• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It seems ingest is surprisingly annoying. It sort of nets you bizarro card advantage, especially if you start milling threats via luck.

OnPoint

Still 40, I think the only real chance to have to get decked in limited is if you run into Ulamog.

If that's the case then a couple extra cards isn't going to save you. Doesn't sound like it's really easy to hit 10 mana though, so it's such a small percentage threat even if someone drafts him.

ultron87

Eldrazi Skyspawner and Silent Skimmer were my two best performing commons of the weekend. Flying is so good.

Roilmage's Trick and Encircling Fissure were also great, since no one was playing around them yet, and unlike various cards like them in other sets, they work on both attack and defense.

Socat

Eldrazi Skyspawner and Silent Skimmer were my two best performing commons of the weekend. Flying is so good.

Roilmage's Trick and Encircling Fissure were also great, since no one was playing around them yet, and unlike various cards like them in other sets, they work on both attack and defense.

Silent Skimmer is pretty legit in limited. That and plated geopede just put a clock on people pretty well

Bandini

If that's the case then a couple extra cards isn't going to save you. Doesn't sound like it's really easy to hit 10 mana though, so it's such a small percentage threat even if someone drafts him.

It's actually surprisingly easy to hit 10 mana, there's a ton of ramp in this set and board stalemates are very common. Conduit of Ruin is a ridiculous Ulamog enabler.

It's actually surprisingly easy to hit 10 mana, there's a ton of ramp in this set and board stalemates are very common. Conduit of Ruin is a ridiculous Ulamog enabler.

But if you ramp and the opponent board stalls most likely they'll have 2 to 3 answers to your big threat in hand by the time you'll get to 10 mana.

Bandini

But if you ramp and the opponent board stalls most likely they'll have 2 to 3 answers to your big threat in hand at the time you'll get to 10 mana.

You get to exile their 2 biggest threats on cast, so even if Ulamog's countered, your opponent is still in trouble. Then the only answers that stop Ulamog are exile effects, so Stasis Snare and Quarantine Field if they're lucky enough to pull that, unless I'm forgetting something. If Ulamog hits the battlefield in limited, it's almost always a game win.

You get to exile their 2 biggest threats on cast, so even if Ulamog's countered, your opponent is still in trouble. Then the only answers that stop Ulamog are exile effects, so Stasis Snare and Quarantine Field if they're lucky enough to pull that, unless I'm forgetting something. If Ulamog hits the battlefield in limited, it's almost always a game win.

Yeah well all the answers are in UW and if he got them chances are good he went that colour for those. Also has access to a lot of fliers.

ultron87

Scour From Existence gets him too. He's definitely still worth it to build your deck to cast him. If you attack once the game is basically over, and even if they snap kill him it was a 3 for 1.

Kozilek's Channeler was the key card for me in making the big dudes castable. That lets you play the 7 and 8 drops without much trouble.

OnPoint

Socat

Lots of changes today: http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...banned-and-restricted-announcement-2015-09-28

Announcement Date: September 28, 2015

Effective Date: October 2, 2015

Magic Online Effective Date: October 7, 2015

Legacy:

Dig Through Time is banned.

Black Vise is unbanned.

Vintage:

Chalice of the Void is restricted.

Dig Through Time is restricted.

Thirst for Knowledge is unrestricted.

Would have liked to see some changes in Modern, if just for experimentation's sake.

Oh man Dig is gonna be worthless after Khans rotates, perfect for kitchen table.

Scour From Existence gets him too. He's definitely still worth it to build your deck to cast him. If you attack once the game is basically over, and even if they snap kill him it was a 3 for 1.

Kozilek's Channeler was the key card for me in making the big dudes castable. That lets you play the 7 and 8 drops without much trouble.

When my opponent got the manadork out I once tapped it down for 2 turns while awakening my land and beating down until he had to chump block with it

ironmang

Had a lot of omnitell put together too lol. Guess it's a good thing I was hedging a bit and picking up pieces for reanimator and getting the shared cards first (forces, show and tells, cities). Figured that's where I wanted to move when dig got banned. Just didn't expect it this quick lol.

ultron87

When my opponent got the manadork out I once tapped it down for 2 turns while awakening my land and beating down until he had to chump block with it

Well, yeah, sure. It is certainly possible to disrupt your opponent's plans for playing the big guys. To be successful the Eldrazi deck will need some smaller guys and especially stuff in the 4-6 range to hold down the ground. Or a bunch of removal. Channeler is actually good at that as well since a 5 mana 4/4 can block pretty well when it isn't on mana duty.

DSix

Banned
After a few drafts. I'm not yet sure I'm liking that meta too much, the landfall/ally/eldraexil effects are way too empowering and you pretty much have to build your deck specifically around one of those mechanics and not much else. It's giving me the feel that it is more shallow than Origin was (or am I crazy?).

Socat

The past two years have had bans right before the Modern Pro Tour. I could see them banning Deceiver, but really Modern has been much better since the Pod ban.

Modern Pro Tour is at around that time and Wizards likes to see cards need a ban via format warping(See Pod/TC/DTT)

Modern changes tend to happen before modern pro tours. I'd also only expect unbannings, if anything.

Makes sense, and I hope for only unbannings as well.

Well, yeah, sure. It is certainly possible to disrupt your opponent's plans for playing the big guys. To be successful the Eldrazi deck will need some smaller guys and especially stuff in the 4-6 range to hold down the ground. Or a bunch of removal. Channeler is actually good at that as well since a 5 mana 4/4 can block pretty well when it isn't on mana duty.

Totally I was just really scared of the card since the only disruption I had in hand were tap, tap, and bounce at the time and I knew my opponent played Desolation Twin. bouncing that is not a preferable option.

I played a dork myself and managed to get out the landfall angel turn 6 + a plains, brutal.

Lots of changes today: http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...banned-and-restricted-announcement-2015-09-28

Announcement Date: September 28, 2015

Effective Date: October 2, 2015

Magic Online Effective Date: October 7, 2015

Legacy:

Dig Through Time is banned.

Black Vise is unbanned.

Vintage:

Chalice of the Void is restricted.

Dig Through Time is restricted.

Thirst for Knowledge is unrestricted.

Welp, I have a flight booked for GP SeaTac and was going to play OmniTell...

What a terrible way to start the week off... :(

ironmang

Welp, I have a flight booked for GP SeaTac and was going to play OmniTell...

What a terrible way to start the week off... :(

If you're able to get the pieces of Sneak and Show it's not a bad idea to make that switch. It'll be at least on the verge of tier 1 since not a whole lot has been printed that's still around since the last time it was crushing tournaments. Probably going to be a resurgence of goyf decks which will push out the cabal therapy decks. We can once again experience the joy of watching the jund/bug player have their hymn sent right back at them with our misdirections.

Kacar

Here's what I'm going with, no idea if it will be good or not.

UB midrange colorless processor

Creatures (17)
4x Fathom Feeder
4x Wasteland Strangler
4x Ulamog's Nulifier
2x Erebos's Titan
3x Blight Herder

Spells (19)
4x Reality Shift
3x Transgress the mind
2x Read the Bones
3x Ruinous Path
4x Spell Shrivel
3x Treasure Cruise

Lands (24)
4x Bloodstained mire
4x Flooded Strand
4x Sunken Hollow
2x Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
5x Swamp
5x island

Sideboard (15)
3x Despise
3x Horribly Awry
3x Disdainful Stroke
3x Negate
3x Swarm Surge

Not sure about the Erebos's Titan but wanted something that could get through Lanquish and a wrath, Couldnt find anything better and wanted more creatures. I will probably replace him with Ob after a few FNMs if I can gather up the store credit. I'm mainly playing it cause I have all the fetches and 2 of the sunken hollows already.

Firemind

The past two years have had bans right before the Modern Pro Tour. I could see them banning Deceiver, but really Modern has been much better since the Pod ban.
Why not just ban Splinter Twin? Banning Deceiver would do nothing but shift the issue to Bell-Ringer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think so either, but you know, kirblar.

its kirblar tho
KuGsj.gif

that's like relying on bigkrev for an honest evaluation of hexproof

Speaking of Dig Through Time, here's my most current 5C list for standard:

draft27xuf5.png

This style of deck really, really wants an Ob Nixilis or two. Damn you bring to Light!

They should unban Dark Depths. It would slot right into that sweet Knight of the Reliquary/Retreat to Coralhelm deck everyone's been brewing. XD

They really should, just so I have another reason to buy a Marit Lage token outside Commander. Modern is already a bunch of fucked up combo decks anyway with poor disruption, so who cares.

MjFrancis

I have a "budget" Twin list and it's less linear and more interactive than my Naya Burn and Mono-Green Stompy decks could ever be. And both those decks have game against Twin mainboard and additional help in the sideboard. Admittedly games 2 and 3 are usually more fun but it's one of the more fair combo decks in Modern. There are tons of ways to stop the combo, unlike, say, a T2 Hive Mind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180173812]Speaking of Dig Through Time, here's my most current 5C list for standard:

draft27xuf5.png

This style of deck really, really wants an Ob Nixilis or two. Damn you bring to Light![/QUOTE]

You have no plays until turn 4 most of the time unless you rearrange your fetch triggers to get a Crackling Doom on Turn 3, but a large amount of the time this involves fetching for basics and locking yourself out of some other relevant color because you're running so many colors.

If you're gonna potentially lock yourself out of a color and hope for land drops later, your one possible turn 3 play shouldn't be Crackling Doom, it should be Radiant Flames imo.

Angry Grimace

Its not a knock on either of those guys, its just that everyone has shit they hate, being the entire Modern format, Siege Rhino, Splinter Twin, Hexproof, etc.

It's not like your'e going to get a good answer from me about mono-red aggro, especially non-poor players who bring it to FNM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom