• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Dumb conspiracy time: does anyone else think that Nissa VoZ and Nissa Sage Animist were swapped at some point during development? Sage Animist almost seems like it fits better into BFZ block then Voice does, considering it has Ashaya, is able to trigger Landfall, etc to the point where I'm left wondering why it was in Origins and not Oath.
Uh, one's a flip card, one's not?

Uh, one's a flip card, one's not?

I mean the Walker side. I know Sage Animist is the flip side, but I'm wondering if Sage Animist(by itself) was switched for VoZ in design somewhere.

I mean, look at Voice of Zendikar. The abilities on it (minus the plant token) are very clearly designed for a heavy board presence. She wants you to have a bunch of lands/creatures out(see -2 and Ult) Nissa needs 7 lands to flip.

Sage Animist works with Landfall, makes an Ashaya Token, and turns the land into creatures. That just seems more in line with BFZ to me

Toxi

Banned
The card has a picture of the giant Pyrulea leaves, but there's nothing about the phrase "Horizon Canopy" that's particular to that place. Burnwillows are a specific thing.
No reason there can't be burnwillows on Zendikar. They'd fit the setting pretty well.

Joe Molotov

Nice camerawork, SCGLive

i4r2Ugb.jpg

OnPoint

How do Magic players function as human beings when seeing a little bit of cleavage sends them into a dither
It's super irritating and makes me not want to be associated lol
I mean the Walker side. I know Sage Animist is the flip side, but I'm wondering if Sage Animist(by itself) was switched for VoZ in design somewhere.

I mean, look at Voice of Zendikar. The abilities on it (minus the plant token) are very clearly designed for a heavy board presence. She wants you to have a bunch of lands/creatures out(see -2 and Ult) Nissa needs 7 lands to flip.

Sage Animist works with Landfall, makes an Ashaya Token, and turns the land into creatures. That just seems more in line with BFZ to me
Would not surprise me

Yeef

I doubt it. Given the time frame of development, it seems unlikely. They put cards in the core set for the upcoming block all the time. The flip walkers are supposed to represent the core of the character; Chandra is all about damage, Nissa is all about lands, Jace is all about value, etc.

OGW also takes the focus off of landfall (there's only 2 landfall cards in the set) and puts it more squarely on colorless-costs on the Eldrazi side and going wide on the Zendikari side. Nissa, Voice plays into that.

ironmang

Won another pptq today. Standard with pretty stock abzan. Barely play the format and had to play against rally twice which was likely the worst matches of magic Ive played in years. Glad that shit is rotating so i dont really have to learn the matchup lol.

Collected Company+Eternal Witness+Flickerwisp is legitimately hilarious to play with. Someone on Cockatrice was getting super salty over it occuring at the end step.

ironmang

So anything interesting happen at the scg open besides the cleavage meltdown? Did they talk about if eldrazi was dominating the top tables or if there's some bad matchup discovered that's keeping it somewhat in check?

So anything interesting happen at the scg open besides the cleavage meltdown? Did they talk about if eldrazi was dominating the top tables or if there's some bad matchup discovered that's keeping it somewhat in check?

In the beginning of the day, there was a lot of Eldrazi being beaten. The rounds I watched had Eldrazi(U/W on Stream at least) beating a lot of decks.

No reason there can't be burnwillows on Zendikar.

I mean... sure there is, the reason is that they already designed the world and there aren't any. Flavor stretches but it's also one of the big selling points of the game so it doesn't stretch infinitely. Nobody's gonna cash in their cred points to get a (relatively) unimportant, blatantly flavor-inappropriate card shoved through in a reprint set like the Expeditions.

That's why they put Sage Animist out beforehand, so it could play right away with the landfall and awaken cards in BFZ.

Maledict

I really don't get the 'burnwillows' thing. I enjoy Mgaic lore, I read the stories and like to see events in the cards - and I have absolutely no idea where a Burnwillow comes from or why I should be bothered if there were some on Zendikar.

I can understand if suddenly we're putting Elves on Innistrad, or Cephalids on Mirrodin, but this seems like something 99.9% of players wouldn't even notice and if it's good for the game to have them in the set that should absolutely override the tiny fraction of people who would be upset over the fact Zendikar doesn't have Burn willows (heck out of all the planes Zendikar looks the most likely to have some random trees on fire).

Whatever a Burnwillow is.

Kerrinck

Trade question, folks.
Which would you rather pick?
Pile A: 4 Cavern of Souls, 1 MM2015 Spellskite Pile B: 1 SP Revised Volcanic Island
I'm kinda tempted to grab the volcanic for my edh and since I am pretty sure cavern will be eventually reprinted, I can definitely wait till that happens.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Trade question, folks.
Pile A: 4 Cavern of Souls, 1 MM2015 Spellskite Pile B: 1 SP Revised Volcanic Island
I'm kinda tempted to grab the volcanic for my edh and since I am pretty sure cavern will be eventually reprinted, I can definitely wait till that happens.

Volcanic. The others will be reprinted and will drop in price. On a long enough timeline. Volcanic will one day cost enough so you could trade it for a new kidney.

Crocodile

Nice camerawork, SCGLive

Not going to lie, it took until I read the rest of the posts in this thread to see what the "issue" here was. I was focused on the battlefield. I agree with most others though that this is a pretty big non-issue. Unless the camera was going creep mode (which if it was the case I assume I would have heard about it on twitter) this doesn't even seem like something worth discussing much. Was there an actual "meltdown" or are people in this thread talking about it more than anyone else online did? :p

Santiako

U/W Eldrazi seems to be the big player on that tournament.

Edit: Adarkar Wastes sold out on SCG and others lol

Lucario

Trade question, folks.

Volcanic, and it's not even close. Whoever's trading the volc is getting ripped for around $100.

U/W Eldrazi seems to be the big player on that tournament.

Edit: Adarkar Wastes sold out on SCG and others lol

U/W Eldrazi completely destroys in the mirror; getting your Endless Ones killed by Displacer is obnoxious. Really soft to Bridge, though.

ironmang

Does anybody know off hand if they send you the snapcaster promo if you play in a MTGO RPTQ? Nearest store running an RPTQ is like 7 hours away so looks like I'll just be doing it online.

bigkrev

Considering we are months away from a BR list announcement and there hasn't been a single major Modern tournament since the PT before this week, the idea that they have already decided on the ban list is hilarious

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does Eye of Ugin even have latent value when it isn't broken via Temple?

Edit: That is, is Eldrazi even still playable without temple?

Of course. Both are fast mana for Eldrazi. In fact, with Urborg, Eye generates 3 mana for the deck. Temple doesn't allow for T1 degeneracy like Eye. Temple doesn't allow the deck to shift into control via repeatable tutoring. Temple taps for 2 mana. Eye gets exponentially better as the game goes on because it's generating 2 mana for every card you want to play and not just the once.

Santiako

Considering we are months away from a BR list announcement and there hasn't been a single major Modern tournament since the PT before this week, the idea that they have already decided on the ban list is hilarious

Yeah, I really doubt they have decided already on what to ban.

bigkrev

Does Eye of Ugin even have latent value when it isn't broken via Temple?

Edit: That is, is Eldrazi even still playable without temple?

What makes the Eldrazi deck broken age the T1 Eye into multiple Endless Ones/Eldrazi Mimics. Temple just functions as a Mox and jumps you ahead one turn, where Eye can easily generate 8-10 mana in 2 turns

Daedardus

I don't think they've decided what to ban, but with the recent tournament standings it's almost guarenteed they will do something about Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sure they *have* already decided what to ban. They're just not going to do it until SOI's B&R.

I really don't get the 'burnwillows' thing. I enjoy Mgaic lore, I read the stories and like to see events in the cards - and I have absolutely no idea where a Burnwillow comes from or why I should be bothered if there were some on Zendikar.

If you're in the business of selling fantasy worldbuilding to people, and you're the best in the industry at it, you actually make a bunch of money from customers who care about it. That means you need to have a solid staff that are happy about their job so you keep being the best. When you hire creative people to do something and then keep randomly overruling them on shit relevant to their job for unrelated reasons, they get pissed off, and when creative people are pissed off they do shittier work.

Like, it doesn't actually matter if they just decide there are burnwillows on Zendikar, but it matters (to the tune of real money) if the company just constantly meddles with what the team does over minor shit. (Same thing happens with the game design teams at a lot of companies to their detriment, and same thing happens now in the WotC digital team which is why people like Jon Loucks left.) It's just not a habit you get into if you know what you're doing managing a product like this.

I want to note too that there's actually like zero value to the company to printing Grove as an expedition since that reprinting has zero downward effect on card prices and the set of lands they did print was perfectly effective at the goal of the promotion so it actually wouln't have been "good for the game" in any way?

Was there an actual "meltdown" or are people in this thread talking about it more than anyone else online did? :p

One prominent woman who plays Magic tweeted a single time about it so it's very important now everyone freak out about how unreasonable the response has been. :p

The announcement is six weeks away, it's pretty unlikely the announcement is even finalized. The reddit poster already threw a fit and bounced.

I'm sure they *have* already decided what to ban. They're just not going to do it until SOI's B&R.

Based on what they've described about the process in the past, they usually decide on a preliminary list pretty early on, but don't set it in stone until maybe a week before the announcement. In the big affinity banning they added more and more cards to their initial list as the weeks went on.

Yeef

Does anybody know off hand if they send you the snapcaster promo if you play in a MTGO RPTQ? Nearest store running an RPTQ is like 7 hours away so looks like I'll just be doing it online.
If you do an online RPTQ, you get the promo on MTGO; not a physical card.

[EDIT] Source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/...ouncement-pro-tour-battle-zendikar-2015-10-18

Players who compete in a Magic Online Regional Pro Tour Qualifier will instead receive an online version of this promo card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The online promo is worth basically nothing so don't do it on MTGO unless you have to drive 7 hours to get it (in which case it is assuredly not worth it unless you don't value your time)

ironmang

The online promo is worth basically nothing so don't do it on MTGO unless you have to drive 7 hours to get it (in which case it is assuredly not worth it unless you don't value your time)

Ya it's real shitty. The one I went to in October was less than 2 hours away and I had 2 qualified friends to travel with. I'm the first I know to qualify for this one and they decided to not run any remotely close to Western PA despite the Ohio/Maryland/PA area having some of the biggest turnouts for tournaments.

ironmang

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think they'll ban Eye and one of the good cheap Eldrazi (Mimic, TKS) to make the good fairer and not unplayable.

if you ban eye then you don't need to ban the cheap eldrazi, do you? turn 1 eye means you can cast 2-3 mimics in your first turn which transform into 2-3 4/4s in turn 2 when you play a 2 mana TKS off eldrazi temple. removing eye means 1 mimic on turn 1, another mimic on turn 2, and TKS + 2 4/4 mimics on turn 3.

Angry Grimace

Temple and Eye both do unfair things. Eye is gone, Temple is like 50% I imagine.

traveler

Not Wario
I really want to build death and taxes, but I guess it makes zero sense to pursue the deck till Eternal Masters is out as there's a nonzero chance that literally the entire deck shows up in the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom