• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

All these people on SA insisting that Eye won't be banned because WOTC wants to sell packs and stuff in Oath is used in the deck.

Yes, this despite Cruise and Dig making it 0 PTs and Siege Rhino busting Pod.
I mean, they weren't banned in part because they wanted to sell packs. :p

But now the PT is over. And we're moving on to SOI. They've served their purpose.

G.ZZZ

That's why u need strong answer cards in a format, to ruin on those decks who vomit their hand T1-2 and then crap themselves. Eldrazi is essentially a stompy deck from legacy that don't have to play against force of will, wastelands, brainstorms, tabernacles, terminus etc...

I'm testing Eldrazi in Legacy and it's a really good deck, possibly even T1, but is a complete bye for lands, unfavored vs Elves , about even vs Miracle, and probably unfavored vs D&T too (it's really swingy but i think D&T wins more games in the long run). It rekt however most tempo and combo lists which is Kreygasm

xXWlSMT.png

lol

Even though I strongly disagreed with the BBE banning at the time (and still think it was the wrong ban), I'm not really in favor of an unban right now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, they weren't banned in part because they wanted to sell packs. :p

But now the PT is over. And we're moving on to SOI. They've served their purpose.

Here's the thing for me: everyone keeps saying "well its just one tournament" but the problem is that Sol lands with literally no drawback breaks the rules of Modern because its fundamentally broken.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Goddamn. I'm gonna have to sell this Eldrazi deck I just bought aren't I? I knew it'd be strong, but I didn't think it'd be the entire Modern meta.

kirblar

He is so salty about having to play this format.
Here's the thing for me: everyone keeps saying "well its just one tournament" but the problem is that Sol lands with literally no drawback breaks the rules of Modern because its fundamentally broken.
Sure, but they weren't breaking anything before Oath. Deck was fun, but clearly T2.

This is a whole other thing. But the tournament's been hilarious! And good deckbuilding/finding busted stuff was rewarded.

Banning Splinter Twin and it's opressive hold on the format has resulted in a much more diverse metagame.

I mean, yes, ha ha, but I don't actually think this is a good critique. The metagame heading into the tournament -- like, what people chose to bring -- was pretty diverse and covered a ton of archetypes. It turns out that Eldrazi is just stronger (at least when it's got the element of surprise) than a lot of these other decks and it floated to the top, but that's an entirely independent event. If we hadn't banned anything, then we could have had... a bunch of Twin vs. Eldrazi matchups?

Like, as a show and an advertisement of the current set (which is what Wizards ultimately cares about) and as a demonstration of skilled players playing exciting and interesting games (which is what fans generally care about, or should) this PT was a huge success. If they need to ban out the Eldrazi deck, we're still better off to have had this PT first and then kill it afterwards.

Ashodin

I really want to face Eldrazi with my BBB deck. Boom/Bust/Burn is what I call it.

I think I can shut down Temple and Ugin before they can get going and get in for the wins.

kirblar

I mean, yes, ha ha, but I don't actually think this is a good critique. The metagame heading into the tournament -- like, what people chose to bring -- was pretty diverse and covered a ton of archetypes. It turns out that Eldrazi is just stronger (at least when it's got the element of surprise) than a lot of these other decks and it floated to the top, but that's an entirely independent event. If we hadn't banned anything, then we could have had... a bunch of Twin vs. Eldrazi matchups?

Like, as a show and an advertisement of the current set (which is what Wizards ultimately cares about) and as a demonstration of skilled players playing exciting and interesting games (which is what fans generally care about, or should) this PT was a huge success. If they need to ban out the Eldrazi deck, we're still better off to have had this PT first and then kill it afterwards.
This PT rewarded deck-builders HUGE. If you could figure out that the Eldrazi were busted, you had a huge edge on the field.

Jace can still be in the set and have cards with his face on it without being a PW card in the set.

Yes but there's a difference between appearing in the story and cards and being the face character for the set. Like obviously anything can change but they reconfirmed explicitly with OGW that because Nissa was the face PW she had to have a card.

This PT rewarded deck-builders HUGE. If you could figure out that the Eldrazi were busted, you had a huge edge on the field.

Realizing that junk tier draft eldrazis was the best build of the eldrazi deck and riding that to an 85+% winrate and multiple Top 8 slots has got to be one of the ballsiest deckbuilding wins of recent memory.

Also SSG needs to go, stat. I don't always agree with Kirblar's ban philosophy, but I'm 100% aboard that train right now.

This card 100% needs to go under their Modern banning philosophy because it doesn't create any decks but it does let tons of different decks go off faster in a more abusive, luck-driven way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that I don't know that Ghost Quartering your opponent as a sideboard strategy is that good. I mean, I guess playing Spirit guide to power early Blood Moons or something? How do you hate out this deck?

just lost in sealed to mirrorpool copying linvala

pls

I even could've won through just linvala ;_;

but you can't copy Linvala

well okay you can for the value, but how do you get the trigger twice if you already got a trigger off of Linvala the first time?

kirblar

This card 100% needs to go under their Modern banning philosophy because it doesn't create any decks but it does let tons of different decks go off faster in a more abusive, luck-driven way.
Killing the card kills the Ad Nauseum deck.

This is bad for pros because it means less free wins vs players playing the Ad Nauseum deck. Although less losses vs cheaters running the Ad Nauseum deck.

Lucario

but you can't copy Linvala

well okay you can for the value, but how do you get the trigger twice if you already got a trigger off of Linvala the first time?

I stole it with the 4R act of treason with Support 2, and he had to chump block with the token in order to live.

Angry Grimace

Chrome Mox being banned while SSG is legal makes no sense to me.

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194438678]My sealed deck for the MTGO qualifier:

pptqy2sev.png

Immediate mull to 4 and lose round 1 ggs[/QUOTE]

Why 18 lands? I know people like 18 lands for ramping and when you have awaken in your deck, but i dont see mich of that. And i think you have like 4 mana producers in your deck as well.

Im just curious to learn, ive always played 17

I didn't get to see any of the PT matches. Can anyone explain how that U/R Eldrazi deck did so well? I mean I get fast mana is busted, but I thought U/R would be a weaker version of Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace

I didn't get to see any of the PT matches. Can anyone explain how that U/R Eldrazi deck did so well? I mean I get fast mana is busted, but I thought U/R would be a weaker version of Eldrazi.

It was playing notorious Modern staple Eldrazi Skyspawner as a 4-of in the maindeck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Realizing that junk tier draft eldrazis was the best build of the eldrazi deck and riding that to an 85+% winrate and multiple Top 8 slots has got to be one of the ballsiest deckbuilding wins of recent memory.

It turns out a lot of mediocre cards get really good when they all cost 2 less

Firemind

It's because red has an 8/3 trampler for 3 mana and blue a 5/5 with cryptic command built in.

Angry Grimace

The fact that you can throw almost literally anything with "Eldrazi" on the typeline in doesn't help the argument it shouldn't be banned, I imagine.

Are Tron staples going to drop after this? And if they do, might they be good spec targets, based on the likelihood of the Eldrazi deck getting banned next?

ultron87

So I guess the MTGO Gauntlet will be something like:

The 3 Eldrazi Decks, Affinity, Infect, Death's Shadow, Abzan CoCo, Goryos?

Angry Grimace

I was wondering if they would change Madness's rules and they did. Madness now no longer gives you the option to discard normally. You are required to discard to exile then immediately decide to pay for it or put it in your graveyard. The older current ability is as follows: "If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard." The reminder text on the new cards: "If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard."

Sardonic answer: it turns out the things that make the best draft cards good are actually the same thing that make constructed cards good if you knock 2 mana off all their casting costs~

Real-ish answer: the raw power of the eldrazi deck is in playing the two lands, the final edge is in what you use those lands to do, and it turns out playing efficient evasive guys, trampling tarmogoyfs, and big beaters that tap down all your opponent's stuff so you can alpha strike is better on the whole than... not doing that.

EDIT:

It turns out a lot of mediocre cards get really good when they all cost 2 less

lol i totally hadn't seen this post when i made mine

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194442128]aaaand 0-2 drop :)

I can't remember the last time I went 0-2 in limited anything :-([/QUOTE]

What did you face. Support agro?

Haines

Banned
I was wondering if they would change Madness's rules and they did. Madness now no longer gives you the option to discard normally. You are required to discard to exile then immediately decide to pay for it or put it in your graveyard. The older current ability is as follows: "If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard." The reminder text on the new cards: "If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard."

Sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than cohort, support, and even surge.

Ashodin

Ooh they fixed it. Much sleeker now.

Angry Grimace

Sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than cohort, support, and even surge.

Madness was busted as fuck when you had free discard outlets and busted shit to go along with it because you could do dumb shit like flash in Arrogant Wurm or Basking Rootwalla off of a Wild Mongrel.

Although I have no goddamn clue what the flavor justification was for Basking Rootwalla or Arrogant Wurm to have Madness.

Ooh they fixed it. Much sleeker now.

I remember Rosewater specifically saying that the reminder text and general awkward functionality were a big part of why they couldn't bring Madness back so I would bet someone cracking that was part of what made it possible here.

Although I have no goddamn clue what the flavor justification was for Basking Rootwalla or Arrogant Wurm to have Madness.

I mean Odyssey is the block whose flavor is so bizarre and wrong that they had to create Innistrad to redeem it, so I'm not sure anyone will ever know.

(I am amused that with Madness and the Threshold-esque Delirium, the two Innistrad blocks will now have redone basically all the Odyssey block graveyard mechanics.)

I'm guessing that the main self-discard outlets will be red looters (tap, discard a card, draw a card) and enter-the-battlefield abilities like that wolf spirit that was spoiled. I can't imagine they'll include activated abilities that just have discarding as a cost anymore.

By the way, just to clear things up, if a spell or ability has you discard a card then do something else (i.e. discard a card, draw a card, discarding not part of the cost), do you pay the madness cost during the resolution of the spell (i.e. before you draw a card)? And does the madness card resolve before the rest of that spell resolves, or does it go on the stack?

On another note, the fact that investigate incidentally produces artifacts is yet another sign that Kaladesh is up next.

Haines

Banned
[–]Jo0wZ 56 points 7 hours ago
There are more in circulation if I'm to believe the dutch guy. His spanish "friend" had an entire box and gave him 1 booster as a gift. We might see more leaks in the future

Says the guy that bought the pack in that reddit thread.

Can you even imagine if a whole box gets spoiled soon?

Wizards going to need to do something quick to save face if a whole box is true lol

Santiako

[–]Jo0wZ 56 points 7 hours ago
There are more in circulation if I'm to believe the dutch guy. His spanish "friend" had an entire box and gave him 1 booster as a gift. We might see more leaks in the future

Says the guy that bought the pack in that reddit thread.

Can you even imagine if a whole box gets spoiled soon?

Wizards going to need to do something quick to save face if a whole box is true lol

That'd be so awesome.

Crocodile

Yes but there's a difference between appearing in the story and cards and being the face character for the set. Like obviously anything can change but they reconfirmed explicitly with OGW that because Nissa was the face PW she had to have a card.

Do you have a link to some SOI promo art?
You might be right but let me have this :(

Functionally, I'm not entirely sure I understand the difference. What degenerate nonsense could you do under the old rules that you can't do now?

bigkrev

Do you have a link to some SOI promo art?
You might be right but let me have this :(

Functionally, I'm not entirely sure I understand the difference. What degenerate nonsense could you do under the old rules that you can't do now?

You could discard a card, then play a land, then play the Madness card

Ashodin

I remember Rosewater specifically saying that the reminder text and general awkward functionality were a big part of why they couldn't bring Madness back so I would bet someone cracking that was part of what made it possible here.

I mean Odyssey is the block whose flavor is so bizarre and wrong that they had to create Innistrad to redeem it, so I'm not sure anyone will ever know.

(I am amused that with Madness and the Threshold-esque Delirium, the two Innistrad blocks will now have redone basically all the Odyssey block graveyard mechanics.)
Odyssey block is my favorite, absolute favorite

The post apocalyptic setting with the pit fights and shit, Cephalids, Red Hero, villain was blue (as it rightly should be), etc. Shit was baller.

Weird new mechanics, Torment being almost fully black, Judgment swinging back toward white and green, fuck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom