• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

It was the one I opened first and it felt "off" before I saw the others, and I was really worried. Then I felt the others, compared em against my Tempest cards, and realized it was just the one outlier.

kirblar

Might be a false alarm, the card is de-slicking as its handled, to where its feeling like the other 3.

So I have no idea (could just be a "low on ink" thing), which puts it into the "I don't care" category, since the odds of it coming up are really small.

WanderingWind apparently just wants to troll me.

Haines

Banned
Imma go commander and then Draft, 9 to 10 hours of magic.

Im in for a draft, but im certain the pod size will be fucked, so my exciement is low. I just need to get out of the house and im to cheap to spend the extra 5 for parking at the good card shop.

is black red even good in this format. I dont think ive seen a single person play it.

ironmang

Im in for a draft, but im certain the pod size will be fucked, so my exciement is low. I just need to get out of the house and im to cheap to spend the extra 5 for parking at the good card shop.

is black red even good in this format. I dont think ive seen a single person play it.

I think it's fine but probably a notch below the Bx Eldrazi and W/B Ally decks.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What's the best way to sell cards? I don't play any more but I bought an OGW pack on a whim and got an expedition.

y2dvd

See my previous post on my draft. It's solid. You have some of the best removals and cheap creatures available. I do think you have to be in an aggro shell to make it work tho.

Second Oath of the Gatewatch survey.

And from the Mothership's February 18 update, this video brought up an interesting point about a clash pack / event deck replacement. He suggests that what makes the Commander decks effective is that while they aren't perfect, they still give you a reasonable chance of being competitive in a Commander game right out of the box, and the replacement should be something similar for Standard. The event decks seem to be approaching this idea, but they were too dumbed down most of the time.

I think something they could do that hopefully wouldn't cannibalize card sales too much is to take a major Standard deck and adjust it to work post-rotation, but without including any cards from the new large set, and the big money cards are mostly from the block that will rotate out next. For example, a deck with a bunch of Jaces and Collected Companies, but no fetchlands, and mostly just support cards from BFZ block.

For example, after searching for a deck that uses Collected Company and Jace, this seems like a good base. Maybe you could just strip out the fetchlands, the Warden of the First Tree, and change up the sideboard and call it a day. Of course, a deck like that would be value town, but if the goal is to make a product that a player could really use to jump into Friday Night Magic, then you can't cheap out too much. I feel like making the money cards mostly from the block that will rotate out next will be sufficient to prevent this from having a big negative influence.

EDIT: Important information: Mark Gottlieb is MaGo.
aguilamagica asked: Hey Mark! Just curious: how does your team differentiate between you and Mark Gotleb in conversation? Do they do last initial? By last name? By nicknames (Maro n' Mark)? Some other way?

When people want to differentiate it is either Rosewater and Gottlieb or Maro and Mago.

kirblar

I don't think the event decks and clash packs were selling well. Especially the latter- lots on big box shelves, and the fact that you can't put the event decks there is an issue.

Yeef

They generally didn't sell well. I don't think they ever, historically, sold well. We stopped even bothering to bring them in eventually.

The problem with his proposed solution; making it a deck that's competitive in standard at the time of release, is that the decks are designed in printed way ahead of time to make sure they're ready to go out with the opening orders. It'd require Wizards to predict what the meta is going to look like ahead of time, which would generally mean that the format would need to be a lot more solvable, which isn't a good thing.

I think the biggest issue with the pre-con decks is that they're afraid of multiples. Generally speaking, they never put more than one copy of any single rare into the decks and often would only have 2 copies of the uncommons. Consistency is the major difference between constructed and limited and not including multiple copies of key cards in the decks made them wildly inconsistent.

The Modern Event Deck actually was pretty well designed and fairly playable without many tweaks out of the box.

I don't think the event decks and clash packs were selling well. Especially the latter- lots on big box shelves, and the fact that you can't put the event decks there is an issue.

I think a big part of that is that people just didn't know what to do with them. With clash packs, the use case appears to be for the customer to be a new player and buy it to play with another friend who is also a new player, but also you can combine the decks to get one weak Standard deck. Event decks were stronger than intro packs but still too weak to actually be useful in a Standard tournament.

I believe a product that would be useful is something that loudly tells a starting player, or a player returning for this Standard, to buy it if you want to be competitive in Friday Night Magic right away. The packaging should outright say that.

EDIT: Maybe basing the deck off of what's doing well in Standard is unreasonable, but I think basically making the deck a Block Constructed deck for the block that will rotate out next, with some embellishments from the following block, would prevent the production time from being too much of an issue. While it wouldn't be the best deck, I feel like it would be reasonably competitive. It's not like a ramp deck that still used Dragonlord Atarka instead of Eldrazi would be terrible.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

...can't put event decks where? They sell the Event Deck at Target...

They generally didn't sell well. I don't think they ever, historically, sold well. We stopped even bothering to bring them in eventually.

The problem with his proposed solution; making it a deck that's competitive in standard at the time of release, is that the decks are designed in printed way ahead of time to make sure they're ready to go out with the opening orders. It'd require Wizards to predict what the meta is going to look like ahead of time, which would generally mean that the format would need to be a lot more solvable, which isn't a good thing.

I think the biggest issue with the pre-con decks is that they're afraid of multiples. Generally speaking, they never put more than one copy of any single rare into the decks and often would only have 2 copies of the uncommons. Consistency is the major difference between constructed and limited and not including multiple copies of key cards in the decks made them wildly inconsistent.

The Modern Event Deck actually was pretty well designed and fairly playable without many tweaks out of the box.
WOTC needs to do a better job predicting the meta to begin with. Whatever it is they are doing, they just keep letting format warping shit through without testing it.

As for Event Decks, they will never be good and the solution isn't to make them better because you can't without just printing a bunch of rares and throwing them in, but that isn't a thing WOTC could or should do because the inability to just buy cheap singles straight from the manufacturer is part of the scheme by which WOTC makes all of its money.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I thought those were LGS only?

Nope, they've been selling them at Target and Walmart for a while now.

The answer is probably just discontinuing them. They don't sell to the target audience - they're either bad or entrenched players buy them for value and throw everything else away.

kirblar

Nope, they've been selling them at Target and Walmart for a while now.

The answer is probably just discontinuing them. They don't sell to the target audience - they're either bad or entrenched players buy them for value and throw everything else away.
The whole point of the decks was to be ready-made things for FNM, of course they wouldn't sell at big box stores.

bigkrev

Clash Packs are the one worth trying to save I think- it's a good learning tool, and the combined deck is usually perfectly fine for casual. They need to drop the MSRP by $10 though and price it like Duel Decks though.

kirblar

Clash Packs are the one worth trying to save I think- it's a good learning tool, and the combined deck is usually perfectly fine for casual. They need to drop the MSRP by $10 though and price it like Duel Decks though.
I think that's the big issue- they now have themed Duel Decks for the upcoming plane twice a year.

Angry Grimace

I liked the ones with Planeswalkers in them though, although they always gave them the most atrocious fucking art.

OnPoint

The whole point of the decks was to be ready-made things for FNM, of course they wouldn't sell at big box stores.
If they weren't mostly ass that would have been a good product. But they were usually not very good. Hard to make a product like that with a constantly shifting meta.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Was anyone looking for some Alpha tier hosers?
Cbmn_fKW8AAM2P3.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
tfw you play your first game of mtg in 10 years, a newcomer mtgo tournament, and your first game is against the guy who apparently opened every single vampire-ally in OGW and BFZ including his mythic rare
DZtLeiS.gif
DZtLeiS.gif
DZtLeiS.gif

Crocodile

I thought the most recent Event deck they had was perhaps one of the most competitive ones they've ever made. So they were clearly improving but I guess they were selling poorly for too long at that point. I'll be honest though that whenever I bought Clash/Event/Duel Decks, its always to rip them apart for value or singles.

3-0'd my draft today actually didn't drop a single game in 3 rounds. BW what a surprise.

First picked an Essence Depleter over a Cliffhaven Vampire then got a 2nd Essence Depleter pack 2 7th (!) pick. Also had an Ondu War Cleric, a Zulaport Chainmage, a Vampire Envoy, a Drana's Emissary and an Oath of Gideon for the ally side. Felidar Cub for the sideboard.

BFZ pack was pretty bad but except the Drana's Emissary and Hedron Archive, had a Captain's Claw but not a single rally ally.

Won at least 2 games not attacking once.

noquarter

I tried to go the B/W route as well this time, didn't get much good so splashing U. Don't expect much from my pile this week. Think next week I'm going G/x, last three times G has been wide open.

Angry Grimace

Green is a lot better than it was in BFZx3, but you still need to get a couple of good uncommons or rares (e.g. Birthing Hulk) to make it worth going into.

I've been known to draft a lot of Tajuru Pathwardens lol

The best drafts I've had in the format involved Scion Summoners, Eldrazi Skyspawners and Saddleback Lagacs.

Haines

Banned
First place another draft,

Red white, like 3 zada, 2 weapon trainer, 3 support 2, the support 3 person, bonesaw, ogre, good removal blah blah blah

probably my last game of magic til the new set,

Bfz was a cool introduction, oath and bfz was pretty cool, and i think the next set will probably blow me away and a mechanic like madness is right up my alley

Have fun yall off to play some reno mage on hearthstone, maybe my favorite deck ive played in a card game yet

Matriox

Played some fnm today for the first time in ages. Turned out to be modern so I brought Uw Turns. Ended up tieing for first and packed open a foil wastes,linvala, and reality Smasher. Good day overall.

noquarter

Ended up going 1-2, only play three rounds here. The first match I pretty much gave away by keeping bad hands and drawing just as bad.

Matches 2 and 3 were much better. Last game I lost due to Nissa, From Beyond and Sylvan Carytid plus Awaken spells.

Joe Molotov

lawl, I drafted Mono-Red and everyone was just passing straight fucking gas. I almost could have built two decks, I only took 4 off-color cards. I kinda felt bad because clearly I was not drafting in a skilled pool, but on the other hand...I didn't feel that bad.

I was going to take a picture of my draft, but I forgot and already threw away my commons and crap, From memory though, my pulls were:
1x Reckless Bushwhacker
1x Zada's Commando
1x Embodiment of Fury
2x Devour in Flames
2x Boulder Salvo
1x Reality Hemorrhage
1x Tyrant of Valakut
2x Goblin Freerunner
1x Cinder Hellion
2x Brute Strength
2x Akoum Flamespeaker
2x Maw of Kozilek
1x Kozilek's Return
1x Immobilizer Eldrazi
1x Belligerant Whiptail
1x Boiling Earth
2x Lavastep Raider
2x Outnumber
1x Reckless Cohort
1x Rolling Thunder
2x Stonefury
1x Touch of the Void
1x Valakut Predator
1x Vestiage of Emrakul

And then several Wastes, a Looming Spires, a Bane of Bala Ged, and a few random blue cards and a Greenwarden that I rare drafted for some reason because I dunno. Mainly, I was just happy to pick up another Kozilek's Return.

Looking for

x3 Chalice of the Void
x3 Dark Confidant (RAV)
x1 Green Sun's Zenith
x1 Gaddock Teeg
x4 Knight of the Reliquary
x1 Dark Depths
x1 Thespian's Stage

Toxi

Banned
Wow, even though it's been an entire month I just found out Prophet of Kruphix was finally banned in Commander. Shows how much Magic I've been playing for the last few months when it took me that long to notice.

Glad to see that obnoxious card gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom