• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some of those cards even have cheaper versions, like Force of Will from VMA not making the list. I did so many VMA drafts it's comical to think how much money I blew since EV from the set was fucking horrible - the set had 30 fucking Mythics but all of them were worthless. Even Jace the Mind Sculptor was $15 and he's still $15.

Firemind

I like how Misdirection is the 3rd most valuable card on MTGO (because Conspiracy didn't happen, and Masques wasn't released as a set on MTGO, they combined Masques-Nemesis-Prophecy into one super booster to try to sell it as a draft format)
I won Masques block packs once and thought to myself why the hell not maybe I'll get lucky and crack a Port. I got a foil Squee instead...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I won Masques block packs once and thought to myself why the hell not maybe I'll get lucky and crack a Port. I got a foil Squee instead...

Masques Block packs are 17 tickets because MTGO never runs any flashbacks on them for reasons.

They could very easily regulate prices more than they do, but they're at least doing an okay job with the Modern flashbacks.

bigkrev

Masques Block packs are 17 tickets because MTGO never runs any flashbacks on them for reasons.

They could very easily regulate prices more than they do, but they're at least doing an okay job with the Modern flashbacks.

They don't run flashback drafts because it's among the worst limited formats they could offer.

They hadn't done 8E drafts in over 10 years before they had the flashback a few months ago

Angry Grimace

They don't run flashback drafts because it's among the worst limited formats they could offer.

They hadn't done 8E drafts in over 10 years before they had the flashback a few months ago
That hasn't stopped them from doing all sorts of horrible draft formats though, e.g. Tempest Online.

I didn't know they *ever* offered them, did they? I don't think core sets were supposed to be draftable until M10, no?

Haines

Banned
Cardshop. Fmn. Draft.

Is it accepted to look at your cards drafted while making your picks, or is the general rule wait until between packs?

I thought i was told the latter, and than my buddy told me no everyone looks during picks, and i was suprised. I guess i got confused by watching the pro coverage?

I've always encouraged players not to look at their picks. I've seen too many players accidentally pass their stack of picked cards to the left by doing that.

pigeon

Banned
Cardshop. Fmn. Draft.

Is it accepted to look at your cards drafted while making your picks, or is the general rule wait until between packs?

I thought i was told the latter, and than my buddy told me no everyone looks during picks, and i was suprised. I guess i got confused by watching the pro coverage?

Touching your drafted cards is a cheating risk, that's all. Some people take that more seriously than others.

Jhriad

Cardshop. Fmn. Draft.

I thought the way it works is that at Regular REL it's okay to look at your picks but above that, like at something like a GP, you are only allowed to do it between packs. Someone else probably knows better than I.

Haines

Banned
Ok, so its totally allowed, but discouraged if only for the reason of accidentally fucking up the draft?

K, i did not know this. Will make drafting much easier for me.

Angry Grimace

Oh good we can finally move on from the conspiracy garbage.

I can't imagine the mythics are that hard to pick though: I assume they will go out of their way to avoid stepping on the toes of MM2015 and make it like

1) Stoneforge Mystic
2) uhhhh Armageddon? Comedy option: Entreat the Angels
3) Jace the Mind Sculptor
4) Force of Will
5) Liliana of the Veil
6) Other black Mythic - Comedy option - Hymn to Tourach, also comedy option: Necropotence)
7) Sneak Attack
8) Mystery Red Mythic (Comedy option: Goblin Guide, maybe Past in Flames, but I think they'd save that for MM2017).
9) Glimpse of Nature?
10) See, this is where Goyf goes, but I think they won't and will put something else like Sylvan Library even though its worthless
11) Dark Depths
12) Port
13) Jitte
14) something multicolor I guess? Comedy options - Baleful Strix, Deathrite Shaman, possible Shardless Agent, a 2/2 with a single dumb mechanic on it
15) something else multicolor?

Hero

Where are you guys getting the newest updates?

Too much to wish for Ravages of War and Imperial Recruiter, huh?

Ok, so its totally allowed, but discouraged if only for the reason of accidentally fucking up the draft?

K, i did not know this. Will make drafting much easier for me.

I wouldn't do it, though. The problem with looking at your cards is that by touching them while packs are being passed around, there is the possibility for someone with fast hands to switch bad cards in their pile out to the packs being passed. The appearance of impropriety and the penalties for doing this at a large event are enough that my store has a practice-like-you-play policy of just never touching your piles while actively drafting, only between packs. They do this because it could mean their WPN cert if someone goes to another store, gets accused of cheating, and said "Well the store I always draft at [insert unlucky assholes here] always lets me look through my pile while drafting."

Angry Grimace

Where are you guys getting the newest updates?

Too much to wish for Ravages of War and Imperial Recruiter, huh?

Armageddon is a mythic if they have it in the set, and Ravages of War would be too. It's a fucking obnoxious card to play with even though it sees no real play in competitive formats anymore.

Hero

Armageddon is a mythic if they have it in the set, and Ravages of War would be too. It's a fucking obnoxious card to play with even though it sees no real play in competitive formats anymore.

Yeah definitely a mythic, I just want one for my Cube.

Definitely thinking the Damnation reprint that somehow dodged FTV:A and MM2015 is going to be in this.

bigkrev

White:
Karakas
Ravages of War

Blue:
Force of Will
Jace, The Mind Sculptur
Show and Tell

Red:
Sneak Attack
Imperial Recruiter

Black:
Imperial Seal or Grim Tutor
Liliana of the Veil

Green:
Tarmogoyf
Oath of Druids

Other:
Dark Depths
Maze of Ith
Rishardin Port
Umezawa's Jitte

Haines

Banned
I wouldn't do it, though. The problem with looking at your cards is that by touching them while packs are being passed around, there is the possibility for someone with fast hands to switch bad cards in their pile out to the packs being passed. The appearance of impropriety and the penalties for doing this at a large event are enough that my store has a practice-like-you-play policy of just never touching your piles while actively drafting, only between packs. They do this because it could mean their WPN cert if someone goes to another store, gets accused of cheating, and said "Well the store I always draft at [insert unlucky assholes here] always lets me look through my pile while drafting."

Makes a lot of sense.

Ive seen mention of REL rules, and when me and my buddy werent sure if it was allowed or not, he told me to look up the 'rules'

Ill try some google, but what are rel rules, and are there really even 'rules' for fmns? I have to assume its kind of whatever the head judge of the store decides?

Edit: did the googles, found the answers

At Regular REL, players are allowed to review their drafted cards between or during picks as long as they are holding no other cards at the same time. The Head Judge may choose to disallow this provided he or she announces it before the first draft. Between boosters there is a review period in which players may review their picks.

Yeef

Kiora mostly just seems....red.

Like, okay she likes big monsters and they're from the ocean, but it seems like the dominant part of pretty much everything she does is be impulsive as fuck and get really angry. She doesn't seem even vaguely blue other than "I am a merfolk" and I guess she's kinda, sorta green.
She seemed pretty blue in the first story she showed up in this block. Home Waters. Still leaning toward blue red rather than blue green though. I haven't actually read the rest of the stories with her in it; just the summaries you guys post here.

noquarter

Is anybody here planning on thing to GPDC? Don't have anybody that will go play the main event with me, but am thinking about signing up for the unlimited deal SCG has. Will be able to take vacation it looks like so could go all three days, not just the weekend.
Yeah definitely a mythic, I just want one for my Cube.

Definitely thinking the Damnation reprint that somehow dodged FTV:A and MM2015 is going to be in this.
I'm hoping for it for the same reason. Might end up picking up a Judge copy just because I have so much in foil already.

loooooooooooooool the whole vendor thing was 100% bullshit

Apparently the only thing that was actually false is the entire set list being leaked. GP Oakland vendors still knew ahead of time about EMA. I'm just going to make the easy logical leap and assume that ALL the GP Oakland vendors knew, which would include CFB.

Vendorleaks rewinding like this also straight sketchy after making such a big deal. He came out and said people were laundering drug money! You can't just hit undo on that! Smacks of the end of the south park episode where cartmen becomes a ginger.

She seemed pretty blue in the first story she showed up in this block. Home Waters. Still leaning toward blue red rather than blue green though. I haven't actually read the rest of the stories with her in it; just the summaries you guys post here.
Might as well have her go Sarkhan Unbroken and hit Temur colors.

traveler

Not Wario
I didn't even realize Karakas could be reprinted. Guess I might actually play legacy after all- just need it to happen and finish the rest of dnt.

Haines

Banned
My friend is going to the toronto gp thing in april. I dont know shit about them. Hes going to do side event drafts i think? I doubt im going, but is there something i should ask him to buy for me there?

Also, unrelated. ben brode, the lead designer on hearthstone has been streaming on twitch last couple days. Being very open about dev stuff and such on the game.

Made a card that would return last spell you cast to your hand. Just kept returning said card. Whoops lol. Thought you guys might like that.

bigkrev

I actually could go to GP DC- I have a place in Bethesda I can crash at, and know 2 people in the area who would play with me I'm just morally opposed to paying $75 for a Grand Prix

Drafted Zubera but was lacking a sac outlet so I'd just have 5 1/2 in play that basically do nothing.

Won round 1 but flooded 2 games round 2, game 1 I won because my opponent was stuck on 2 lands. Game 2 I had 12 lands in the end, game 3 my opponent won with 3 lands while I had 8. Didn't like the drafting in particular.

My friend is going to the toronto gp thing in april. I dont know shit about them. Hes going to do side event drafts i think? I doubt im going, but is there something i should ask him to buy for me there?

Other than a playmat that's cool, there's not much to ask him to get. It's all just stuff you'd see at a competent game store: sleeves, singles, playmats, deckboxes, and shame. Shame is always on sale at a GP.

1. Stoneforge Mystic
  2. Ravages of War
  3. Force of Will
  4. Show and Tell
  5. Yawgmoth's Will
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Sneak Attack
  8. Imperial Recruiter
  9. Oath of Druids
  10. Natural Order
  11. Lion's Eye Diamond
  12. Jitte
  13. Karakas
  14. Jace the Mind Sculptor
  15. Liliana of the Veil

Firemind

Oh wow I totally misread Immobilizer Eldrazi.

"Each creature with toughness greater than its power can't block this turn." Somehow I thought 'its' referred to Immobilizer Eldrazi. LMAO

dat feeling when you alpha strike thinking it's lethal and you get alpha striked back for lethal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom