• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the draw vs burn.
He T1 Goblin Guide.
I T1 land, pass.
He T2 Goblin Guide and Swiftspear.
I look at my hand of no removals. Concede.

Sometimes it just feels there's nothing you can do against a nut hand.

Most times, there isn't. That's why we play magic though.

Matriox

Where on earth do you live? I've never run into this problem anyplace with a big enough population to actually support a store.

I could drive to Columbus, but that's an hour drive and I already drive there for work lol. I live in rural Ohio, and the closest cities to me are on average 10 players for fnm.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I used to have such a playgroup but then a couple of people started playing degenerate things and now there's an arms race going on.

"Degenerate" with my friends always remained under control, which is to say it always managed to mostly be "really strong versions of dumb casual shit" like the Rhys the Redeemed deck that made a billion elves on turn 4 or the Zur the Enchanter deck, none of this "infinite turns infinite damage" combo off bullcrap

Slightly tweaked the list after today's testing:

draftzys5x.png

I still think the Eldrazi decks are a bit more of a struggle than the other stuff I've played, but certainly not unwinnable, especially with the 4 strokes post-board. Cast triggers are a beating.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179780804]Man this 5c bring to light deck really is that good.[/QUOTE]
That card is just a wee bit stupid

ElyrionX

"Degenerate" with my friends always remained under control, which is to say it always managed to mostly be "really strong versions of dumb casual shit" like the Rhys the Redeemed deck that made a billion elves on turn 4 or the Zur the Enchanter deck, none of this "infinite turns infinite damage" combo off bullcrap

Infinite combos is precisely what happened. It's dumb and it's boring. Consistent and linear combo decks in EDH are the worst.

That card is just a wee bit stupid

Cast Bring to Light, get Ojutai, cast Bring to Light, get Crux of Fate is pretty dumb.

One person even brought up playing a singleton Dark Petition to get odd cards off Bring To Light. Face Down Den Protector, 6+ mana spells or counters then use the BBB to cast cards that were already in your hand, etc. Probably too fancy but the potential is there.

Infinite combos is precisely what happened. It's dumb and it's boring. Consistent and linear combo decks in EDH are the worst.

Vendilion Clique EDH is the great equalizer for combo.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179791024]Vendilion Clique EDH is the great equalizer for combo.[/QUOTE]

I thought about this but isn't this primarily a 1v1 deck?

I used to have such a playgroup but then a couple of people started playing degenerate things and now there's an arms race going on.

My group is pretty much finished with the arms race. Our main decks are Zur, Prossh, Derevi and Mimeo. Disgusting. Nuclear option all around. Also, Hermit Druid can be dealt with if you have the right cards. Turn 1 Extract ruins the strategy and from there their outs are pretty flimsy.

I thought about this but isn't this primarily a 1v1 deck?

Yes. The deck can only stop 1 person consistently. It is pretty much dead if you're facing 2 or more high powered decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179780804]Man this 5c bring to light deck really is that good.[/QUOTE]
There's a reason Bring to Light is 7 bucks overnight.

I think its just a little too slow though, I think a lot of the people testing it don't seem to believe you can just lose by turn 4 in this format and there's pretty much nothing relevant the deck can do against very aggressive decks pre-turn 3.

Firemind

My group is pretty much finished with the arms race. Our main decks are Zur, Prossh, Derevi and Mimeo. Disgusting. Nuclear option all around. Also, Hermit Druid can be dealt with if you have the right cards. Turn 1 Extract ruins the strategy and from there their outs are pretty flimsy.

Yes. The deck can only stop 1 person consistently. It is pretty much dead if you're facing 2 or more high powered decks.
Nothing like good ol' stax can't fix.
nofunallowed

I firmly believe that every deck needs a way to "just win this turn." Sometimes that's non-infinite (like Craterhoof Behemoth or Exsanguinate behind Coffers+Urborg), and sometimes that's infinite (like Strionic Resonator in Brago or Ashnod's Altar + Reito Lantern in Grenzo). Mostly this is because I believe that most games of EDH have worn out their welcome by the time the 45-minute mark hits, and somebody needs to win the game. If nobody is playing haymakers, games just drag on forever.

OnPoint

So Brimaz going down or up in price?.

I'd like to hear people's opinion on Brimaz and his price as well. I'd like to pick a few more up if possible, but I don't know when the best time for him is.

I firmly believe that every deck needs a way to "just win this turn." Sometimes that's non-infinite (like Craterhoof Behemoth or Exsanguinate behind Coffers+Urborg), and sometimes that's infinite (like Strionic Resonator in Brago or Ashnod's Altar + Reito Lantern in Grenzo). Mostly this is because I believe that most games of EDH have worn out their welcome by the time the 45-minute mark hits, and somebody needs to win the game. If nobody is playing haymakers, games just drag on forever.

I couldn't agree with this more. Exanguinate is probably one of my favorite ways to do it, too.

Firemind

Don't you get it? Nobody wants to wage wars over nothing. We should all be diplomatic. Maybe Zur just likes to play dress up. Prossh probably just wants to keep pet Kobolds. It's not like he's eating them yet or anything. Oloro is the nicest guy around. Wait a minute, he's starting to profit from us? Let's nuke that son of a bitch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not a MTG question per se, but well...Kind of.

I am looking at buying a bunch of card sleeves. I typically use Ultra Pro Mattes, but the damn hologram on every card is bothering me to no end. I've been looking at picking up some Dragon Sleeves (either regular or matte), but some reviews and videos I've read have suggested that the actual sleeves aren't always cut right.

Anyone here use Dragon Sleeves for their card gaming needs? It's not durability that I'm worried about, but I do want sleeves that fit and shuffle well (so penny sleeves are never going to happen). Also, I will be proxying some cards, so I can't be able to see through the backs. Thoughts?

Socat

Not a MTG question per se, but well...Kind of.

I am looking at buying a bunch of card sleeves. I typically use Ultra Pro Mattes, but the damn hologram on every card is bothering me to no end. I've been looking at picking up some Dragon Sleeves (either regular or matte), but some reviews and videos I've read have suggested that the actual sleeves aren't always cut right.

Anyone here use Dragon Sleeves for their card gaming needs? It's not durability that I'm worried about, but I do want sleeves that fit and shuffle well (so penny sleeves are never going to happen). Also, I will be proxying some cards, so I can't be able to see through the backs. Thoughts?

KMC sleeves are the best shuffling sleeves I have ever used. No experience with dragon shields, but plenty of people recommend them. Found a good deal from another thread here on GAF for them as well

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=dragshieldbb#.VgP228tVhBc

Firemind

Yeah, Dragon sleeves aren't always cut right, so it's best to buy one at a time and use it until it's worn out.

KMC sleeves are really nice, but they tend to get dirty and damaged rather quickly, making them feel and shuffle not as nice anymore

hort

Neo Member
I love dragon shields. They are so nice to shuffle with when they are new. It gets a bit harder when they get used a bit / dirty.

Picked up some KMC hyper mattes the other day to try out as my drafting sleeves. They seem to be pretty great also, but not quite as nice to shuffle as brand new dragon shields.

Bandini

Dragon Shields are great. I love how they're a bit longer than most sleeves so you have less of a chance of scuffing the tops of your cards.

bigkrev

Dragon Shields can have minor cut differences from box to box. It's fine to buy a box of Dragon Shields to sleave your deck, but if you are sleaving a cube or mixing 2 boxes together, you might run into some issues.

Joe Molotov

I use Dragon Shield Mattes, they're pretty nice. I don't care for the regular Dragon Shields because they feel too slippery (sweaty palms guy here).

What makes you say that? These should be available at places like WalMart and Target along with LGS's ?

just my experience whenever just a single expensive card is put into any product but checking the price it actually about adds up so it should stay reasonable.

I don't think any of my local supermarket chains even still have MTG stock.

Socat

just my experience whenever just a single expensive card is put into any product but checking the price it actually about adds up so it should stay reasonable.

In my experience, the intro packs and event decks are usually only bought during prereleases to get extra packs and most of the cards in it are crap, so this is a good change.

Jhriad

Supplemental product like Intro Packs and Event Decks are usually printed in such volume, and available widely at most big box stores, that they're always at or below MSRP. Even with Clash Packs and Duel Decks it's rare for those to move above MSRP. Now I wouldn't discount there being a terrible LGS out there that will gouge their customers for whatever they think they can get but it's practically unheard of with Event Decks because they're available so widely.

In my experience, the intro packs and event decks are usually only bought during prereleases to get extra packs and most of the cards in it are crap, so this is a good change.

Supplemental product like Intro Packs and Event Decks are usually printed in such volume, and available widely at most big box stores, that they're always at or below MSRP. Even with Clash Packs and Duel Decks it's rare for those to move above MSRP. Now I wouldn't discount there being a terrible LGS out there that will gouge their customers for whatever they think they can get but it's practically unheard of with Event Decks because they're available so widely.

Good to hear, now they should do that with the Modern Event Deck(s) at a lower MSRP. Just to piss off everyone that paid 1k+ on his deck.

so long as it's not merfolk since I already have that

duxstar

The more I play with this set the more I hate it , so much for "you have to play with it first"

I could go on a whole rant about just the eldrazi side alone in draft. Yet maybe it has to grow on me, so not gonna pass judgement on it yet , but the outlook is not good

OnPoint

probably because not many people actually cared enough to buy them but super casuals before
Well when they're boringly designed and need a ton of work to be played, I don't blame people for ignoring them. I thought the whole idea was someone should be able to buy one and enter an event on the spot. I could be wrong about that though.

Jhriad

Event decks have Mythics now? This is a new development right?

Both Mythics will rotate with the set after Oath and neither has made an impact in other formats. Pretty good way to make Standard more affordable if that was their intention. Really liking how much value they've been pushing in supplemental products lately. Hopefully this is a trend that continues going forward.

Firemind

I might sleeve up 5cc dragons now. Never got the chance to play it and it doesn't lose much come rotation. You can keep playing your shitty Bring to Light decks.

Cutthroats and Sifters, I told you guys that was the combo :p

the old Blood Artist Viscera Seer strat

Both Mythics will rotate with the set after Oath and neither has made an impact in other formats. Pretty good way to make Standard more affordable if that was their intention. Really liking how much value they've been pushing in supplemental products lately. Hopefully this is a trend that continues going forward.

utilizing that reprint equity

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179833198]Cutthroats and Sifters, I told you guys that was the combo :p

the old Blood Artist Viscera Seer strat

utilizing that reprint equity[/QUOTE]

I didn't disagree. I actually think it's awesome.

A reminder to people new to prereleases that you should register with your local game store soon, otherwise it might get fully booked.

Also, Luis Scott-Vargas has started his Limited reviews of the set, which may be helpful for you.
White
Black
Blue

With more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom