• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Salsa

wait.. full deck building is in?

WHY DIDNT ANYONE CORRECT ME WHEN I SAID I WASNT GONNA BUY IT BECAUSE OF THAT T_T

NO TF2 ITEMS BUHH

sonicmj1

Eggo said:
I think you guys are doing it wrong if you're having problems with U/G. It seems to be one of the worst decks. I choose to play against it exclusively to unlock cards in the campaign because it has so many flaws. No creature removal, can't block fliers, poor early game.

Granted, I haven't played multi-player yet, but I think there's far nastier stuff in the other decks than U/G.

Also, crying about mana in a game of chance seems silly to me. I've seen the computer get hosed with not enough or too much mana, the same as anyone else. You guys probably think poker games cheat too.

I played through the whole campaign with the U/G deck, and while I like it in theory, it has a lot of weaknesses. It can hardly do anything until after turn 6 most of the time, and if it's far enough behind, the only real way of coming back from a losing position is an Eldrazi or Lorthos, which still have to attack before they really make a difference.

I hit a total wall fighting the Vampire deck, because it could consistently put me at a huge disadvantage before I stabilized, and then would just build enough mass to break through what remained.

Still, Gideon and Karn both rolled to me because of mana screw or something, so that was good.

It's definitely more Duels of the Planeswalkers, but I find it an effective way of scratching my Magic itch. Games are balanced, and there's plenty of room for interesting interactions. I want to explore the Machinations deck more, because it seems very interesting.

I've been very impressed by the difficulty of the challenges. The Hard ones at the end of the campaign are absolute whoppers, and I don't even know where to begin with a few of them.

samoset

SalsaShark said:

WHY DIDNT ANYONE CORRECT ME WHEN I SAID I WASNT GONNA BUY IT BECAUSE OF THAT T_T

NO TF2 ITEMS BUHH
No full deck building is not in your just allowed to switch in and out cards unlocked from a specific deck.

Oreoleo

SalsaShark said:

NO TF2 ITEMS BUHH

Well, not entirely.

You can't control how much land is in your deck, but you can remove cards from the base deck once you unlock extra cards for decks by winning games. In the first Planeswalker game you could only add or remove the extra cards. Now it's the whole deck.

Sober

SalsaShark said:

NO TF2 ITEMS BUHH
Not full deckbuilding, but you can modify the core decks with unlockable cards (related to the theme of the deck).

sonicmj1 said:
I hit a total wall fighting the Vampire deck, because it could consistently put me at a huge disadvantage before I stabilized, and then would just build enough mass to break through what remained.
Try the Chandra deck. I usually suck at red (don't really know when to use burns for creatures or the player unless it's restricted), but I ended up just burning all his vampires away to prevent him from going insane with them.

sonicmj1

Sober said:
Not full deckbuilding, but you can modify the core decks with unlockable cards (related to the theme of the deck).

Try the Chandra deck. I usually suck at red (don't really know when to use burns for creatures or the player unless it's restricted), but I ended up just burning all his vampires away to prevent him from going insane with them.

I got lucky enough eventually to win, but that was more out of sheer stubbornness.

I should have switched decks.

Sober

sonicmj1 said:
I got lucky enough eventually to win, but that was more out of sheer stubbornness.

I should have switched decks.
Yeah, I kept trying to stick to Machinations or the Jace deck since I used to be U or U/B control type but being limited to not having CS (I fail at not unlocking it) or multiple cheap CS cards like I did in casual play sorta sucked.

You cannot believe how many times somehow he had 3 vamps up and then played, back-to-back, Sengir and the (legendary?) one where you play with the top of your library revealed. THE HORROR. BUT I CAN ONLY BLOCK ON CREATURE.

Daigoro

ah. last time i was on there was only like 5k people on the leader board and it was easy to browse.

so whats a white weenie? anyone want to give a quick rundown of some of the Magic terms i wouldnt know from only playing DOTP and 2012?

Daigoro said:
so whats a white weenie?
It's a classic deck archetype typically relying mostly on cheap creatures, usually costing one or two white mana, and a few utility spells used to remove blockers.

pix

Does anyone know if there is a way to limit your FPS on the PC version? I am spiking at 280 FPS, and my card is running hot. :(

Grecco

Eggo said:
I think you guys are doing it wrong if you're having problems with U/G. It seems to be one of the worst decks. I choose to play against it exclusively to unlock cards in the campaign because it has so many flaws. No creature removal, can't block fliers, poor early game.

Granted, I haven't played multi-player yet, but I think there's far nastier stuff in the other decks than U/G.

Also, crying about mana in a game of chance seems silly to me. I've seen the computer get hosed with not enough or too much mana, the same as anyone else. You guys probably think poker games cheat too.

Ive played MTG long enough to know when im getting hosed and when my opponent is top decking shit. Maybe it happens less in hard.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sober said:

That's what I had to do against Sarkhan in the last game. I couldn't beat him with a creature deck, so I just torched his ass.

Phreaker

Maybe I missed this, but two headed giant can now be played online?! Awesome.

I mainly played against the AI to unlock the decks last night, only a few more to go. I did play a couple matches online. I didn't notice, are there both ranked and unranked matches still?

Got this on steam.

Unlocking cards at the moment. Don't use steam that often not sure if I should give my log in name or my display name so i'll give both:

Display: Silphonica

Will be lpaying this for a long time as it's basically the only game I own at the moment except Halo PC.

Soru said:
Will be lpaying this for a long time as it's basically the only game I own at the moment except Halo PC.

Good taste ;) (also in Avatar)

Well it seems I will be getting this tonite as well since everybody seems to be impressed.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bought the PS3 version (will buy the PC version later) and so far I've come to two conclusions.

1) The trophy design is terrible. 20 bronze trophies? How original.
2) The AI cheats like hell and every difficulty above "Mage" is just unfair.

ultron87

Did Magic get a bunch of stuff added to it since DOTP came out? I feel like there is way more stuff I'm unfamiliar with from my days of playing Magic back in the day than there was in the original DOTP.

Equipment? Metalcraft? Ahh!

It all seems cool, just thought it was weird that just a year would add all this when the probably 5+ years that separated my playing days from DOTP didn't seem to.

It's honestly probably just the starting decks more than anything.

That aside, what's the most efficient card unlocking method?

orion434

I'm not liking this Archenemy bit... kinda makes the entire game based on luck. There is an Archenemy counter to every deck strategy and at the start of every turn I hope I don't get targeted with anything other than - Take 6 Damage or 3 damage to the other 2 players card.

kinoki said:
2) The AI cheats like hell and every difficulty above "Mage" is just unfair.
What kind of cheating? I blasted my way through the campaign and revenge (which is just more of the same) on the planeswalker difficulty and I didn't notice anything unfair. The final opponent has a very powerful deck capable of a turn 1 Darksteel Colossus, but thankfully he doesn't know how to play it correctly.

Grecco said:
Ridiculously insane draws?
Are you using mulligans when you draw bad or average hands? Most decks in the game seem pretty powerful and unless you have really good starting hand it is usually best to mulligan it.

Grecco

archnemesis said:
Are you using mulligans when you draw bad or average hands? Most decks in the game seem pretty powerful and unless you have really good starting hand it is usually best to mulligan it.

Im talking about the opponent. When they most need 1 card they get it, when they could loose a bunch of cards they dont ect

Also, the chalenges so far have been incredibly easy, almost tutorials. I hope they get harder.

coopolon

Soru said:
Got this on steam.

Unlocking cards at the moment. Don't use steam that often not sure if I should give my log in name or my display name so i'll give both:

Display: Silphonica

You don't need to give your login name, just the display. You should edit the login not, not that it's a big deal but no reason to even give it out.

Phreaker

ultron87 said:
Did Magic get a bunch of stuff added to it since DOTP came out?

Equipment? Metalcraft? Ahh!

That aside, what's the most efficient card unlocking method?

So far Equipment is the only thing I saw that was new to me since the first DOTP. They seem similar to the previous enchantments.

I would think the most efficient card unlock method would be to play against AI using "Mage" (easiest) difficulty. What's nice is this time it's usually more than 1 card unlocked per win. For example, I am using the first W deck to go through the game and I still have 4 matches to play and I only have 2 cards left locked for that deck.

Shai-Tan

Banned
archnemesis said:
What kind of cheating? I blasted my way through the campaign and revenge (which is just more of the same) on the planeswalker difficulty and I didn't notice anything unfair. The final opponent has a very powerful deck capable of a turn 1 Darksteel Colossus, but thankfully he doesn't know how to play it correctly.

I beat the campaign in planeswalker using random decks so only a few cards unlocked for each deck..

Shai-Tan said:
I beat the campaign in planeswalker using random decks so only a few cards unlocked for each deck..
Is there an option for choosing random decks or did you just pick a new one manually between each match?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Phreaker said:
So far Equipment is the only thing I saw that was new to me since the first DOTP. They seem similar to the previous enchantments.

I would think the most efficient card unlock method would be to play against AI using "Mage" (easiest) difficulty. What's nice is this time it's usually more than 1 card unlocked per win. For example, I am using the first W deck to go through the game and I still have 4 matches to play and I only have 2 cards left locked for that deck.
Yeah, equipment has actually been in the game since 2005, but I know a lot of you guys have been out of the game. The first DOTP didn't have equipment in it?

samoset

Is anyone else really annoyed that when you unlock a card/cards for a deck the game automatically puts them in your deck making you have to manually go and dig them out? It would have been much better to just allow you access to them from the deck editor if you wanted them.

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, equipment has actually been in the game since 2005, but I know a lot of you guys have been out of the game. The first DOTP didn't have equipment in it?

The first DOTP definitely had equipment in it - there was even an equipment focused deck in one of the expansions. Jace's illusion deck is extremely good in this - won ALOT of multiplayer matches with it. Illusions CAN get fucked pretty easily though with the right card.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Grecco said:
funny enough after thinking the chalenges were easy, the first medium one is giving me issues.

True enough. Haven't spent a ton of time with the medium ones yet, but the Easy ones were ridiculously easy and the jump to Medium was pretty big.

ultron87

You have to assume that the first challenges are only supposed to be challenging for people that have never played Magic and want them to figure out that you can do stuff like cast Instants after blockers have been declared and whatnot.

mjc

Looking forward to playing more of the campaign tonight. Is it just me or is the white deck you start with kinda weak? I like the artifacts/equipment but the creatures are weak.

just bought it... Meh, prefered the first game. I don't like the fact that we can see in advance wich deck the enemy is playing. Prefered the cheesy music of the first game aswell..

orion434

A little pet-peeve, if I lose please allow me to "retry" and not bring me back out to the Campaign screen. I try to catch it right before I lose and press start and "Restart" saves 2 loading screens.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Personally I like the new menus. I think they are a HUGE improvement.

I wish there were more options. I don't like when cards are not displayed flat (like in combat phase). Also the overhead view has a lot of blank table space. They could have had a view closer into the cards. Or a view that also shows the opponent cards better. I feel like I should buy the pc version just so I can see some stuff because of how teeny the cards are.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
rayner said:
A little pet-peeve, if I lose please allow me to "retry" and not bring me back out to the Campaign screen. I try to catch it right before I lose and press start and "Restart" saves 2 loading screens.

If I notice I'm going to lose I automaticly hit the restart button. That solves that. Doesn't excuse lazy design though.

Top Bottom