• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Outside of Sneak Attack I'm not sure what to put as a red mythic.
Mind Twist could be a black mythic. I think they would put Necropotence though. I'm hoping for Vampiric Tutor or Imperial Seal personally.
I hope Tinker is in as a rare.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
None of the actual great red cards are Mythic.

- Starstorm would be fun in Modern
- Price of Progress would be broken, and it's only a uncommon!
- Uh...Bonfire?

Toxi

Banned
Outside of Sneak Attack I'm not sure what to put as a red mythic.
Mind Twist could be a black mythic. I think they would put Necropotence though. I'm hoping for Vampiric Tutor or Imperial Seal personally.
I hope Tinker is in as a rare.
Tinker as a rare would be silly; it's banned in EDH or Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

joelseph

Playing a 8-4 with a White Black Ally deck with lots of good removal. Had 2 Healers on board and played the white oath! Followed that up with Obdaddy who stayed on the board the rest of the game including an ultimate. That was pretty much my Christmas land moment of the set.

Toxi

Banned
Imperial Recruiter reprint would be wonderful. It's a card that lots of decks want that is only so expensive because of ridiculously limited distribution for Portal 3 Kingdoms.

Santiako

Gamble, Imperial Recruiter, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Fulminator Mage, Burning Wish, Goblin Guide, Sneak Attack, Worldgorger Dragon, Bonfire of the Damned, Rolling Earthquake

I could see any of these as a Mythic Rare.

That's the number of mythic rares that should be in Eternal Masters. People are guessing what they will be.

Ahh, I see.

Gamble, Imperial Recruiter, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Fulminator Mage, Burning Wish, Goblin Guide, Sneak Attack, Worldgorger Dragon, Bonfire of the Damned, Rolling Earthquake

Blood Moon and Fulminator Mage have both been printed at rare in previous masters sets, so that seems unlikely. I think Sneak Attack is a shoe-in, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Imperial Recruiter and Rolling Earthquake are mythic as well even though they should just be rare.

Firemind

I'd like to see Sneak Attack as the red mythic, if only for an alternate art.

Honestly, to this day it baffles me cards like Sneak Attack aren't on the reserve list but Argothian Wurm, Citanul Centaurs, Great Whale, Herald of Serra, Opal Archangel, Lightning Dragon and Zephid are.

red13th

Burning Wish, yeah maybe I guess. Just checked and it was a rare in Vintage Masters, which is the "closest" thing to EMA we've had so far.
In fact, these were the mythics in VMA, for what it's worth (I marked the reserved list cards), a bunch of those are Conspiracy stuff but anyway:

Armageddon
Balance
Jace TMS
Mana Drain
Morphling (RL)
Muzzio Visionary Architect
Upheaval
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoth's Bargain (RL)
Yawgmoth's Will (RL)
Scourge of the Throne
Wheel of Fortune (RL)
Channel
Eureka (RL)
Fastbond (RL)
Oath of Druids
Dack Fayden
Marchesa the Black Rose
City in a Bottle (RL)
Coercitive Portal
Lion's Eye Diamond (RL)
Mana Crypt
Memory Jar (RL)
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Time Vault (RL)
Bazaar of Baghdad (RL)
Mishra's Workshop (RL)
Library of Alexandria (RL)
Tolarian Academy (RL)

Tinker as a rare would be silly; it's banned in EDH or Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

I think uncommon would be waaay too much. :p

Go home MTGO, you're drunk (credit Reddit).

BD9hzz2.png

Drafting paper right now and in a single game I got World Breaked, Sowered and Crushed by Tentacles...

Like I was keeping relatively up with the first two but crush bouncing my isolation zone that had Sower in it was the killing blow.

The 2nd game I only got world breaked but I gave up when crush bounced 2 isolation zones with World Breaker and Ruin Processor in them.

Blowed the fuck out.

Eidolon of the Great Revel should likely see a reprint in Eternal Masters. If not now, then the next one. It would be good at mythic for limited purposes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I *really* wish they would stop printing format-warping cards and forgetting to test them, e.g. Jace, Battlelands, Reflector Mage.

Like why doesn't someone get fired for this? Reflector Mage in particularly I think is egregious because I don't understand how they didn't figure that was completely dumb and tilting with Collected Company.

OnPoint

I *really* wish they would stop printing format-warping cards and forgetting to test them, e.g. Jace, Battlelands, Reflector Mage.

Like why doesn't someone get fired for this? Reflector Mage in particularly I think is egregious because I don't understand how they didn't figure that was completely dumb and tilting with Collected Company.
Reasons I don't play standard for $1000, Alex.

I believe I remember hearing Forsythe say that they were surprised by CoCo's success. I doubt they ever thought it would be a factor.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why would a 4 mana card that digs for 2 guys be good in constructed?

Cards like CoCo that basically taunt your opponent with bullshit you pull off the top are already a bit tilting (but I don't think in and of itself its unacceptable at all), but adding in "lol bounce your guy for 2 turns so I can set up a dumb combo win" is just fucking eye-rolling.

OnPoint

Why would a 4 mana card that digs for 2 guys be good in constructed?

Cards like CoCo that basically taunt your opponent with bullshit you pull off the top are already a bit tilting (but I don't think in and of itself its unacceptable at all), but adding in "lol bounce your guy for 2 turns so I can set up a dumb combo win" is just fucking eye-rolling.
I don't mind printing powerful cards. Just give us good ways to deal with them

Angry Grimace

I don't mind printing powerful cards. Just give us good ways to deal with them

I mean, "knock the top of your deck for freeeeeeeeeeeeee" can be tilting, but when its something like Matter Reshaper where you're exceptionally unlikely to *actually* dump Reflector Mage onto the battlefield is one thing. But CoCo is a complete build around. Your opponent *always* gets fucking Reflector Mage.

The problem is that if you're going to print CoCo, Rally, Jace and Reflector Mage in the same environment, you kind of have to print Grafdigger's Cage, because right now we have nothing but reactive answers to the entire 4C Rally deck other than Kalitas and Anafenza that conveniently (for Rally) get moved out of the way by Reflector Mage. Shit, I would probably sideboard Grafdigger's Cage in Standard even if it cost 4 or even 5.

kirblar

Oh yeah I don't think printing CoCo was a mistake at all, I'm just astounded that they underestimated how good it was
They seem to get stuck in their own heads a lot and have a hard time looking at cards in a vacuum of "duh thats pretty good"

Jace is egregious because the flip condition is incredibly irrelevant..

Fixed:

1. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
  2. Ravages of War
  3. Force of Will
  4. Show and Tell
  5. Imperial Seal
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Sneak Attack
  8. Imperial Recruiter
  9. Oath of Druids
  10. Natural Order
  11. Mox Diamond
  12. Jitte
  13. Karakas
  14. Jace the Mind Sculptor
  15. Liliana of the Veil

Although, I think it's actually more interesting to guess what rare/expensive card is going to get downgraded to uncommon.

I'm gonna go with Rishadan Port. Wasteland is already at rare and I don't think they want to fill up rare/mythic slots with too many similar cards. Furthermore Rishadan Port is a great build around me card for limited that probably won't break the format. Might be too feel-bad, but people that want eternal cards are probably used to it.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195776417]Fixed:

2. Ravages of War
  3. Force of Will
  4. Show and Tell
  5. Imperial Seal
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Sneak Attack
  8. Imperial Recruiter
  9. Oath of Druids
  10. Natural Order
  11. Mox Diamond
  12. Jitte
  13. Karakas
  15. Liliana of the Veil

Although, I think it's actually more interesting to guess what rare/expensive card is going to get downgraded to uncommon.

I'm gonna go with Rishadan Port. Wasteland is already at rare and I don't think they want to fill up rare/mythic slots with too many similar cards. Furthermore Rishadan Port is a great build around me card for limited that probably won't break the format. Might be too feel-bad, but people that want eternal cards are probably used to it.[/QUOTE]

Isn't mox diamond reserved too? Maybe Chrome Mox instead.

Also, Rishadan Port at uncommon would make me very happy, but it's never going to happen.

bigkrev

If they aren't willing to print Stone Rain anymore, you really think they will create a limited format where Rishardin Port is an UNCOMMON?

Ah okay. That rule IS confusing though...since Ulamog is indestructible. The coders probably didn't catch that one weird situation.

It's not confusing at all. The Legend Rule should not be coded as a destruction effect because it's not a destruction effect. It's much closer to "Player picks one copy and sacrifices the rest" but even that isn't quite right since the actual rule is simply "put into owners' graveyards". This would only be an issue if either the coding for the Legend Rule or Indestructible was just completely wrong to start with.

Besides, even if Indestructible was the issue it should still be repeatedly asking the controlling player to pick an Ulamog to keep as a state-based action. It seems more likely to me that the Legend Rule is somehow being ignored entirely here.

Angry Grimace

2. Ravages of War
  3. Force of Will
  4. Show and Tell
  5. Imperial Seal
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Sneak Attack
  8. Imperial Recruiter
  9. Oath of Druids
  10. Natural Order
  11. Mox Diamond
  12. Jitte
  13. Karakas
  15. Liliana of the Veil

I'm gonna go with Rishadan Port. Wasteland is already at rare and I don't think they want to fill up rare/mythic slots with too many similar cards. Furthermore Rishadan Port is a great build around me card for limited that probably won't break the format. Might be too feel-bad, but people that want eternal cards are probably used to it.[/QUOTE]

Rishadan Port is a mythic dude, its tilting as fuck in limited and worth a ton. Also, Oath of Druids is a $6 card that's banned in Legacy. If they just wanted to print cards worth money in Green that aren't Tarmogoyf, I would imagine its Glimpse of Nature and Natural Order, but I have my doubts that they would print 0 green creatures as mythics. They fucken love creatures.

hermit7

2. Ravages of War
  3. Force of Will
  4. Show and Tell
  5. Imperial Seal
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Sneak Attack
  8. Imperial Recruiter
  9. Oath of Druids
  10. Natural Order
  11. Mox Diamond
  12. Jitte
  13. Karakas
  15. Liliana of the Veil

Would they reprint elesh norn so soon after mm2?

Not sure who would be a better replacement for her but it seems unlikely considering she was a Mythic there as well.

I still think you could print Shadowmage Infiltrator or Mystic Snake at uncommon in this type of supplemental set, plus there's load of other innocuous stuff like Call of the Herd, Char, Oona's Prowler, etc. You could probably print Birds at uncommon, but that would feel a bit like heresy (maybe something like Utopia Tree?). I'm sure there's a lot more out there if you're just thinking about how to build a limited environment.

Angry Grimace

Would they reprint elesh norn so soon after mm2?

Not sure who would be a better replacement for her but it seems unlikely considering she was a Mythic there as well.

Stoneforge Mystic at Mythic is probably the actual answer since at the very least its worth ~$30 and is a centerpiece for a deck that exists.

hermit7

Stoneforge Mystic at Mythic is probably the actual answer since at the very least its worth ~$30 and is a centerpiece for a deck that exists.

Yeah. I was thinking of building dnt but is sucks that most of the cards for that are all going to be Mythic. (Except for wasteland but that's neither here nor there)

At least the rest of the deck is reasonable and the most expensive pieces are lands. I think I am going to snap up the rest of the deck and buy the lands when ema releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom