• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm not really sad to see anything go. Any love I had for Theros block - which was not much to begin with - has long since wilted. I'm glad we got Thoughtsiezes back to a reasonable price in eternals, and I love the addition of Eidolon of the Great Revel to modern burn, same with Searing Blood.

But I have to once again give WotC props for the shift to the faster standard rotation paradigm. Blocks just hung around way too long. Theros in particular felt as if it was in standard for 5 years.

y2dvd

Went 4-0 with G/U scions because they did work. The color combination has so many token producing creatures that simply ask you to cast them. Creature wise, GU value is so good. Removal wise, there's a lot to be desired. I think I'll be drafting these colors quite often.

Mist Intruder suprisingly did a lot of work, especially when followed by Ruination Guide. I was able to exile so many key cards.

Firemind

I just realized Eidolon of the Great Revel isn't in the cube. Wtf forsythe

Instead we got Beetleback and friends. I still have no idea why Greater Gargadon is in the cube. Whoever played Gargadon in cube, raise their hand. And Chandra Nalaar smh.

No wonder blue keeps winning. I have not seen one winning deck in the final that wasn't blue.

Violet_0

Banned
I just realized that Tragic Arrogance doesn't target lands, same as Planar Outburst. With those cards, Noyan Dar and Halimar Tidecaller there should be enough tools for a decent Awaken deck, at least for Duels. Of course, Languish and other boardwipes would probably ruin your day

Is there realistically any chance of Standard ever moving out of being dominated by a pile of independently powerful and efficient cards that are almost all Mythic or Rare?

boo nwo

Firemind

well lantern control is a deck in modern so anything's possible. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

maybe sphinx's tutelage will be playable again. incoming rant on how tutelage is terrible.

Matriox

I'm going to force R/W tokens now that Bile Blight is gone. Nobody will side in whatever that one bullshit card is.

I assume youre talking about Virulent Plague, I have 3 in the board for hangarback walker :)

Ended up doing 3 prereleases this weekend. I took the day off work so I figured I'd make it a magic day. Midnight was pretty cruel, I didn't have a lot to work with except Fathom Feeder and a couple small non evasive ingest doods, still ended up going 3-2 for the night. Then yesterday morning I packed open a pretty decent RG token deck, but I didn't have any anthems or overrun varients to really go too nutty, but went 3-1 for 2nd place. Lastly, I ended up with a really good jund control deck, packed open 2 Planar Outburst, Promo Drana, Guul Draz Overseer, and From Beyond. Went 3-1 again, lost in the finals to a bonkers red white ally deck, guy had an entire pool of allies, and multiples of the doublestrike one, the legendary red white ally, the angel one, ect. Packed open a Gideon, Overgrowth Champion, Omnath, and a couple battle duals so good weekend overall.

The format is very frustrating at times, and almost every deck feels the exact same: Make eldrazi spawns, play big dudes, try to have bigger dudes than your opponent. The off chance your opponent gets a hyper aggressive build has been the best deck at the tournament in all 3 events I played in. Flying is very good, which I really wish I had main boarded a plummet in retrospect when I played green. The ingest/processor deck is a ton of fun when you get it working, but I never had enough processors or ingest when the option presented itself, but it will probably get better in draft, I hope. I was hoping black white lifegain would be a more viable strategy, but I never saw anyone even trying it, again might be better in draft. Plated Crusher is brutal, Grip of Desolation is killer, and almost nobody expects a well timed Turn Against. I didn't see as many people being greedy with their manabases, but I would splash a 3rd color in all 3 drafts for only 1 or 2 cards, only if I had fixing which evolving wilds/green has good options for that.

y2dvd

Green's fight card is really terrible this time around. Giving no bonus stats makes combat difficult as creatures from other colors have high power on par with your creatures, so you usually just kill a smaller creature anyways. Instant speed makes it no better.

OnPoint

I'm not really sad to see anything go. Any love I had for Theros block - which was not much to begin with - has long since wilted. I'm glad we got Thoughtsiezes back to a reasonable price in eternals, and I love the addition of Eidolon of the Great Revel to modern burn, same with Searing Blood.

But I have to once again give WotC props for the shift to the faster standard rotation paradigm. Blocks just hung around way too long. Theros in particular felt as if it was in standard for 5 years.

I didn't mind it when I liked and/or loved the blocks. I miss the Scars/Innistrad/RTR periods (I know Scars and RTR weren't standard together, before someone is a smart ass) something fierce, still to this day. But even though I loved those, I know that they outwore their welcome. It's going to be a better change overall for the format, and the game in general.

Now when do we get some of these god damned Commander spoilers.

Matriox

I didn't mind it when I liked and/or loved the blocks. I miss the Scars/Innistrad/RTR periods (I know Scars and RTR weren't standard together, before someone is a smart ass) something fierce, still to this day. But even though I loved those, I know that they outwore their welcome. It's going to be a better change overall for the format, and the game in general.

Now when do we get some of these god damned Commander spoilers.

Most important question IMO.

Firemind

They're all going to be busted multicolour crap. Surprise!

I just want a mono red dragon commander that isn't fucking Rorix or Tarox. Is that too much to ask?

Yeef

They're all going to be busted multicolour crap. Surprise!

I just want a mono red dragon commander that isn't fucking Rorix or Tarox. Is that too much to ask?
Yes.

128.jpg

red13th

I just realized Eidolon of the Great Revel isn't in the cube. Wtf forsythe

Instead we got Beetleback and friends. I still have no idea why Greater Gargadon is in the cube. Whoever played Gargadon in cube, raise their hand. And Chandra Nalaar smh.

No wonder blue keeps winning. I have not seen one winning deck in the final that wasn't blue.

Greater Gargadon is great in cube with the right synergies (it's a 1 mana sac outlet), Chandra Nalaar is decent too.
Not that I'm defending the MTGO Cube I have no idea what cards are in it.

Hero

Greater Gargadon is one of the best '1 drops' that red has for Cube. It makes almost all removal profitable for you and is a sac outlet that can't be interacted with. Play it with cards like Armageddon or Upheaval for maximum lulz.

Chandra Nalaar isn't bad either. One of the only cards that can deal with fatty creatures like Baneslayer Angel one to one and she sticks around afterwards. Red's five CC for spells doesn't have that much in terms of quality.

Aim_Ed

First prerelease and I went 1-1-4. I'm not even mad though, somehow ended up with Ob Nix, Steamed Vent, and a Chandra planeswalker from Origins. Also met a ton of cool people. I started playing a week ago and I already have a pretty good collection.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I went 3-1 in the AM and PM PreRelease. At night I forced 4 colors since I had no removal and bam, lost game 1 terribly. Downed myself to U/G and did some solid work.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180066181]A parent should never have to bury their children ;_;

drafteda2k.png
[/QUOTE]
Meh. People treat Wayfinder like it's Birds of Paradise.

I'm happy for Theros to rotate out. It had a lot of overpowered (note, I didn't say broken) cards. Standard is going to be a lot more fun.

Crowbear

Speaking of Satyr Wayfinder are there any decent self-mill options left for a Sultai deck at this point? I was looking at fiddling with a Sultai control deck of some sort post-rotation and I'm trying to find new options to fuel Tasigur and Murderous Cut. Gather the Pack maybe? That seems like a massive downgrade from Wayfinder. I dunno if there are any options I'm missing.

SGRemy

Speaking of Satyr Wayfinder are there any decent self-mill options left for a Sultai deck at this point? I was looking at fiddling with a Sultai control deck of some sort post-rotation and I'm trying to find new options to fuel Tasigur and Murderous Cut. Gather the Pack maybe? That seems like a massive downgrade from Wayfinder. I dunno if there are any options I'm missing.
Gamer The pack, Grave Strength And Kiora Down Tick Are The Only Ones That Come To Mind

Firemind

That's an Eastern style dragon spirit tho. All benevolent and shit. I want my dragon commander to be menacing ROAR HUMANS TASTY medieval style. I take my fantasy card games very seriously.

Greater Gargadon is one of the best '1 drops' that red has for Cube. It makes almost all removal profitable for you and is a sac outlet that can't be interacted with. Play it with cards like Armageddon or Upheaval for maximum lulz.

Chandra Nalaar isn't bad either. One of the only cards that can deal with fatty creatures like Baneslayer Angel one to one and she sticks around afterwards. Red's five CC for spells doesn't have that much in terms of quality.
Thundermaw, Stormbreath, Siege-Gang, Sneak Attack, Fireball variants, various swords.

hort

Neo Member
Did another pre release last night. Went 3-1 again with a r/w midrange kindof allies deck. Akoum firebird is pretty great.

Waiting to get my packs later in the week when the shop gets more product in. They got cut a prerelease kit (40 prerelease boxes) and had to do regular sealed for the event I went to and were running out of packs.

Edit: also, I legit like this set after playing with it for a bit. Its not great but it seemed fun and interesting to me.

Is there realistically any chance of Standard ever moving out of being dominated by a pile of independently powerful and efficient cards that are almost all Mythic or Rare?

boo nwo

I know what you mean. Maybe one day mono red will win back to back pro tours. Maybe one day.

Meh. People treat Wayfinder like it's Birds of Paradise.
I don't know why they would. Satyr Wayfinder is clearly better.

*cough cough* ;)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180084611]
I don't know why they would. Satyr Wayfinder is clearly better.[/QUOTE]
People need to get over it. :p

What did yall think of the scry mulligan rule? I approve of it.
It's fantastic.

I'm going to force R/W tokens now that Bile Blight is gone. Nobody will side in whatever that one bullshit card is.
I've got 4 radiant flames and virulent plague in my sideboard :p

Thanks for that homie, the feels cut deep ;_;

Green's fight card is really terrible this time around. Giving no bonus stats makes combat difficult as creatures from other colors have high power on par with your creatures, so you usually just kill a smaller creature anyways. Instant speed makes it no better.
Think of it as a combat trick more than a removal spell. You can get a bunch of wacky stuff going with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Even if Tokens is a real deck, Virulent Plague is super narrow.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180085147]It's fantastic.

Think of it as a combat trick more than a removal spell. You can get a bunch of wacky stuff going with it.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if you're playing a control version of BTL, I'd consider 2 Radiant Flames main board. I don't know what your current list is but a lot of them I've seen don't have any plays at all Turns 1-3.

Hero

That's an Eastern style dragon spirit tho. All benevolent and shit. I want my dragon commander to be menacing ROAR HUMANS TASTY medieval style. I take my fantasy card games very seriously.

Thundermaw, Stormbreath, Siege-Gang, Sneak Attack, Fireball variants, various swords.

The first three you listed are creatures, Sneak Attack is 4cc, Fireball variants are in their own categories and what swords are you talking about that are red?

The first three you listed are creatures, Sneak Attack is 4cc, Fireball variants are in their own categories and what swords are you talking about that are red?

Sneak Attack is 5; 4 to cast, 1 to activate. You want that immediate activation to get value. Swords are 3+2 and super good in aggro.

Firemind

Sorry, I misunderstood. In my defense, 'spell' is fairly ambiguous. Creatures are spells too.

And you're not likely going to cast Sneak Attack without having a red mana open. I mean it's in the name! Sneak Attack!

Hero

Sneak Attack is 5; 4 to cast, 1 to activate. You want that immediate activation to get value. Swords are 3+2 and super good in aggro.

It's a virtual 5 if you want to go in immediately but it's not Legacy where one activation is going to win you the game most of the time. In Cube it's not really a factor since only green and white have enchantment removal anyway. Most of the time you can safely cast Sneak and it will stick.

Edit:

I gotcha, yeah most cubes divide each section into creatures and spells with spells being anything that isn't a creature.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180085147]It's fantastic.

Think of it as a combat trick more than a removal spell. You can get a bunch of wacky stuff going with it.[/QUOTE]

I call super bullshit on you running plague in this meta, but concede radiant flames as a card. Forgot that one.

Secure the Wastes, your time will come.

Matriox

I call super bullshit on you running plague in this meta, but concede radiant flames as a card. Forgot that one.

Really? Hangarback Walker is everywhere and I could see a mardu-esque tokens deck start popping up with the new blood artist guy. I imagine it isn't unheard of to play Virulent Plague in sideboards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

EOT Secure the Wastes, swing with Drana plus team, Dromoka's Command the Radiant Flames.

Firemind

I don't know why people are mentioning Radiant Flames. Drown in Sorrow will be replaced by Languish, because red is a terrible colour for control and it's not worth screwing your mana base up. The turns you're fucking with tapped lands are going to cost you more games than the extra mana in Languish does. Also, Abzan gonna Abzan.

I don't know why people are mentioning Radiant Flames. Drown in Sorrow will be replaced by Languish, because red is a terrible colour for control and it's not worth screwing your mana base up. The turns you're fucking with tapped lands are going to cost you more games than the extra mana in Languish does. Also, Abzan gonna Abzan.

The reason Bring to light works with 5 colors is because you build the mana so you only need one color(blue) in the first two turns. Jace and Hangarback really help when you're setting up your colors for turn 3+. I regularly have all 5 colors in play by turn 4, and Jace, Crackling Doom, Siege Rhino is a pretty typical curve. I'm still working out the kinks here and there, but I'm extremely confident the deck works after playing dozens of games both on cockatrice and testing in paper with my roommate.

That said, it runs five copies of languish maindeck, with Jace and Den Pro for recursion.

Den Pro is the card I've been least impressed with in the deck, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom