• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Is Bring to Light your only red card though? That's what I'm saying. Radiant Flames isn't worth splashing if you want to reliably cast it on turn three.

Wichu

I got Ob Nixilis and Canopy Vista at the Saturday prerelease and nothing else of note.

The Sunday prerelease was the same.
I can't complain too much about getting a second Vista for Standard and Ob-ing a fresh round of opponents though :p

traveler

Not Wario
Had a decent amount of fun at prerelease. Didn't pull anything I had any desire to own/sell, but felt my pool was solid for building. Went blue/red control, had a couple key misplays and ended up going 2-2 mainly due to underestimating how fast some archetypes in the format are. While this is probably the single most disappointing set I've ever seen released while actively playing the game from a constructed/kitchen table/edh perspective, I do think there are enough interactions going on in limited that, if all the archetypes hinted at are viable, it'll be a decent format.

Looking into getting into standard for the very first time and debating what to invest in. I could wait until the metagame settles down a bit in a month or so, but I'd like to start playing now and have basically no playables aside from some fetches I got a few weeks back at PAX.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I did 3 events this weekend and I have to say that sealed feels kind of clunky. Hard to really get the right cards to make your archtype unless you get very lucky. I did have fun though, and opened an expedition Overgrown Tomb. Draft looks to be really promising though, but I think I'm going to pass on the MTGO prerelease sealed event and just wait for drafts.

Is Bring to Light your only red card though? That's what I'm saying. Radiant Flames isn't worth splashing if you want to reliably cast it on turn three.
I'm playing 4 Crackling Doom main.

Honestly, if you're playing a control version of BTL, I'd consider 2 Radiant Flames main board. I don't know what your current list is but a lot of them I've seen don't have any plays at all Turns 1-3.

Yeah, I'm still playing around with the numbers. I've got a couple flex spots for both my lands and spells in the maindeck, and the sideboard could be anything.

Here's what my deck looks like right now, I'm comfortable with most of the choices. Not everything, though:

pretty colors said:
draft39uvk.png

I'm really happy with how many of the new lands I was able to get yesterday. Makes acquiring the remainder of the deck a lot less intense.

To be honest, neither of the manlands has been especially impressive. I may wind up cutting both or just keeping the vent. I could even see going down to 25 lands and adding a couple more early plays like Anticipate or something. Finding things to play on two without ruining the mana has been an interesting challenge. Fathom Feeder is a bit of a stretch because if you're fetching a tango on one it's usually the UB one which forces you to get basic swamp on two which kills your 3-mana instants. UW on turn one is fine, but you only have 4 fetches for basic swamps. Anticipate isn't super high impact, but it's a consideration.

I'm actually interested in playing Clever Impersonator somewhere in the 75, it's worth testing.

Lee N

Membre
I've had a pretty lucky week in Magic.

I pulled a foil Abrupt Decay on Wednesday, and a Jace the day after that.

Then I attended two BfZ prerelease events this weekend and got some really good stuff.

Two Zendikar Expedition Lands (Smoldering Marsh, and Godless Shrine), Gideon and Kiora, Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger, Dragonmaster Outcast, Part the Waterveil, Canopy Vista, Prairie Stream, Sunken Hollow, to mention a couple.

I mean, those are some pretty ridiculous pulls...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
1-1 with Esper Controlling thing with Ingest. It surprisingly worked twice. That 2W Fog spell is BS.

Going over my prerelease now in more detail. As I mentioned before, I went 3-3 and pulled a foil Gideon. And I'd still like to know how I should sell it.

Unusually, I changed colors throughout the draft. I started out red-blue-green, then quickly dropped red for white before the first match due to my need for more removal. After the first match, though I won 2-0, I decided to exchange blue for red, resulting in red-green-white, since there were red cards that I wanted to run and I wasn't running many blue cards anyway. I did have the green-blue manland, so it was a shame to drop that, though. I changed out cards over the course of the game, and when I laid them out now, I realized that in the end, I was only running two green cards, and not particularly impressive ones, so I probably should have dropped it.

White cards:
1x Gideon's Reproach - Instant - 1W - This was pretty good, though many creatures were too big for it.
1x Angelic Gift - Enchantment - 1W - I put this in after seeing just how important flying was, and this was surprisingly helpful.
1x Stasis Snare - Enchantment - 1WW - GOAT
1x Makindi Patrol - Creature - 2W - This was decent, I guess.
1x Shadow Glider - Creature - 2W - This was pretty good.
1x Smite the Monstrous - Instant - 3W - Good removal.
1x Courier Griffin - Creature - 3W - I don't think I was ever saved by the life gain, but a 2/3 flying creature is fine.
1x Ondu Greathorn - Creature - 3W - Surprisingly helpful.
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar - Planeswalker - 2WW - GOAT. There was a great moment where I had Resolute Blademaster out and was able to retrigger the double strike with Gideon's Ally production, winning. My usual pattern was to start out with Gideon's +0 to create an Ally then keep turning him into a creature with his +1. I only used his -4 once, using it to win the game. There was one game when I kept on hammering an opponent with Gideon as a creature, bringing him down to 1, but then he used Quarantine Field to get rid of Gideon and I lost that game. The next game, he beat me again with a topdecked Quarantine Field to take out two of my guys.

Red cards:
1x Makindi Sliderunner - Creature - 1R - This was always just part of a winning flood of creatures, it never did anything on its own.
2x Nettle Drone - Creature - 2R - This is the main reason I wanted to play red. I loved going "end of turn, ping", and it was nice as an attacker on a clear board. One time, I gave it Angelic Gift and my opponent had to use Tightening Coils on it, which counts as a win for me. I wasn't able to untap it often, but it was a good target for vigilance from Sandstone Bridge.
1x Valakut Invoker - Creature - 2R - I never got to use the activated ability, unfortunately.
1x Ondu Champion - Creature - 2RR - I put this in later, the trample didn't come in use during that time.
1x Turn Against - Instant - 4R - Now this was a fun card! Though I only cast it twice. The first time, I finished off my opponent with his own creature and gave it Angelic Gift to get past his blockers. The second time, my opponent attacked with her phoenix and I gained control of it to block her attacking 4/3 wurm, taking both of them out.
1x Stonefury - Instant - 3RR - I put this in before the last match, but I was only able to take out a Scythe Leopard with it.
1x Barrage Tyrant - Creature - 4R - I wasn't able to sacrifice anything to it.

Green cards:
1x Giant Mantis - Creature - 3G - This was a good blocker.
1x Territorial Baloth - Creature - 4G - This was a good attacker.

Multicolored and colorless cards:
1x Resolute Blademaster - Creature - 3RW - Though this guy was rarely a finisher, he was still good at clearing away all of my opponent's creatures. He was a finisher once, though.
1x Bane of Bala Ged - Creature - 7 - I never got my opponent to exile anything with this, since it was often a finisher and my opponent would concede.
1x Endless One - Creature - X - This card was amazing, I was surprised. My opponent brings out a 3/3, I bring out a 4/4. He has a 4/4, I bring out a 5/5. I even used it as a 2/2 once and it was still useful.

Land cards:
1x Sandstone Bridge - This was pretty helpful.
6x Plains
7x Mountain
4x Forest
I had other good Limited cards like Oran-Rief Hydra, Lumbering Falls, Guardian of Tazeem, Ugin's Insight, Exert Influence,

I also pulled Undergrowth Champion out of my prize packs.

Violet_0

Banned
couldn't make it to the pre-release this weekend unfortunately, guess I'll have to wait for Oathkeepers and play a few drafts in the meantime

Went to a prerelease had fun with friends. First time playing other people at a cards shop and not using proxies/ a friends edh deck. Went 2-2 with a red/blue eldrazi deck.
rares I got were Shambling Vent, From Beyond, Sunken Hollow, Cinder Glade, Angelic Captain, and Defiant Bloodlord. Serpentine Spike as the promo card.

Breaker of Armies was the champion for me. Had 2 Kozilek Channelers and a Herald of Kozilek to ramp to it and Eldrazi Devastator.

Fun time when an opponent used the mana leak like card and I paid for it with the 3 lands and a scion he didn't account for.

I can't decide if I'm going to stick with Mardu as my game plan for BFZ standard or go Naya. Naya has the better Mana base by far but Mardu gives me access to Mardu Charm+ Drana.

I had really good intentions of hitting a pre-release today, lol. Didn't happen :( I started watching Interstellar at 130 AM because I'm a fucking idiot, haha. Good lord, that's a fairly long movie. Alas.

It seems like the pre-release packs were stacked a bit. I do want to try to hit up a few drafts of this set and depending on prices, I might actually build a shitty Standard deck for MTGO.

PS: Am I way off-base with being semi-annoyed at the "Manland" debate / situation going on right now with many people? Is this really a discussion? Manland is a convenient assonance. Ladyland is a late-to-the-table alliteration that I can get behind but, in reality, it has baggage. Lady is such a specific word... Anyway, I don't mind if everyone calls them Creature Lands, it's just super interesting. Has there always been this much debate RE: names of lands in other sets (I started playing in Theros).

ZeroX03

Banned
I pulled two Guardian of Tazeem. Stomped my first three matches with them, but they didn't show up for my final two. They are very scary and the landfall can save you from other bombs.

hermit7

Went 2-2 today with a BW allies deck that had a bunch of removal in the form of stasis field and quarantine zone. Also had 2 of the black 3 mana exile power 3 or less.

Going white was a good choice but all my creatures were really low to the ground so I didn't have many high powered creatures.

Best play was the third match in which I played desolation twin got my two 10/10 and then cast quarantine field for x=3 and was able to wipe their board.

For my first prerelease I was pretty happy might start doing more drafts.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
This prerelease was my first tournament ever. I was a little nervous going in, but it was a very positive experience. No earthshaking cards, but notables were Fathom Feeder, Catacomb Sifter, and Guardian of Tazeem.

I ended up playing agressive red/devoid (colorless that cost red to cast) and blue. I had some devoid/colorless synergies and blue was mainly defense except for Tazeem. My reflections from my games are as follows.

The colorless eldrazi synergies are interesting. Nettledrone alone was really annoying for one opponent.

Clutching Coils was great to either deal with flyers or neutralize a turn 7 eldrazi.

A cycle of slabhammer and looming spires gave +2/+2 and +1/+1 first strike every turn. Any of the other enter the battlefield effect lands could be used the same way, plus triggering any other landfall effects.

I haven't played Magic in a decade and even then I had never played in a tournament. I got stomped my first match, but I one my next two. My favorite moment was in my third game. I had three creatures he had two but we were basically in a standoff. He draws his seventh mana and plays Bane of Bala Ged, which would have decided it except I had held onto Turn Against with allowed me to take Bane on my turn and win.

Overall I think I agree with many of the reviews. The set seems a little slow and clunky. Most matches seemed to involve fumbling around for 5 turns, then a giant eldrazi would come and settle things one way or another. It was still a fun time, and I am looking forward to the next event.

hort

Neo Member
My favorite thing I did at the pre release was using looming spires to give my opponents 3/3 skyrider elf +1/+1 so I could use smite the monstrous to kill it. It was his only creature out at the time so I was then able to swing with my full team.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, the set felt perfectly fine in Sealed, better than Origins did for sure.

Guy across from me got a Flooded Strand on the first pack. The best rare I got across two prereleases was a Fathom Feeder. Card kicks ass though.

A guy 5-0'd and I asked how he did it and he was like "I just got lucky." We asked to see his pool: Drana, two Ob Nixilis, Lantern Scout and several of the life gain vampires.

OnPoint

Honestly, the set felt perfectly fine in Sealed, better than Origins did for sure.

Guy across from me got a Flooded Strand on the first pack. The best rare I got across two prereleases was a Fathom Feeder. Card kicks ass though.

A guy 5-0'd and I asked how he did it and he was like "I just got lucky." We asked to see his pool: Drana, two Ob Nixilis, Lantern Scout and several of the life gain vampires.

So yeah then, he got lucky haha

While waiting for BfZ to hit MTGO, I made a U/W Willbreaker deck. The MVP so far?

Quiet%2BContemplation%2B%255BKTK%255D.jpg

Since Willbreaker's chicanery triggers when you target, you never have to pay 1, you just get to pick a free creature every time you Dig or counter or whatever. Citadel Siege and Jace's +1 are also great for stealing stuff. It's allowed me to devote the majority of the deck to good control cards and not the usual crap I've seen in other Willbreaker lists. The deck isn't super consistent yet but god is it fun.

y2dvd

Went 4-0 again with this deck.

Jeebus, does RU have a crap ton of removals. I had a total of 8 removals, 6 of them being low cmc commons.

The games where I won, I dominated. Makindi Sliderunner backed with Gideon's Reproach meant my trample dmg was still getting through. Same goes for Vestige of Emrakul. Valakut Predator was absurd on offense and felt more like an uncommon card. The commons are also nuts in RU.

So I'm 8-0 for the weekend. I'm pretty happy as I usually do terrible in sealed. I got no luck opening money cards though. Oh well. Not sure how draft will go yet but it looks like this set will be fine.

ironmang

Went 2-2 drop in my 3rd prerelease. Deck was definitely unplayable and only managed to win against players who were clearly very new. Getting 3 rare lands and only one one bomb in Akoum Firebird wasn't the best of feelings. Making it worse was having to play 4 colors and one 2 drop just to have a 40 of non-horrible cards. Usually get a pool like this once every block which sucks but is just how it goes. I'm a degenerate so it won't stop me from going to 3 more prereleases next set if I'm able to attend lol.

Yeef

Curving out with allies is pretty hard to beat. Had a few games where I went Vigilance Ally into Haste Ally into Double Strike Ally into +2/+2 Ally. Thanks to From Beyond, I even had one game where I was able to play the +2/+2 Ally, into the Haste Ally, then play a land for a 1/1 Kor Ally 1 while I had Retreat to Emeria and the Double Strike Ally on board.

Even though allies and eldrazi nonsense are a lot of fun, i think the strongest deck (in sealed at least) is just WU tempo with lots of fliers and awaken spells.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Went 4-1 with R/W, barely lost in a mirror match, came in 3rd at at 50 person pre release.

Cheap fast allies with flyers and removal are definitely the way to go. I got zero bombs and zero value in my cards and was furious when the guy across from me opened both gideon and ob, figured I was in for a 0-5 night. But speed really does make a huge difference with this set.

Curving out with allies is pretty hard to beat. Had a few games where I went Vigilance Ally into Haste Ally into Double Strike Ally into +2/+2 Ally. Thanks to From Beyond, I even had one game where I was able to play the +2/+2 Ally, into the Haste Ally, then play a land for a 1/1 Kor Ally 1 while I had Retreat to Emeria and the Double Strike Ally on board.

Even though allies and eldrazi nonsense are a lot of fun, i think the strongest deck (in sealed at least) is just WU tempo with lots of fliers and awaken spells.

I went 2-1, 1-2, and 3-0 this weekend. I was very surprised.

Pre 1: I opened my money card, but my rares were split 3-black, 4-white/red. The power cards were in red and white, but I didn't have enough cards to make a 40. I ended up filling the back end of the curve with Eldrazi. It ended up being an Ally deck much like described earlier and if I don't kill you, my Eldrazi come in. My only loss was a well fought match.

Pre 2: I also went red/white, but with a far worse pool. However, it cemented how strong the allies in red and white were (haste, lifeline, vigilance, double-strike, ...)

Pre 3: My rares were duals, but the pool said red/white again. I didn't want to do that, so I intenionally used my third and fourth best colors. One rare in it, but oddly, I went 3-0. Blue/black heavy swarm. The black creatures were very well costed and devoid. My blue supplied flying and unlock able. I even countered a spell with that Flash guy!

Edit: MVP: Swarm Surge. Scion tokens from the blue guys and the intentionally killed carrier thralls always meant I was getting a minimum of +14 attack each time I cast it to win.

Crocodile

I usually do more but I only had time for one pre-release flight this weekend. Went Bant Converge/Midrange with a lot of bounce/tempo spells in U & W and some good green dudes. Lost only one match (I get manascrewed G1, opponent gets manascrewed G2, I get manascrewed G3 - fun!). I got to Awaken Part the Waterveil a few times and it was fun. Not much to say besides that. Didn't open any real money in my sealed packs or prize packs :/

As for the set, it seems alright I guess. I didn't really have much a strong opinion on it overall. Awaken was sweet while Ingest & Process was almost impossible to get working for basically anybody I saw that weekend.

Angry Grimace

I usually do more but I only had time for one pre-release flight this weekend. Went Bant Converge/Midrange with a lot of bounce/tempo spells in U & W and some good green dudes. Lost only one match (I get manascrewed G1, opponent gets manascrewed G2, I get manascrewed G3 - fun!). I got to Awaken Part the Waterveil a few times and it was fun. Not much to say besides that. Didn't open any real money in my sealed packs or prize packs :/

As for the set, it seems alright I guess. I didn't really have much a strong opinion on it overall. Awaken was sweet while Ingest & Process was almost impossible to get working for basically anybody I saw that weekend.

I wish the counterspell processor didn't require 2 cards. It's a bit excessive.

Unbelievable what you can draft in 4 man new player phantom drafts.

Yesterday I got completely blown out by a BW elves deck with eyeblight massacre today I drafted an almost mono red deck with 3 Fiery Impulses an Exquisite Firecraft and a ravaging blaze. Can't really ask for more.

Socat

My prerelease went pretty well. 3-0 first 3 rounds and split the last round because it was 4am and got 7 packs. Nothing amazing from the pool or prize packs, but was really fun. Was playing B/W/R but had Oblivion Sower to ramp into Desolation Twin, which is fun shit. Rd 3 Sower exiled an Ulamog, much salt flowed after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom