• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you people hate any card that is not shit? Snapcaster is powerful, but it's fine. Not every card has to be this dull ass tableau of barely playable and boring design. Anything that isn't a vanilla creature gets talked about like it's Black Lotus or Ancestral Recall. People whine about things that barely mattered like Annihilation and we get fucking Ingest as a result.

Snapcaster is fine. Twin is fine. Infect is fine. Three mana, fringe playable counterspells are fine. Siege Rhino sucks ass but is fine.

Chill.

It's a cool card but it's not a fair card.

Should a creature really be a counter or a bolt, or a cantrip, or a command,... at instant speed with a 2/1 body

Why do you people hate any card that is not shit? Snapcaster is powerful, but it's fine. Not every card has to be this dull ass tableau of barely playable and boring design. Anything that isn't a vanilla creature gets talked about like it's Black Lotus or Ancestral Recall. People whine about things that barely mattered like Annihilation and we get fucking Ingest as a result.

Snapcaster is fine. Twin is fine. Infect is fine. Three mana, fringe playable counterspells are fine. Siege Rhino sucks ass but is fine.

Chill.

kirblar evaluates Magic from the perspective of a designer more than he does the perspective of a player.

Development goofs in terms of power level are fun for players - well, they're fun for the subset of players who like that sort of thing. For example, Storm is a gigantic development mistake. It's also my favorite type of deck to play by a country mile.

I would argue that Magic is better for having mistakes in power level. I also think its much better for Magic when those mistakes are truly accidental mistakes or misjudging power level. Treasure Cruise, for example, is a really really sweet card. I love that spell so so much. It's a massive screw-up in terms of power level. I love seeing that sort of thing happen to Magic. What I don't like is when they deliberately try to build broken shit - see True-Name Nemesis.

Broken cards are inevitably going to escape through the doors of WotC. It's exciting when they do. It's important to understand what makes them broken and try not to repeat those mistakes, but it's also important not to get caught up in them and see those mistakes as detrimental.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And it's still a mistake.

Yes, mistakes are powerful OP cards that people like playing. Still doesn't make them not mistakes.

It's a card game. If people like playing with it and it's not destructive to the game, then it's not a mistake. A mistake is something like Treasure Cruise which is destructive to the game is is banned before it even rotates out of standard. A mistake is Memory Jar, which was banned before release is a mistake. A mistake isn't a card that is powerful, yet hardly ubiquitous in any format.

Snapcaster is a card pushed to the limit of power, but it's not a mistake by any real definition of the word as it pertains to the game.

It's a cool card but it's not a fair card.

Should a creature really be a counter or a bolt, or a cantrip, or a command,... at instant speed with a 2/1 body

We're well beyond the Craw Wurm days. Every creature that is playable is a creature + spell combination.

El Topo

Don't get the problem people have with Snapcaster Mage, other than its color.

Broken cards are inevitably going to escape through the doors of WotC. It's exciting when they do. It's important to understand what makes them broken and try not to repeat those mistakes, but it's also important not to get caught up in them and see those mistakes as detrimental.

I'm honestly not sure if I still believe MaRo's narrative when it comes to these mistakes.

We're well beyond the Craw Wurm days. Every creature that is playable is a creature + spell combination.

Unless they are tarmo.

Anyways it's not the combination of a creature + a spell but a creature + any instant or sorcery spell in your graveyard at instant speed. It's the versatility that makes it so good and not completely fair.

WanderingWind

tumblr_nug55lLOSZ1s9rpajo1_500.gif

I'm bad mythics and false scarcity pricing. Others are power levels. Etc.

red13th

I like Siege Rhino, wish I had room for it in my Cube.
FRF was great because of how they made versatile wedge cards like Tasigur/Warden of the First Tree (playable in two guilds and in a wedge instead of requiring wedge mana). I wish they made the same for shards, but if they did it would probably be in a supplemental set and not modern legal :(

Firemind

I don't doubt red would have the best record considering the decks people end up with when half the table is forcing blue, and I still think it's a bad reason. But they are right to cater to the people who actually play their cube, I don't and I wouldn't even if they had viable mono red.
I hope they don't have Armageddon/Ravages of War if they are so concerned about having fun doing """"sweet things""" in cube though, otherwise their reasoning is disingenuous.
the cube has both armageddon and ravages of war.

it's all subjective innit. people like to play consecrated sphinx and draw a lot of cards, which is sweet, but also dumb because it requires little thought. upheaval? sweet but dumb as hell with any kind of ramping.

i think the reason mono red did well in past cube iterations is because it's piss easy to draft. like, any dumbass could do it. you then proceed to pwn because no one else in the draft bloody knows how to draft a proper strategy. they think "oh man this six drop is pretty sweet" and promptly gloss over ramp or ways to stay alive like wall of omens/blossoms, obstinate baloth, cheap conditional removal. or they draft five different combo enabler/payoff cards instead of focusing on one or two. or they try to draft storm and fail epically. like me.

i'm all for dumbing down mono red if it's parasitic, but it's not. it's basically unplayable in its current state.

kirblar

People acting like there are "rules" to cube building is one of the most absurd things I can recall.

edit: Ok, don't put Vampires as a theme in a high-powered Legacy cube might be one.

WanderingWind

People acting like there are "rules" to cube building is one of the most absurd things I can recall.

edit: Ok, don't put Vampires as a theme in a high-powered Legacy cube might be one.

Totes agree. Put cards together that you want to play with, balance the colors out so everybody isn't mono the same deck and have fun.

Hero

There are definitely rules to cube if you want a fun, balanced cube that people will want to play again. I have played some miserable cubes.

Yeef

I wouldn't say there are universal rules for building a cube, but, just like any set, there are strong guidelines for developing it and making sure it's balanced.

I tend to prefer cubes to have some sort of gimmick. I do have one 'regular' cube, but all of my other cubes have some sort of hook. I have a cube that's all about color (lots of hybrid cards and cards that care about color). I have a "draft format cube" where you actually build packs out of 1 rare, 4 uncommons and 10 commons. I'm working on a 'tiny' cube where everything has CMC 3 or less and a "Black & White" cube where every card must have either black or white mana in its color identity.

I've played powered cube, which is a lot of fun as long as you don't do it too often. I've also played bad cube; a cube that purposely includes awful cards like takklemaggot; and that's also fun in its own way.

There's so many different ways to build cubes; that's what makes cube so great to begin with.

kirblar

There are definitely rules to cube if you want a fun, balanced cube that people will want to play again. I have played some miserable cubes.
I'm talking about people who expect all powered cubes to play X way, for example. Those expecting cookie-cutter stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My cube rule is "force Tooth and Nail"

This in fact works all of the time in Holiday Cube, I have a pretty good record in Holiday Cube :lol

There are really only two rules for Cubes:

1) Your cube's gimmick should be able to be explained in one sentence.

2) Your cube shouldn't have any traps (i.e., if your cube can't really support Storm, don't put Tendrils of Agony in it).

Hero

I'm talking about people who expect all powered cubes to play X way, for example. Those expecting cookie-cutter stuff.

Ah, I get what you're saying. I can see it both ways, there are certain cards that people come to expect but as long as the power level is relatively close I think it's okay to stray from the norm. Blue is super easy to make oppressive and the best color and probably the biggest mistake most cube builders fall into initially for example.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

2) Your cube shouldn't have any traps (i.e., if your cube can't really support Storm, don't put Tendrils of Agony in it).

Eureka and Show and Tell are traps, but they keep them in because players like drafting them even when they lose.

Man, I got a ton of Pucapoints for those stupid dual lands that are going to be like $4 in a few weeks.

Eureka and Show and Tell are traps, but they keep them in because players like drafting them even when they lose.

They're traps in the sense that you're not likely to win when you play them, but you can absolutely draft an awesome Eureka/Show and Tell deck that does what its supposed to do. It's almost impossible to draft a playable Tendrils deck outside of Power cube.

Angry Grimace

They're traps in the sense that you're not likely to win when you play them, but you can absolutely draft an awesome Eureka/Show and Tell deck that does what its supposed to do. It's almost impossible to draft a playable Tendrils deck outside of Power cube.

I once played a guy who successfully drafted Storm and beat me in a VMA draft. He had Mox Sapphire in his pool. Fuck that guy.

One word, ideally. So if you've got "Vampire Cube", people know to play something else.

Firemind

Man, I got a ton of Pucapoints for those stupid dual lands that are going to be like $4 in a few weeks.
You draft Show and Tell as an additional way to dump Emrakul/Griselbrand into play, not as a build-around card. Show and Tell isn't Tinker. Eureka is just a bad Channel, but sometimes you need a bad Channel.

I once played a guy who successfully drafted Storm and beat me in a VMA draft. He had Mox Sapphire in his pool. Fuck that guy.
VMA has High Tide, so not that surprising.

Angry Grimace

You draft Show and Tell as an additional way to dump Emrakul/Griselbrand into play, not as a build-around card. Show and Tell isn't Tinker. Eureka is just a bad Channel, but sometimes you need a bad Channel.

I once drafted a monstrosity in Holiday Cube with Emrakul, Progenitus and Tooth and Nail. 3-0, baby.

I only have one rule when it comes to the MTGO cube:

Play Armageddon and Ravages of War every time.

Every time I don't, I do miserably.

Mirari's Wake is another pet card I tend to force if I see it early.

Hero

Last time I cubed I drafted both Eureka and Channel with Kozilek and Simic Sky Swallower as two fatties. One game I played Eureka and my opponent had Emrakrul so I lost that but swept every other game.

Of course, Tezzeret 1 and Time Vault in different packs both wheeled so I drafted then and got free wins that way, but that's totally their fault for letting it happen.

I once drafted a monstrosity in Holiday Cube with Emrakul, Progenitus and Tooth and Nail. 3-0, baby.

In my favorite Cube win ever, my opponent used Natural Order to put in Progenitus with me on 20 and him on 18. I attacked him with Tradewind Rider and ninjitsu'd a Sakashima's Student when he didn't (couldn't) block.

With Turn Against, I hope we start getting more instant Act of Treason / Threaten effects in red. There is some decent design space there. Some ideas:

Sudden Betrayal - 2R
Instant
Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains first strike until end of turn.

The neat thing about this is that giving the creature first strike actually makes the effect weaker, since you can only destroy one of your opponent's creatures, and thus it can appear at a lower cost. It doesn't give the creature haste, so you can't attack with it, but there is the benefit of untapping your own creature and giving it first strike.

Mirroring Flames - 1R
Instant
Put a token that's a copy of target attacking creature onto the battlefield. Exile that token at the beginning of the next end step.

Useful against (or with) Siege Rhino.

Battle Craze - 3R
Instant
Gain control of target creature that is not attacking or blocking until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn.

In my favorite Cube win ever, my opponent used Natural Order to put in Progenitus with me on 20 and him on 18. I attacked him with Tradewind Rider and ninjitsu'd a Sakashima's Student when he didn't (couldn't) block.

I adore Order into Progenitus. If I'm G/x, I'll sometimes snag a Progenitus that goes by, just cuz.

My favorite ever play in cube was the T1 - Swamp, Dark Rit, Entomb (Griselbrand), Exhume. I like to be the nice guy when I'm playing EDH, but I'll be the biggest asshole in a draft.

kirblar

With Phyrexian Mana I thought putting it on Instants/Sorceries was a mistake.
With Devoid I thought putting it on permanents was a mistake.

At least I'm internally consistent. :p

WanderingWind

Even I have to admit Phyrexian mana was touchy. I'm glad we got it, but I know we're never going to get it again at any sort of playable level. That's probably for the best, but damn if I don't still love Mutagenic Growth. Nobody ever expects Mutagenic Growth.

kirblar

Even I have to admit Phyrexian mana was touchy. I'm glad we got it, but I know we're never going to get it again at any sort of playable level. That's probably for the best, but damn if I don't still love Mutagenic Growth. Nobody ever expects Mutagenic Growth.
I think we'll get it playable again, but holy shit just keep it to artifacts- you can balance it on permanents far, far better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why have supertypes at all? Just turn them into modular tags

Nonsense Spell
Tags: Artifact, Land, Enchantment, Sorcery, Creature
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool
2/1

Angry Grimace

just play a different game where you can make new rules up

Yeef

I mean, the justification for tribal being a supertype was always dumb to me for this reason.

"But creature types aren't anything else's types!" YOU JUST MADE THAT UP
Tribal is a type, not a super type.

Also, all of the rules are made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom