• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lmao Game one literally took around 45 seconds

All of the top tables are Eldrazi decks.

Haines

Banned
Watching modern for the first time in my life and its all eldrazi rush.

Its funny bc i know what the cards are when i have played 2 sets. Its sad bc it looks like r and d said fuck it deal with this to modern and thats kind of funny as well.

Maybe Lantern isn't the best deck in the format when it doesn't draw Ensnaring Bridge who would have thought

Lantern is great against basically every Modern deck that has been on stream today outside of Abzan Coco though. I'd probably play more thoughtseizes than duresses but that's about it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Watching modern for the first time in my life and its all eldrazi rush.

Its funny bc i know what the cards are when i have played 2 sets. Its sad bc it looks like r and d said fuck it deal with this to modern and thats kind of funny as well.

They probably just said "fuck it we can just ban Eye of Ugin"

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194425103]Lantern is great against basically every Modern deck that has been on stream today outside of Abzan Coco though. I'd probably play more thoughtseizes than duresses but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

Lantern is horrible against Eldrazi you're just in denial.

Yeah, cards are definitely getting banned. However, I hope only one of the Eldrazi lands is banned, so the archetype can still exist.

EDIT: OGW draft deck.dec would be the version most resilient to land bans, right?

Haines

Banned
Can i ask an ignorant question

If they knew the land would be busted, because of the history of magic. Why would they even print it?

Also, i know the meta can correct itself, where people will make a deck that is good against eldrazi. Do you guys already an idea on what that deck would like?

Angry Grimace

These decks are not even playing Urborg lol

EDIT: Nvm, the non UR ones are playing it.

both of them are

Game 1 of Lepore-LSV was just brutal. There's just too many useful Eldrazi cards. Why even play any other aggro deck?

Game-2 Lepore just did the same thing to LSV

If they knew the land would be busted, because of the history of magic. Why would they even print it?

Also, i know the meta can correct itself, where people will make a deck that is good against eldrazi. Do you guys already an idea on what that deck would like?

Eye of Ugin was printed in a small set expansion of the original Zendikar, where the gimmick for Eldrazi was that none of the colorless ones cost less than 7. The best one was 15.

FWIW, none of them saw play because they printed this card in the same set as Eye of Ugin

iDlhsDl.jpg

El Topo

The Eldrazi archetype wasn't too problematic until the deck gained very potent tools in OGW. By itself Eye of Ugin is not broken, especially since the original Eldrazi were all very expensive. The problem is that there are now several (very useful) cheaper Eldrazi that allow the deck to curve out and e.g. with Thought-Knot Seer even allow you to disrupt the opponent.

I don't see how you can reliably shut down the deck. I'm not following Magic much anymore, other than the occasional Twitch coverage (and drafting), so maybe I'm missing some cards.
It reminds me of the beginnings of Affinity though.

Edit:
If you mean decks that perform well...I don't know. Not playing Modern. Combo maybe?

jph139

If Nahiri is RW (which the red cards suggest and which makes sense, since they don't have a dedicated RW walker) I'm curious what the rest of the block is going to have.

Jace and Liliana are a lock, which just leaves Green unaccounted for. But RB Tibalt seems like a 90% chance to me, which only leaves one more walker slot, and it feels like that should be Sorin. Would they leave him out in favor of, like Garruk? Or just go without Green? Interested in how it'll come together.

bigkrev

The lands were printed at a time when the cheapest Eldrazi were 8 mana. They were perfectly fair when they were in Standard

They don't compromise Standard/Limited if they feel it would break older formats. They would rather just ban cards in the older format than have to change the design for Standard. These Eldrazi are fine in Standard because there are no double lands in the format.

Haines

Banned
The lands were printed at a time when the cheapest Eldrazi were 8 mana. They were perfectly fair when they were in Standard

They don't compromise Standard/Limited if they feel it would break older formats. They would rather just ban cards in the older format than have to change the design for Standard. These Eldrazi are fine in Standard because there are no double lands in the format.

Ok, so they just ban what ever the problem cards are for modern and call it a day. Makes sense i guess.

kirblar

LePore is messing up by not dropping Eye so that he can start activating it while he chumps with Scions.

edit: finally did it way too late.

Ashodin

If Nahiri is RW (which the red cards suggest and which makes sense, since they don't have a dedicated RW walker) I'm curious what the rest of the block is going to have.

Jace and Liliana are a lock, which just leaves Green unaccounted for. But RB Tibalt seems like a 90% chance to me, which only leaves one more walker slot, and it feels like that should be Sorin. Would they leave him out in favor of, like Garruk? Or just go without Green? Interested in how it'll come together.

You can just drop Garruk in the second set.

Finally got a chance to look at the leaks, fuuuuuuuck I love leaks dude.

I get hungry for spoiler season.

Nahiri is most certainly RW, fits with the RW equipment theme in BFZ.

Pretty sure LSV is gonna take this but Frank is putting up a hell of a fight.

That's the kind of format modern is. Like almost every other eternal or large-card-pool format ever, every deck that's competitive in the format is either a Standard deck that was too good the first time or two different block mechanics/cards that were fine on their own but are broken together. When one broken deck is significantly more broken than all the others they have to either weaken or kill it with a ban. It was correct for them to just make this block and find out how good it was or wasn't in Modern by letting people play with it.

EDIT: Omg that Ghost Quarter the Eye -> Oblivion Sower opponent's Eye and Ghost Quarter was ludicrous

That's the kind of format modern is. Like almost every other eternal or large-card-pool format ever, every deck that's competitive in the format is either a Standard deck that was too good the first time or two different block mechanics/cards that were fine on their own but are broken together. When one broken deck is significantly more broken than all the others they have to either weaken or kill it with a ban. It was correct for them to just make this block and find out how good it was or wasn't in Modern by letting people play with it.

Yeah, I strongly prefer them letting Modern play out with Eye of Ugin for a while instead of banning it preemptively. At least we're getting some unique decks for a time.

They went without green once before (in Scars block.) It feels hard to squeeze anyone else into this since three characters are a storyline lock, the fourth is strongly hinted to be in the block, and the fifth is the obvious Ob-Nixilis-style returning villain. I think they might just skip green for the block and make it up in the fall.

Heeeeere's your new nahiri

Big "this is fake" on speculative cards once a new set has started being spoiled, please. :p

Went 2-1 at today's draft. Build a RG deck after my first 2 picks were Nissa's Judgement and the Green Landfall guy. Even got a Grove Rumbler, the RG gold card, in the BFZ pack.

Only rare I drafted was the new tarmogoyf.
Lost round 2 against Nissa into gladeheart cavalry, the support 6 6/6, and drawing almost exclusively lands. Like I kept a hand with a 2 drop a 3 drop that can loot and 5 lands. Drew 4 lands in succession. Discarded lands to draw more lands. The game ended with 6 lands in play and 5 in the gy.

Got 4 prize packs and got the tutor but also another Kozileks Return, a Thought-Knot Seer and Oath of Nissa so I'd say I was well rewarded.

Thought Knot hold or sell?

kirblar

If Tamiyo's around they might even skip Jace given the omnipresence of MiniJace. But we're definitely getting a blue walker here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom