• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's a turrible feeling to know that yet another deck I've bought into is sure to be banned. After this weekend's results though, I can't offer any defense besides "maybe it was a one time deal and the format will correct itself?"

lol. Sigh.

kirblar

It's a turrible feeling to know that yet another deck I've bought into is sure to be banned. After this weekend's results though, I can't offer any defense besides "maybe it was a one time deal and the format will correct itself?"

lol. Sigh.
At least you should be able to make bank off the Eyes.

Daedardus

lol. Sigh.

You could say that maybe it's just the best players who all chose that deck, so it's just the best players that won and not the best decks. But with 6 out of 8 decks in the top 8 it becomes a little harder to defend, especially after seeing the brutal things that can be done with it.

Firemind

I believe Dickmann is undefeated in the constructed run and he's playing Affinity.

Robots vs. Eldrazi

Who will be king of colorless?

Whoever wins, we lose.

y2dvd

Calling for a ban right away is pretty extreme. Let's see if they can come up with something to counter the eldrazi meta first.

ElyrionX

Calling for a ban right away is pretty extreme. Let's see if they can come up with something to counter the eldrazi meta first.

They've tried with Twin. Roast and some other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head that they've printed that were clearly aimed at Twin.

What really irks me is that we've got a longass banlist but they prefer banning things than unbanning things to shake up the meta.

They've tried with Twin. Roast and some other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head that they've printed that were clearly aimed at Twin.

What really irks me is that we've got a longass banlist but they prefer banning things than unbanning things to shake up the meta.

Roast is good in Twin. You're thinking of Rending Volley.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Simian Spirit Guide had a huge spike overnight. Up to $21 TCG mid. Filled out my playset yesterday, and I am pretty happy I did.

So nervous about bannings killing the hell out of this deck though. I'll probably be forced to just flip the whole thing this week rather than hope it survives for long. Basically everything I bought for the deck has at least doubled in price from when I got it though, so it wasn't a bad investment, but I wanted to play with it at least once...

bigkrev

Ian Duke all but literally said on stream yesterday that they were going to ban this Eldrazi deck.
Talked about how they don't compromise what they design for Standard and Limited for larger formats, knowing that they will have to ban cards down the line if they break them.
No one should be surprised when they do.

I've got my eldrazi deck, and I've been thinking for a long time what it takes to beat it.

In affinity Painter's Servant shuts it down. Could also run Shrapnel Blast.
In control they need to run Spell Snare, Forked Bolt, Roast.
In burn Lightning Axe and Flame Slash.
That all in red deck is a hilarious matchup.
Death and Taxes is a hilarious matchup.
Some kind of Boom/Bust dark dwellers control deck probably shafts eldrazi hard.

There are ways to deal with eldrazi, but I'm not sure I trust people to figure it out. I would anticipate actual silver bullets for it in Shadows. In the end, if eldrazi is to stay, some new card probably needs to offset it (wasteland?). Otherwise Eye eats a ban, and even then I think that only gets rid of aggro variants.

OnPoint

LSV is a champion.

Simian Spirit Guide had a huge spike overnight. Up to $21 TCG mid. Filled out my playset yesterday, and I am pretty happy I did.

So nervous about bannings killing the hell out of this deck though. I'll probably be forced to just flip the whole thing this week rather than hope it survives for long. Basically everything I bought for the deck has at least doubled in price from when I got it though, so it wasn't a bad investment, but I wanted to play with it at least once...
Selling those then too. I'm not playing this game anymore.

Every time I like a modern deck enough to start buying the pieces it gets banned. I can't keep doing this.

bigkrev

I'm guessing every team that discovered Eldrazi is playing Eldrazi, but now that it is known as the top deck, I wouldn't be surprised by a bit of a Living End resurgance. Deck seems like it has a good matchup vs the Eldrazi decks not running Chalice of the Void

Doesn't Wizards usually like to print archetype hate in the block following that archetype getting pushed? Basically, I wonder if SOI will be getting Eldrazi hate.

bigkrev

Doesn't Wizards usually like to print archetype hate in the block following that archetype getting pushed? Basically, I wonder if SOI will be getting Eldrazi hate.

The Eldrazi cards themselves aren't the problem. It's the fact that the deck gets to play 4x Mishra's Workshop and 4x Ancient Tomb that don't damage them.

Short of Wasteland (which probably would HELP the Eldrazi deck), there is no way to fix the problem without bannings.

Daedardus

The Eldrazi cards themselves aren't the problem. It's the fact that the deck gets to play 4x Mishra's Workshop and 4x Ancient Tomb that don't damage them.

Short of Wasteland (which probably would HELP the Eldrazi deck), there is no way to fix the problem without bannings.

Eye is Legendary, so it's not really the same as workshop. That said, it's still overpowered in combo with Temple, so something definitely needs to be done about it.

ultron87

Play Fair! W
Enchantment

Mana costs of spells cannot be reduced.

If a mana source would produce more than one mana, it produces one mana of a type it can produce instead.

FeD.nL

I would be sad to see Eye go. I've been playing with it in my U-tron deck for a while now and really like it. Hopefully they just target Eldrazi Temple but I know Eye is probably the biggest offender.

I hope that they print some madness cards that work well with One with Nothing.

What if there was a card that destroyed all non-artifact colorless creatures? Thinking about it, I'm not sure how they could cost that card to be effective in modern while not destroying standard.

Maledict

Nope, that's the old policy. Nowadays they try to print hate in the block itself, to act as a natural counter should it get out of hand (such as the graveyard hate in Inistrad block). They don't seem to have anticipated how strong the Eldrazi deck would be however, and there doesn't seem to be any easily available counters for it.

Lucario

Glad I picked up sets of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors on puca. Gives me a chance to play this in Legacy when it gets the hammer in Modern.

Just seems like Dragon Stompy with better creatures so far, which is sweet.

bigkrev

Glad I picked up sets of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors on puca. Gives me a chance to play this in Legacy when it gets the hammer in Modern.

Yeah, that is the real story here. Deck gets Wasteland over Quarter and Ancient Tomb. It's legit.

What? A COMMON that's less than 10 years old is $20? That's absurd. No way that's sustainable even if the deck doesn't get banned.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah, that is the real story here. Deck gets Wasteland over Quarter and Ancient Tomb. It's legit.

Yeah, potentially rather than selling off the pieces to my deck, maybe I should try to figure out how to pivot it into Legacy. Don't have any City of Traitors though, which seems pretty cost prohibitive.

Feels strange being disappointed that a deck I bought into is too good though...

Yeah, potentially rather than selling off the pieces to my deck, maybe I should try to figure out how to pivot it into Legacy. Don't have any City of Traitors though, which seems pretty cost prohibitive.

Feels strange being disappointed that a deck I bought into is too good though...

Sell them now and after the banning, when they plummet, rebuy. Legacy alone won't keep Eyes at $50

What? A COMMON that's less than 10 years old is $20? That's absurd. No way that's sustainable even if the deck doesn't get banned.

A common from a small set in Time Spiral block, just in terms of copies in existence, is gonna be closer to a rare from a modern set than a common.

Eldrazi doing its best shops impression

I just sold my playset lol

Lucario

The constrained supply of OGW online has made prices hilarious. Swiss sealed is positive EV with a 50% win rate right now, assuming you sell your cards at buylist prices. I've never seen an in-print set on MTGO with this much value at rare.

Also, don't sell your OGW bulk mythics online. This set is definitely worth redeeming, and they'll be spiking hard in price in a few months.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess my only real way to beat the Eldrazi deck is to just jam

Image.ashx

turn 4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";194494412]Or you could play a good card like Damnation or Ensnaring Bridge.[/QUOTE]

Or I could just play Lantern yes we know know ffs stop talking about Lantern

People please, all your three and four drops get equally Thought Knotted before you get to play them.
People that play ensnaring bridge and damnation tend to have more hand disruption than the eldrazi deck does...

It was a fantastic choice for this pro tour and it's a great deck, but it's not the unbeatable monster people are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom