• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I'm still mad they erased the creature type lord from history.

Now Lovisa Coldeyes is neither a lord nor a barbarian nor a warrior nor a berserker. That's just wrong.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe they hardcoded checks for supertypes so they can never add a supertype without having to recode every card.

laugh.gif

Haines

Banned
My friend is into magic, and i want to join in on the fun, without starting a collection.

I played that origins game a bit and he gave me a few common decks to mess with and learn the mechanics.

Im thinking of just going to the draft things once i have a handle on the mechnaics and cards and just selling anything good i get.

The thing is. Im from hearthstone, where all cards are pooled together. I really dont understand how the magic cards are put together. Some sort of blocks of 3 big releases then start fresh again or something?

Do you guys think its worth me playing origins, or do i just bug him to go to his place and play with new cards since thats what i would play at a draft/ prerelease?

My friend is into magic, and i want to join in on the fun, without starting a collection.

I played that origins game a bit and he gave me a few common decks to mess with and learn the mechanics.

Im thinking of just going to the draft things once i have a handle on the mechnaics and cards and just selling anything good i get.

The thing is. Im from hearthstone, where all cards are pooled together. I really dont understand how the magic cards are put together. Some sort of blocks of 3 big releases then start fresh again or something?

Do you guys think its worth me playing origins, or do i just bug him to go to his place and play with new cards since thats what i would play at a draft/ prerelease?

By Origins, do you mean the PC/iOS/Xbone app? If you're starting out, I recommend playing Magic Duels: Origins to get the hang of the rules.

The way sets work is that three (now two) sets take place in the same world before they move on to a new one. There are multiple formats where different cards are legal. Minus banned lists, Legacy is all cards, Modern is all cards past a certain point, and Standard is a rotating format. Currently, every three months, a set is added to Standard, and every six months, two sets are dropped from Standard.

I wouldn't recommend trying to attend a draft until you are more comfortable with the game, especially since Battle for Zendikar is expected to be a kind of weird draft.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
By Origins, do you mean the PC/iOS/Xbone app? If you're starting out, I recommend playing Magic Duels: Origins to get the hang of the rules.

The way sets work is that three (now two) sets take place in the same world before they move on to a new one. There are multiple formats where different cards are legal. Minus banned lists, Legacy is all cards, Modern is all cards past a certain point, and Standard is a rotating format. Currently, every three months, a set is added to Standard, and every six months, two sets are dropped from Standard.

I wouldn't recommend trying to attend a draft until you are more comfortable with the game, especially since Battle for Zendikar is expected to be a kind of weird draft.

He doesn't want to play Constructed.

The actual answer is probably "attend a prerelease" but that's kind of over until January :(

Yeef

To start, I'd recommend sticking to Magic Duels until you guys get comfortable with the game. Once you have a good grasp on the gameplay and turn structure, then consider doing draft or sealed events in paper.

As far as magic is concerned, you can 'pool all the cards together' and play that way. It's how the vast majority of casual players will do it. Magic sets are released in "blocks"; multiple sets that are thematically tied together to form a bigger whole.

For example, the last block included Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir. All three sets in the block shared mechanics so that they played well together. They also told a story. In this case, it was a time travel story. Khans of Tarkir, the first set, had present Tarkir as a world were dragons were extinct. Then in Fate Reforged, the protagonist traveled into the past and prevent the event that had led to the dragons going extinct. Finally, Dragons of Tarkir took place in the present again, but with the altered timeline where dragons were still around.

Again, if you're playing casually, you can ignore the whole block structure and just use whatever cards you like. It's only when you're playing certain formats (like Standard and Block Constructed) that you need to worry about blocks.

Vyktal

I attended last weekends prerelease at a nearby store with a couple friends. Didn't pull anything exciting at all, but was still a good experience. I absolutely struggled when constructing a deck on the fly (and performed poorly) as I had no idea what worked well together and the clunky mechanics seemed like you needed perfect card order to pull them off (aka the Zendikar Intro decks).

It was a great weekend though, especially because I did it with a couple of close friends from back home who I used to play MTG with years ago. None of us have played MTG properly in years either so we were all in the same boat. Probably the best bit of MTG fun was after the prerelease when we messed around with what cards we had and played each other at home.

Now I'm trying to see if I can put together a BFZ-based deck for Standard, but I've realised that none of the cards or mechanics particularly wow me. One of my friends pulled Omnoth and started building a mean Landfall deck, and the other had a mish-mash deck. I'm trying to build an Ally-based deck, but the sample standard decks on Tappedout don't seem that exciting. I considered an Eldrazi deck, but again I'm perplexed about the best color combos and what works best.

Anyway, good luck to any other beginners getting into this new set! It's....odd

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Sealed is that you usually need enablers + a payoff for basically any theme and you sometimes just don't get the cards.

In Draft, if you correctly deduce your opponent is doing UB Ingest, you can go WR Allies and get a lot of the good allies passed to you. (Example) It works like this in every set.

Ashodin

Finding a lot of fun with avaricious dragon + ally deck. You typically play out your hand anyway, so drawing two cards a turn is a great way to keep the engine going.

I'm also liking the idea of the 3/4 artifact creature bouncing an ally for another go around.

kirblar

The problem with Sealed is that you usually need enablers + a payoff for basically any theme and you sometimes just don't get the cards.

In Draft, if you correctly deduce your opponent is doing UB Ingest, you can go WR Allies and get a lot of the good allies passed to you. (Example) It works like this in every set.
It depends how strongly the themes are pigeonholed.

In Innistrad, the 5 ally color decks each had a fast and a "slow" variant baked into them. Enemy color strategies were deliberately left to Uncommon and while supported at common, weren't meant to be a primary choice for players.

Essentially, the ally decks had "soft" synergies- the enemy ones "hard". With soft synergies more dominant, it leads to a better sealed experience.

Contrast this to MM/BFZ draft- it's all hard synergies across the board, making sealed very obnoxious.

Angry Grimace

I guess LSV just doesn't do those set reviews anymore? Last time he did one he spiked Jace to 35 bucks.
KuGsj.gif

Contrast this to MM/BFZ draft- it's all hard synergies across the board, making sealed very obnoxious.
Yeah, my sealed deck with a ton of rally triggers was hard for almost all my opponents to even get off the ground against, despite me mulliganing 7 times in 6 rounds. The only one that could stop me(and the only match that went over 20 minutes) was the guy who got first with a fantastic control build containing an unreasonable number of spot removal and a sweeper backed by ugin's insight and top quality fliers.

I guess LSV just doesn't do those set reviews anymore? Last time he did one he spiked Jace to 35 bucks.
KuGsj.gif

"Jace is about as good as Tibalt. He's only better because he doesn't actively fuck you the way Tibalt does." - Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180289864]Yeah, my sealed deck with a ton of rally triggers was hard for almost all my opponents to even get off the ground against, despite me mulliganing 7 times in 6 rounds. The only one that could stop me(and the only match that went over 20 minutes) was the guy who got first with a fantastic control build containing an unreasonable number of spot removal and a sweeper backed by ugin's insight and top quality fliers.

"Jace is about as good as Tibalt. He's only better because he doesn't actively fuck you the way Tibalt does." - Angry Grimace[/QUOTE]

"I paid 30 dollars for italian slop" - God's Beard

Angry Grimace

Jace still sucks. I o-only have a playset because I'm a completionist, okay? D-d-don't get the wrong idea.

Snapcaster literally didn't have flash for most of development because Zac Hill forgot to write it on the card.

I miss Zac Hill. He designed some really cool cards and I just loved his enthusiasm as well.

He admits that Snapcaster Mage was a mistake. I'm sure that everyone remembers his Snap + Mana Leak article.

kirblar

I miss Zac Hill. He designed some really cool cards and I just loved his enthusiasm as well.

He admits that Snapcaster Mage was a mistake. I'm sure that everyone remembers his Snap + Mana Leak article.
I actually came to despise Think Twice because of the "I hold up 2 mana. If you pass, I draw. If you play a spell, i can counter" gameplay in that Standard era.

kirblar

Alex Majlton wrote up thoughts on Lantern- main takeaway was basically "you should be playing this deck until its banned", since it'll be a while until you hit a critical mass of players proficient with the deck warping top tables and forcing the issue.

Firemind

Games of magic that don't rely on abusing the fact that the end step is extraordinarily powerful?

To use a poker analogy- it's the button, and it's part of why blue has normally been godlike.
curving out: not enough skill

end of turn plays: too much skill!

i'm actually arguing that think twice is a fair card.

kirblar

curving out: not enough skill

end of turn plays: too much skill!

i'm actually arguing that think twice is a fair card.
The curveout argument is a variance thing where you don't want to become VS system. Nothing to do with skill, just avoiding making that a dominant strategy.

EoT are "skill" in the same way that damage on the stack was "skill" - i.e., it's not, it's just something you can leverage and is nearly always correct to do so when possible.

If playing something EoT sent someone back into their main phase, there'd be a lot more tension there. Alas, there's not really a way to do that.

The problem with a Counter/Think Twice deck is that it never has to make decisions during its turn for the most part. It just sits on its ass and plays in the opponent's end step. I've played decks like this when they're good. It's just that they make the opponent's life miserable when they're good. Instant Card Draw is something they toned back years ago, then decided to push again for the past 5 years (INN till now) and now appear to have realized "oh yeah, no, we had it right the first time"

Part of me wants to make a standard BWR token deck for fun. And a copy of Descent of the Dragons.
The worst part is that White's best cheap token Generator is rotating despite it being not overpowered in any way. Plus, it would have totally been in flavor for Origins.

Otherwise, I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking just going BR, but White has some really good token cards

Angry Grimace

A Temur deck without Wild Slash or Crater's Claws is not a Temur deck.

Also, I never understood why this was a thing:

eyegouge.jpg

They should have printed some BOMB cyclops in Theros, then dropped that card in the next set or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom