• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
And there was an auction up yesterday for 3x Mox Diamonds at $109. Almost swooped on it. Really regretting not right now as I needed them.

I bought 1 mox diamond in December because I love the card and its on the reserved list, and I had some extra money from other cards I had sold. I'm super lucky - the vendor sent me a mox diamond, it got lost in the mail for weeks, bought me a 2nd one and sent it, that one arrived. Then the original mox diamond arrived, I contacted the vendor, he said merry xmas, keep it! I was shocked.

Now I am super grateful.

Will you please buy that copy for me? :)

OnPoint

I suspect kirblar has all that insider information and uses it to his advantage to manipulate the market. :p

lol I know you're joking, but he's been right on just about everything he's ever suggested in here. I would say take him up on his advice in the future.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wow the buy it nows on ebay are basically all cleared out as well. That one is GONE.

yup. I just bit the bullet and bought 2x FTV Relics on Amazon since they were still relatively cheap there. I get some Aether Vials I can sell/trade off out of it too.

EDIT: Just realized that means I have all the FTVs except for Exiled and Dragons. Reallllly wish I had known about how great these releases were when they first started them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there a format you don't think is garbage?

Canadian Highlander! Standard is fine, Modern is fine, Limited is fine and Vintage is fine.

I like every format that is popular and supported other than EDH. <_< >_>

yup. I just bit the bullet and bought 2x FTV Relics on Amazon since they were still relatively cheap there. I get some Aether Vials I can sell/trade off out of it too.

EDIT: Just realized that means I have all the FTVs except for Exiled and Dragons. Reallllly wish I had known about how great these releases were when they first started them.

I have FTV Dragons, but paid way too much for it when I still had much more disposable income. That damnation troll though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would think that WOTC secretly handing vendors lists of upcoming reprints so they know which cards to stop buylisting would be far worse for consumer confidence than abolishing the Reserved List would be, but apparently not.

Angry Grimace

I think the funniest part of these spikes is how predictable some of them are if you really want to invest in $200 cardboard to make $300 off of them due to leaks starting to get absurdly reliable. People with histories of being reliable spoiled Eternal Masters and that it wouldn't have Reserved List cards on them. All you had to do to make a few hundred bucks is buy Reserved List cards and then sell them after the announce.

I think the funniest part of these spikes is how predictable some of them are if you really want to invest in $200 cardboard to make $300 off of them due to leaks starting to get absurdly reliable. People with histories of being reliable spoiled Eternal Masters and that it wouldn't have Reserved List cards on them. All you had to do to make a few hundred bucks is buy Reserved List cards and then sell them after the announce.

Well anyone that speculated the reserved list was going to be broken via a set announcement are kind of slow, IMO. If the reserved list is going to be broken, it will be via some much larger venue / announcement.

kirblar

My twitters fine, thats just me sending tweets to myself so i can access them.
I suspect kirblar has all that insider information and uses it to his advantage to manipulate the market. :p
lol nope.

I'd be leveraging that information hard if I had it (but not on the market.)

Angry Grimace

I'm just saying: the conclusion that Reserved List cards would get more expensive if a Legacy-focused reprint set came out is fairly obvious, and I think most people (at least here) considered the Eternal Masters set to be genuine based on the history of the leakers.

red13th

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195504608]Pat Chapin's anti Eldrazi deck is GW hatebears so you can discard wilt leaf to reality smasher lol[/QUOTE]

Ooh that works. Crazy.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195504608]Pat Chapin's anti Eldrazi deck is GW hatebears so you can discard wilt leaf to reality smasher lol[/QUOTE]

Kibler tweeting something similar just after the PT.

OnPoint

Loxodon Smiter too, right?

Lol. Best trick regarding the deck. Path them, drop a 4/4 as your discard. Do you happen to have a decklist?

Back on the drama: @vendorleak claims that WotC has responded to the evidence that he sent them, and that they're going to "nail" at least one of the vendors responsible.

While he's refused to say who is guilty, interestingly enough he is willing to state that he has no direct evidence that SCG was involved (if they got this information, it was from sources that he doesn't have information about).

I would think that WOTC secretly handing vendors lists of upcoming reprints so they know which cards to stop buylisting would be far worse for consumer confidence than abolishing the Reserved List would be, but apparently not.

Yeah, I think this just goes to show that the Reserved List thing is some kind of legal bullshit and nothing at all to do with consumer confidence.

I'm just saying: the conclusion that Reserved List cards would get more expensive if a Legacy-focused reprint set came out is fairly obvious, and I think most people (at least here) considered the Eternal Masters set to be genuine based on the history of the leakers.

If you already buy/sell you didn't even need to consider them genuine, really. The upside is that you bought in before a spike and can unload at a big profit; the downside if the set doesn't happen is... basically nothing since you can just move the cards again at around the same price?

While he's refused to say who is guilty, interestingly enough he is willing to state that he has no direct evidence that SCG was involved (if they got this information, it was from sources that he doesn't have information about).

If WotC were going to affirmatively spoil vendors early to protect them it would probably be SCG and CFB, but if someone with access to info from Wizards was going to spoil vendors early to give them a competitive advantage it almost certainly would not involve the biggest vendors.

SCG is tied too close to WotC to risk blowing up that relationship.

Right, exactly. If WotC is officially giving them an unfair competitive leg up, they'll clearly take it happily, but they're not gonna fuck with out-of-band info if it's something that could lead to serious consequences.

Right, exactly. If WotC is officially giving them an unfair competitive leg up, they'll clearly take it happily, but they're not gonna fuck with out-of-band info if it's something that could lead to serious consequences.

I'm undecided on this. Give any organization enough power and desire to profit, and relationships start to fall by the wayside really quick. Doesn't SCG regularly corner the market on certain cards?

kirblar

I'm undecided on this. Give any organization enough power and desire to profit, and relationships start to fall by the wayside really quick. Doesn't SCG regularly corner the market on certain cards?
Sure.

But they would have been doing it way earlier if this was the case. They're clearly late to the rodeo on this - prices would have spiked months ago if they were aware of this and buying up stuff.

If SCG is getting info direct from Wizards, CFB (and probably MTGO Traders) is getting it too. I don't think SCG would put that at risk.

However, if Wizards isn't tipping off the major vendors, I wouldn't put it past any of them to use whatever inside info they could obtain to make appropriate investments/adjustments.

Angry Grimace

Watch TCGplayer get nailed. Would be the biggest drama ever

TCGPlayer isn't technically a direct seller, it's a marketplace and prices are all handled by individual sellers. You can, in fact, get cards from TCGPlayer themselves (I do, all the time), but you buy them from 3rd party retailers who sell out of TCGPlayer's stock at whatever price they set.

Daedardus

So much drama the past few weeks. I'm calling it quits for a while. I'll just resort to playing kitchen table Splinter Twin vs. Pod games. Wake me up when EM gets released.

I'm undecided on this. Give any organization enough power and desire to profit, and relationships start to fall by the wayside really quick.

It's not relationships in the touchy-feely human sense. SCG has a business model that relies on long-term cooperation with WotC, and this business model is worth hundreds or thousands of times as much money as any kind of insider-info arbitrage is.

However, if Wizards isn't tipping off the major vendors, I wouldn't put it past any of them to use whatever inside info they could obtain to make appropriate investments/adjustments.

There's a huge difference between actively working with identifiable sources of illicit information and just making educated guesses based on grapevine rumors, though. SCG would be foolish not to take chatter like that into account when they make decisions, since it potentially represents a monetary benefit to them but has no direct line back to them. Actually accepting significant spoilers directly from a source early is completely different since it puts things like their certification at risk. It's much more plausible for small vendors who have less to lose and more to gain -- and fewer people involved in decision-making so there's more opportunity to act rashly -- to try to leverage direct leaked info.

noquarter

All of this bullshit is why I think they should have just released the whole set list. This is going to be fucking with the secondary market as well and will get people suspicious of pretty much anything right now. With the possibility of a Mana Drain reprint or Mana Crypt reprint WotC is looking at possibly reprinting cards that are well above $100 in value, something they really haven't ever done before (Jace in FTV and Goyf in the second MM are the only two that come to mind) People will use this to their advantage if they can, and any perceived favoritism or sharing of info will get others pissed at WotC.

It's not relationships in the touchy-feely human sense. SCG has a business model that relies on long-term cooperation with WotC, and this business model is worth hundreds or thousands of times as much money as any kind of insider-info arbitrage is.

At this point I would say that WotC relies on SCG to some extent as well. There of course would still be tournaments going off without them, but as one of the biggest sellers of cards, they are also one of the biggest promoters of the game. They hold tournaments every weekend and even help smaller stores run quality tournaments. If SCG did get any insider info, I really have to wonder what WotC would do. Do they shut down one of the biggest promoters of the game they have? Do they just try to keep it secret and slap them on the wrist?

CbXnHPPWIAAwWGE.jpg:large

As linked by the MTGDeepthroat account.

bigkrev

WOTC addressed the situation in today's daily update.

They squash the idea of a new format, but do say they are looking into the other allegations.

kirblar

All of this bullshit is why I think they should have just released the whole set list.
This is a likely outcome.

But jeez, give them the time to actually, y'know, have 24-48 hours to investigate and respond?

At this point I would say that WotC relies on SCG to some extent as well. There of course would still be tournaments going off without them, but as one of the biggest sellers of cards, they are also one of the biggest promoters of the game. They hold tournaments every weekend and even help smaller stores run quality tournaments. If SCG did get any insider info, I really have to wonder what WotC would do. Do they shut down one of the biggest promoters of the game they have? Do they just try to keep it secret and slap them on the wrist?

They do, yes, but it's an asymmetrical relationship. If WotC goes nuclear on SCG, they seriously impact the way that secondary market, organized play, the content ecosystem, etc. work for their game, but it's potentially a death sentence for SCG.

Odds that we get a Tricksplain article somehow blaming players for WOTC's inability to keep shit under lock and key

I'm pretty sure Trick's leash got tightened after the way that situation went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom