• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

I always felt like Charblecher was the fastest, win or lose. It's either Turn 1 win, or Turn 1 loss with that deck. Unless you meant good decks.

Belcher is actually the type of deck that sometimes wins long games. Playing out petals and walls while drawing into a couple red blasts and rituals to beat soft counters is more effective than it should be. Helps that people aggressively mulligan to force which might leave them with nothing after they stop your first attempt.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys,

First post in this thread. Do any of you know if Magic is currently the most relevant card game being played?

I played a lot of card games as a teenager but kind of fell out of it. I recently have felt a longing to pick something up again. I have never played magic, but I was wondering if this coupled with anything else is still being played a lot?

I am a big adenture time fan, and I heard there is a card game for that now too...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The original art is just too iconic.

I hadn't even noticed Terese Nielsen made the new art. Something is off. Almost like it's computer enhanced/altered.

Looks like regular art to me:
aoTiakH5Vx.png

OnPoint

* Eerie Interlude seems alright. It's ripe with combo potential, of course. Is there anything in Standard it could work with?
?

Any Eldrazi with Scion producing or trigger abilities on battlefield entrance and not casting come to mind. Thought-knot Seer among them.

NM Force of Will down to 60-ish dollars on tcgplayer right now. Tempted to grab some because who knows how long the lower prices will last

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
* Topplegeist has nice art too, and the ability is interesting. I note that both this and Tooth Collector have delirium abilities that trigger on each opponent's upkeep.

Looks like they're part of a cycle with an ETB effect that repeats that effect if you have Delirium

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey guys,

First post in this thread. Do any of you know if Magic is currently the most relevant card game being played?

I played a lot of card games as a teenager but kind of fell out of it. I recently have felt a longing to pick something up again. I have never played magic, but I was wondering if this coupled with anything else is still being played a lot?

I am a big adenture time fan, and I heard there is a card game for that now too...

I would say so yes, in terms of general awareness, sales, competitive scene etc. If you're including digital games Hearthstone is the other one, but if we're talking physical cards Magic has pulled out in front of the pack ahead of Pokemon and YuGiOh

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ugh. Just bought a Karakas the other day. It was pretty cheap though, so I certainly hope if it finds it's way into this set the price doesn't take a huge hit.

I was thinking of getting back into magic again. Do people still complain when you show up and play with nothing but basic lands that are proxies of super expensive cards that you don't own?

I was thinking of getting back into magic again. Do people still complain when you show up and play with nothing but basic lands that are proxies of super expensive cards that you don't own?

Proxies are hit or miss. If someone plays them against me and is doing it simply for testing purposes, I have no problem generally. But if we're playing commander over and over again and they are only using proxies...it's far less fun.

Hey guys,

Magic has actually been increasing in popularity over the last few years (granted, that's probably mostly due to growth worldwide). There's a big section in the opening post about starting out, if you're interested.

As for licensed card games like the Adventure Time one, the fact of the matter is that you're going to have a very hard time finding other people to play it with outside of conventions. TCGs are simply a hard market to break into in the United States.

That sort of thing is generally frowned upon for more recent cards, but it's tolerated for older cards that you'd have to shell out hundreds of dollars for. Just remember to alert the people you're playing with ahead of time.

ironmang

I don't care if people use proxies for just playing fun games but you really should put in a little more effort than just writing card names on basic lands. Printing out proxies makes the experience a lot better for everybody involved.

OnPoint

I hope so. If you're going to proxy in public go most of the way and at least print out b&w pictures to slip in the sleves. Scribbled on lands is a horrible way to play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any Eldrazi with Scion producing or trigger abilities on battlefield entrance and not casting come to mind. Thought-knot Seer among them.

Eerie Interlude your Goblin Dark-Dwellers, returns targeting Eerie Interlude, targeting Goblin Dark-Dwellers =V

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The original art is just too iconic.

I hadn't even noticed Terese Nielsen made the new art. Something is off. Almost like it's computer enhanced/altered.

it's probably just a combination of artist maturation and wizards style guides

An-Det

Nice to see Eternal Masters confirmed. I didn't realize until someone mentioned it earlier that Karakas wasn't on the Reserved List so I'm really hoping that's in this since it's one of the few staples that I don't have a set of. Shame Cradle is on there, though. Man fuck the Reserved List.

I want a set of those Wastelands. I have 2 sets of the original, but I'm a sucker for good art in the new frame.

It actually sounds like people are way more open to proxies than back when I used to play. I do like cracking packs and playing drafts, but I still hate the thought of spending hundreds of dollars just to have a competitive deck that will go out of rotation in a couple of months.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I honestly don't give a single nugget of a shit about the art of a card. I'm just excited more product is being introduced to the market. Old art, new art...as long as I got 4 of 'em and they're not fucking foils, I'm good.

Angry Grimace

It actually sounds like people are way more open to proxies than back when I used to play. I do like cracking packs and playing drafts, but I still hate the thought of spending hundreds of dollars just to have a competitive deck that will go out of rotation in a couple of months.

Magic is and always will be a game for the affluent, unfortunately. I doubt you'll find people who will let you show up with a deck full of Plains with "Siege Rhino" written on it.

Well, I mean, if you're playing Standard (the rotating format), then proxies are a complete no-go outside the most casual of casual groups, and even then, they'd probably only allow you to proxy lands.

OnPoint

Magic is and always will be a game for the affluent, unfortunately. I doubt you'll find people who will let you show up with a deck full of Plains with "Siege Rhino" written on it.

If it were a casual game and they were at least readable proxies? I'd probably play. If it were 'Plains with 'Siege Rhino' written on them', casual game or serious, I would laugh them out of the state.

Eerie Interlude your Goblin Dark-Dwellers, returns targeting Eerie Interlude, targeting Goblin Dark-Dwellers =V

have to quote this again but imagine.

Helicopter Parents, Ref. Mage, GDD in play, play eerie interlude blink all of them twice, get 4 tokens bounce 2 creatures that can't be played next turn and play another 3 CMC or less spell from your gy.
If you weren't winning already you should be now.

Hallowed moonlight wrecks you.

ironmang

1 Wasteland sold, 3 more to go. Probably just going to sell forces next even if I doubt they'll tank much. Time to pick up LEDs and build belcher.

Btw, if anybody has belcher pieces (mostly Burning Wish, LED, and Chrome Mox) I'd be interested in trading for them. If you want forces I'll trade at a discount. If you want some other stuff like vials or duals I'll have a bunch of extra stuff to trade.

Angry Grimace

I think that they probably were like "fuck" when Reflector Mage saw a ton of play after they printed all of these instant speed flickers.

ultron87

I enjoy the flavor of Topplegeist. "Oh, nice candle stick you have there. Wouldn't it be spoooooky if it was on the groooound?" And that is the ghost's entire gimmick.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some good art this set, especially with Topplegeist.

If you own wastelands, I'd sell right now

I don't, but my friend who got four from Storage Wars is gonna be real happy he sold them last month, lol.

I don't know if its coincidence or not but I get the feeling we're done seeing sets like Conspiracy that can't go on MTGO.

I don't think MTGO is really the limit there, they have a lot of other ways to get cards onto MTGO (e.g. Commander 2015 wasn't sold as-is either.) I think the bigger issue is just that there's a market for a semi-limited reprint set every year so unless they decide they can do a wacky/multiplayer product as well each year the latter are gonna get squeezed out.

But I can sense they're not happy with the fact people can't actually play with old cards.

Yeah contra reddit conspiracy theory, old cards being playable is actually a very good thing for WotC sales-wise (although heavily showcasing formats composed entirely of old cards is not.)

Mindwrack Demon also does have the delirium ability word after all. I wonder why that didn't show up on the earlier leak? Did people just avoid it when translating?

Yep, it's right there on the leaked card if you look at it, pretty obvious even in Japanese since the — is there in the text, I guess just nobody thought to translate it for some reason?

bigkrev

Distribution numbers up on the WPN website

2–3 cases for WPN Core level stores
3–6 cases for WPN Advanced level stores
6–12 cases for WPN Advanced Plus level stores

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/eternal-masters

Think that is slightly less than MM2015. (1 case is 6 booster boxes), but still enough that stores will be able to run at least 1 draft event

EDIT: Here are the MM2015 numbers
2–3 cases for WPN Core level stores
5–6 cases for WPN Advanced level stores
9–12 cases for WPN Advanced Plus level stores
http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/modern-masters-2015-edition

All of the art from the SoI cards is very reassuring

I feel mildly supported on my theory that BFZ ran into schedule-changing/scaling issues on art the same way it did on the design now.

Think that is slightly less than MM2015. (1 case is 6 booster boxes), but still enough that stores will be able to run at least 1 draft event

That's unfortunate. Combine that with the lack of a 20k player GP weekend and it's a significantly smaller amount of supply.

bigkrev

I feel mildly supported on my theory that BFZ ran into schedule-changing/scaling issues on art the same way it did on the design now.

That's unfortunate. Combine that with the lack of a 20k player GP weekend and it's a significantly smaller amount of supply.

They made too much MM2015. You could find boxes for under MSRP a few months ago, and I think the demand for Legacy cards (where you still need thousands of dollars in Dual lands that won't be in this set) is going to be lower than the demand for Modern cards

More from the reddit guy:

Cards I know are in the set : Port, Stoneforge.

Cards I know via verbal communication : Zen fetches, Mother of Runes, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, a piece of the elf deck, Sneak and/or Show, Judgement wishes.

They made too much MM2015. You could find boxes for under MSRP a few months ago

This is a good thing, though.

Santiako

More from the reddit guy:

Cards I know are in the set : Port, Stoneforge.

Cards I know via verbal communication : Zen fetches, Mother of Runes, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, a piece of the elf deck, Sneak and/or Show, Judgement wishes.

I like all of that. So good.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So it's going to be an awful limited format.

I feel like you have two options with these "Masters" sets: a) an interesting and balanced limited format, or b) a set brimming with desired reprints. I'd take the latter every day of the week and let WotC worry about limited with the traditional standard block sets.

kirblar

They made too much MM2015. You could find boxes for under MSRP a few months ago, and I think the demand for Legacy cards (where you still need thousands of dollars in Dual lands that won't be in this set) is going to be lower than the demand for Modern cards
The issue wasn't that they made too much.

It's that the set sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom