• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSV has a great mind for this stuff, but Sutcliffe? Is he actually a good resource for this?

Suttcliffe has a good grasp of limited philosophy in general. As a player one of his weaknesses is that he doesn't listen to his own advice and he makes plays without thinking things through. He's a theorycrafter :p

I still resent him for not opening the pack I gave him for his podcast :-(

Bandini

I feel like lsv is sleeping a bit on the lifegainy vampires. Obviously you need to pair them with white, but they're a core part of probably the strongest sealed decks I've played against so far

ultron87

LSV has a great mind for this stuff, but Sutcliffe? Is he actually a good resource for this?

Marshall has been doing those reviews for awhile and has a pretty good grasp on stuff. Especially for newer drafters he has a lot of good advice. Judging by the cards you see end up in decks at prereleases/early set drafts I feel like a lot of people could up their Limited game quite a bit by listening to a set review show like this, just to have a good baseline for card evaluation.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blah I'm torn. On the one hand, BFZ prerelease is a good excuse to go check out the game store in town now that I've moved

On the other hand

Sealed

As a software engineer by trade, I don't even want to think about what the internal code of MTGO must look like:

9JxS1V6.png

The Technomancer

You don't like sealed?

Whats wrong with you?

I wish I could play sealed more than just at prereleases

THG Sealed is one of the best limited formats. Single player sealed is basically the worst. I was more positive before I tried an Origins Sealed event on MTGO earlier this week and suddenly remembered just how shitty a Sealed pool can get

The Technomancer

Hmmm none of the game stores in Denver look particularly appealing at first glance, at least not to make the trip in. Guess I'm going to one of the two stores here in Boulder

THG Sealed is one of the best limited formats. Single player sealed is basically the worst. I was more positive before I tried an Origins Sealed event on MTGO earlier this week and suddenly remembered just how shitty a Sealed pool can get

But isn't it exiting how far you can get with a shitty card pool?

Like I played UWg for Dragons of Tarkir and thought it was my best deck yet and only went 2-2 but come origins I went green and got the worst creatures imaginable made the best I could out of it which isn't much and went 3-1.

My LGS only plays 4 rounds.

Firemind

Ugh. Mental note: don't draft white weenie. I remember black at one point only had Damnation as mass removal. It now has Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Crux of Fate and Languish. It's getting a bit ridiculous. :lol

Ugh. Mental note: don't draft white weenie. I remember black at one point only had Damnation as mass removal. It now has Damnation, Toxic Deluge, Crux of Fate and Languish. It's getting a bit ridiculous. :lol

It was stupidly good in Randy's first draft. Did they cut all of the crusades and/or token generators?

Obviously, different art = different coders.

Now, I only had a class on Java in high school, but that still seems ridiculous to me if these things work as I think they would work. Why would the code differ at all between the two instances except for what image file is referenced?

Now, I only had a class on Java in high school, but that still seems ridiculous to me if these things work as I think they would work. Why would the code differ at all between the two instances except for what image file is referenced?

I was being facetious, it isn't something that makes sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Clearly they re-implement every reprint/promo version of a card.

I assure you the full art Godless Shrines will cause the client to crash or something.

Firemind

It was stupidly good in Randy's first draft. Did they cut all of the crusades and/or token generators?
It remained unchanged. It's just that other decks have gotten new toys to play with. You basically have to goldfish and hope your opponent doesn't draw his/her mass removal.

Edit: In my second draft, my opponent payed twenty life with Toxic Deluge to kill a Marit Lage token. :lol

OnPoint

It remained unchanged. It's just that other decks have gotten new toys to play with. You basically have to goldfish and hope your opponent doesn't draw his/her mass removal.

Edit: In my second draft, my opponent payed twenty life with Toxic Deluge to kill a Marit Lage token. :lol
An efficient use of life at least...

Did you finish them with Bump in the Night?

Firemind

My opponent was at 35 life because of Divinity of Pride and Griselbrand. He was playing mono black devotion. I was playing garbage.

I can't believe I'm gonna say it, but I'm warming up to Battle for Zendikar, now that it's truly hitting how big of a power reset it's gonna be. Theros had a ton of explosive, munchkin cards, so it'll be nice to see less of a "blow you outta the water" environment.

Temur is still gonna be a tool in my pocket; but I'm going on record as switching to Sultai for BfZ, at least to begin. Delve still has some really strong synergy, and the loss of explosive Theros plays will even the grindy playing field until people figure out BfZ.

Red(G) Deck Wins will always be there to pain us in the neck, tho.

Anyone else wanna sound off on their "chosen one" deck entering the new rotation?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Well, I'm officially registered for the pre-release. What's cool is that my local store is offering a free BfZ playmat, deck case, and the artist of the playmat will be there for signatures. I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's specific to my store but it's new from the last time I did a pre-release years ago. Also, I like how the promo cards are random now. It would be insane to get an Expedition promo card, if that's even possible.

I'm leaning towards some sort of Kiora Sultai build as my tier 1 deck of choice. It may turn into Temur, really just depends on how Kiora ends up playing.

Charlatan

Neo Member
It's absurd that their card architecture doesn't allow for different versions of the same functional card. It's part of the core of the game - reprints happen all the time!

There are a many explanations that could account for the two cards not functioning the same. It could be something as simple as the promo version not having the triggered ability flag set in it's datafile. So for people to whine over that one error as meaning something horrible about the architecture of MTGO, well that's just ridiculous.

There are a many explanations that could account for the two cards not functioning the same. It could be something as simple as the promo version not having the triggered ability flag set in it's datafile. So for people to whine over that one error as meaning something horrible about the architecture of MTGO, well that's just ridiculous.

Well I mean, that still means that they don't keep the card data separate from the art data.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's pretty simple: even if they work the same they are not considered the same item in modo.

Well, I'm officially registered for the pre-release. What's cool is that my local store is offering a free BfZ playmat, deck case, and the artist of the playmat will be there for signatures. I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's specific to my store but it's new from the last time I did a pre-release years ago. Also, I like how the promo cards are random now. It would be insane to get an Expedition promo card, if that's even possible.
No, they are technically not a part of the Battle for Zendikar set.

Jhriad

Well, I'm officially registered for the pre-release. What's cool is that my local store is offering a free BfZ playmat, deck case, and the artist of the playmat will be there for signatures. I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's specific to my store but it's new from the last time I did a pre-release years ago.

Wow, that's really cool. Definitely not a normal thing.

The Technomancer

The free shit sounds awesome. Legion Games in Minnesota used to be a big enough deal that we got artists every pre-release, and even Forsythe gunslinging once, but they stopped that after Scars block I think

I'm leaning towards some sort of Kiora Sultai build as my tier 1 deck of choice. It may turn into Temur, really just depends on how Kiora ends up playing.

Temur could be pretty good. 2 drop Rattleclaw, 3 drop Knux, 4 drop Woodland Wanderer or Kiora, 5 drop Sarkhan or OG Surrak. Pretty nice threat curve.

There's no reason for them to be separate cards. They should be the same card with separate presentations. This is very simple design/architecture philosophy, and it's endemic of the sloppy design and coding of MTGO.

Just played my first phantomdraft on MODO and it's okay.

Being able to easily phantomdraft is awesome. My opponent and I were both figuring MODO out as we go round 1. He sacced his Nantuko Husks to itself 3 times.

I was playing UW Tutelage and it was awesome, that card is so powerful in limited. If you combine it with multiple binding chains and claustrophobias there's not much your opponent can do if he hasn't beaten you down in the first couple turns.

And Willbreaker is so incredibly useless. I've seen many streamers try drafting around it and played against it both just now and in real life, it's naught.

Has anyone thought about making BUGw Awaken control?

duxstar

I will wait to see before I commit to any deck , abzan splashing bring to the light is absurd.

It has the best answers left to hangarback walker in abzan charm and and utter end. Then it has the ability to go find siege rhinos at any point , and even find languish and Planar outburst when the time comes

There have been 3 or 4 type of decks I've come across online

Super aggro - mostly mono red , but some go black red to flood the board and then land the blood artist guy so that a board wipe just kills you.

Landfall aggro - swiftspear , scythe leopard, atarkas command etc, basically like most zoo decks you can think of.

Blue/black control , basically all awaken cards.deck that just tries to counter /exile all of your things to get to the late game and then awaken their lands.

Then there's Abzan , which people don't even try to brew with , basically it has the best removal spells for your cards and has the best cards that need to be answered, Siege Rhinos, Hangarback walkers and Languish , Abzan Charm ,Ruinous Path,;;;
, utter end . Except now they splash for even better cards in crackling doom and GBs deck even splashes bring the light for an answer on a stick. Board is overwhelming ? BTL for languish, losing too much life ? Go get siege rhinos #2 and #3.

None of these decks are interesting to me, graveyard stuff is dead because all the exiling effects and an Eldrazi deck reminds me of g/r, only now your mana dorks suck.

The hardest part for me to accept is that hangarback walker is everywhere , and there arent enough answers for it. It's to the point where I've thought about running 4 stasis snare and 4 silkwraps in the sideboard. Countering it is futile on the draw.

Maybe this set just isn't for me, in the past I knew I had cards I could rely on, and gw was pretty viable, but it appears that it's not viable. I'll just wait and see what other people come up with and see if anything tickles my fancy.

Maro trying and failing to convince people that Gatherer only returning Devoid cards when you search for colorless is actually smart and correct is like a microcosm of the whole reaction to this set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom