• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandini

It's a 2/3 that can easily be dealt with in a multiplayer game. Stop wanting cards banned because you don't like or don't know how to deal with them.

It's actually pretty hard to get rid of in pretty much any deck with a decent control shell, for instance my fiancée's Roon deck. Between being able to exile and return it with a variety of abilities and always having mana for counters, it frequently just wins the game.

Just for clarification, whens the earliest time I can cast Mardu Charm on my opponent's turn? I believe it's either Draw or main phase 1, and I need to know this for a Mardu Tokens brew I'm working on. Languish wrecks the deck hard so I need some counter measures.

ultron87

Just for clarification, whens the earliest time I can cast Mardu Charm on my opponent's turn? I believe it's either Draw or main phase 1, and I need to know this for a Mardu Tokens brew I'm working on. Languish wrecks the deck hard so I need some counter measures.

In their upkeep, before they draw, but after everything has untapped.

Upkeep, but yes the draw phase is your best bet if you use the discard mode..

Their upkeep, I believe.

Lol Maelstrom Wanderer is not that bad. Neither is Prophet.

Maelstrom Wanderer is totally fine. I understand the hatred for Prophet however. It's like half of a fully-leveled Lighthouse Chronologist. It lets one player take 3x the number of actions as everyone else. It's not that much more absurd than any of the other dozens of bah-roken cards in EDH, but it does feel like shit to have to be sitting across from it.

Socat

Maelstrom Wanderer is totally fine. I understand the hatred for Prophet however. It's like half of a fully-leveled Lighthouse Chronologist. It lets one player take 3x the number of actions as everyone else. It's not that much more absurd than any of the other dozens of bah-roken cards in EDH, but it does feel like shit to have to be sitting across from it.

EDH is full of broken bullshit. Never seen people be so "casually competitive" and argue so much as I do in EDH. Glad I stay far away. There's no in between with EDH decks and games. We can either all build ridiculous combos, or we can try to win. Mixing the two leads to fun had by no one

OnPoint

EDH is full of broken bullshit. Never seen people be so "casually competitive" and argue so much as I do in EDH. Glad I stay far away. There's no in between with EDH decks and games. We can either all build ridiculous combos, or we can try to win. Mixing the two leads to fun had by no one

I have a friend who builds degenerate things, then gets mad when you build degenerate things.

I don't play with him much these days.

Socat

I have a friend who builds degenerate things, then gets mad when you build degenerate things.

I don't play with him much these days.

and that describes most of the people I see playing EDH. Once upon a time, I wanted to build a Melek deck, and had most of a list, but after crying it'd cause, I changed my mind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
EDH is a garbage format of people playing broken combos and getting angry at other people disrupting their broken combos with other broken combos

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179737420]Man, that Bring to Light Seige Rhino deck is gonna be really obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

sup

Deck: 5-Color Rhino Control
w.gif
u.gif
b.gif
g.gif

//Creatures
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Den Protector
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Siege Rhino
1 Whisperwood Elemental
1 Dragonlord Ojutai

//Spells
2 Despise
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Ruinous Path
4 Abzan Charm
1 Sultai Charm
1 Languish
1 Crux of Fate
4 Bring to Light
2 Dig Through Time

//Land
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Windswept Heath
2 Lumbering Falls
1 Shambling Vent
1 Prairie Stream
1 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Island
2 Forest

//Sideboard
2 Radiant Purge
4 Duress
4 Radiant Flames
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Ugin's Insight
1 Silumgar's Command
1 Ojutai's Command

Display deck statistics

Firemind

I play mono dragons.

I wish there was a land destructive dragon that wasn't Numot. Angels have Desolation Angel so it's only fair!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason the deck is so expensive is that fetchland prices went up fairly substantially, Jace costs $45 TCG mid and a lot of the cards are inflated due to pre-set demand.

Ruinous Path being $6.50 is unsustainable and I don't see Battlelands at more than $5 for long.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
EDH is a format that's as good as your playgroup is chill.

More importantly (IMO), everyone just has to be on the same page in terms of how stacked/tuned the decks are.

Had a legacy friend express interest in playing one time, but he brings a super tuned Sharuum deck. Meanwhile the rest of us are playing casual Isamaru weenies (the one guy loved that dog), decent Omnath ramp, and an admittedly higher level Sisay toolbox.

He couldn't understand our frustration at his quickly emerging infinite turns.

The reason the deck is so expensive is that fetchland prices went up fairly substantially, Jace costs $45 TCG mid and a lot of the cards are inflated due to pre-set demand.

Ruinous Path being $6.50 is unsustainable and I don't see Battlelands at more than $5 for long.
Ruinous Path, Kiora, and Lumbering Falls are the cards I'm watching in regards to their current preorder price. ($6, $13, and $5, respectively.)

I don't suppose Polluted Delta is gonna drop anytime soon, either?

EDH is a garbage format of people playing broken combos and getting angry at other people disrupting their broken combos with other broken combos

sup

Deck: 5-Color Rhino Control
w.gif
u.gif
b.gif
g.gif
We've got pretty similar builds, which I guess isn't too surprising. I really like your Radiant Flames splash so I'm just gonna steal your manabase for now. I'm going slightly heavy on the two drops for curve reasons. Hangarback is so nice. I'd like to play Skyrider Elf since it fits no matter what and blocks dragons, but it's so bad with Languish that I probably shouldn't.

5C 4-Color Abzan Toolbox Control, or, You can Bring a Rhino to the Light, but You Can't Make Him Drain Three

18 Creatures
  • 4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 4 Hangarback Walker
  • 2 Den Protector
  • 1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
  • 4 Siege Rhino
  • 1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 2 Dragonlord Ojutai

16 Spells
  • 4 Abzan Charm
  • 4 Crackling Doom
  • 1 Languish
  • 2 Utter End
  • 1 Crux of Fate
  • 4 Bring to Light

26 Land
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 4 Windswept Heath
  • 1 Lumbering Falls
  • 2 Shambling Vent
  • 1 Prairie Stream
  • 1 Canopy Vista
  • 1 Cinder Glade
  • 1 Smoldering Marsh
  • 1 Sunken Hollow
  • 1 Plains
  • 2 Swamp
  • 1 Island
  • 2 Forest

Sideboard
  • 2 Stratus Dancer
  • 1 Dispel
  • 4 Disdainful Stroke
  • 1 Dragonlord Silumgar
  • 1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
  • 1 Duress
  • 1 Virulent Plague
  • 4 Radiant Flames

Crocodile

I can agree with that. Though if we’re making distinctions, there should be different categories of bombs. One one spectrum there are bombs that can take over the game at any point single-handedly. A good example would be Wurmcoil Engine. However, it takes six mana, so a deck like Infect could win the game before it takes over. On the other spectrum, there are bombs you can play early on and if your opponent doesn’t have an immediate answer to it, he or she loses. You play the game out, but in your mind you already know the outcome. Think Pack Rat and Citadel Siege. The bombs in Khans are between those two spectrums. I’m fine with control decks playing six mana bombs as win conditions; you get more draws and more time to set up your mana to deal with them and sometimes they just don’t matter. Broodmate Dragon, Flameblast Dragon, <insert> Dragon are fine because they’re dragons. Dragons are supposed to be imposing and powerful. With cheaper, slightly smaller dragons in Khans, games could end very quickly largely off one card, which makes it no fun for either party.

We just have to agree to disagree with the variance of Khans and RTR relative to Shards. Drafting takes skill. In my experience with Khans, if you didn’t open certain cards, you’d be forced to draft something proactive to win games. Sultai for example was stone cold unplayable if you didn’t have the rares to support it. You could draft five colour and pick up the good stuff, but in my experience, the drafting was too inconsistent. I’m not salty because of a losing streak either; I had a lot of success with U/R. It’s just that drafting U/R for the millionth time kind of soured the format after a while. I passed so many Wardens of the Eye because it just wasn’t what I was trying to accomplish, namely to win games. In any other format, it would have been a semi-bomb (see: Izzet Chronarch). I could happily draft control in the original Ravnica block with just commons and uncommons. With RTR and Khans, the pieces rarely fell into the right places. Don’t get me wrong. Khans is a good limited set. It didn’t help that FTR and DTK left a bad impression as a whole though. Same with RTR; GC and DGM made the format worse. Whereas Conflux made Shards better. Perhaps that’s why I have fonder memories of Shards. Take note, R&D! Don’t blow all your wad on the first set! Maybe that’s why they designed BFZ to be terrible. :3

I agree that not all bombs are created equal. How well they can turn around a losing board position, how difficult they are to interact with, etc. are all big parts of what makes a bomb an actual bomb and some bombs "bombier" than others. I just don't think the rares in Khans are worse or "bombier" than rares in your average set and the way the mechanics of the format and the quality of the average card play out, there are just more real games in Khans than in Shards. Compare the rares in Khans vs. Fate Reforged to get a good idea of what a "bomby" set of rares looks like.

On to your second point, I felt I had a lot of success with slower decks in the Khans format and I saw other people do the same. Cards like Sultai Soothsayer and Warden of the Eye were very playable and you could very easily win games/matches without bombs in those wedges. Even if a format was "aggressive" that doesn't make it "inconsistent". Drafting proactive decks isn't a bug of a format unless its taken too far (*cough* Zendikar, M12, Gatecrash, maybe Origins? *cough*). Now I can understand if that's not your preference but again that doesn't make a format inherently less skillful and I don't put RTR or Khans anywhere near those hyper-fast formats I just mentioned. If I had to pick a "best" wedge in Khans it would likely be Abzan but I think all were very viable whereas I felt the Shard balance in Alara was very wonky with Naya/Bant way in front and Esper way in back (unless you got the stone cold nuts). But yeah, I guess we'll probably just have to agree to disagree here.

As for your last point, I 100% agree that Conflux made the Shards block draft format better whereas Fate Reforged made the Khans format worse. Aside from the specifics of what Conflux and Fate Reforged did and how they were designed as sets that lead to this, which we've already discussed, I think some of it has to do with the fact that with Shards there wasn't that much room to get worse and with Khans there wasn't much room to get better. That isn't to say Shards is irredeemable or that Khans is immaculate of course but rather its usually easy to go in the opposite direction of where you start :p

Angry Grimace

The biggest "I win" bomb I've ever had played against me in limited was Ugin. Fuck that guy. He only doesn't get a 5/5 on the bomb chart because he costs a billion, but he also takes you from winning easily to "you just lose."

Ok Grimace, I need to fix my deck. I wasn't thinking about being able to tutor 5 drops since I just added your splash. Ojutai is definitely gonna help me against these fucking eldrazi ramp decks with a million bombs.

Angry Grimace

Stupid Shit Angry Grimace Says&#8482;:

[Dragonlord]Atarka is one of the worst mythics in a long time. Not by virtue of anything other than just being extremely boring Timmy design. One time ETB that's just Bogardan Hellkite's ability (e.g. something we already knew dragons could do) and a huge, unprotected body. It doesn't even have a static ability. Its just huge. Making a creature huge is not making it "mythic," its just huge.

I can't imagine anyone would ever play [Silumgar's Scorn] for real - Force Spike for UU is just not good enough. People just get excited about alternate costs and modes on counterspells.

I had way more stupid shit to say during FRF spoiler season but I was banned (no, not for saying stupid shit during Khans spoiler season). I think all of that dumb shit I said on SA, like "Tasigur sucks who would play that"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Stupid Shit Angry Grimace Says&#8482;:

I had way more stupid shit to say during FRF spoiler season but I was banned. I think all of that dumb shit I said on SA, like "Tasigur sucks who would play that"

I always thought Atarka would see play, the complete non-presence (to my knowledge) of Dragonlord Dromoka is what's surprised me

EDIT: Aside from apparently being in the winning deck of the 2015 World Vintage championships?

Angry Grimace

I always thought Atarka would see play, the complete non-presence (to my knowledge) of Dragonlord Dromoka is what's surprised me

There's this one guy at our store that insists Dromoka is insane even though I was completely right on that one - you win if your opponent can't answer it, but its abilities don't actually protect it in any real way.

EDIT: Aside from apparently being in the winning deck of the 2015 World Vintage championships?

Yep - a Bomberman/Oath variant with a lot of tricky tech. Turns out that it's really convenient if your opponent can't cast spells while you're trying to assemble a 3-card combo.

Firemind

Dark Depths is legit. You can even fetch the Hexmage with Imperial Recruiter. They were even nice enough to add Dark Petition to the cube so you can tutor one of the pieces and play both of them on the same turn. :lol

Dark Depths is legit. You can even fetch the Hexmage with Imperial Recruiter. They were even nice enough to add Dark Petition to the cube so you can tutor one of the pieces and play both of them on the same turn. :lol

Due to my commitment to Eldritch Abominations, I have Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage and either Vampire Hexmage or Expedition Map in all my commander decks.

Dromoka is creeping into Abzan now, usually filling the 6 slot Elspeth is leaving behind. It doesn't hurt that Esper Dragons has been more prominent lately either.

Angry Grimace

I'm tempted to find a midnight prerelease up in Oakland (I'm flying there for a conference). I doubt I could finish one.

I really wish LGS's around me drafted at all

Where on earth do you live? I've never run into this problem anyplace with a big enough population to actually support a store.

Right, the problem with Prophet isn't that it's too powerful (many cards are more powerful than it), it's that it's ludicrously obnoxious to play in a game where someone who knows what they're doing has one live.

(I'd toss Top from every format under the sun if I had the power to, for exactly the same reason.)

Did they hire on extra people, or did they wholesale replace a bunch of the creative team?

Hired a bunch more. There hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, been a major departure from the creative team since Brady Dommermuth left under *spookyfingers* mysterious circumstances

y2dvd

On the draw vs burn.
He T1 Goblin Guide.
I T1 land, pass.
He T2 Goblin Guide and Swiftspear.
I look at my hand of no removals. Concede.

Sometimes it just feels there's nothing you can do against a nut hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom