• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you meant to quote me :p

At that time in Standard I was playing Affinity
like everybody else
for serious and Snakes Tribal for casual, love me some snake tribal.

I take it that the Zuberas all count each other as they go to the graveyard, like Rotlung Reanimator? Zuberas look hilarious, lol.

How many colours was the standard deck? 3? 4? AKA: Do you skip the White Zubera or is the lifegain crucial?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My first Magic cards ever were the Kamigawa Snake tribal Precon deck. I will always have a strong affinity for that archetype. I might jump into the drafts just for some quick nostalgia

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the most expensive rare in Champions of Kamigawa is Azuza, which costs like 4 bucks.

oh wait, I think Through the Breach is worth like 10 tix.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hilariously the most valuable draft format that's coming up is Triple Coldsnap. The least valuable one is triple Time Spiral, but Time Spiral - Planar Chaos - Future Sight is really valuable because Future Sight has a bunch of dumb shit like Grove and Goyf.

Santiako

I take it that the Zuberas all count each other as they go to the graveyard, like Rotlung Reanimator? Zuberas look hilarious, lol.

How many colours was the standard deck? 3? 4? AKA: Do you skip the White Zubera or is the lifegain crucial?
BRG always, U is pretty good and W you can splash for if you don't have enough (10 at least) of the other coloured Zuberas.

OnPoint

I think I said there's nothing blue about her except being a blue merfolk and I was right!

pls kill off Kiora and bring back Tamiyo.
Didn't mean to discount you, just about everyone else said she wasn't though haha

What sucks is ability wise she's definitely UG. They just wrote her like shit.

Angry Grimace

Kiora mostly just seems....red.

Like, okay she likes big monsters and they're from the ocean, but it seems like the dominant part of pretty much everything she does is be impulsive as fuck and get really angry. She doesn't seem even vaguely blue other than "I am a merfolk" and I guess she's kinda, sorta green.

OnPoint

Kiora mostly just seems....red.

Like, okay she likes big monsters and they're from the ocean, but it seems like the dominant part of pretty much everything she does is be impulsive as fuck and get really angry. She doesn't seem even vaguely blue other than "I am a merfolk" and I guess she's kinda, sorta green.
I agree. It's just that I made that exact case several stories ago and everyone was like 'nah, she's green dude'. She's definitely written as red.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think personality and magic should be so closely aligned. Otherwise every colored race would be total monocultures. Surely there are merfolk who get impulsive, who are maybe primarily impulsive, in the same way not every elf has to be a treehugger and maybe some goblin wants to become a lawyer.

No comment on whether Kiora is/isn't poorly written cause I don't read the stories.

Firemind

Didn't mean to discount you, just about everyone else said she wasn't though haha

What sucks is ability wise she's definitely UG. They just wrote her like shit.
Actually, her new card's + and - abilities are more green than blue. I'm not even sure there's a blue Impulse that can only fetch creatures and/or lands.

ultron87

Does a character's emotional behavior necessarily have to match up with the kind of magic they cast? I think the fact that she can manipulate water and make waves and summon squids makes her blue, no matter how she acts.

OnPoint

Does a character's emotional behavior necessarily have to match up with the kind of magic they cast? I think the fact that she can manipulate water and make waves and summon squids makes her blue, no matter how she acts.
Yes. So she's blue-red at the very least? She isn't green at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

She's definitely blue. The problem is that she doesn't seem very green and does seem very red

Angry Grimace

Actually the answer is basically yes.

She's definitely blue. The problem is that she doesn't seem very green and does seem very red

U/R Kiora would be fine given that giant ocean monsters are still in blue, e.g. Lorthos

Firemind

She's Aquawoman, but it doesn't actually show up on the cards. She's more of a geomancer than a master of hydrokinesis what with playing and untapping lands.

I'd love to see a Planeswalker that can turn lands into Islands or has hate abilities like giving random Islandwalk.

Haines

Banned
My collector friend that only plays limited but tries to collect all of the cards anyways is getting a box of eternal. Comes out on his bday. 300 here i think. He will draft it. I think hes nuts but he just loves collecting all the cards,

Angry Grimace

The next time they design a good Kiora will be the first. The worst part about Kiora 2 is that she's a lame as fuck redesign of Kiora 1 and not actually better. Simic is one of those colors where I think they're just lost how to make it any good on a Planeswalker.

Firemind

The next time they design a good Kiora will be the first. The worst part about Kiora 2 is that she's a lame as fuck redesign of Kiora 1 and not actually better. Simic is one of those colors where I think they're just lost how to make it any good on a Planeswalker.
So, like, every other colour combination besides like four of them?

The only good two colour PWs are Ajani Vengeant, evil Tezzeret, Ashiok, Xenagos, Domri and... Sorin the tourist?

Dack doesn't count because he's not actually printed in a fucking standard block.

So, like, every other colour combination besides like four of them?

The only good two colour PWs are Ajani Vengeant, evil Tezzeret, Ashiok, Xenagos, Domri and... Sorin the tourist?

Dack doesn't count because he's not actually printed in a fucking standard block.

Mentor of Gyros isn't bad, considering he had 2 +1 abilities that were excellent and a fantastic ult.

y2dvd

My collector friend that only plays limited but tries to collect all of the cards anyways is getting a box of eternal. Comes out on his bday. 300 here i think. He will draft it. I think hes nuts but he just loves collecting all the cards,

It is a collecting game after all! Before I really knew about card value, I used to complete sets of comic cards lol.

Well I still want to sell cards to invest into MTGO. All of this drama makes me nervous and I wonder if it's going to be harder to sell cards to individuals because maybe everyone will be waiting to see how this resolves.

Well I still want to sell cards to invest into MTGO. All of this drama makes me nervous and I wonder if it's going to be harder to sell cards to individuals because maybe everyone will be waiting to see how this resolves.

Investing into MTGO is the reverse of what you should be doing. Those cards are generally worthless.

Both of the Kioras are actually passable and playable Planeswalkers. They are literally just designed for each other's standards. Kiora 1 would be great in this standard. Kiora 2 would have been amazing in Sultai graveyard games a year ago.

Angry Grimace

Investing into MTGO is the reverse of what you should be doing. Those cards are generally worthless.
This is the opposite of true: I made hundreds of dollars on MTGO last year just by buying staples and selling them when they spiked (and not even on purpose, it just worked out that way with Jace, Snaps, etc.) The concept that MTGO objects are literally worthless hasn't made a lick of sense in a long time given you can, in fact, sell them for real money and further to the point, you can liquidate them dramatically faster than you can real cards.

If you're saying that lots of the digital cards are worth way less than their paper counterparts and don't sell for anything, it also means they don't cost very much to buy.

Mentor of Gyros isn't bad, considering he had 2 +1 abilities that were excellent and a fantastic ult.

Combos with Ulamog, the Infinite Gyro

yiQEYX1.png

This is the opposite of true: I made hundreds of dollars on MTGO last year just by buying staples and selling them when they spiked (and not even on purpose, it just worked out that way with Jace, Snaps, etc.) The concept that MTGO objects are literally worthless hasn't made a lick of sense in a long time given you can, in fact, sell them for real money and further to the point, you can liquidate them dramatically faster than you can real cards.

If you're saying that lots of the digital cards are worth way less than their paper counterparts and don't sell for anything, it also means they don't cost very much to buy.

Except the liquidation rates on 95%+ of the cards are 1 ticket or less. You are talking about speculation which is a completely different beast. Yes, if I can effectively predict that Jace is underpriced and difficult to come by digitally, I will profit. But Jace, Vryn's prodigy goes for more than Mox Sapphire on Magic Online. Does that make sense to you?

Angry Grimace

Except the liquidation rates on 95%+ of the cards are 1 ticket or less. You are talking about speculation which is a completely different beast. Yes, if I can effectively predict that Jace is underpriced and difficult to come by digitally, I will profit. But Jace, Vryn's prodigy goes for more than Mox Sapphire on Magic Online. Does that make sense to you?
The liquidation rate of cards in real life is literally 0 more than 95% of the time because you can't sell commons or bulk rares to anyone in paper.

And yes, the price disparities you are talking about make perfect sense because Jace, Vryn's Prodigy sees more play both in paper and online. The expectation that demand for online cards should be completely in line with paper cards is what makes no sense whatsoever, really. Serious question: why does it make any difference whether the price of Mox Sapphire and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy match up to paper Magic? Why is that important?

Jhriad

Does that make sense to you?

Why wouldn't it? One is usable in pretty much every format and is a staple in a few of them whereas the other only has real value in paper because it's on an arbitrary list restricting the ability to print more supply. That restriction doesn't exist on MTGO, the format it's playable in is orders of magnitude less popular than other formats, and in that format it's on the Restricted List so any injection of additional supply sates excess demand fairly quickly.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195681581]
nayav5x1p.png
[/QUOTE]

I realized a couple of days ago that this is what they've done. I wonder if MM and MM2015 sold more units than the core sets? On the flip side, what sort of revenue did each set generate for WotC?

bigkrev

There was a time period where Reya Dawnbringer was the most expensive card on Magic Online, with Foil versions going for 150 Tickets

It was really weird.

Angry Grimace

The most expensive card on MODO is Rishadan Port. I'm gonna laugh when people get angry that Rishadan Port is a Mythic in EMA despite the fact that not only is the card expensive, its an asshole card in limited and should be Mythic.

bigkrev

I like how Misdirection is the 3rd most valuable card on MTGO (because Conspiracy didn't happen, and Masques wasn't released as a set on MTGO, they combined Masques-Nemesis-Prophecy into one super booster to try to sell it as a draft format)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom