• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I still think you could print Shadowmage Infiltrator or Mystic Snake at uncommon in this type of supplemental set, plus there's load of other innocuous stuff like Call of the Herd, Char, Oona's Prowler, etc. You could probably print Birds at uncommon, but that would feel a bit like heresy (maybe something like Utopia Tree?). I'm sure there's a lot more out there if you're just thinking about how to build a limited environment.
Jitte at rare.
Sacred Mesa at uncommon.
Battle Screech at common.

More importantly, I hope they switch the default lands for Eternal Masters on MTGO. Like, they're nice and set-agnostic, but I'm seriously sick of the Unhinged full arts :)

Edit: On another note, I would take a Portal Masters set :) I want more Horsemanship in my life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, this makes sense.

The other problem is that there isn't a good mix of card types at Mythic in the Legacy cardpool that aren't things that already exist in Modern Masters (e.g. Tarmogoyf, Dark Confidant). If you were to print 2 Legacy green mythics, it would probably be Natural Order and Glimpse of Nature, but those are both sorceries that go in Elves. None of the actual Elves themselves make much sense and really, there's just not that many creatures that are particularly Mythic that play a big role in Legacy.

This is also why I think Griselbrand will be in at Mythic: because he's a payoff creature card for a deck that exists even if Griselbrand isn't expensive (particularly the GP promo) and he's super castable in limited since its a format that will assuredly have Dark Ritual at common.

y2dvd

Went 3-0 in drafts at WNM last night with RB aggro. 2 Sludge Crawlers, 3 Zada's Commando, 2 Boulder Salvo, 2 Outnumber, 2 Reality Hemorrhage, an Oblivion Strike and a Stonefury was usually enough to get my little guys through lol.

Jhriad

Eidolon of the Great Revel should likely see a reprint in Eternal Masters. If not now, then the next one. It would be good at mythic for limited purposes.

Too soon. It needs to accrue more reprint equity before it's worth including in a reprint set and EMA is waaay too soon. Sets have a lead time of approx. 2 years so they would have essentially slotted Eidolon into EMA while it was still in Standard. MM2017 will add RTR & Innistrad blocks so it doesn't even slot in there unless they expand it to add Theros block as well (unlikely). From what we know of their history with reprint sets it either ends up in the 2018 supplemental set, EMA2 or whatever, or it slots into the MM2019 as one of the chase cards of the set. If supply gets really low or the price starts to get out of hand they always have the option of including it in a supplemental product like a Duel Deck though I'd say that's unlikely given how large an impact that would have on the reprint equity or they could release it as a promo. Both of those require less lead time than inclusion in a set would so they can wait and see how constrained supply becomes before making a decision. As far as a Promo version goes, if they're banking on it being a premier red card for MM2019, then it would have to be a promo with limited supply like a Judge or RPTQ Promo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The price of Goyf IS down from where it was. I got mine at like $115 each.

Angry Grimace

If Goyf isn't in the set, someone screwed up.

Goyf is an obvious choice that I don't see as likely due to my assumption (which is just that) that they don't want to step on the toes of Modern Masters.

red13th

lol no way Rishadan Port is uncommon. Call of the Herd and Oona's Prowler I can see happening though.
Here's my guess:

1. Ravages of War
2. Balance
3. Force of Will
4. Jace TMS
5. Upheaval
6. Necropotence
7. Imperial Seal
8. Sneak Attack
9. Imperial Recruiter (based on price only), maybe Worldgorger Dragon (with Animate Dead :D)
10. Natural Order
11. Tarmogoyf, maybe Craterhoof Behemoth idk
12. Chrome Mox with Volkan Baga art
13. Umezawa's Jitte
13. Sensei's Divining Top (nvm thought it was rare), Mana Crypt
15. Karakas

Angry Grimace

What about Oath of Druids at Mythic?

Oath of Druids is a $6 card in that is banned in Legacy. I mean, if we're posting an "ideal" list of Mythics that actually see play in Legacy or happen to be worth anything, its more like

1) Ravages of War
2) Stoneforge Mystic
3) Force of Will
4) Jace, the Mind Sculptor
5) Liliana of the Veil
6) Dark Confidant
7) Sneak Attack
8) Imperial Recruiter
9) Natural Order
10) Tarmogoyf
11) Rishadan Port
12) Dark Depths
13) Karakas
14) Umezawa's Jitte
15) Batterskull

Firemind

Remember when we could play Oath of Druids in Extended and its selection of creatures were Morphling and Spike Feeder? Good times.

Joe Molotov

Why would a 4 mana card that digs for 2 guys be good in constructed?

Cards like CoCo that basically taunt your opponent with bullshit you pull off the top are already a bit tilting (but I don't think in and of itself its unacceptable at all), but adding in "lol bounce your guy for 2 turns so I can set up a dumb combo win" is just fucking eye-rolling.

I've seen people start sideboarding Cranial Archive. Hard times, daddy.

Santiako

Remember when we could play Oath of Druids in Extended and its selection of creatures were Morphling and Spike Feeder? Good times.

When I started playing Extended, they were mostly oathing into Cognivores or Phantom Nishobas after sideboard, it was so dumb but it was such a hard creature to kill.

Angry Grimace

I've seen people start sideboarding Cranial Archive. Hard times, daddy.

I don't have to say a whole lot more about the way I feel about Reflector Mage; no respect, no honor. There is no honor among Jhessian Thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet and his family. You don't know what hard times are daddy. Hard times are when the aggro players around this country are out of Tier 1, they got 4 or 5 creatures and can't pay their casting costs. Hard times are when the control players are out of work and they tell 'em to leave FNM. And hard times are when a man has been playing a deck for thirty days, thirty days, and they give him a 4 mana counterspell, kick him in the butt and say "hey a graveyard deck you can't hate out took your place, daddy," that's hard times. And we all had hard times together, and I admit, my deck don't look like the best deck in the format, its mana curve is just a lil' big, the average toughness of its creatures is just a little big, but brother, it is bad. And they know its bad. (Literally, because Rally is too good.)

I went ahead and picked up three more Mox Diamond to finish my play set. They were still priced at 34.99 each, and I had a buy two get one free coupon. That was a sweet, sweet score.

JulianImp

While I've been out of the loop all along and this might come off as "old man yells at cloud", what's the deal with so many people turning to speculation with MtG?

I mean, I get that the way the game has grown as of late means the new players raise the demand for cards from earlier sets, which were all produced in smaller quantities compared to the latest ones, and that difference in player growth might be the deciding factor compared to what has been happening up to now (well, that and Internet making information on hot new decks and strategies to travel unbelievably fast). It looks like card availability's quickly becoming more and more of an issue.

I'm not well versed into how the game's doing right now due to not payying attention to it for over a year (as well as not knowing much about economics), but it kind of sounds to me like there're lots of "rushes" where people try to get their hands on a card before it spikes, and them mob-buying the card actually becomes part of the problem behind the price spike. There's always going to be price increases as more people get into the game while the old card stock stays the same, but I don't know how to feel about people playing the game like it was a stock market...

Ashodin

MTG is totally a stock market though. Cards have value based on their popularity in formats, so players want to stock up on them to either A) collect them or B) sell them after the price spike.

We just happen to have a handy kirblar that can detect market moves before they move.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";195811619]I noticed the same thing this morning. I was hoping to pick one up for EDH, too.[/QUOTE]
Me too. :(

I didn't even know Mox Diamond is on the reserve list. Why was it printed in FTV: Relics then?

Angry Grimace

Me too. :(

I didn't even know Mox Diamond is on the reserve list. Why was it printed in FTV: Relics then?

Prior to 2010 the Reserved List did not apply to foils but a bunch of people complained and they added foils to the list. Under the original policy, Expedition Duals would have been completely legal.

Angry Grimace

That's some fucked up shit.

They removed a bunch of commons and uncommons from Beta from it at one point, as well, which is why Sinkhole isn't on it anymore. Whenever they're hard enough up for money, they'll probably just remove the duals. I don't expect that anytime soon.

Fun fact: when they removed a bunch of the cards from the Reserved List, Randy Buehler wrote an article where he laughed at the idea of printed a bunch of these and then a bunch of them got printed in Time Spiral soon after that, including Psionic Blast, a card he point out specifically as not likely to ever see print.

Why do I hate myself? My LGS had 4 Master of Waves at $5 each, so I picked them up for trading purposes(He's a Tribal card that is a staple in Modern Merfolk). Now I'm looking at Modern Merfolk as a secondary Modern deck because I've wanted a Tribal-esque deck for ages.

They seem to get stuck in their own heads a lot and have a hard time looking at cards in a vacuum of "duh thats pretty good"

I feel like there's a synergy angle that's usually where these guys miss out. Collected Company is fine on its own but better than they expected; Reflector Mage is good when they expected it to be okay; the result of both misevaluations here multiply out to be much more than the issues in a vacuum. This is the most common failure mode for R&D in recent years -- underestimating two different things a little bit, causing them to miss a massive synergy between them.

Jace, though, that's just straight-up failing to evaluate a card correctly.

While I've been out of the loop all along and this might come off as "old man yells at cloud", what's the deal with so many people turning to speculation with MtG?

This is actually the same thing that happened in the very early days, until the massive reprints happened and print runs stabilized.. Then there were something like ten years where recently printed cards didn't meaningfully appreciate post-Standard because the player base was reasonably steady and everything was in plentiful supply -- plus formats using older cards were actually pretty unpopular overall so you didn't see a lot of cards spiking because they were in good, popular decks.

Then the game's popularity massively spiked with Zendikar, which resulted in the player base getting way bigger (and current print runs to match); that same period of increasing popularity also covered the rise of EDH and Modern, both of which are far more popular than older-card formats were in the past. The end result is that suddenly cards from a huge window of time (Urza's Saga to Alara, pretty much) had the potential to massively spike when they previously would not (since now their small supply was insufficient for the number of players.) Once that happened a few times, people got the idea that card values could majorly fluctuate and got more and more into playing the market, both to protect themselves from spikes and to potentially profit on them.

kirblar

pics or it didnt happen
88Gw6Vx.jpg
One on the right. Artifact and the text box are slightly lower by a hair, the card feels thinner than the other 3 (and my Alurens), its noticeably slicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom