• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

I'm reading that twitter account, ouch. That's bad!

And I agree with WanderingWind, I think it's likely sometime that they expand Modern and create a Modern replacement. I mean Modern will only keep on growing and Legacy is basically dead already, it makes sense to "merge" Modern and Legacy (difference will be minimal) and create a Post-Modern format down the road.
Not to mention Modern has terrible public image already and the ever-expanding banlist/forced rotations (a necessary evil, sure, but still.) will only make it worse.
I don't think it will happen soon though.

Firemind

Speaking of Miracles, both it and Lands being so miserable to play against has done a lot to push me away from the format. I seriously never got the hate that Show and Tell decks always receive. Sure, it's dumb and can win by just dropping lands and playing a 3 mana spell with force backup but it has massive problems with cards like cabal therapy and daze. Lands and Miracles combine to be super oppressive to almost every deck and Miracles just keeps getting cards that make it better. Mentor, Council's Judgement, Containment Priest, Dig for awhile, and more to come I'm sure. Something as simple as banning Top would do a lot of good for opening up the format and showing people enjoyable games of magic instead of sitting there watching some asshole "spin top" 3 times on each turn.
lands loses to any combo deck.

why the cutouts in the corners? why the chunky comicsans-esque lemniscate?

it would have looked way better without those things

found the answer on reddit

kwJDLOv.png

ironmang

lands loses to any combo deck.

Lands destroys elves. It has a lot of game against reanimator too. Crop rotation is a powerful card and can fuck up a lot of the combo kill attempts across most combo decks. It struggles against combo sure but it's not some huge underdog. Show and Tell and Painter are the only combo decks I'd put in that horrible matchup category.

Both decks have very few bad matchups and they're almost always fringe. That makes them popular and having to play against these kind of lock out decks all day is unfun, at least for me. I'd rather lose to broken decks like Dig-Omnitell or Eldrazi rather than be locked out of longggg games against Lands or Lantern Control. Thankfully Lantern Control isn't everywhere and I'm allowed to play magic in Modern.

I'm reading that twitter account, ouch. That's bad!

It's kind of making me sick. I love the game of Magic. I think Standard, Modern, Legacy, and Vintage are all really sweet formats that can cater to different styles of players. And while I understand that keeping the "value" of cards intact is fundamental to the game's structure and that torching the value of cards isn't actually good for the game, I also think it's a fucking disgrace that it costs hundreds to play Standard, over a thousand for Modern, and multiple thousands for Legacy.

OnPoint

Vial's a good one.

Should probably unload my Past in Flames now then.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195481778]There's Cabal Therapy, now all I need to know is that this set is Modern-legal and I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

Modern legal Oath of Druids? That would be insane.

y2dvd

It's kind of making me sick. I love the game of Magic. I think Standard, Modern, Legacy, and Vintage are all really sweet formats that can cater to different styles of players. And while I understand that keeping the "value" of cards intact is fundamental to the game's structure and that torching the value of cards isn't actually good for the game, I also think it's a fucking disgrace that it costs hundreds to play Standard, over a thousand for Modern, and multiple thousands for Legacy.

I'm on the opposite. Keeping the value hurts the game but I know it's integral to the collecting aspect of tcg.

Ignoring the 'leaked lists' would Goblin Guide not be a candidate for EM? Or is it not widely played outside Modern? (Presuming Wizards don't just hold it back for a future MM)

Yeef

I'm skeptical of that list. I can't imagine they'd put Maro at rare in this day and age. It's an uncommon effect, at best in a standard-legal set. in something like this it could probably be downgraded to common.

FeD.nL

Someone of my playgroup said that WotC never upgraded a rare > mythic if the original set contained mythics. So why is Snapcaster mythic on that list especially with Noble Hierarch being rare in MM15?

I smell BS

hermit7

Here's hoping goblin guide can get a reprint here.

Burn costs nearly 900 dollars in modern and guide itself is around 170 for a playset.

red13th

Someone of my playgroup said that WotC never upgraded a rare > mythic if the original set contained mythics. So why is Snapcaster mythic on that list especially with Noble Hierarch being rare in MM15?

I smell BS

Yup, that too. They generally downgrade, but there was never an upgrade to Mythic if the set the card was released in already had Mythic Rares. It's not like they couldn't do it but it seems like a weird thing to do in a set supposedly crammed with goodies from pre-Mythic sets.

ultron87

I smell BS

Force is going from Uncommon to Mythic! :D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Popcorn keeps flowing. Deepthroat there is now following people who are knowledgeable of the 'insider trading' allegations. And there are a few MTG Finance folks. Leavitt said he was pretty sure Deepthroat was one of those guys.

He could very well be a troll.

MTGDeepthroat ‏@Vendorleak 3m3 minutes ago
For what it's worth, all of these people are innocent. But they all have witnessed what has gone on amongst mutliple vendors.

and

Aaron Forsythe ‏@mtgaaron 54s55 seconds ago
"Eternal" is not the name of a format, real or imaginary. #thetruthisoutthere

bigkrev

Jace's Archivist makes me think the list is real (because LOL), but Cursed Scroll confirms that it is fake. They have only fucked up once with Reserved list cards (Feroz's Ban), and that was almost 20 years ago.

WanderingWind

WotC is not having a good start to a year, that's for sure.

- Poor reception to Twin banning
- Oath leaks
- Judge bannings/backlash
- Trick Jarrett's PR skills
- Elrazi Winter
- Everything happening this week.

The ship is without a captain. The scalliwags are playing.

WanderingWind

I'm probably never, ever going to play with them unless I build a Cube. Which sounds unfun. I may sell them.

It's a touchy spot right now. If they're not in ETM, they'll go up from where they are. If they are, they'll stay where they are right now, but then dip down before climbing. Be careful. But yeah, a massive jump like you just saw is a great time to at least plan to unload.

What the f is going on at wotc if that twitter is to be believed?

Mostly that whoever's in charge of vendor relations hasn't learned their lesson and is still letting NDAed information leave the building. The stuff in that twitter is way more damning to the vendors in question than WotC overall!

I would be shocked if Wizards reprinted Mana Drain ever. Why would they do that?

They literally just did! XD

I wonder how they let things reach this point of complete chaos? Their management always seemed decently competent.

WotC has always had widely varying levels of management competency. R&D has (mostly) been run well and had solid personnel. Digital has always been terrible, especially since anyone good on teams like the website gets promoted out to doing something more valuable right away. Legal has been outsourced to Hasbro and so has been terrible ethically and long-term strategically for well over a decade. Organized Play is responsive to issues but makes a lot of mistakes trying to deal with the budget cuts and top-down requirements they're always being given. Etc.

Of course the thing is, a lot of this stuff is teacup tempests. The reality from a high-level view is that they just shipped a super popular set, they have two more announced sets coming soon that are extremely hyped, their sales and viewership numbers keep going up, etc. Most of this stuff doesn't matter all that much, even if it does make them look bad to people who live on the internet. R&D designing good sets and this apparent new external MTGO team doing a good job are really far more relevant things for them to worry about than all this stuff combined. Wouldn't be surprised to see some heads roll at some point over the leak stuff though.

It's a touchy spot right now. If they're not in ETM, they'll go up from where they are.

Diamond is reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom