• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
What I don't like is when they deliberately try to build broken shit - see True-Name Nemesis.
True-Name Nemesis isn't a problem because it's broken; there are better creatures in Legacy. True-Name Nemesis is a problem because it's the least interactive creature in the game and an incredibly unfun card that makes you feel unclean when you use it.

The worst part is that White's best cheap token Generator is rotating despite it being not overpowered in any way. Plus, it would have totally been in flavor for Origins.

Otherwise, I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking just going BR, but White has some really good token cards

Let's brew. What are some token generators that could be playable?

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Secure the Wastes
Mardu Strike Leader
Dragon Fodder
Descent of the Dragons
Hordeling Outburst
Sorin, Solemn Visitor
Mardu Charm

After that, what are some support cards, if any, that could be useful?

Hero

The curveout argument is a variance thing where you don't want to become VS system. Nothing to do with skill, just avoiding making that a dominant strategy.

EoT are "skill" in the same way that damage on the stack was "skill" - i.e., it's not, it's just something you can leverage and is nearly always correct to do so when possible.

If playing something EoT sent someone back into their main phase, there'd be a lot more tension there. Alas, there's not really a way to do that.

The problem with a Counter/Think Twice deck is that it never has to make decisions during its turn for the most part. It just sits on its ass and plays in the opponent's end step. I've played decks like this when they're good. It's just that they make the opponent's life miserable when they're good. Instant Card Draw is something they toned back years ago, then decided to push again for the past 5 years (INN till now) and now appear to have realized "oh yeah, no, we had it right the first time"

Think Twice in standard along with Snapcaster Mage and Mana Leak was too strong. I remember running Invisible Stalkers and Runechanters Pikes for a while too. Draw go is not fun.

Let's brew. What are some token generators that could be playable?

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Secure the Wastes
Mardu Strike Leader
Dragon Fodder
Descent of the Dragons
Hordeling Outburst
Sorin, Solemn Visitor
Mardu Charm

After that, what are some support cards, if any, that could be useful?

Since we'd be likely running 3 Colours, maybe Unified Front? It's an Ally producing Secure the Wastes in a 3 Colour deck. It's not as flexible as Secure the wastes, but it's not terrible. Monastery Mentor would fit in well as a pseudo Rabblemaster considering she's able to generate an additional token whenever you play a non creature(Which this deck has a lot of).

Supportwise, Going wide means the deck would more prone to Languish. I don't think there's any way to prevent it unless there's some easy way to buff the whole team somehow. Maybe Mardu Ascendancy for it's Sac effect?

Ashodin

99739.jpg
+
105628.jpg

aww yiss get stuff back I discarded anyway

Yeef

A Temur deck without Wild Slash or Crater's Claws is not a Temur deck.

Also, I never understood why this was a thing:

eyegouge.jpg

They should have printed some BOMB cyclops in Theros, then dropped that card in the next set or so.
It was a top-down card, like a lot of cards in the block.

Bleh
sigmasonicx asked: With Turn Against, are we going to see more instant Act of Treason / Threaten effects in red in the future? I think the gameplay is fun and it fits better in red than blue, even if it does have defensive applications.

Us doing it once does not mean it’s going to be a regular thing.

I think SSX wants it as a basic effect.

I do think it's something that should see use more than once every couple of years, especially with all the complaints of red being pigeonholed. It's an ability that could be made unique to red and wouldn't just be a downgraded version of something blue does all the time.

Im pretty new to the whole magic scene, only started playing like 2 months ago or so. So im pretty excited for my first Launch of a new set of Magic. Im thinking of picking up the Blue/Green and Red/Black Intro decks because i want to make an eldrazi deck, but not sure what kind yet. My question is, how fast do intro decks sell out on release days? Or just how often does Magic in General Sell out on release days.

Socat

Im pretty new to the whole magic scene, only started playing like 2 months ago or so. So im pretty excited for my first Launch of a new set of Magic. Im thinking of picking up the Blue/Green and Red/Black Intro decks because i want to make an eldrazi deck, but not sure what kind yet. My question is, how fast do intro decks sell out on release days? Or just how often does Magic in General Sell out on release days.

not often if at all, unless its a specialty thing like Modern Masters

Matriox

You may run into an issue finding Fat Packs due to the full art lands, but otherwise you should be able to find intro packs just fine.

Firemind

I had an idea for a Barbarian-themed land destruction EDH deck.

How come are there literally no barbarians in Tarkir? One of the clans is even supposed to be based off the Mongol Empire! #freethebarbarians

And before you respond with warriors, it's too broad a term. I want specifics in my lore darnit! And since we're on the subject, bring back dwarves and kobolds!

Edit: also ponies

dat flavour
it's a rare

OnPoint

They really need to bring back several tribes and races properly

Which ones would I like to see?

Dwarves, Barbarians, Atogs, Kobolds, Goblins (like, for real), Eldrazi (lol), Homarids

I mostly jest about Eldrazi (even though they missed the mark) and Homarids. But the others I mean it.

MjFrancis

Also, I never understood why this was a thing:

eyegouge.jpg

They should have printed some BOMB cyclops in Theros, then dropped that card in the next set or so.
Cute interaction during RtR/Theros Standard: one mana "Destroy target activated Mutavault" spell. No one ever saw it coming, because who plays Eye Gouge in Constructed anything?

OnPoint

If I'm being honest, I think Dwarves have a lot of room to grow and flourish as a race. I think dwarves would be red/white and have an emphasis on equipment, specifically, the making of or tutoring for. I think they'd be stout, so smallish creatures with higher toughness than power, and maybe somehow represent the bonds of their society through strength through numbers.

Examples:

Creature - Dwarf Blacksmith

When Dwarven Swordsmith enters the
battlefield, put a Dwarven Blade equipment
token onto the the battlefield that says
"Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and Double Strike
1: Equip"

3/4​

Creature - Dwarf Soldier

Other Dwarves you control gain +1/+0 and
First Strike

2/3​

Creature - Dwarf Soldier

When Seeker of Antiquity enters the battlefield,
you may search your library for an equipment
card and put it on to the battlefield.

2/3​

Creature - Dwarf Soldier

Haste
When Battle Crier attacks, other Dwarves you
control gain +2/+0.

2/3​

Firemind

I hate Dwarven Pony so much.
how can you hate ponies? they're adorbs

They really need to bring back several tribes and races properly

Which ones would I like to see?

Dwarves, Barbarians, Atogs, Kobolds, Goblins (like, for real), Eldrazi (lol), Homarids

I mostly jest about Eldrazi (even though they missed the mark) and Homarids. But the others I mean it.
goblins are so passé. bring back orcs, wurms, griffins, airships and horrors.

OnPoint

goblins are so passé. bring back orcs, wurms, griffins, airships and horrors.

They just did orcs in Tarkir and griffins get pretty consistent representation. Airships and horrors could use more though for sure. Wurms show up from time to time, too, depending on the world.

Creature types I want back:
Dwarfs
Squirrels
Atogs
Beebles
Unicorns that aren't just mechanical implementations of "everything wants to kill it"

Creature types I want:
Monkey - Not ape
Dinosaur - I really hate the "Lizard Beast" implementation
Dog - Jackals aren't hounds!
EDIT: Noble - There needs to be a creature type for those who rule, and "Lord" has Magic implications so they couldn't use it for that.

jph139

A Homarid revival is the real dream. Lobsterfolk are vastly underrepresented in the genre - honestly, they should be a staple fantasy race.

Kobolds are a close second. They'd fill the same slot as goblins and help keep things fresh.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180290936]Man that slop tasted good. It took me until a week before Origins released to realize how good Jace was, though. Transhuman called it way ahead of everyone.[/QUOTE]

Me and my 37 copies of Steamfloggger Boss agree with you.

Toxi

Banned
Dinosaur - I really hate the "Lizard Beast" implementation
The worst part is that they actually removed the Dinosaur creature type from the game for God knows what reason during the Great Creature Type Update.

Kobolds are a close second. They'd fill the same slot as goblins and help keep things fresh.
Kobolds seem completely redundant with MtG Goblins considering their design and flavor. I don't see the point of them besides nostalgia and annoying me that they don't fit in with Goblin Tribal.

Socat

The worst part is that they actually removed the Dinosaur creature type from the game for God knows what reason during the Great Creature Type Update.

Kobolds seem completely redundant with MtG Goblins considering their design and flavor. I don't see the point of them besides nostalgia and annoying me that they don't fit in with Goblin Tribal.

Dinosaurs definitely have some good design space in my opinion, so I think we will see a take on that at some point. And kobolds and homarids are just bad and need to stay buried

Uncharted Realms - Home Waters
In terms of plot development, not much happens. Kiora returns to Zendikar, fights some Eldrazi, meets up with her sister, and decides to go fight Ulamog at the Sea Gate. However, there are also flashbacks to Kiora's childhood, and I found this story to be fairly good. I liked Kiora's relationship with her sister, and her view of the gods makes for a much more interesting connection with the Eldrazi than whatever's going on with Nissa.

pigeon

Banned

I have a soft spot for Kobolds because they have a trait that Goblins just don't -- they cost 0.

Who doesn't love creatures that cost 0? 0's very different from 1!

Actually building out a meaningful tribe around costing as little as possible would be hard, though.

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms - Home Waters
In terms of plot development, not much happens. Kiora returns to Zendikar, fights some Eldrazi, meets up with her sister, and decides to go fight Ulamog at the Sea Gate. However, there are also flashbacks to Kiora's childhood, and I found this story to be fairly good. I liked Kiora's relationship with her sister, and her view of the gods makes for a much more interesting connection with the Eldrazi than whatever's going on with Nissa.

What interested me most about the story was the way the bident reacted to leaving Theros.

What interested me most about the story was the way the bident reacted to leaving Theros.

It seems like, similar to the gods themselves, the weapons of the gods are powered by the belief of worshipers on Theros. Kiora was lucky that the bident actually had a physical base at all.

jph139

That story was pretty good - it helps that Kiora is actually fairly interesting as a character. Is she the first Planeswalker we've seen with a (living) family?

OnPoint

Kiora's story was actually interesting, jph139 is right.

It seems like, similar to the gods themselves, the weapons of the gods are powered by the belief of worshipers on Theros. Kiora was lucky that the bident actually had a physical base at all.

Couple of things can be derived from that, I think.

1. The Gods themselves may have "physical bases", much like how Xenagos went from mortal to God
  2. The Gods would likely have none of their God powers off of Theros
  3. The "physical base" of a God is likely also at least somewhat powerful, as it probably took a lot of work and power to become a God

That story was pretty good - it helps that Kiora is actually fairly interesting as a character. Is she the first Planeswalker we've seen with a (living) family?

Can't think of any. Jace's parents aren't stated to have died, but with AMNESIA, he doesn't even know about them.

Also, Unglued 3 needs to have the Bidet of Thassa.

Kiora's story was actually interesting, jph139 is right.

Couple of things can be derived from that, I think.

1. The Gods themselves may have "physical bases", much like how Xenagos went from mortal to God
  2. The Gods would likely have none of their God powers off of Theros
  3. The "physical base" of a God is likely also at least somewhat powerful, as it probably took a lot of work and power to become a God

I wonder if this lends any credit to Heliod having been a Planeswalker before he became a god. I mean, there's probably several who were great legends in Theros who ascended upon some condition(Iroas, Mogis, Phenax) but Heliod's the only one we know more about (IIRC he was originally a god of love before he became captain Jackass) and there's the whole "Order of Heliud" running around Somewhere in the Multiverse.

Kiora once again proving that she's the best Planeswalker.

Theros once again proving that it's one of Magic's most interesting settings.

I detect no lies here. I get why we need the Mono coloured Walkers(Easier for deck building) but the best Walkers characterize tend to be multicoloured (Kiora, Sorin, etc)

Haines

Banned
I played with my friend today. Used his 2 decks from the two prereleases he attended.

Had a lot of fun. I now need to read up on all the cards in this set and practice so I can go to a draft.

The reading part is easy. The practice part is tough BC practicing with old cards and mechanics won't exactly help me and I can only sneak so much play time in with him.

Socat

I played with my friend today. Used his 2 decks from the two prereleases he attended.

Had a lot of fun. I now need to read up on all the cards in this set and practice so I can go to a draft.

The reading part is easy. The practice part is tough BC practicing with old cards and mechanics won't exactly help me and I can only sneak so much play time in with him.

http://mtgmirror.com/#/sealedsim

Definitely helped me prepare for the prerelease

Haines

Banned
Thanks! I'll check it out now. Excited to be a part of this thread even if I have zero interest in constructed. Magic just seems to so much more interactivity that hearthstone and feels less going through the motions.

Also looking forward to playing with real people in real life instead of an iPad.

Not that I'll ever quit hearthstone. It's still simple goofy fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thanks! I'll check it out now. Excited to be a part of this thread even if I have zero interest in constructed. Magic just seems to so much more interactivity that hearthstone and feels less going through the motions.

Also looking forward to playing with real people in real life instead of an iPad.

Not that I'll ever quit hearthstone. It's still simple goofy fun.

You're not alone. I have a sort of academic interest in the Constructed scene, but I pretty much exclusively play Limited and the casual scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom