• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's mostly anecdotal evidence though.

No, at this point all the big institutional buyers have opened a billion packs and this rate still seems to be holding up.

36 lands + 1/3 expedition per box = lololol @ singles prices in two months.

Like I said, the only two cards that even have a chance of staying over $10 are Gideon (as the most expensive and most desirable general-purpose Standard card) and Ulamog (because lol Commander.)

It's funny to me to see the way people complain about card prices when for most purposes Khans - Battle Standard is going to be ultra-cheap.

For what it's worth, I still think Zendikar is trash and Standard will be lame as hell once Khans-FRF rotates out.

It's a little early to be speculating about what Standard is going to be like when a block we don't even know the name or theme of yet rotates in six months from now, don't you think?

Edit: I like how you added a salty edit "over and over and over" to bitch about the, what, two times I told you that playing legit 5 colors seems prone to mana screw and also possibly too slow just because you're all upset that I didn't immediately accept your reply of "but crackling doom" response as being correct.

I'm not salty about anything. I was just joking with you for fun then you started taking it personally. I wasn't picking an argument.

I edit the majority of my posts 2 or 3 times in the minutes after posting.

Jhriad

I'm just saying, this thread was full of "BFZ looks like the absolute worst" just like, 4 days ago. Awful lot of you posting your sweet pulls.

Not counting the expedition land, prerelease promos, or non-foil full art basics I've pulled something like $400 in prerelease value from the set so far. I still think the set is shit. That said, I'm fully happy Pucatrading it all away while everything is worth money before the sets EV gets absolutely crushed. That doesn't change regardless of what set were in. It's actually a lot easier with this one since it's a lot easier to see where the most value will remain after the set is opened a ton.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pulling money isn't the same thing as "this set rules."

All the things people like are things that aren't actually in the set.

duxstar

I think a huge problem with the set is the excitement level you have for opening a mythic rare is so freaking low. I saw a guy today open 5 packs and got both Oblivion Sower and Sire of stagnation and was like meh.

I've opened shit so far, the only mythic I've gotten is Part the waterviel on nixilis and no rare lands. My best pull in over 20 packs was 1 on nixilis.

Of course everyone I talk to is opening cases of the set. I would kill for 1 or 2 gideons and people around me are opening them like Candy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the fact that you can sell the stupid land pack inside the fat pack for $20 is hilarious though. It's not like you're running 20+ basics in a deck other than RDW, and even then, you can incidentally pull a ton of mountains from drafting, etc.

Hackworth

The FNM promo this month is Ultimate Price.

Blight Herder is the launch promo.
Whatever the technical term is I got one. Guy sitting across from me got given two Ultimate Prices because the store owners both ran a separate random program for the giveaways.

Whatever the technical term is I got one. Guy sitting across from me got given two Ultimate Prices because the store owners both ran a separate random program for the giveaways.
It's definitely a good promo:

EN_td6tixlmi4.png

It's a little early to be speculating about what Standard is going to be like when a block we don't even know the name or theme of yet rotates in six months from now, don't you think?
Naw. Unless Oaths is crazy stuffed with overpowered stuff like what just rotated out with Theros, it's not too early. BfZ is an extremely uninspired suite of mechanics, most of which are mere retreads.

I don't mind the slower speed in the meta, in fact I embrace it. But it's not premature to damn BfZ when we're going to a 2-block rotation standard instead of a 3-block system like we just ended. One set's weakness holds extremely heavy weight now.

Angry Grimace

There seemed to be a lot of Zulaport Cutthroats running around from what I saw.

Ooccoo

The RNG gods smiled on me with my box

Gideon
Drana
Plains (foil)
Ruinous Path
From Beyond (foil)
Smoldering Marsh
Lumbering Falls
Akoum Firebird
Omnath
Woodland Wanderer
Oblivion Sower
Void Winnower
etc.
Misty Rainforest Expedition

Jhriad

The RNG gods smiled on me with my box

Gideon
Drana
Plains (foil)
Ruinous Path
From Beyond (foil)
Smoldering Marsh
Lumbering Falls
Akoum Firebird
Omnath
Woodland Wanderer
Oblivion Sower
Void Winnower
etc.
Misty Rainforest Expedition

That From Beyond foil is pretty sexy.

Angry Grimace

for some reason the card Void Winnower bothers the fuck out of me

Why the fuck does this stupid fucking card exist and why can't that just be a rare? Because it has a stupid useless troll ability?

Ashodin

I got my second Ally Encampment, but I need two more. Desperately want to build an Ally deck that's fine-tuned all to hell.

Also my second box opening will be today so I'm excited to see if I can pull another expedition. Then we be baller.

kirblar

Why the fuck does this stupid fucking card exist and why can't that just be a rare? Because it has a stupid useless troll ability?
Because Mark Rosewater was leading a set where he didn't understand a thing about the appeal of half of the set.

There is no mechanical cohesion between the rare/mythic Eldrazi. It's actually really frustrating to me.

There's literally an X/X for X. Nothing else. But it's Eldrazi!!!

OnPoint

The descriptions of the three Titans in the fat pack book make it sound like more of an Emrakul spawn to me. Flavor fail in the Ulamog set, really.

Ashodin

I think that's the point you guys they're supposed to be mysterious and different and not cohesive at all, it's beyond your perception

kirblar

There is no mechanical cohesion between the rare/mythic Eldrazi. It's actually really frustrating to me.

There's literally an X/X for X. Nothing else. But it's Eldrazi!!!
My suggestion (going into my piece)

Engulf X (Mostly 1, Ulamog would be 20) Whenever this creature attacks, defending player removes the top X cards of their library from the game.

Endless One would have "If Endless One has 7 or more +1/+1 counters on it, it gains Engulf 1"

Also, Rosewater's favorite card is the crappy double 10/10. Because of course it is, his thing for pet mechanics is getting ridiculous.

Also, Rosewater's favorite card is the crappy double 10/10. Because of course it is, his thing for pet mechanics is getting ridiculous.
lol, the Eldrazi converge guy I battled in FMN got that thing onto the board both games and I Murderous Cut it away. Laughable 2-0 round for me.

Angry Grimace

Are you saying you can't even with this card?

I'm saying Mark Rosewater's pet card shouldn't be a Mythic just because they couldn't come up with another decent Mythic.

As he would say, "not every card is for you," but this card is actually for Mark Rosewater as a joke based on his failure to submit a playable design file. Like c'mon.

ElyrionX

"Full art" Delta is 'only' €200. Not sure if I should jump on it or not. I'm never going to sleeve it up so I'd just admire it in a binder. :lol

Buying a card like that to not play it is completely ridiculous. Triple sleeve if you must but play the shit out of it if you're buying it.

I actually think that, if tested and developed properly, a more fleshed out even and odd theme could have been cool.

I think it's actually more workable as a mini-theme than a single card. If you design a faction to have multiple cards that care about parity then it creates some weird and interesting gameplay decisions that wouldn't come up otherwise.

Also, Rosewater's favorite card is the crappy double 10/10.

I think the thing that irritates me the most about all these big colorless eldrazi is that (except for Bane of Bala Ged which is the one that already works correctly) they're mostly rare or mythic, so there's not even any reason you can't make them all tie into the exile theme. Most of them are easy to fix, even. The ramp guys can exile-mill on attack. The combat-y ones (Breaker of Armies, Desolation Twin, Eldrazi Devastator) can either exile-mill on attack or get something like "If a creature dealt damage by ~ would die this turn, exile it instead." Make Deathless Behemoth exile from their graveyard on ETB. Have Endless One also exile-mill for X. After that most of the others are processors which IMO is fine, just make the lifegain one less shitty. Void Winnower (being the weirdo hangover from their previous design) is far and away the hardest one to fix, actually.

Angry Grimace

The Gatewatch expeditions aren't going to be as valuable simply because they already put the more expensive cycles in BFZ. It'll still be a smashed set EV-wise though.
Gatewatch Expedition Underground Sea

Wulfric

Reporting in with Overgrown Tomb in my fat pack. The right edge looks a bit worn, but I'm happy with it either way. It's nice to see the expedition lands are turning out to be more common than originally predicted. Wizards got that ratio right this time. Not too common, but not incredibly rare.

Did anyone else take the WotC survey and rate most artwork fair/good? Maybe it's my imagination, but Tarkir block art was far more consistent across the board. Barring the basic lands, the only artwork that really stand out are Kiora and Ob Nixilis.

Hero

Couldn't find a fat pack anywhere so I just bought 4 packs from Walmart. First pack had a Marsh Flats in it. Pretty happy!

Crocodile

To everybody who is opening an Expedition who isn't me:

fef.gif

They feel "right" because they do something when they swing.

Also part of the reason why Ulamog is such a good design. The loss of Annihilator is also made up by the -1 CMC and the superior cast trigger.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Reporting in with Overgrown Tomb in my fat pack. The right edge looks a bit worn, but I'm happy with it either way. It's nice to see the expedition lands are turning out to be more common than originally predicted. Wizards got that ratio right this time. Not too common, but not incredibly rare.

The issue isn't uncommon. Contact WotC customer support and get them to give you a replacement

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Playing 4-color Jeskai Tempo/Control and it seems to be faring pretty well. Tested favorably vs. R/G Landfall and Abzan Aristocrats. Running 11 fetches, is kind of rough, but the mana ends up working out more often than not. The ability to play mantis rider / jace backed by kolaghan's command and crackling doom is stuuuupid. List incoming shortly.

Jeskai Midrange.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/113814

Haven't had any issues with the mana, really, with all the fetches I can get anything I want, normally just basics, so I can play stuff in turn 2-3, and turn on the tango lands later in the game. There are totally awkward draws though.

Currently debating cutting a Gideon for an extra Bloodstained Mire. If not, maybe another Gideon in the SB instead of Sarkhan.

Let me know your thoughts!

Yeef

I'm saying Mark Rosewater's pet card shouldn't be a Mythic just because they couldn't come up with another decent Mythic.

As he would say, "not every card is for you," but this card is actually for Mark Rosewater as a joke based on his failure to submit a playable design file. Like c'mon.
It absolutely should be mythic. It's a fairly unique effect and it's a pain to play against in limited.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It absolutely should be mythic. It's a fairly unique effect and it's a pain to play against in limited.
I mean, sure, but any 8+ drop is a pain to play against in limited if it actually manages to get cast, so that's kind of a bad metric to judge it by. Plus all of the removal kills/removes giant creatures is odd anyways (bone splinters, exile enchantment (1WW), planar outburst, Ob Nixilis, etc).

It would be fine as a rare, I think.

duxstar

So just as we thought

People are willing to play 5 color so they can have 8 copies of siege rhino.

I'm starting to wonder if Crumble to Dust won't see sideboard play. Sure killing a Canopy Vista is no good since they probably have other ways to get green or white, but how many blue sources can they have, or red ? 1 - 2 tops ?

Really wish there was better land destruction.

PS Gideon is legit , now I need 4 of them =/
Anyone need ugin, or hangarback or Drana ? Ob nixilis ?

I knew I shouldve bought in on him at 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom