• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
en_pfw5ha4zkw.png

This is probably one of my favorite pieces of art in this set. The visual of the pregnant flying eldrazi with its "baby" looking to bust out of its sac and fall to earth is really really really
really
cool.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite "messed up" Eldrazi art pieces in the set.

Finished my midnight prerelaeses in Australia going 1-5. I had the worst most shambolic deck imaginable. Barely any good pulls in my packs, I want the seeded packs back. :(

I also want skill and the ability to properly evaluate cards but you can't have everything.

What rares did you pull? Any advice for the rest of us about the format?

Matriox

They outright said it's about 1 expedition in every 200 packs. So, 1 in every 5.5 boxes or so.

I only remember them saying outright that they would be less rare than foil mythics, but my point was based on that small sample size anyways. I don't think they'll be that many pulled on average, I was just doing math with the numbers given was all.

I wonder if they ratchet up the Expedition rate a bit for the prerelease. I've suspected that in the past based on seeing how many mythics get opened at prereleases (but that is entirely anecdotal).

I also wondered this.

Firemind

For us non-prerelease goers, MTGO sucks!

First draft, draft Griselbrand, Emrakul and Dark Depths in the first pack. No enablers whatsoever.

Second draft, draft Splinter Twin p1p1. Nothing.

It's one of those days, isn't it?

Of course the one sitting opposite me opens a misty rainforest...

I'm gonna go cry in a corner over there

Also wouldn't be a prerelease if I didn't get 2 rare lands I don't even get to play.

Anyways those of you who mg for numbers it were 5 expeditions for 140 attendees. No prices given out yet so could end up being more.

Hackworth

I'm supposed to be at a prerelease right now, but thanks to Wizards' recent sham-fucking-bolic ability to actually get cards from the US to NZ, like 50% of the local prereleases have been canceled due to no stock.

My prerelease is now scheduled for this time next week. Tell me your MVP commons and uncommons.

For those keeping score, that's Dragons of Tarkir and Battle for Zendikar which have failed, pre-release wise, or 2 of the past 3.
EDIT: Dragons at least the boosters showed up, BfZ is a complete wash.

bigkrev

PSA if you have played MTGO in the past- Mishra's Bauble is now worth 17 tickets, and if you were playing when Coldsnap was legal, you probably have some in your account. I was able to sell a playset for 56 tickets in less than 3 minutes today after verifying I had them.

Crocodile

Matt Watkins posted his BFZ spoiler analysis if anyone wants a statistical based approach to looking over the set and what they might mean for limited play.

Of course the one sitting opposite me opens a misty rainforest...

I'm gonna go cry in a corner over there

Also wouldn't be a prerelease if I didn't get 2 rare lands I don't even get to play.

Anyways those of you who mg for numbers it were 5 expeditions for 140 attendees. No prices given out yet so could end up being more.

Someone opened a foil Tarmogoyf across from me in the 1st MM2 draft I did. I get and totally understand the salt (been there done that) but shit happens *shrug*

Kacar

Didn't realize until now that the prerelease was just a standard sealed deck as opposed to picking a color.

I've never done one of those before, interested to see how it goes.

ElyrionX

The whole fatpack situation is stupid and is just another example of Wizard's incompetence. If they don't want to control prices in the secondary market, the least they can do is force shops to stick to MSRP for sealed products.

The whole fatpack situation is stupid and is just another example of Wizard's incompetence. If they don't want to control prices in the secondary market, the least they can do is force shops to stick to MSRP for sealed products.

I'm hoping to walk into Wal-mart or Target and find one.

Yeef

That's not how MSRP works. "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price"

More to the point, if stores stuck to MSRP, one of two things would happen:
Resellers would buy out stock and resell them for more.
Stores wouldn't sell any and just open the Fat Packs and sell the land packs separately.

What Wizards needed to do is realize that the Fat Packs would be more popular than a typical set and order a much larger print run on them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can't force a retailer to sell for X price. The MSRP is still $3.99. Target just sells it for more because they can.

ZeroX03

Banned
Went 3-2 overall. Pulled a bunch of bomb rares but the rest of my deck was pretty inconsistent so it pretty much just came down to if I pulled them. Needed search or draw of something.

duxstar

Here I am in a place that I don't know doing a prerelease in a state I don't live In and I've been drinking hard liquor which I never do, for a set that when sober I said I wasn't a fan of at all and have to be up at 11 am to go to the barbershop for the wedding I'm going too.

Yeah I'm a magic nerd lol

Fat packs are $50-$60 at most sites now?

:lol Go fuck yourself wizards.

You can't force a retailer to sell for X price. The MSRP is still $3.99. Target just sells it for more because they can.

Well, sure and it's also why some booster boxes you have to preorder or you'll be paying a pretty hefty price over what it usually is. Doesn't make wizards look any less incompetent or create any less ill will knowing they're even more incompetent than previously believed.

My ass is totally buying that new event deck. Tasigur and Warden alone, let alone a playset of Blisterpod, Llanowar, and Walker. Crazy. Bar-none the most value WotC has ever put in a deck. Gonna drop the singles prices for me to build my paper Sultai deck too! :D

ZeroX03

Banned
A little kid (8 I think) at the prerelease pulled an expedition Steam Vents (I think). Fortunately the store owner had told everyone beforehand not to trade or sell them rashly because the buzzards were swarming and he stood strong.

Hackworth

A little kid (8 I think) at the prerelease pulled an expedition Steam Vents (I think). Fortunately the store owner had told everyone beforehand not to trade or sell them rashly because the buzzards were swarming and he stood strong.
Nice. I hate when the sharks go after newbies.

Arksy

How much are fat packs for Americans? Here in Australia they MSRP for $60 generally, but you can get them $55-58 at a stretch.

Crocodile

What's wrong?

Kirblar doesn't seem the type to just complain about a bad pool so I'm going to guess it might have been extra awkward because of parasitic mechanics of set. I remember looking it up and there are only like 9 Ingesters for like 10 Processors or something like that. I wouldn't be surprsied if lots of people at the PR were misplaying or slow playing because cards are weird but not in the fun Cube way. Rounds maybe took forever?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Super pathetic pool and I'm tired as fuck. Gonna be a one and done.

Opened a Sacred Foundry in my packs and my jaw dropped when I saw it was at 125 on SCG. I was almost not going to play in the midnight tournament but changed my mind at the last minute. Good thing! Plus I'm 2-0 so far. Should be worth the lack of sleep

hort

Neo Member
2-0 at the moment with a super slow bug control / awaken deck. 2 ruinous paths (one promo) puts in work.

Edit: also, the flyer that lets you scry 2 is insane

kirblar

Kirblar doesn't seem the type to just complain about a bad pool so I'm going to guess it might have been extra awkward because of parasitic mechanics of set. I remember looking it up and there are only like 9 Ingesters for like 10 Processors or something like that. I wouldn't be surprsied if lots of people at the PR were misplaying or slow playing because cards are weird but not in the fun Cube way. Rounds maybe took forever?
Dingdingdingdingdinfdingding

Both things are happening.

ElyrionX

How much are fat packs for Americans? Here in Australia they MSRP for $60 generally, but you can get them $55-58 at a stretch.

Prices for BFZ fat packs are being jacked up by all the LGSes and are notably more expensive than what fat packs typically sell for.

kirblar

I am in a 5c awaken ramp deck. I have 0 2 drops. I have processors but now way to make them work. I have rare allies but there are barely allies in the pool. Converge is ok here but the common guy is a 3 drop competing with actual mana dudes. Everything is so siloed and parasitic in this set.

Yeef

Managed to live the dream and play Unified Front on 4 while I had Tajuru Warcaller out.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Also, I opened rare lands in 4 of my six packs, so i ended up in GW allies splashing Red for the double striker and some removal and black for March from the Tomb.

kirblar

Devoid was a mistake. I actually defended it before playing with it, but it's so annoying to keep track of and it's absurdly counterintuitive. The feedback from the frame testing was pointing to a much deeper issue.

ElyrionX

That's not how MSRP works. "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price"

More to the point, if stores stuck to MSRP, one of two things would happen:
Resellers would buy out stock and resell them for more.
Stores wouldn't sell any and just open the Fat Packs and sell the land packs separately.

What Wizards needed to do is realize that the Fat Packs would be more popular than a typical set and order a much larger print run on them.

The solution to both of those points are to increase supply and enforce compliance via a system of penalties for non-compliance.

Crocodile

Devoid was a mistake. I actually defended it before playing with it, but it's so annoying to keep track of and it's absurdly counterintuitive. The feedback from the frame testing was pointing to a much deeper issue.

Do the frames not look "artifacty" enough in person?

Yeef

The solution to both of those points are to increase supply and enforce compliance via a system of penalties for non-compliance.
Increasing supply stops both issues. With increased supply, there's less demand, so there's no room to mark things up while still staying competitive.

I didn't have any issue keeping track of devoid creatures, nor did anyone else at the prerelease. I think the frame stands out quite a bit, even in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom