• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Draft Archtypes

U/B- Storm (Common Tendrels of Agony)
W/R- Cycling? (Common Lightning Rift/Astral Slide?)
R/B- Small Creature Aggro (this would be a good place to reprint $40 Goblin Settler, maybe also uses Rites of Initiation)
B/G- Reanimator

red13th

More from the reddit guy:

Cards I know are in the set : Port, Stoneforge.

Cards I know via verbal communication : Zen fetches, Mother of Runes, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, a piece of the elf deck, Sneak and/or Show, Judgement wishes.

This is a good thing, though.

ugh Infernal Tutor means probably no Imperial Seal/Vampiric Tutor.
Sneak Attack would be the perfect red mythic, it's one of the best red cards ever, Urza's Block is amazing etc. Show and Tell would be cool too.
Rishadan Port is very cool, already have SFM, Zen Fetches and Mother. The rest doesn't interest me :p

I feel like you have two options with these "Masters" sets: a) an interesting and balanced limited format, or b) a set brimming with desired reprints.

MM1 was both of these though?

It's really not a problem to balance these two desires. Limited design cares less about each rarity as you go up, while using reprint equity cares more. Basically anything that makes reasonable sense to reprint can get bumped up at least to uncommon, often to rare, and still introduce useful amounts of supply. Almost nothing people are seriously hoping to have reprinted is actually a problem to have as a rare or mythic in a draft-focused set (I mean, we led off this set's previews with Wasteland and Force of Will....)

Ultimately when people complain about these sets being designed for draft, they a) fundamentally misunderstand WotC's business models and b) are going after something that seems like an easy target rather than trying to actually think about what goes into making a reprint set good or bad.

My wife bought me a Mox Diamond for Valentines Day. :) (And a Gamble)

Okay...

Here's the deal, I really want to get into MTGO Legacy and Modern, which means to fund that I need to start selling my collection, or trading for Tix?

Do any of you have suggestions on what to do in this case? I'll likely keep three Commander decks and maybe Modern Jund and Legacy Stoneblade / Miracles. But other than that, I need to offload a bunch of cards.

bigkrev

CbSiGoxUkAAfGdm.jpg

All of these Non-Eldrazi decks are unplayable

Santiako

Boy howdy did it. You think this one might suck as well? I have a bad feeling about it.

I can't see the set sucking if it has at the very least Wasteland, Force of Will, Rishadan Port, Swords to Plowshares, Stoneforge Mystic, the Zendikar fetches, Mother of Runes, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, a piece of the elf deck, Sneak and/or Show and the Judgement wishes.

OnPoint

I can't see the set sucking if it has at the very least Wasteland, Force of Will, Rishadan Port, Swords to Plowshares, Stoneforge Mystic, the Zendikar fetches, Mother of Runes, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, a piece of the elf deck, Sneak and/or Show and the Judgement wishes.

There's big implications if some of those are in for drafting strategies, which would be awesome.

SFM = Good equipment theme
Petal/Tutor/Ritual = Storm/Tendrils
Sneak/Show = Good/big fatties (Craterhoof maybe?)

Crocodile

If the leaked cards are correct, its the exact opposite of sucking.

Blowing?

#Kappa

Anyway, glad to have this confirmed. Hopefully this is more like MM1 than MM2015 and we aren't just blowing our load on unofficial spoilers and in reality all the commons/uncommons suck or something. That they are using Modern cards too makes me feel better about the limited format. I don't want a bunch of Midnight Banshees ate rare this time though.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195400121]Daybreak Coronet was in MM2.[/QUOTE]

As well as Splinter Twin, which had nothing to really work with.

I'm sure some are there just for reprintability. But they can't all be there for that.

kirblar

Lists have been going around for a while and mox diamond is probably not correct. We'll see though.

EDIT: also that land matchup description sounds very wrong. Eldrazi for lands is as close as a bye as possible. You can't beat chain of tabernacles and wastelands.
Ya, it's just showing up in enough decks (even if bad) and is on the reserve list, so...

OnPoint

Why? Lapille only led the design part of this, there was an entire other team after that to fix any bullshit.
History is probably against my fears given that thought, but I still strongly fear WotC has no idea how to handle non-standard formats. This set could personify that.

noquarter

Guess it is cool to see that Eternal Masters is real. Hope they give these types of reprint sets a rest every once in awhile and bring back Planechase or Archenemy. Or give Commander a break for a second and print those.

Also don't think I'd be too quick to sell a lot of these. Force and Wasteland are still four ofs in decks that play them and at $10 a pack wouldn't expect to see them drop too much at all. A lot of them will probably also just end up in cubes and EDH decks.

Guess it is cool to see that Eternal Masters is real. Hope they give these types of reprint sets a rest every once in awhile and bring back Planechase or Archenemy.

I like these reprint products, but if they're gonna take the slot that was designed for multiplayer/casual/experimental products and give it over to stuff intended solely for hardcore competitive players, they really need to add another slot.

kirblar

I like these reprint products, but if they're gonna take the slot that was designed for multiplayer/casual/experimental products and give it over to stuff intended solely for hardcore competitive players, they really need to add another slot.
The other slot is Casual though.

The logical place would be after the fall set, since Eternal Masters is being released soon after the spring set, but that would put it in the holiday season, and apparently TCG products actually sell worse at that time than other points in the year.

The other slot is Casual though.

It would be pretty shitty if EDH is literally the only non-hardcore-tournament thing that a product can ever support because they turned the early-summer set into annual reprints and can't squeeze out another slot somewhere.

Ashodin

I love Conspiracy and shit tho. Those sets are unique and interesting for the flavors of the planes they introduce.

I like the idea of side-introducing planes through these type of releases, then doing a main set on the plane where the Gatewatch / Planeswalkers get involved

You'll notice the only PW Conspiracy had for it was Dack.

So they could introduce the setting and have cards that show off the plane but nothing planeshattering is happening to it until it hits the main story.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It would be pretty shitty if EDH is literally the only non-hardcore-tournament thing that a product can ever support because they turned the early-summer set into annual reprints and can't squeeze out another slot somewhere.

I genuinely want more weird shit like Planechase. I don't think we need more Planechase specifically, but just more experimental product

noquarter

What's the point of not releasing the set list all at once? There aren't any new mechanics, this isn't competing with a core set anymore so you don't really want to take too much from the new block, and just releasing it will prevent people from 'leaking' lists for money.

Especially this set, they really don't seem to want to hype it up at all. They had a good spotlight to premiere info last weekend and they didn't use it and then they just let it whimper out on a holiday weekend. I really don't understand WotC at all.

Edit:And yeah, wish they would try more supplemental stuff. Planechase EDH is pretty fun and so is Planechase cube. Archenemy EDH was also pretty fun, since then they know they will be getting teamed up against. Would like to see if they could make a spy type set, where one or two people are the spies, but only they know and they come up with a way to let them communicate or something. Conspiracy was cool as a cube supplemental and wouldn't mind see them trying more in that realm. Maybe 5 100 card decks that you can 'draft' with a friend, but can take all five and make a cube. Something. They have so much space and they are wasting it, IMO, on only Commander and now reprints.

ironmang

LEDs starting to creep up so I panic bought 3 for like ~85 each lol. Going to just sell all my non-reserve list staples and finish Belcher/ANT to have a reprint-safe deck for now.

Crocodile

What's the point of not releasing the set list all at once? There aren't any new mechanics, this isn't competing with a core set anymore so you don't really want to take too much from the new block, and just releasing it will prevent people from 'leaking' lists for money.

Especially this set, they really don't seem to want to hype it up at all. They had a good spotlight to premiere info last weekend and they didn't use it and then they just let it whimper out on a holiday weekend. I really don't understand WotC at all.

If WOTC spills the entire Eternal Masters list now, people will get hype and talk about it a shit-ton but then we'll move into Shadows of Innistrad spoilers and then release. All the attention for Eternal Masters will be lost and they would have to build it all up again after SoI but wouldn't have the tool of spoilers at their disposal anymore. I personally don't care but its obvious why they would and should care from their perspective.

noquarter

Does not compute....
The second part was just referring to the timing of the announcement being a week after they had a pro tour on with the focus on a non-rotating format. The perfect place to announce something like this. But I guess they do want to bring people to the website and see the Magic Story, so...
If WOTC spills the entire Eternal Masters list now, people will get hype and talk about it a shit-ton but then we'll move into Shadows of Innistrad spoilers and then release. All the attention for Eternal Masters will be lost and they would have to build it all up again after SoI but wouldn't have the tool of spoilers at their disposal anymore. I personally don't care but its obvious why they would and should care from their perspective.
How much do you really have to hype a set that is limited and will sell out, even at $10 MSRP a pack (probably be $15 to buy in practice)? They have a finite amount of cards to sell, and they will be sold out as soon as they take orders. They really don't have to do much for this set.

You are right though. Guess they probably also are worried about the format being 'solved' before the first booster is even cracked. Just seems like this is prime territory for 'conspiracy theorists' to go start shit among retailers and WotC getting a bad name if information does get out there, solely due to the potential value of the cards that are possible to see reprinting.

Hopefully we see Serum Vision's and other expensive commons getting a reprint.

Whole set leaks are a waste. Need to build up hype. Not sure how hard that is to understand.
And I totally agree with that when they are actually sets. Reprint sets that are already going to be limited aren't the same. Especially when leaks could see some companies getting the potential to save themselves hundreds to thousands of dollars and others lose that much. We already know that WotC has had problems with leaks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Selling out of Standard seems like an odd choice if qualifying for anything ever is something you're interested in.

Selling out of Standard seems like an odd choice if qualifying for anything ever is something you're interested in.

Ehh, I can borrow my roommate's Atarka Red deck if I really feel like showing up to a Standard PPTQ. I've always been more interested in Limited, and there's still a bunch of qualifiers on MODO for Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom