, Piledriver will likely spike, and I don't see them going much lower than $4, honestly.

Went ahead and pulled the plug on finishing my set of Piledrivers at ~$4.50. While I doubt Guide is getting a reprinted, on the slight chance it is, or something similar is spoiled, Piledriver will likely spike, and I don't see them going much lower than $4, honestly.

I did the same thing. I'm skeptical I'll get to play with it any time soon but maybe someday I can play a Goblin deck.

duxstar

There is no final mythic. We have all of them.

I really have no idea how to review these cards. I missed on Den Protector and Hangarback walker along with Jace and Nissa.

My best guesses on just the mythics are

Gideon, Ob Nixilis, Ulamog , Drana, and Greenwarden will all see standard play as 2 ofs at least.

Oblivion Sower, Void Winnower , Quarantine Field , and Undergrowth Champion have a shot of seeing play if an archetype for them shows up.

Sire of stagnation, Dragonmaster outcast , Akoum Firebird, Part the Waterveil , Kiora, and Omnath will be bulk mythics by the end of standard.

The 3 rares I think could breakout that aren't obvious (Ruinous Path, Scatter the winds , Ugins Insight, and Planar outburst seem like no Brainers)

1. From Beyond
2. Woodland Wanderer
3. Smothering Abomination

Wasn't that art supposed to be commissioned for Volcanic Island? I remember reading that somewhere.

Yep. That was the original alpha Volcanic Island, when it came in Garfield designed BoP on the spot to use the art up.

Dinosaurs should be No. 1 on that list because they are rad as fuck. It would be criminal to not have Evolve in that set also.

Evolve first showed up in GDS2 as winner Ethan Fleischer's mechanic for his Dinosaur world so....

No idea how Egypt was #1

Egypt huh?

Egypt haters to the left.

My world that didn't get me through from the round of 100 in GDS2 was Egyptian-themed.... ;_;

Pirate world is wicked easy. Each color is a pirate band that hails from a corner of the land.

I feel like you're real close here. Every time they make a setting like this work it's by drawing heavily on the real-world material, so: make it an archipelago world, so it can be Caribbean themed, lots of different small islands joined together by seas. Put the islands' locals in red and green, merfolk who live in the seas and control krakens and shit blue/black, and then four pirate outfits like you say in red/green/blue/black -- then have white's whole faction be the giant fancy-schmancy navy sailing in from some unknown, distant solid land.

OnPoint

I feel like you're real close here. Every time they make a setting like this work it's by drawing heavily on the real-world material, so: make it an archipelago world, so it can be Caribbean themed, lots of different small islands joined together by seas. Put the islands' locals in red and green, merfolk who live in the seas and control krakens and shit blue/black, and then four pirate outfits like you say in red/green/blue/black -- then have white's whole faction be the giant fancy-schmancy navy sailing in from some unknown, distant solid land.

I would love -- LOVE -- if they did this with white and had them be the bad guys. I'm so sick of Rosewater telling us white and black aren't tied to good and evil respectively on the spectrum then designing them the exact opposite way. A pirate world would be the PERFECT way to do a black hero set and a white villain set. You have the pirates -- the "heroes" -- be the black characters, and the Armada -- the "villains" -- be the law coming in to bust up their adventures and fun.

Angry Grimace

I really have no idea how to review these cards. I missed on Den Protector and Hangarback walker along with Jace and Nissa.

My best guesses on just the mythics are

Gideon, Ob Nixilis, Ulamog , Drana, and Greenwarden will all see standard play as 2 ofs at least.

Oblivion Sower, Void Winnower , Quarantine Field , and Undergrowth Champion have a shot of seeing play if an archetype for them shows up.

Sire of stagnation, Dragonmaster outcast , Akoum Firebird, Part the Waterveil , Kiora, and Omnath will be bulk mythics by the end of standard.

The 3 rares I think could breakout that aren't obvious (Ruinous Path, Scatter the winds , Ugins Insight, and Planar outburst seem like no Brainers)

1. From Beyond
2. Woodland Wanderer
3. Smothering Abomination
Gideon, Kiora and Ob are all Standard playable. Drana is a ~$5-10 card, it depends; not as obviously powerful as Brimaz, but similarly generically good. Lands should all be $5-10 (max). Ulamog will be worth a ton because he has a lot of abilities.

Takuhi

CPKQ59qUAAAj5ds.jpg

Wow, I was not expecting to be impressed with any cards from this cycle, but this is pretty hot.

(From Elaine Chase's twitter)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you managed to put a land into play at instant speed, wouldn't she be able to reanimate herself?

Takuhi

If you managed to put a land into play at instant speed, wouldn't she be able to reanimate herself?

I think she could bring herself back if someone killed her in response to the ability, but if you fetched a plains in response to a kill spell it would resolve before she died, right?

Repeatable reanimation is pretty nice, and it can hit artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers.

Anyway, I suppose this is the time for final predictions. My guesses:

Rockslide - 3R
Sorcery
Destroy target land.
Awaken 3 - 6R

Lava Floor - 2R
Sorcery
Deal 5 damage to target creature without flying.
Awaken 5 - 7R

Rarely Not Awakened - U
Sorcery
Scry 3
Awaken 3 - 4U

Lay Claim - R
Sorcery
Gain control of target land an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that land. It gains haste until end of turn.

Extract Impulse - 2R
Sorcery
Devoid
Exile the top three cards of target opponent's library. Until end of turn, you may play cards exiled this way.

Reprint of Cremate.

And unlikely but it would be neat:

Faulty Summoning - 1R
Instant
Gain control of target creature spell until the end of your next turn. (The creature enters the battlefield under your control. Its owner gains control of it at the end of your next turn.)

y2dvd

CPKQ59qUAAAj5ds.jpg

Wow, I was not expecting to be impressed with any cards from this cycle, but this is pretty hot.

(From Elaine Chase's twitter)

Pricey, but it can cheat in Ulamog for slightly cheaper and any plains triggers it. Might be too expensive to see standard play but dang that landfall ability is strong. Abzan has plenty of choices as far as cards that gets things back from the graveyard from.

I would love -- LOVE -- if they did this with white and had them be the bad guys. I'm so sick of Rosewater telling us white and black aren't tied to good and evil respectively on the spectrum then designing them the exact opposite way. A pirate world would be the PERFECT way to do a black hero set and a white villain set. You have the pirates -- the "heroes" -- be the black characters, and the Armada -- the "villains" -- be the law coming in to bust up their adventures and fun.

Right, certainly more logical than doing that twist in the Japanese mythology block, anyway.

I think it's easy to have the antagonists be white and the lead hero be black in this context, although probably a lot harder to have a sympathetic faction of black pirates.

Shit this just reminded me how awesome Zendikar's angels are. Love the halos over the eyes

Bothers me a little since they made a point in ROE to show that the angels had lost their halos. :/

tch

Bothers me a little since they made a point in ROE to show that the angels had lost their halos. :/

Huh never noticed that, that is a little inconsistent. Though I started back in Scars so didn't play too much with ROE. There were only two (Linvala and Deathless Angel) maybe it was just the art direction? Or did they give a lore reason having to do with people realizing their gods were actually the Titans?

Edit: yep it's the latterhttp://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/86,

Yeef

Consecrated Sphinx's Revelation XXWUU
Creature - Sphinx
Flash, Flying
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever an opponent draws a card or gains life, you draw 2 cards and gain 2 life for each +1/+1 counter on ~.
2/2

duxstar

Wonder if we will see real graveyard hate in this set. Den Protector, Greenwarden, now the Angel and Jace all use the graveyard for shenanigans, not to mention March from the tomb, will be interesting what they put in, If anything.

Also see where they go with artifact hate. We lose back to nature, unravel the aether, reclamation sage, revoke existence and artisans sorrow from theros/m15.

Also , I love that Angel , but she's probably too High a mana cost. That ability with fetches though..... Play a fetch, return a card to hand, crack fetch play a dual land, return something to the battlefield.

Son1x

So I tried my GW Hardened Scales deck for the second time yesterday in standard. Went 2-2 but I felt like the deck could beat any one of them. Won against some UWB control and Abzan control and lost to another Abzan control and some RG devotionish thing. BfZ looks pretty bad for now, but at least some new lands are nice and I'll probably get a playset of Undergrowth Champions. I am however looking forward to the rotation because I'm losing only a few cards. Not sure what I'm gonna do the block after with Hardened Scales rotating out.

Hopefuly the 4 flickerwisps I bought arrive sometime next week so I can finaly try out Death & Taxes in modern. Shouls be pretty solid in local meta.

I did the same thing. I'm skeptical I'll get to play with it any time soon but maybe someday I can play a Goblin deck.

My brother plays almost exclusively goblins (standard, modern and edh) and while he started out with 3 or 4 piledrivers (in modern), he now uses only 1. He did pretty good with 1 or 2 of then, he won a PPTQ in Italy and placed top4 in the Slovenian WMCQ (plus first place at a few FNMs). He did mention that every now and then he actualy hits for 20+.

I believe he still uses a few in standard, but doesn't play much so I have no information there.

I found a modern Deck I really want the new Drana for. BW tokens. Looking up decklists though I'm surprised Rally the ancestors plays Teysa but BW tokens doesn't.

Only need a sac outlet for Bitterblossom and you're getting doubly value.

OnPoint

I still have my Modern B/W Token/Polymorph build that I tinker with from time to time. I'm starting to think I need to replace the Sorins with BfZ Gideons, so I'm hoping he gets kinda cheap at some point in the future. He's just overall better I think in every way. I'm thinking I might switch up my plan, and Game 1 just go straight tokens, and game 2 go for the Polymorph/Emrakul package, instead of it being reversed like it is now. Game 1 usually goes great for me, but it's a little more nebulous after that. Then again, I don't play Modern as much as I'd like, so I haven't done enough real testing.

Exokell

Banned
How is Gideon better when the +1 is worthless cause of summoning sickness? His anthem just kills him. 2/2 without abilities is worthless.

Maledict

The 2/2 is an ally which means it supports a whle host of cards in the set. Whether that's enough of a distinction to make it valuable in constructed is yet to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom