• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I haven't commented on all this Vendor/EMA drama but I don't have much to offer than this is a damn shitshow and I'm curious to see how things play out.

As for Reflector Mage, is that like breaking Standard or something? I'm curious why it has become a recent topic of conversation. I've been seriously considering putting it in my Regular Cube so I guess I'm not surprised its become a power player in T2.

You know, you guys are really overstating how bad this is.

I haven't commented on all this Vendor/EMA drama but I don't have much to offer than this is a damn shitshow and I'm curious to see how things play out.

As for Reflector Mage, is that like breaking Standard or something? I'm curious why it has become a recent topic of conversation. I've been seriously considering putting it in my Regular Cube so I guess I'm not surprised its become a power player in T2.

As far as I can tell, it's only seeing play in Rally the Ancestors decks. You know, that card that's going to rotate out in two months.

Until the Eldrazi Displacer builds show up with it...

Eh, I don't expect that to be anywhere near as effective as Rally. First of all, looking at the mana base we know of post-rotation, having consistent access to W, U, and C doesn't seem to be a simple matter. Secondly, having both creatures on the battlefield and keeping them there, when Eldrazi Displacer can't protect itself from kill spells, is much harder than having a bunch of cards in the graveyard and casting Rally the Ancestors.

Of course, we have no clue what dual lands will be in SOI, nor what sort of reanimation spells will be there.

Ashodin

Like, literally anything could happen as a result of this. Someone could get on their bad side and air out a lot of dirty laundry.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

As far as I can tell, it's only seeing play in Rally the Ancestors decks. You know, that card that's going to rotate out in two months.
It's a really awful deck to play against, especially when a collected company brings two of those guys down and a rally finishes it off. Kind of annoying for anything besides mega ramp.

When will Kamigawa unlock?

It fixes one of the weaknesses of rally which was a'ready the most powerful deck in standard.

CoCo is gonna be legal until the fall set though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's kinda funny Chord of Calling was in Standard a year ago. I barely remember it seeing play.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, this dude on modo is not accepting that I got Archangel of Thune and Spike Feeder into play at the same time.

I don't think anybody is overstating how severe this is -- it's a big deal and will probably have a lot of fallout for a long time to come.

I do think quite a few people are seriously overstating how badly this specifically reflects on WotC, or how bad the effect of recent negative stories is going to actually be on their business.

Angry Grimace

Why is that combo just now even resurfacing is it the MUs against Eldrazi or did Twin just haze the deck too hard?

It was always a combo when Pod was around. It's a two card combo for infinite life and all your guys get arbitrarily large.

It's kinda funny Chord of Calling was in Standard a year ago. I barely remember it seeing play.

Genesis Hydra did about the same thing, effectively, and fit better into the meta. (the fetched creature entered whether the spell resolved or not) And there wasn't a good set of silver bullets for standard at the time.

Here's a thought. I'd like to remand my own Genesis Hydra some day.

Exokell

Banned
Genesis Hydra did about the same thing, effectively, and fit better into the meta. (the fetched creature entered whether the spell resolved or not) And there wasn't a good set of silver bullets for standard at the time.

Here's a thought. I'd like to remand my own Genesis Hydra some day.
Genesis hydra was so good, especially if u got atarka or ugin after u casted it.

I got nervous today and scanned through the Reserved List for (reasonably priced) cards I had always wanted... Bought a playset of Academy Rector's and Lotus Vale's etc. It didn't feel good, though. And I doubt that these are worth grabbing, but I felt I had to. If I checked back in 4 weeks and these had jumped 100%, I'd be super annoyed. I hate how Magic makes me feel sometimes.

I love sifting through a specific Gatherer searches for obscure cards that fit X bill and building goofy shit. I've played and don't dislike EDH, but I love fun ACTUAL Kitchen Table Magic: 60ish Cards + Don't Be A Dick + 3 Or More Players... Whatever, casual fun. To me, that's the game. MP or not. It's about finding the interactions and building around them. Specs and conservative reprint strategies fundamentally erode this, however.

It's one thing to open a sweet Rare and turn it into credit or other cards; that's awesome. That's the heart of the CCG. But Magic does not feel that way... At least not from my perspective. Maybe it's inevitible, but I can't get behind the profiteering angle that one can certainly take. I enjoy Kirblar's picks but i like that, as he states, he's not specc'ing but just simply trying to pick up playsets for a reasonable price before they jump. To have. To play with. If you buy more than 4 copies of a card with intent to resell, you are part of the problem: full stop. I can appreciate being pragmatic, though... Still, I wish upon wishes that Wizards wakes up and Chronicles the fuck out of every card ever made just to make you (and I) look stupid :)

red13th

They were buying Flusterstorm for $50? I have one, they can have it. lol
If they do have leaked information it probably means Flusterstorm isn't in EMA.

Hero

Huh? Does this mean the duals are in Eternal Masters or something? I don't understand.

No they are buying cards that aren't in Eternal Masters because they are going to(are currently) spiking because people are having renewed interest in the format.

Firemind

No they are buying cards that aren't in Eternal Masters because they are going to(are currently) spiking because people are having renewed interest in the format.
Oh so the picture was BEFORE the price change. I misunderstood and thought it was after and the prices actually DECREASED. Carry on then.

Edit: Or the buy in prices were even lower than that and 250-275 is the market price.

Hero

Oh so the picture was BEFORE the price change. I misunderstood and thought it was after and the prices actually DECREASED. Carry on then.

Edit: Or the buy in prices were even lower than that and 250-275 is the market price.

Right, because they knew about EM and wanted to stock up they were giving better buy list prices that were close to actual value to get people to sell to them.

Angry Grimace

Kiora is the most red character ever. I have no idea why she is UG. She just gets super mad and does impulsive shit that ruins everyone's plans constantly.

Also, the Uncharted Realms for today is one of the worst written ones they've ever done. Worse than Krienes going on and on about Nissa looking for Ashaya.

Joe Molotov

Kiora is the most red character ever. I have no idea why she is UG. She just gets super mad and does impulsive shit that ruins everyone's plans constantly.

Also, the Uncharted Realms for today is one of the worst written ones they've ever done. Worse than Krienes going on and on about Nissa looking for Ashaya.

In a totally unexpected plot twist, Chandra burns some stuff.

jph139

They honestly write Kiora as, like, black-red. Arrogant, impulsive, selfish... it's kind of baffling how out of color she is. The major cast is bland but at least they feel appropriate to their colors.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Not that it's a big surprise, but Forsythe confirmed on Twitter that boxes of EMA will have 24 boosters.

Zendikar's Last Stand - The Eldrazi are defeated in an oddly low-key way.
* First of all, Kiora never leaves the plane. She stays around during the entire fight, although she does come to believe the plan isn't working and threatens Nissa to release the Eldrazi from their binding, assuming that they'll probably leave on their own now. She casts a spell to hurl the sea at Nissa, but Jace counters it.
* It's funny how the summary emphasized how in-sync the Gatewatch were with each other when this story emphasized instead how they weren't at all. Everyone was tripping over each other. For a while, I was wondering if maybe this was a fake out and they would fail, but that would mean they'd be doing the exact same thing again later.
* The summary also mentioned how Jace was using mind magic to protect everyone from Kozilek. There's no sign of that here.
* Anyway, the titans are baited into place, and Nissa starts using the leylines to pull in the titans. This causes the entire sky to turn into a mass of colors and tentacles, and eldrazi spawn literally start falling like rain.
* Kiora notices that the floating rocks have started dropping out of the sky, and she can feel Zendikar's mana being drained. The stuff I mentioned above with Kiora happens.
* Chandra wants to burninate the titans, but Jace says no. She does it anyway after a while. It doesn't work at first, until Nissa touches her in that special place (her shoulder) and channels Zendikar's mana into her fireball. After that, everything goes white.
* Kiora wakes up to find everything around them is Wastes but the sky is blue again, and everyone is injured but otherwise alright. There's no celebration, just everyone looking around confused and then getting on with finding and healing survivors. Kiora walks away in shame. She still hasn't actually left the plane.

jph139

For what it's worth, the description of the "true Eldrazi" influencing the plane was pretty cool. Like, dissolving into the sky and turning it into a weird fleshy dimension or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
* Chandra wants to burninate the titans, but Jace says no. She does it anyway after a while. It doesn't work at first, until Nissa touches her in that special place (her shoulder) and channels Zendikar's mana into her fireball. After that, everything goes white.
* Kiora wakes up to find everything around them is Wastes but the sky is blue again, and everyone is injured but otherwise alright. There's no celebration, just everyone looking around confused and then getting on with finding and healing survivors. Kiora walks away in shame. She still hasn't actually left the plane.
Well I'm going to go ahead and hope that, like the design and like the artwork, the story was also under something of a time crunch

ultron87

The Magic movie is going to be worse than the D&D movie isn't it?

I mean that'll presumably have people paid to write and make movies as their primary job working on it instead of people that are mostly there to do worldbuilding and concepting who write stories up on the side.

The Magic movie is going to be worse than the D&D movie isn't it?

In the past, I would joke about the movie being about a high school teen named Jason Bell who has a crush on the cheerleader captain, Liliana Vess, but is bullied by her jock boyfriend, Gary "Wild" Speaker, and is on the bad side of principal Bob Nixon. He has a childhood friend, a girl named Chandra Larson (given an Indian name despite being white due to hippy parents), but doesn't realize she has a crush on him. One day, he finds a Black Lotus card, which transports him to the strange and wondrous world of Magic, where he encounters hot elf girl Nissa Revane, who immediately starts to fall for him. After stammering through giving his name, he comes to be known as Jace Beleren, and discovers that he has amazing mind magic powers. On his journey, he encounters many individuals who resemble people from his own life.

That sounds better than an adaptation of the Battle for Zendikar story.

Angry Grimace

I wonder how much its production is dependent on the success of the Warcraft film.

All I'm saying is that if it doesn't feature Jace being broody I don't want to see it and if it does, it will be horrible and I'll only want to see it to laugh.

Santiako

If you want to win CHKCHKCHK drafts, draft Zubera decks, they are unbeatable if you are the only one on the table drafting them. Just draft Zuberas, Devouring Greeds and Rages and some mana fixing.

ultron87

If they did the world design right and actually had huge big screen versions of Eldrazi distorting the landscape around them or Phyrexians making everything into creepy biomechanical horror that'd be really cool to see regardless of script quality.

bigkrev

If they did the world design right and actually had huge big screen versions of Eldrazi distorting the landscape around them or Phyrexians making everything into creepy biomechanical horror that'd be really cool to see regardless of script quality.

20 Zubera, 4 Death Pit Offering, 8 Mana Fixers and 24 land was a really fun casual standard deck back then

Santiako

20 Zubera, 4 Death Pit Offering, 8 Mana Fixers and 24 land was a really fun casual standard deck back then

I think you meant to quote me :p

At that time in Standard I was playing Affinity
like everybody else
for serious and Snakes Tribal for casual, love me some snake tribal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom