• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like the fact that the new Force of Will art is.....also Terese Nielson
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

y2dvd

Augh screw that reserved list. External and yet the most important cards, the duallands, can't be reprinted. Screw all that noise!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A 1 mana creature with three abilities and an evasion ability? What?

8V02vpMi07.png

red13th

Yeah them not reprinting dual lands is the biggest disappointment in Eternal Masters, but you take what you can get.
So many possibilities. I wonder which gold cards will make the cut too. If it follows a MM-style build, we'll see two per guild. Fingers crossed for Vindicate!

ironmang

So I'm guessing eternal masters going to get opened like crazy then people are going to sell when they realize all the good decks require many expensive duals and other reserve list pieces.

SCG already lowered buylist on wastelands to $20 and Forces to $30. I guess I'll be holding onto mine for now lol.

Angry Grimace

So I'm guessing eternal masters going to get opened like crazy then people are going to sell when they realize all the good decks require many expensive duals and other reserve list pieces. SCG already lowered buylist on wastelands to $20.

I think a format shakeup is coming, but I don't know if its anytime soon or if it involves banning the duals, or making a new format without the duals legal.

But I can sense they're not happy with the fact people can't actually play with old cards.

Angry Grimace

The other problem with consipiracy was that it really bulked up the Legacy/Vintage banned list by adding 13 cards that needed to be banned.

I also think it's super telling they haven't confirmed this set for MTGO yet.

I'm not sure what it would be telling of. I don't think its very likely they exclude it from MTGO, although honestly its not even necessary on MTGO. I would not pay to draft it because nothing on MTGO is worth anything in old formats due to VMA having been in "print" for like 4 months at a time.

Angry Grimace

Finally the draft format where I can hit people with Hymn to Tourach and look them in the eye.

Angry Grimace

I can't see Hymn in this set as anything other than a Rare. It's designed to be drafted!

I drafted VMA like 20 times and I might have Hymn'd my opponent (Hymn was an uncommon) like twice. It was very rarely a good play because black sucked because the set did not include Modern legal cards and black was historically balanced around Dark Ritual.

Doesn't this mean you should pick up your dual lands now?

Not unless you want to play the dumpster fire that is Legacy

Someone on CFB did an article on reserved list free legacy and how it'd mostly compromise the mana bases.

Having to use shocks would be a big deal for some decks.

Turn 1->
Shock -> Dark Ritual -> Entomb -> Reanimate -> Activate Griselbrand

17 damage to yourself. The shock is the difference between being dead to bolt or not, or being able to crack a fetch for a second dual land.

It also makes Ad Nauseum worse, etc.

Angry Grimace

So far the art in SOI looks god-like compared to BFZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195351263]Having to use shocks would be a big deal for some decks.

Turn 1->

17 damage to yourself. The shock is the difference between being dead to bolt or not, or being able to crack a fetch for a second dual land.

It also makes Ad Nauseum worse, etc.[/QUOTE]

Just don't activate Griselbrand until you connect with it or someone tries to Swords it I guess, in which case you gain 7 life anyways.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195351263]Having to use shocks would be a big deal for some decks.

Turn 1->

It also makes Ad Nauseum worse, etc.[/QUOTE]

but how viable is reanimator anyways?

red13th

I'm not very (read at all) interested in the SoI spoilers from the duel deck, which is mostly chaff. Cuttable cube slots are starting to get extremely rare anyway, especially after adding pre-8E card.

I love the new FoW artwork too.

Angry Grimace

It would make me laugh if the reason there's no announcement for MTGO is because they're getting the real EMA on MTGO that has dual lands and Gaea's Cradle in it.

Haines

Banned
I really like tooth collector. One thing i love about hearthstone is the character that pops out of the cards, and things like tooth collector and saddleback lagac hit that sweet spot for me. It feels like tye card has a little life of its own if you know what i mean.

How do you even draft that eternal set, you just plop down 30 dollars?

SOI looks like ana amazing set so far as long as the mechanics actually do work, and worth setting up.

Santiako

These are the cards named by the original leaker:

Show and Tell
Wasteland
Zendikar Fetchlands
Swords to Plowshares
Lotus Petal
Rishadan Port

Show and Tell
Wasteland
Zendikar Fetchlands
Swords to Plowshares
Lotus Petal
Rishadan Port
Force of Will being reprinted at all is bigger news than any of these. Mythic seems about right.

Wasteland at rare is a shocker, IMO. I'll be picking up 4 of those.

but how viable is reanimator anyways?
Reanimator is pretty strong, it wasn't too long ago that it was always at the top tables and it got a slight buff from Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.
Just don't activate Griselbrand until you connect with it or someone tries to Swords it I guess, in which case you gain 7 life anyways.

The scenario I presented is basically to try and win turn one. You chain Griselbrand into Tidespout Tyrant/Sire of Insanity and lock out your opponent. Later in the game you can just grab Iona or Elesh Norn instead of Griselbrand to win.

You can just get Sire of Insanity turn one but I've lost a few times to that gamble.

red13th

Draft Through Eternity

Take a step outside time with Eternal Masters. This exciting set lets you draw on some of the most sought-after cards from throughout the history of Magic—some with new artwork—to enhance your Cube or your favorite Commander, Vintage, and Legacy decks.

Eternal Masters is designed to be a unique and enjoyable Draft experience, much like Modern Masters. It will not contain cards from the Reserved List, but it will feature many exciting Eternal staples, including:

I read the announcement more carefully, so, if they CLAIM it's meant to enhance our cubes it must have cube staples like Armageddon, Opposition etc. Come on Wizards!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195353198]Reanimator is pretty strong, it wasn't too long ago that it was always at the top tables and it got a slight buff from Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that much knowledge of legacy but I only ever saw reanimator in legacy cube. There were some decks that could go reanimator post board though.

ironmang

Show and Tell
Wasteland
Zendikar Fetchlands
Swords to Plowshares
Lotus Petal
Rishadan Port

Yep, panic selling my Show and Tells before people put together 2+2.

Would love a Bribery reprint... is that reserved list?

Believe that was first printed in Masques which is the first expansion to not have any reserve listed cards (I believe).

I don't have that much knowledge of legacy but I only ever saw reanimator in legacy cube. There were some decks that could go reanimator post board though.

I love Reanimator. It's extremely fast(the fastest deck in legacy) and deceptively resilient.

You play a full 8 free counter spells, and 6-8 of the coolest cards in Magic:

3-4 Griselbrand: Keeps your deck churning even through removal and countermagic, very quick clock
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite: creature decks like Elves scoop on the spot
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria: basically invalidates many midrange/controlling decks
0-1: Tidespout Tyrant: turbo iona if you can keep the cards flowing
0-1: Sire of Insanity: immediately ends the game turn one on the play, otherwise mediocre
0-1: Grave Titan: Anti-Karakas tech, somewhat hard castable
0-1: Sphinx of the Steel Wind: lol aggro

Reanimator regularly has 1-3 of these in play by turn two.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195354719]I love Reanimator. It's extremely fast(the fastest deck in legacy) and deceptively resilient.
[/QUOTE]

I always felt like Charblecher was the fastest, win or lose. It's either Turn 1 win, or Turn 1 loss with that deck. Unless you meant good decks.

Firemind

The original art is just too iconic.

I hadn't even noticed Terese Nielsen made the new art. Something is off. Almost like it's computer enhanced/altered.

shP7WfGomM.png
hHtcsTPFCp.png
WdcMPi29qa.png
8V02vpMi07.png

* Eerie Interlude seems alright. It's ripe with combo potential, of course. Is there anything in Standard it could work with?
* I like the flavor of Compelling Deterrence, but I'm surprised that monoblue is getting a "return to hand, that player discards" effect, even if it requires a usually-black zombie. One thing to note is that you can do this to yourself to save a creature and cast a madness card.
* As mentioned, Tooth Collector is pretty neat. It has both a flavorful effect and art that's unique for modern Magic that brings a lot of charisma to this madman. It really does look like something I'd expect from Odyssey block.
* Topplegeist has nice art too, and the ability is interesting. I note that both this and Tooth Collector have delirium abilities that trigger on each opponent's upkeep.

Mindwrack Demon also does have the delirium ability word after all. I wonder why that didn't show up on the earlier leak? Did people just avoid it when translating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom