• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full zoomed out image:
WSmyaLU.png

More cards gleaned from the zoomed out image:

Furtive Homunculus - 1U (Common)
Creature - Homunculus
Skulk (this creature can't be blocked by creatures with greater power)
2/1
[[Dead Weight]] reprint
Devils' Playground - 4RR (Rare)
Sorcery
Put five 1/1 Devil creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "When this creature dies, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
(credit to /u/kentnasty for this one)
?? ?? - 2G (Common)
Creature - Human
When ~ enters the battlefield, return target land card from your graveyard to your hand.
2/3
(credit to /u/AWriterMustWrite)
?? of ?? - [blue] (??)
Creature - ?? Warrior
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile ?????? (?????? discard a card)
?/?

Good call on Madness.

bigkrev

I don't like th Skulk keyword, because Skulking has meaning in Magic's history
They haven't used it in a decade, but it still feels wrong

Dead Weight also feels like way better removal than we get at common sense here days

So Nahiri got led Emrakul to Innistrad? Nice job Sorin.

Yeah storywise I think that a) not just one but two mechanics themed around horror-craziness is a strong indication of the Lovecraftian undertones here (a.k.a Emrakul) and b) that quote from Nahiri sounds very little like she just stopped being an angel and a whole lot like she just showed up from somewhere else to tear Sorin a new one. :p

Other note from these cards: the flip card slots visible on the checklist are 3 white, 3 blue, 3 black, 6 red, 6 green, and 3 artifact. Which means no werewolf legend, again. (Yes I know there's another set of DFCs left in the block.)

noquarter

Are we all going to get DCI banned cos of spoiler posts
Don't think I have to worry about it, I don't contribute enough to the game for WotC to really know about me. Some of you though...
Investigate is a goofy-ass mechanic, but I'm interested in seeing what they do with it. More diverse use of tokens is good to see and the theme is cool.
Really want to know what it is tied to because it does sound goofy on that one card.

Not a huge fan of madness but maybe I'll like it more this time, and could make some processors a little better from BfZ. And hopefully we see some good discard outlets.

Are we all going to get DCI banned cos of spoiler posts

Jokes aside, the second something hits Reddit every single person who sees it after that is 100% safe.

Investigate is a goofy-ass mechanic, but I'm interested in seeing what they do with it. More diverse use of tokens is good to see and the theme is cool.

It does read as kind of weird offhand, but having a bunch of normal-costed spells that turn into late cantrips when you've got spare mana could be pretty useful. If they're doing the mechanic this way I'd also feel reasonably certain they'll have some cards that care about Clues directly, like "If you control three Clues" or whatever.

Daedardus

Can you cast the spell with Madness at any time, or does it have to be a legal cast at the time of discarding as if it didn't have Madness? For example, a creature on the opponents turn.

I am already in love with Shadows over Innistrad. Madness is a cool mechanic I'm interested to see them tackle with a more modern design philosophy. The clue tokens are flavorful and interesting mechanically. It gives white some draw power which it has always sorely lacked and provides an artifact which might have some interesting consquences. Delirium is an awesome ability too. Can't wait to see the rares in this set.

bigkrev

Deliruous Goyf
1G
Creature- Lurgoyf
Delirium- Delirious Goyf has +4/+4 as long as you have 4 different types of cards in your graveyard
0/1

Only question is if it's a normal Rare or a Mythic, and what it's preorder price will be before people realize it's bulk.

jph139

It does read as kind of weird offhand, but having a bunch of normal-costed spells that turn into late cantrips when you've got spare mana could be pretty useful. If they're doing the mechanic this way I'd also feel reasonably certain they'll have some cards that care about Clues directly, like "If you control three Clues" or whatever.

Oh, didn't even think of that! Lots of potential for interesting stuff there. I hope we see something like this:

Sherlock Holmes - UU
Creature - Human Advisor
At the beginning of your upkeep, scry X, where X is the number of Clues you control.
1/2

Seems like a no-brainer - at least, fundamentally, some sort of "scry X where X is clues" card.

Lucario

Investigate is the silliest mechanic since banding, and I love it.

I'd bet money it was derived from MaRo desperately trying to make "Assemble Contraptions" work.

Seems like a no-brainer - at least, fundamentally, some sort of "scry X where X is clues" card.

I would also be surprised if there weren't a rare/mythic alternate win condition that says something like "If you control 8 Clues, you win the game."

I'd bet money it was derived from MaRo desperately trying to make "Assemble Contraptions" work.

Nah. The challenging part of contraptions is how you can have "assemble" be something that a creature (rather than a player) does. This is just another variant on the artifact token concept we got with Gold and Land Mine tokens.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So Delirium is interesting to me, since they've talked about the problems with threshold mechanics and its literally Threshold. I'm guessing they just had to be very careful to keep the usual problems, such as dramatic board flips, under control. I bet its not on a ton of cards

EDIT: Although it is on a common
This set is going to be weird

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What a funky mechanic.

So we're going to get something like:

Nahiri's Whereabouts 3WU
Sorcery
When you cast THIS, you may sacrifice three Clue artifacts. If you do, search your library for a card named Nahiri and put it into play. Otherwise, draw 2 cards.

FeD.nL

Flavor text on this seems to support that weird "Nahiri is Avacyn" theory. Also confirms she's still alive somehow.

Also really liking the leaves-the-battlefield ability for devil tokens.

But the person casting the spell on the card (I assume Nahiri) doesn't seem to have wings.

On another note, Jace to $100+?

Santiako

Flavor text on this seems to support that weird "Nahiri is Avacyn" theory. Also confirms she's still alive somehow.

Also really liking the leaves-the-battlefield ability for devil tokens.

I'd say that that card confirms that Nahiri is not Avacyn, and that she's at least partly red.

ultron87

"Aberrant Researcher". Delver 2: The Way Less Efficient.

Edit: The art better be a science guy with a flipped Delver in a cage and then the other side is an even larger man bug.

Nahiri, Hell Hath No Scorn BW

Legendary Creature - Vampire Artificer

When Nahiri, Hell Hath No Scorn enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card named Emrakul, Surprise!, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

BW, t: Put a card named Emrakul, Surprise! from your hand on to the battlefield. If your opponent controls a Sorin planeswalker, that card gains Haste.

2/1

Flavor text on this seems to support that weird "Nahiri is Avacyn" theory.

Err... no? She knows what's been happening on Zendikar and is going to make Sorin suffer for it. She also looks just like a regular kor lady in the picture, like she did before.It's the most decisive thing we've had yet to show that theory is wrong.

So Delirium is interesting to me, since they've talked about the problems with threshold mechanics and its literally Threshold.

They have to be careful but that doesn't mean they can't do it. The three examples we've seen so far don't seem too crazy.

pigeon

Banned
So their werewolf tack this time is wolfs turning to humans. Clever, seems fine.

Delirium is literally "let's make Tarmogoyf a mechanic". Which is okay, I guess. I wonder what kind of enablers they'll print -- it's pretty easy to print Tarmogoyf enablers.

Putting non-creature exile into red seems reasonable, but not exactly new.

Stoic Builder is much more interesting if it didn't target only your own lands in a delirium set. Disappointing!

If there were any legacy players left they'd be pissed about Invasive Surgery. Another one mana counterspell!

Investigate seems fine. I assume you'll be able to put your clue tokens together to Phoenix Wright MVC super your opponent, otherwise what's the point. I am interested to see how they make this cool, since right now it's kind of artifact cantrip Scions.

FeD.nL

On second thought, and this I'm going way overboard here, but just assuming the Avacyn = Nahiri theory still. What if Avacyn/Nahiri is a flipwalker? Now the only reason I have for this is the teaser showing a falling white feather that turns red. Assuming Sorin used/gave up Nahiri's spark to create Avacyn and now something happened that reignites her spark and causes her to regain control.

G.ZZZ

Invasive surgery is really good for legacy and modern as it hose a lot of dumb combo decks for just U as well as several blowout cards like visions, terminus, entreat, Life from the loam etc... seems more designed as a good anti-combo for modern (as you don't have FoW there), but still i predict some play in legacy too, and possibly Vintage too.

Haines

Banned
Who wants to explain to the newbie what that checklist card is for. Is there one in every pack? What do i do with it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I definetely trust this 2B Kindly Stranger fellow. Seems legit.

Who wants to explain to the newbie what that checklist card is for. Is there one in every pack? What do i do with it?

Innistrad has 2 sided cards (like Jace, Vryn's Prodigy). One of the central mechanics of the set is that every pack has a 2 sided card that can transform and its coming back in Shadows Over Innistrad (everyone knew it was).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom